• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Excellent work.

I have had alot of fun with this tonight.

If you continue to work on this it would be good to see an option for a random relations generator to start the game off.

Also some control over how random the minorities are would be good.

Thanks again for your hard work.

Mowers

I've played few games with this, with full amount of countries. There's been roughly 50% chance that during february 1836 the game will "freeze". However hitting the pause key two times unlocks the situation. Then theres always have been random lock ups here and there but the pause button trick has always helped me. Just waiting it to get over hasn't worked for me, maybe I don't have enough concentration for it. :p

This "mod" is best thing ever created for Victoria! :cool: Some option for starting tech levels would be nice, like giving all techs to everyone at the start. And option in the scenario generator to "use last settings", so I don't have to always type them again.

Mowers said:
It appears to lock up for long periods of time on both my rather powerful computers.

Do you think thats because it doesnt like 180 countries?
On my computer that only happened in Risk mode. I think it's because the ai tries to plan its actions for the next month, but can't figure out the horrible mess of provinces spread over the world :). Maybe it wants to form a frontline with everyone it borders :eek: or something.

Mowers said:
If you continue to work on this it would be good to see an option for a random relations generator to start the game off
Good idea! That's easy to make. It'll be in the next version (you'll have to wait for it till somewhere in the holidays I think)

Mowers said:
Also some control over how random the minorities are would be good.
Also not so difficult. Will make.

eräjorma said:
This "mod" is best thing ever created for Victoria! :cool:
Wow! Thank you very much!

eräjorma said:
Some option for starting tech levels would be nice, like giving all techs to everyone at the start.
OK, will also be in the next version.

eräjorma said:
And option in the scenario generator to "use last settings", so I don't have to always type them again.
I advice you to use the cfg file! Rename rickrand_sample.cfg to rickrand.cfg, open it in notepad, and you can edit your settings there (remember to save the changes you made!). Rickrand will use the settings it finds in rickrand.cfg. And if it doesn't find a setting there, it'll ask you for it. The good thing about the cfg file is that it'll remember your settings.

Last edited:
Thank you Taylor,

I have played nearly 2 full games over the past 3 days, its a fantastic mod. You never really quite know what is going to happen. I find playing with around 70 countries and a third uncivilised particularly entertaining. It has the added bonus of not freezing up every couple of weeks. It has really brought Victoria back to life, I find the end game of the regular game very dull indeed. Whilst in your mod the drama continues to ramp up spectacularly.

I had a great game last night where there was some excellent political dramas going on, making for a really exciting set of developments. Combined with not knowing in which way my pops were going to develop was quite something. Watching the farmers vote in a particularly nasty party really made me laugh.

Another idea might be is an option to group the uncivilized states together or in clumps. In effect to create a " relatively unknown world" that is placed apart from the civilised powers.

Finally, it would be good to be able to define the parameters of the number of provinces that are open to colonization. I had these appear in my first game but in my second there were none. It would be good to an option to define how many "clumps" of colonizable provinces there are and how big they are.

Mowers

Mowers said:
Thank you Taylor,

I have played nearly 2 full games over the past 3 days, its a fantastic mod. You never really quite know what is going to happen. I find playing with around 70 countries and a third uncivilised particularly entertaining. It has the added bonus of not freezing up every couple of weeks. It has really brought Victoria back to life, I find the end game of the regular game very dull indeed. Whilst in your mod the drama continues to ramp up spectacularly.

I had a great game last night where there was some excellent political dramas going on, making for a really exciting set of developments. Combined with not knowing in which way my pops were going to develop was quite something. Watching the farmers vote in a particularly nasty party really made me laugh.

Another idea might be is an option to group the uncivilized states together or in clumps. In effect to create a " relatively unknown world" that is placed apart from the civilised powers.

Finally, it would be good to be able to define the parameters of the number of provinces that are open to colonization. I had these appear in my first game but in my second there were none. It would be good to an option to define how many "clumps" of colonizable provinces there are and how big they are.

Mowers

I'm glad you enjoy it so much! The clumped civilized countries is a good idea, I'm gonna implement that. I was already thinking about the idea of having more than one colonizable clump of provinces, this idea is connected to another idea of making a mode in which not all nations border each other (i.e. having strips of uncolonized land between them). I already know how I'm gonna do that, I only need to find time to program it.

This looks like fun. I think I'll have to get Ricky now. I've been waiting finish the older games I have going on.

When I looked at making random generators for other Paradox games I decided Victoria would be the most difficult one to do. I'm glad to see it is done and seems to be working well.

AlenlorDRot said:
This looks like fun. I think I'll have to get Ricky now. I've been waiting finish the older games I have going on.

When I looked at making random generators for other Paradox games I decided Victoria would be the most difficult one to do. I'm glad to see it is done and seems to be working well.
Well, I was surprised to see no-one had made a random scenario generator for victoria yet. Victoria is the most complicated game by Paradox, but it's not really hard to make a randomizer for it. It only means: More to randomize!
Come to think of it, CK also has randomizing potential...

