• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
HKslan said:
I second that congratulations. I hope the new job works out for you.

To be honest, I like these characters. I like these characters to the extent that I'd rather see an AAR devoid of combat instead of any one of them getting killed. :D So particularly exciting or no, I still have to hope they're docile.

And no thanks necessary. I should be thanking you, you're the one doing the work to provide us with good reading, and especially now that this is bound to get more difficult for you with your new job. :D Thanks.

I thank you for your well wishes as well as for your kind words about my little story.

I'm glad you like the characters I've crafted for this AAR. I certainly feel that I don't want anything to happen to them either. Unfortunately, Germany cannot avoid conflict forever and they will soon find themselves in harm's way. Sooner or later, I'll have some tough decisions to make about their futures.

Well that worked well, perhaps it will help to resucitate his career. Or provide a different avenue for advancement. I wonder, perhaps Canaris needs some SS stooges? ;)

stnylan said:
Well that worked well, perhaps it will help to resucitate his career. Or provide a different avenue for advancement. I wonder, perhaps Canaris needs some SS stooges? ;)

I think Helmut is pretty much out of the intelligence game, but as a military man who knows? Any kind of alliance with Canaris, sadly, cannot happen. Canaris was one of the leaders of the resistance ring that Helmut helped bring down and is... out of the picture shall we say.

Sept. 29, 1938
Munich, Germany

Six months had passed since the Anschluss and once again the eyes of the world were fixed upon Germany. The leaders of the great European powers had come to the city of Munich to discuss the Sudetenland crisis that threatened to once again bring war to Europe only twenty years after the horrors of the Great War. Hitler wanted the Sudetenland and the Allies wanted peace. It was a time of great significance, and the world held it's breath.

What does and does not qualify as significant, however, is often very relative. To Helmut Wolf, seated at a small table in a Munich restaurant, the only thing of great significance right then was the young woman seated across from him. His eyes were for her only and his breath caught in his chest when she smiled. The world might be looking to the great statesmen in Munich, but he was looking to her and she was the world. Since meeting her after the Fuhrer's birthday celebration back in April, he had found himself inexplicably drawn to her and had begun to spend much of his free time meeting up with this fascinating and beautiful young woman. Free time that I have now in ample amount, he thought.

The bitterness of that thought crashed into the bliss he had thus far been experiencing. While he sat here miles away, the Whermacht had taken up positions on the Czech border. Included in this force were elements of the Brandenburgers Battalion, specifically those who were Sudeten Volksdeutsch. Helmut had been by turns crushed and outraged when he had heard that he was to be left behind while his comrades marched off to what could be war.

Thoughts of friends in harms way led his mind back to the letter he had in his pocket from his brother Otto whose unit was positioned somewhere outside of Breslau in preparation of a possible war with Czechoslovakia. In it his brother had sounded somewhat upbeat (for him) and had proudly stated that he was in command of one of two heavy panzer companies attached to his division. He commanded a total of thirty-six of the Whermacht's brand new heavy panzer design a sketch of which had been included in the letter. Helmut had simultaneously marveled at Private Lorenz's drawing ability as well as the fact that the letter had made it through the censors. The subject of the drawing, however, did not impress Helmut in the least. To him, it looked as if someone had dropped a box onto a panzer chassis and had then jammed a long tube into one side of the box. But then, thought Helmut, Otto seems really excited about it and he would know more than me right?

sel12852bc7f0im0.jpg

Private Lorenz's drawing of the Sturer Emil VK3001 Heavy Panzer

Helmut had puzzled over what appeared to be a heart with the letter M in the center of it on the forward section of the turret, but found an explanation in the postscript. They had decided to call their panzer Marlene, after a waitress in a Berlin bar that Corporal Schneider fancied and had many a time drunkenly proclaimed that he would marry someday. Helmut smiled at the thought just as the lilting voice of his dinner companion broke into his reverie.

"I'm sorry my dear, were you saying something? I'm afraid that I was miles away."

"Is my company so boring to you Helmut?"

