• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I played this a few years ago so I decided to try it again recently. A problem I've been having thou is the rickrand.exe is crashing on load with the default config or a number of different settings. I installed the .net framework thingy too, do you know of anything else that could crash the rickrand?

Only the GUI was written in .NET, so
GUI crashing = probably .NET problem
rickrand.exe crashing = :confused:

Seriously though, did you put rickrand.exe (and rickrand GUI.exe, and JSGME.exe) in your victoria directory (the same directory as victoria.exe)? Rickrand.exe crashes if it can't find the data files of Victoria.

Didn't know it had to be in the same folder as victoria.exe. Works great now thanks!

Tried default, ended up in china as USA and killed 3 people lol. Strangely even though Africa and the middle east started uncolonized, only about 4-5 nations are trying to take it. Is there any way to make the ai more receptive to colonizing?

Also the AI seems to not be able to industrialize well at all. Only 5-6 nations have railroads at all in their lands even though they have hundreds of factories.

Didn't know it had to be in the same folder as victoria.exe. Works great now thanks!

Tried default, ended up in china as USA and killed 3 people lol. Strangely even though Africa and the middle east started uncolonized, only about 4-5 nations are trying to take it. Is there any way to make the ai more receptive to colonizing?

Also the AI seems to not be able to industrialize well at all. Only 5-6 nations have railroads at all in their lands even though they have hundreds of factories.

Well all nations have the list of free states in their ai file. But for some, the order of the states makes more sense than for others. For example if the first state in the ai file is in the middle of africa with no sea connection, that ai will prioritize colonizing that state, which it can't because it can't get there. This makes some more efficient at colonizing. In the next version I plan to make the ai more sensible about it's colonization targets. But actually it's kind of realistic that only 5 nations colonize, right? (IRL it would be GB, France, Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, USA, ok that's six)

About the industrialization: what is the year? In the games I played, usually the AI does quite well eventually (almost everybody gets railroads etc). Maybe it needs some time to get off the ground? Or maybe a less aggressive setting makes the AI better at industrializing?

Discovered this generator just now, despite having played vicky for years. Just wanted to stop by and commend you for the great work! I'm having a lot of fun with it.

Discovered this generator just now, despite having played vicky for years. Just wanted to stop by and commend you for the great work! I'm having a lot of fun with it.

Thanks! I'm glad you like it :).

When i try to play I get "couldnt open file db\events\Liberal Revolution.txt"please help thanks

You need to install OHGamer's hotfix 6. It's an unofficial fix for a couple of bugs in the vanilla game.

Or, alternatively, you can open the generated scenario file and delete the line where it says "event = db\events\LiberalRevolution.txt" (it's the last line in the scenario file).

Go into your Victoria folder and browse to the db\events folder. In that folder there should be a file called LiberalRevolution.txt (or just LiberalRevolution if your windows hides the extensions). If there isn't, there probably went something wrong with the installation of the hotfix.

Check to see if your Victoria contains a folder called 'hotfix 6'. If that is the case, go into that folder, select the entire content, and cut & paste it right into the Victoria folder (i.e., one level higher). If you did it correctly, it will ask you if you want to overwrite files. Choose Yes to All. Now you should have the LiberalRevolution.txt file in the db\events folder, and the random scenarios should work now.

Btw, if you want the easy way out, you can also just go into the db\events folder and create an empty text file called LiberalRevolution. It should fix your problem with the random scenarios but you will miss out on the hotfix.

You are a pimp!It took a little while to figure out what you were telling me to do but I got it.Looks grrrrreat, thanks for your time.

I'm glad you got it to work :).

Havin a Small problem. RickRand creates a Random game, but not like the on I told it to do soo. I'm trying to create a 1 Culture, 10 Nations 1% O World Ocupied, but it always appears an Error, and it creates a Normal, 200 Cultures, 100 Nations 80% Occupied. Anyone knows?

Havin a Small problem. RickRand creates a Random game, but not like the on I told it to do soo. I'm trying to create a 1 Culture, 10 Nations 1% O World Ocupied, but it always appears an Error, and it creates a Normal, 200 Cultures, 100 Nations 80% Occupied. Anyone knows?

It works fine when I try it. What other settings do you use? Can you save the settings in a file, and then post the contents of that file here?

Hi Taylor,
You have made a nice tool. Have considered shearing the source code, so other people can contribute?

Well, when people pm me for the source code, I usually give it to them. But I suppose I could put the source online. It's written in FreeBasic though, a somewhat obscure language.

Well, when people pm me for the source code, I usually give it to them. But I suppose I could put the source online. It's written in FreeBasic though, a somewhat obscure language.

It would be great if you can put the source code too.
Do you think that RickRand.exe would build using the compiler of Visual Studio? Or at least with little adjustments to the source it would be fine?

It would be great if you can put the source code too.
Do you think that RickRand.exe would build using the compiler of Visual Studio? Or at least with little adjustments to the source it would be fine?

Ok, here it is: click

Building it in Visual Studio will probably require some work. VB doesn't like some syntax of FB, so that would have to be changed. For example, I don't even know how VB keeps track of which files to include, but it doesn't seem to recognize "#include" used in FB.

I finished version 0.9. New features include:
- Option to have everybody start at war with everybody.
- The AI now has more sensible colonization targets, making it more successful in colonizing.
- The army of a nation is now by default located in the border provinces. You can also choose to have it at the capital, or in the force pool.
- POPs are now by default split into 40k chunks. You can also choose to leave them unsplit.
- Added an "ideology modifier", which determines how liberal the world will be at start: it affects how many parties in power are liberal, or reactionary.
- You now have an option to have the randomly generated parties totally random: i.e. with this option enabled, you can have laissez-faire communists, etc.
- You now have an option to randomize which party is in power at game start: i.e. normally the game prefers conservative or liberal in most cases, but with this option enabled, it will just choose one at random.
- Uncivilized nations are now more likely to have conservatives in power (if random ruling parties is not enabled).
- You now have an "advancedness" modifier, affecting how many techs the nations get.
- You can set the number of flags in the country selection screen.
- Some random nations will now have the "Great Power" trait, giving them a lot of bonusses. You can control how many nations get this trait.
- Fish will now only be produced in coastal provinces, even if the RGO goods are randomized.
- The generator will now also generate a statistics file, called "[scenario name]_statistics.csv, and located in the victoria directory after you've enabled the scenario with JSGME. It contains some useful info about the nations.
- You can set the game version you're using. At this point you can only choose between having OHGamer's hotfixes or not (affecting whether LiberalRevolutions.txt will be used), but I plan to make more selectable game versions in the future.
- Of course, some bugs were fixed.

Please report any bugs and crashes you find! Try strange options, see if it crashes the program, I wanna know everything that can go wrong, so I can fix it!

Last edited: