• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hardraade said:
Onward with my Panzer II and IIIs into France! What the hell, the pickups too. BLITZKREIG!

AMEN!

[nitpciker]although it says Blitzkrieg instead of blitzkreig[/nitpicker] ;)

Hardraade said:
Whoops, I before E after all :eek:o . I have fixed it, thanks

No problem. ;)

Nice updates ! Congrats too for your results at your exams !!
Nice to see Helmut proved himself to be a decent frontline commander.
Good action scene, typical for the early waffen ss style : take them head on, no matter how many cassualties !
Another action scene comes to mind : Panzer-Meyer and his men storming the Metaxas line in Greece - the anecdote with the egg-granate. Anyone know this one ?
Both Eicke and Dietrich got called Butchers by the regular army officers. Hausser was the only one they didn't dissaprove at that stage of war, after all he was ex-wehrmacht.

vladimirowich said:
Another action scene comes to mind : Panzer-Meyer and his men storming the Metaxas line in Greece - the anecdote with the egg-granate. Anyone know this one ?

I vaguely remember a story about an SS officer who threw the grenade behind his men to "encourage" them to charge forward against the enemy positions. This is probably just one of those stories that has grown into a great story but as I recall, they all had a hearty laugh about it once the Greeks were defeated.

I imagine some of them might have laughed a little nervously :wacko:

:) Jesper

Hannibal Barca2 said:
Just like saying; "Go and sacrifice yourself for the fatherland or the fatherland will blast you head off"

Well... as long as it works :eek:
Nicely put. :D

Hardraade said:
Nicely put. :D

The russians did exactly that through the early days of the war in the east. :eek:

trekaddict said:
The russians did exactly that through the early days of the war in the east. :eek:
Indeed, a sad waste of infantry. Not from the German perspective of course. ;)

Last edited:
aidsizedf19391mu1.jpg

German machine gun crew watching the border after the conquest of Holland

The German attack on the Netherlands was swift and decisive. On the very first day of the offensive all Dutch military formations were defeated and the major city of Eindhoven was occupied by elements of the III. Panzerarmee before the sun had set. Two days later, and without a fight, Amsterdam fell into German hands. Although the fast moving German panzer units had been unable to prevent the flight of the Dutch government and royal family, they were able to secure the port area before two destroyer squadrons could escape or be scuttled. Even as the German naval ensign was raised above these ships, scattered resistance to the German forces in Holland was fading and all fighting ended by the fifth day of the campaign. The flight of the royal family and the totality of the German victory stunned and demoralized the Dutch people who offered no resistance as the new Reich Minister of Security, Reinhard Heydrich, set about transforming the country into a province of the Greater German Reich. To the Allies, the fall of the Netherlands was a severe psychological blow as it reinforced the perception of the invincible German war machine that Dr. Goebbels' propaganda was putting forward. The only spot of bright news for the Allies during this time came from an unlikely place.

As German forces were overwhelming the Dutch Army, the German Nordsee Flotte under the command of Grand Admiral Erich Raeder had sailed north with the intention of both demonstrating the power of Germany's new aircraft carrier the KMS Friedrich der Grobe, and of striking a blow at British pride by bombing the naval base at Scapa Flow. As the German fleet approached the base, it was confronted and engaged by the British Home Fleet which was not thought to be in the area and was also none too happy to find German warships in British waters. After a brief engagement in which several of his ships sustained heavy damage, Admiral Raeder realized that his fleet was outmatched and ordered a withdrawal. Although he was able to successfully disengage from the British fleet, a flight of land based naval bombers fell upon his forces the next day as they retreated back towards Germany. During the assault the KMS Deutschland received a mortal blow and sank beneath the waves with her crew of over one thousand men and officers. The loss of the proud vessel was a blow to a Kriegsmarine that already could not face the Royal Navy ship to ship, and the loss of a ship bearing the name Deutschland had a less than comforting effect on the German population.

deutschlandunknowne77d7oo4.jpg

The KMS Deutschland in better times.

After securing Holland, the Wehrmacht settled in for another period of rest. Days stretched into weeks as the Germans replaced lost men and equipment, and it began to seem as if they were settling in for the winter as October turned to November and snow began to fall on western Europe. The Allies breathed a sigh of relief at what would be, at least, a four to five month reprieve during which they could prepare to take the fight to the Germans with an offensive of their own.

This was not to be the case. On the morning of November 21, one month after German forces had begun their advance in Holland, the Belgian populace woke to the sound of bombs falling from the sky. Soon afterward, panicked reports of German troops swarming over the border began to reach Brussels and the stunned Belgian government. Hitler had won his argument with his generals that a winter campaign against France could be successful and Fall Gelb was underway.

germanartillerynewsizedcq4.jpg

German heavy artillery piece just before opening fire on Belgian positions.

Just was to post a little something today as I'm not too sure when I'll be getting a chance again. I knew that I would be short on words so I made sure to include plenty of pictures. :D

Last edited:

I like it. So aircraft carriers, eh? Seems that Plan Z was executed fully this time.

Expanding the Reich early is a fine thing indeed. Too bad about the Kriegsmarine and the Deutschland. I never have any luck expanding my German fleet except for Subs....Takes too long, and so much else has to be put off as it is built.

I see the fall of France coming 5 month earlier than historical, and perhaps Switzerland and Sweden too?

KLorberau

Let's see what is capable of doing the Eagle in Winter...

By the way...

officers20show20stuff20r4rd.jpg

Otto, if you drink, don't drive, please. :D

trekaddict: Yeah, my surface fleet is actually pretty strong. Though not as strong as the Royal Navy apparently. ;)

KLorberau: Sweden and Switzerland? Are you suggesting that the German people are land hungry warmongers? I am shocked sir, shocked. :D

Kurt Steiner: :rofl: Will Otto ever live that night down?

Jushu: Thanks and will do.

Kurt_Steiner said:
By the way...

officers20show20stuff20r4rd.jpg

Otto, if you drink, don't drive, please. :D

ahahahahah

Hardraade said:
vladimirowich: Thanks. Glad you enjoyed the battle scene.

Commander-DK: I never heard that particular story. Pretty cold blooded if it did happen.

It did happen. Kurt Meyer was leader of the Leibstandarte reconaissance batallion at that time if my memory serves me right and during their assault on the Metaxas line they suddenly found themselves pinned down by very accurate Greek machinegun-fire. Neither of Meyers men dared going forward no matter what he tried. Meyer then suddenly took one of his egg-granates, yelled at his men to have them look his way, pulled the pin out of the granate and rolled it behind the last man of his battalion. Needless to say the fellow jumped forward almost instantly hereby breaking the tension.
Meyer was adored by his men. He later commanded the Hitlerjugend division in Normandy and was accused of war crimes.

Hardraade said:
Kurt Steiner: :rofl: Will Otto ever live that night down?

I hope so. The motorcycle... well... we shall see... :D