Helmut put on what he hoped was his most charming smile and replied, "Sophie, the last thing I would be in your presence is bored."

She smiled, God, what a smile Helmut thought, and said, "Alright, I shall let you off this time. What I was saying was, that it's getting late and you should take me home."

Helmut frowned as he payed the check, unable to believe that the day had passed them by so quickly. Helmut opened the door out of the restaurant for her and walked arm in arm with her back to her apartment. When they reached the door to her building she turned to him and gave him a smile that made his stomach knot and his knees weak.

"Thank you for a lovely day Helmut.", she said.

"It was my pleasure. Goodnight.", he replied as he leaned in and gently kissed her cheek.

As she said goodnight and turned to open her door, Helmut touched her arm and said, "Sophie wait, I..." She turned back to him and gazed up with an expectant look in her eyes. It was that look and those eyes that robbed Helmut of whatever strength had led him to begin that sentence and he finished by saying simply, "I... will miss you."

"Well, then don't take too long coming back."

"I won't. I'll see you again as soon as I am able."

After she had closed the door behind her, Helmut walked to a nearby hotel at which he had gotten a room for his brief stay in Munich. Once inside, he got into his nightclothes and into bed. As he lay gazing at the ceiling in the darkness, he marveled at how badly you could miss someone that you had just spent an entire day with.

Sept. 30, 1938
Munich, Germany

Helmut sat sipping a cup of coffee while waiting at the station for the train that would carry him back to Brandenburg and his duties as a soldier of the Reich, and opened the newspaper that he had purchased from a young boy on the way in. As he took in the headline, he jumped from his seat at the unbelievable news that he was reading... Britain and France had agreed to German sovereignty over the Sudetenland. That territory and the three million ethnic Germans who lived within, were now part of the Greater German Reich. Helmut crushed the paper as he pounded a fist into his other hand in sheer joy. Hitler had won! The Allies had caved in! Germany, only twenty years removed from the humiliation of Versailles, had truly asserted itself on the world stage. It was a new world, he told himself, the start of a Golden Age.

akpsized20caf5hb4.jpg

German troops march into the Sudetenland in Sept. 1938

OK, so that's my last post for awhile. I hope it was good enough to keep everyone satisfied while I'm away. As I said in an earlier post, starting Monday I'm embarking on a new career and will be away from home (and my computer) for much of the time. I'll try to update on weekends, but cannot make any promises as to how soon.

Hope to see you all real soon! (Figuratively speaking of course ;) )

Last edited:
Well then, I guess I'll keep from getting set on a weekend update.

Glad to see Helmut more and more less loony. And now a love interest? 'Bout time. :D Little does he know I guess that they'll need more than just Sudeten Volksdeutsche 6 months from now, with no permissions from the Allies withstanding.

A very sweet little image - the idea of him courting just as the world is starting to properly go to pot.

HKslan: Helmut will indeed find his services in demand rather shortly. I figured it was time to get Helmut a girlfriend, wouldn't want anyone to think he was weird. :) I can't say for sure when I will post again, my first free weekend will be spent at a wedding so it will be at least two weekends from now.

stnylan: As Helmut's world gets a little brighter, the real world grows darker. It's a shame really. ;)

Commander-DK: Thanks. I will be working in law enforcement. The reason I will be away from home is that I'll be moving into the training facility on Monday and residing there for the next several months except weekends.

Thanks for reading and commenting!

Last edited:
Amazing... Hemulth... in love? This guy is going to become a good chap...

I am happy to see that I've gotten a few comments while I was away.

HKslan: Next weekend indeed. Scout's honor!

rcduggan: I do indeed have some screenshots I can put up and will try to include them in the future.

Kurt Steiner: In love? Possibly. Good? Maybe. ;)

As said above, update next weekend. Have a good week everyone. :D

Awesome.... *subscribes*

And could someone please take care of adolph? Maybe this time around he might not die in that Bunker.

And why do I get the feeling that one of the Brothers might end up in a certain south german Generlas 7th Panzer division?

note: Rommels son was mayor in the town where I go to school until a few years ago.

