• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Not bad for a brief view ;)

trekaddict said:
hmmm why do I get the feeling that one of these men might be an old friend of ours from Spain whose name I have forgotten? You know the one who got send into the german zone to stirr up trouble?
I expect the same. Vivar, or something? Rodrigo Vivar? .. I only just noticed that's mostly El Cid's name. :rofl: Hopefully these men aren't silly enough to charge this cafe.

trekaddict: Hmmm...could be.

Sheepguard: Thanks, I really appreciate it.

Hannibal Barca2: Maybe. Either trekaddict or yourself has the right answer. I will say that there was an important clue to his identity in the update.

Kurt Steiner: Thanks

SgtPepper20: It certainly would seem that somebody's life is about to get complicated, wouldn't it?

HKslan: The character's name was Rodrigo Vivar and it was meant to be a hidden reference to El Cid. Just confirming about the name, not the identity of the man in the last update.

Hardraade, little devil, you've changed the update... No Guderian this time...

Dunno why but I think that Wolf is going to find some... unexpected jet movement, poetically speaking. :D

Kurt_Steiner said:
Hardraade, little devil, you've changed the update... No Guderian this time...

Dunno why but I think that Wolf is going to find some... unexpected jet movement, poetically speaking. :D

I'm not sure what you mean. I did fix a spelling mistake that I happened to notice, but Guderian wasn't in the last update.

Then I have read a different update... Dunno why, but I have the feeling I've read an update some hundreths pages ago... I found it odd to see Guderian fighthing again in Spain... Gosh, I got lost... REAL lost...

Kurt_Steiner said:
Then I have read a different update... Dunno why, but I have the feeling I've read an update some hundreths pages ago... I found it odd to see Guderian fighthing again in Spain... Gosh, I got lost... REAL lost...
:rofl: Well, earlier in the AAR Guderian was in Spain. He was mentioned on page one and again during whatever page the surrender was on.

Hardraade said:
:rofl: Well, earlier in the AAR Guderian was in Spain. He was mentioned on page one and again during whatever page the surrender was on.

Er.... Hardraade, my good mate, keep me the secret...

I've read not your last update, but the one on the first page...

Charming, isn't it... :D

Kurt_Steiner said:
Er.... Hardraade, my good mate, keep me the secret...

I've read not your last update, but the one on the first page...

Charming, isn't it... :D

Your secret is safe with me, my good man. Hopefully it will also be safe with whoever else reads this page. :D

Assuming that you have read the actual last update, what did you think?

Yes, I've read it.

Dunno why, I feel that Helmuth is going to have a visit that no one expects, and, even if may be a Spanish one, it's not the Inquisition of Cardinal Ximenez... :D

Kurt_Steiner said:
Yes, I've read it.

Dunno why, I feel that Helmuth is going to have a visit that no one expects, and, even if may be a Spanish one, it's not the Inquisition of Cardinal Ximenez... :D
It seems that poor Helmut is destined to have a difficult, but certainly not boring, life.

Hmmmm,

Isn't the Spaniard going to be the Partisan who escaped from the annilation of that Spanish village? Forget his name.....but Helmut better keep his back covered..... Nice update as always..

KLorberau

KLorberau said:
Hmmmm,

Isn't the Spaniard going to be the Partisan who escaped from the annilation of that Spanish village? Forget his name.....but Helmut better keep his back covered..... Nice update as always..

KLorberau

You may be thinking of Rodrigo Vivar, one of my long lost characters. Whoever it is, Helmut would indeed do well to stay alert.

Next update will post on Monday.

I finally got through this very intriguing read, it only took me two weeks reading on my lunch breaks. This is very well written and very suspenseful; there have been a few days I was late finishing lunch as I had to read just one more post. I look forward to more great reading. Keep up the great work.

Beancounter69 said:
I finally got through this very intriguing read, it only took me two weeks reading on my lunch breaks. This is very well written and very suspenseful; there have been a few days I was late finishing lunch as I had to read just one more post. I look forward to more great reading. Keep up the great work.

I'm glad that you're enjoying the story, and I appreciate the kind words. Thanks for reading.

Next update will be up a little later today.

March 3, 1940
Paris, France

The three men glanced at one another and turned to take a second look at the group of SS men who were disappearing inside the establishment across the street, particularly at the man who had been pointed out to them as Helmut Wolf. Turning back forward, one of the Frenchmen, a middle-aged man named Henri, asked the man who he knew as "John", "Kill him? Are you serious?"

"Deadly serious.", was the answer from across the table.

Henri shook his head slowly and responded, "Impossible, simply impossible."

"Why?"