RickRand 0.04 is finished. New features:

- Relations are now randomized
- You can now specify how many random pops are placed
- You can now choose to give every civilized nation german ww1 techs at start (more tech levels coming soon, I have yet to find a list of all technologies somewhere)
- You can now save your settings so you don't have to type them again and again
- You can now choose to have uncivs in roughly the same regions (clumped uncivs)
- You can now choose to use a different style of assigning provinces, which
results in more pieces of uncolonized land between the nations. (no clumped nations)

how much space does this use?? i wana put it on my flash drive, which is where i keep victoria so i can play the game on any computer that has the hardware ability :D , but my flash drive only has about 50 Mb left on in :( ...ill just download it on the home computer, once i get home that is...looking forward to it!!!! :rofl:

wej said:
how much space does this use?? i wana put it on my flash drive, which is where i keep victoria so i can play the game on any computer that has the hardware ability :D , but my flash drive only has about 50 Mb left on in :( ...ill just download it on the home computer, once i get home that is...looking forward to it!!!! :rofl:

It's 85.5 kB to be precise, so it'll easily fit :).

EDIT: Of course, the generated scenario's are somewhat bigger: around 2 MB.

Last edited:
I updated the program again. The reason is I wasn't happy about how the user had to enter new settings if he already saved some. This new version will ask you wether to load your previous settings. It's a lot more user-friendly. Because this update is small, it's not worth a new version number, hence I will call it 0.4a

And now I updated it again! (I'm beginning to spam my own thread...)
Something that had anoyed me for some time was that no nation could control its import/export setting for machine parts. I finally found out the reason: it turns out that at least one country in the world needs to have the precision work invention. So I modified it such that one random country in the world gets precision work.

something is wrong, im not sure if im doing it wrong or not, but when i tell it to make the file, it does, but it sends to the the part of the program that says "select mode", and stays there....can't type or anything...i thought, "ok, maybe its just something is wrong with the exiting of the program, but the random folder that is in the random folder has nothing in it, but it still creats that random.eug, but it says that it is 0kb....im confused....

What were your settings? And what version of victoria do you use?
So the program stays in the screen that says "press b to generate the scenario or q to quit"? Or does it go to a blank screen after hitting b?

EDIT: Did you put rickrand.exe in the victoria folder (the folder that also contains victoria.exe)? When you run the program from a different location it will do something like you described, since it can't find the victoria data files.

Last edited:
i have Ricky, with some mods on it....

I got it to actually get passed that, ya, you were right, it does have to be in that file...i wanted to keep it better organized so i put it in its own folder :rolleyes: .....but it works to build the scenario and what not, but while loading it, a "critical error" pops up saying it can't load "file:\db\events\LiberalRevolution.txt" Or something really similar....i checked the file, and its not there, there is not LiberalRevolution.txt on here....well, i tried to load up some of my other games and scenerios and they all work fine.... i tried to do different settings, but nothing worked....i don't know the problem (could be my problem, and not one with the program)....i have one more thing to try, but i don't think itll change anything, if it does, ill be back to say, but if it doesn't then i don't know the problem.... :eek:

Here is the last settings i used, but the last 2 didn't work either
"
#This is a generated .cfg file. Documentation on editing the values here is given in rickrand_sample.cfg
number_of_countries = 150
number_of_factories = 2
mode = risk
random_country_size = yes
assign_states = yes
unciv_percentage = 20
min_country_size = 1
max_country_size = 10000
n_parameter = 4
epsilon_parameter = 5.e-003
clumped_nations = no
group_uncivs = yes
super_advanced = no
number_of_random_pops = 1000
"

What language did you wright this in? just a little currius...

Last edited:
wej said:
i have Ricky, with some mods on it....

I got it to actually get passed that, ya, you were right, it does have to be in that file...i wanted to keep it better organized so i put it in its own folder :rolleyes: .....but it works to build the scenario and what not, but while loading it, a "critical error" pops up saying it can't load "file:\db\events\LiberalRevolution.txt" Or something really similar....i checked the file, and its not there, there is not LiberalRevolution.txt on here....well, i tried to load up some of my other games and scenerios and they all work fine.... i tried to do different settings, but nothing worked....i don't know the problem (could be my problem, and not one with the program)....i have one more thing to try, but i don't think itll change anything, if it does, ill be back to say, but if it doesn't then i don't know the problem.... :eek:

Here is the last settings i used, but the last 2 didn't work either
"
#This is a generated .cfg file. Documentation on editing the values here is given in rickrand_sample.cfg
number_of_countries = 150
number_of_factories = 2
mode = risk
random_country_size = yes
assign_states = yes
unciv_percentage = 20
min_country_size = 1
max_country_size = 10000
n_parameter = 4
epsilon_parameter = 5.e-003
clumped_nations = no
group_uncivs = yes
super_advanced = no
number_of_random_pops = 1000
"

What language did you wright this in? just a little currius...

About the LiberalRevolution.txt error: you have to have OHGamer's hotfix 5 installed to get rid of this error. Alternatively, you can open random.eug and delete the line that says 'event=db\events\LiberalRevolution.txt' (or put a # before it) and save your changes. If the game then gives a similar error for a different event file, delete that too in random.eug.

I wrote this program in Basic (I'm not experienced enough in c++). Started in QBasic but switched compiler to FreeBasic to make it faster and win32-compatible.

fudd_bopo said:
Has any changes been made to the AI, or is the mod using the default one?
It uses the default one.