Last edited:
trekaddict said:
Awesome.... *subscribes*

And could someone please take care of adolph? Maybe this time around he might not die in that Bunker.

And why do I get the feeling that one of the Brothers might end up in a certain south german Generlas 7th Panzer division?

note: Rommels son was mayor in the town where I go to school until a few years ago.

Glad to have you aboard! I suppose that Adolph's over all fate will depend on how I do in the war to come. Whether or not Otto and co. hook up with Rommel remains to be seen. Pretty cool factoid about your town there. Thanks for reading.

OK everyone, I'm back from another week of training and ready to update. I'll be posting the further adventures of my cast of characters tomorrow.

Hardraade said:
Thank you for the enthusiasm! The update will post in mere hours.

Huzza!

And I hope you don't mind that I borrowed the futurama quote in your sig for use on another forum. :eek:o

Dec 25. 1938

"Sir, I've checked the sentry line and everything is fine. You mind if I head in and grab some hot food?"

Rodrigo Vivar looked up and nodded, "Sure Diaz, go ahead."

"Thanks sir, you want me to bring anything out to you?"

"No, I'm not hungry. Go on in, it's cold out here."

Diaz cast a worried frown towards his commander and then disappeared inside the mess tent, leaving Vivar alone in the cold. After the young man had gone, Vivar rose and began walking off into the woods to check the sentry posts himself. It was not that he doubted that Diaz had checked them, it was just that the exercise would keep him warm. There was also the added benefit that checking the posts would keep his mind occupied. He took any chance he could to turn his mind from the past. It had been almost two years since that damned treaty had surrendered the La Coruna province to the Germans, and over a year and ten months since his uprising had been smashed by that monster, Heydrich. The memory of that bloody time was still fresh and he grimaced as he walked on into the forest.

He had done what he could, but the enthusiasm of his citizen army had proven no match for the professionalism of the German troops or the brutal tactics of that SS beast that Hitler had unleashed upon Spain. Vivar had no doubt that the name Heydrich would be used to frighten children in this area for generations to come. He forcefully pulled his mind from thoughts of Heydrich, but it wasn't ready to turn away from unpleasant things. He soon found his thoughts wandering back to the struggle against the Germans. It had all started well enough, he had secured the southern part of the province quickly and had hoped to begin clearing out the northern part. That was not to be however, the Germans had come pouring into the south and shredded his lines in only two days. He had gathered his forces in the city of Zas to make a stand with hopes that some sort of aid would come to his men, but they had been alone. The great powers of Europe did want to get involved and the Spanish government was afraid of the consequences of any kind of open support.

Vivar shook his head, If only I had known that no help was coming. I would have fled to the forests and regrouped there. I could have saved so many. Images of broken bodies flashed into his mind from the hell that was the street to street fighting in Zas. He tried to force away the most painful of all, but it pushed to the surface anyway. A young boy, barely old enough to shave, shot down in front of his barricade. Then that damn fool Miguel jumping into the street and picking the boy up, cradling him in his massive arms. Just when Vivar thought he would make it, he fell. The Germans cut him down like a dog only a few feet from safety, a few feet that might as well have been a mile. Tears came to Vivar's eyes as he remembered having to crouch there listening to Miguel's last rasping breaths, helpless as his friend died.

After that, it had been only another day before the Germans broke his positions and he and his men found themselves fighting a running battle back towards the safety of the forests and hills. Only some one hundred or so had made it. The rest were dead now or had returned to their homes. Only die-hards or fools like me are left now, thought Vivar with a grim smile. He truly didn't know why he still bothered, why he hadn't just returned to Spain and left this place to the Germans. He was never going to drive them out now. At last word, there were three full divisions of German troops holding the province down. He could never hope to do any kind of significant damage to them now. Plus his hands were tied by promises left by Heydrich of certain consequences for continued activity on the part of the partisans. He didn't know if those promises would be kept, but he didn't want to test German resolve. He had seen it in action before.