Henri gave an exasperated sigh and replied, "We simply can't start blasting away at every SS officer we see. The response would be absolutely brutal. Just look at what the Germans did in Argentan after their patrols starting getting attacked."

John gave a start and exclaimed, "That's it!"

Henri shared a confused look with his companions as John continued, "That's why Wolf is here. The Germans captured a number of Free French members during the crackdown in Argentan right?"

Henri nodded, "Yes they did. Many of those seized were leading members in the resistance."

"These leaders, I assume that locked away in their heads is information that could be devastating to your movement should the Germans discover it?"

Looking pained, Henri replied, "Of course. This is something that we are all concerned about. However, those men are brave patriots. They will not betray us to the Germans."

"Believe me, Wolf will get whatever he wants from them. He's an old hand at that sort of thing, and I'm sure that's why he's here."

"Who is this man that we should be so afraid of him?", asked Henri.

John closed his eyes and took a deep breath. When he opened his eyes again, Henri could see that they were filled with rage and hate as he spoke, "Helmut Wolf was an intelligence operative with a division of the SS called the Sicherheitsdienst. He was a pupil of Reinhard Heydrich and first came to our attention in late 1936 through some contacts of ours in the German intelligence services. Wolf had posed as a Wehrmacht officer opposed to the Nazis in order to infiltrate a resistance movement that was being put together by several high ranking members of the old military establishment. Due to his actions, the entire resistance movement was destroyed and it's leaders executed. In addition, Wolf personally murdered the operative that we had put in contact with the resistance group."

He had the undivided attention of the Frenchmen as he continued while unconsciously rubbing his leg, "We tried to exact vengeance for the murder, but Wolf survived and was eventually sent to deal with partisan activity in occupied Spain. We don't know much about what he did there, but we do know that the entire province rose in revolt not long after his arrival. The rebels claimed that the uprising was in response to the actions of the SS in the province. Though we can't say that Wolf was involved or what he may have done, here's something very interesting: Wolf was arrested and convicted of crimes against the Spanish people immediately afterward by the military governor. He was sentenced to death, but was saved by Heydrich and sent back to Germany. We lost track of him after that, but we had word that he might have been moved to some sort of special unit after returning to Germany."

Henri leaned back in his chair and let what he had been told sink in. After a moment he said, "You certainly seem very well informed about this man."

"As I said, we have some contacts within the German intelligence services who are opposed to the Nazis. Most of what we know about Wolf comes from them. He has also been a sort of project of mine, maybe an obsession would be more accurate. I personally suspect him of certain crimes against the British people, but am almost alone in this. The important thing to remember is that Wolf specializes in handling dissidents and partisans. He will get the information he wants from your men, no question. Assuming that he's in charge, I'll tell you right now that his actions here will far surpass what happened in Argentan. The man has no conscience, no remorse. He will crush your organization and spare no one."

After he finished speaking, the four men sat in absolute silence for long minutes. It was Henri who spoke first, "He seems like a dangerous man, but perhaps his appearance here is a coincidence and nothing more. After all, there are thousands and thousands of Germans in Paris right now. Perhaps he is just part of the garrison. You said yourself that he was moved out of his old intelligence job."

John shook his head, "Not a chance. You don't put a man like Helmut Wolf on garrison duty. He's here for your friends."

"Perhaps you don't have the best perspective on this. You obviously have a personal grudge against this man. Is it possible that you are making him out to be more of a threat than he really is?", asked Henri.

John vehemently shook his head and responded, "I'm telling you that he is the single greatest danger to your movement. If you want to survive, you'll kill him before he can get his hands on your people."

Henri replied, "We have no intention of letting our people reach anyone in Paris. We know that they are being transferred here from Argentan very soon. The only thing that we haven't been able to discover is the route that they will be taking. Now, if we were to go around killing every German who makes you nervous, this place would be crawling with soldiers looking for blood and we would have no chance of getting the information we need or of effecting a rescue. No, our best option will be to find out what route the Germans will be using and intercept them."

John could see that further argument would be pointless and remained silent. He supposed that Henri was right, intercepting the prisoners would be the best option. He reasoned that suddenly seeing Wolf again after all these years may have clouded his judgment, and tried to turn his mind away from Helmut Wolf. Turning his gaze up the street, he saw a young German soldier exit a small jewelers shop and step into a nearby perfume store. Something about the soldier tickled his memory and he realized that it was he same soldier who had dropped Wolf off across the street. With a smile, John rose to his feet and began walking in the direction of the perfume store, telling his French contacts that he would meet them later. If you can't ask the man himself what he's up to , he thought, ask his driver. And one way or another, I'll find out what Wolf is doing in Paris.