Vivar suddenly realized that he had walked completely around his little encampment while lost in thought. He was standing before the mess tent again with its warmth and sounds of holiday mirth. He smiled and headed inside, deciding to pretend his world hadn't fallen apart for just one night.
"Merry Christmas everyone!"

"Helmut! Merry Christmas to you too.", exclaimed Otto as he rushed to embrace his brother.

As Helmut broke from his brother's embrace, he stepped back and ushered a young woman into the doorway. Otto smiled warmly and said, "Unless I miss my guess, you would be the famous Sophie. My name is Otto, pleased to finally meet you."

Sophie smiled and replied, "It's a pleasure to meet you as well, Helmut has told me much about you. Thank you for inviting me to your home."

"Think nothing of it. Come, I'll introduce you to the rest of the family."

Otto ushered them into the kitchen where Elsa was preparing dinner with a little help from Emma and Eric was seated at the table playing with his gift from Helmut, a model of a Bf-109E fighter plane. Helmut smiled to see the boy playing with it and hoped that his campaign to steer the boy away from an SD career was succeeding.

Otto cleared his throat and said, "Family, I'd like to introduce our guest of honor, Sophie." As she blushed and waved hello, Otto pointed out the inhabitants of the room in turn as he said, "This is my wife, Elsa. The little one with flour all over her is Emma, and the miniature fighter pilot there is Eric."

Elsa crossed the kitchen and took Sophie's hand and said, "Welcome and Merry Christmas. We've heard so many wonderful things about you from Helmut." The children gave her formal greetings before racing to embrace Helmut, who tightly hugged each of them. After pulling away from Helmut, Emma walked over to Sophie and said, "I'm baking a pie for dessert. Would you like to help me?"

Sophie smiled and replied, "That sounds like fun, but you'll have to show me what to do. I've never baked a pie before."

Emma took her by the hand and guided her to the counter saying, "That's alright, Elsa taught me and she's a really good cook. This is going to be the best pie ever."

Helmut smiled, warmed by the ready acceptance and friendliness that his family was showing to Sophie. Turning to Otto he asked, "So, how are things down on the border?"

Otto shrugged, "They're on their side and we're on ours. Nothing much more to be said about it."

As the two walked into the sitting room Helmut said, "Come on Otto, you know what I mean. Word is that the Czechs have mobilized."

Otto sighed, "Yes, they have indeed. But they're not making any aggressive moves if that's what you're asking. They're just making sure that we keep to the limits of the Munich Agreement."

Helmut scoffed, "Of course we will. The only thing we wanted was to protect our German nationals and bring them back into the fold. We're not warmongers for God's sake!"

Otto's only response was a grunt before changing the subject, "So, that Sophie seems like a nice girl. I thought her kind usually crosses the street when they see the likes of you."

Helmut frowned and dryly responded, "Oh stop it Otto, I think my sides may burst. Truth be told though, I do account myself a lucky man. She's a remarkable woman."

Otto smiled, "It's good to see you happy. It was about time you went out and found a nice girl. Speaking of which, you two have been seeing one another for about eight months now. Any long term plans?"

Helmut felt blood rushing to his face as he responded, "I don't know, maybe. I guess I haven't thought too much about it. I mean I have but... I don't know what she...You see, it's just that..."

Otto laughed and clapped his brother on the back saying, "Alright, say no more. I know just what you mean. I was turned all inside out when I was courting Elsa as well."

Helmut nodded to his brother, grateful for the excuse to stop babbling like an idiot. Silently, they both turned to the window to watch the snow fall outside. Presently, they were called to the dining room for dinner. As Helmut sat down, he squeezed Sophie's hand and looked around the table at his family with a pleased smile. Life was good, and the world was as it should be.

Last edited:
trekaddict said:
Huzza!

And I hope you don't mind that I borrowed the futurama quote in your sig for use on another forum. :eek:o
More enthusiasm, I like it! I do not mind at all my friend, borrow away. It's one of my favorite lines from that show.