• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I tried to mimic Civilization style starting with everything uncolonised and nations starting with only 1-3 provinces. I also reduced the price of all colonial buildings to £10.

After realising the "Group Nations" was giving me problems I used these kind of settings:

First settings were 200 nations and percentage of occupied land 5. The program crashed, no biggie, only had to change the 5% to 10% to get it work (maybe one bug to squish :D ). In game every day took about an half minute. Needless to say it was unplayable.

Second settings were 100 nations and 10%. Same result.

3rd was 20 nations and 5%. It took maybe 15-20 seconds now to change the day.

4th was with 2 nations and 1%. Speed was playable but it was slower than in 1836 scenario! Interestingly the AI nation didn't even build anything in the few months I ran the game. Though that was the case in the other scenarios aswell, not everyone did build.

So I went and changed the colonial buildings prices to normal, made a scenario with 200 and 10%. Now it runs much faster than the first example, but still overall slowly considering only Australia, Japan and isles between them plus some random ones are occupied.

Lastly I made more realistic starting with 200 nations and 75%. It was faster than with 10% but still slow considering how it would have been in the previous version of RickRand.

Is there anything to do with the AI, since even basic scenarios with free colonial buildings doesn't cause this kind of slowing? Option to drastically reduce the amount of claim targets in the AI files?

Also the program crashes now if occupied land is put to 100% (it does not in 99,9%).

I tried to mimic Civilization style starting with everything uncolonised and nations starting with only 1-3 provinces. I also reduced the price of all colonial buildings to £10.

After realising the "Group Nations" was giving me problems I used these kind of settings:

First settings were 200 nations and percentage of occupied land 5. The program crashed, no biggie, only had to change the 5% to 10% to get it work (maybe one bug to squish :D ). In game every day took about an half minute. Needless to say it was unplayable.

Second settings were 100 nations and 10%. Same result.

3rd was 20 nations and 5%. It took maybe 15-20 seconds now to change the day.

4th was with 2 nations and 1%. Speed was playable but it was slower than in 1836 scenario! Interestingly the AI nation didn't even build anything in the few months I ran the game. Though that was the case in the other scenarios aswell, not everyone did build.

So I went and changed the colonial buildings prices to normal, made a scenario with 200 and 10%. Now it runs much faster than the first example, but still overall slowly considering only Australia, Japan and isles between them plus some random ones are occupied.

Lastly I made more realistic starting with 200 nations and 75%. It was faster than with 10% but still slow considering how it would have been in the previous version of RickRand.

Is there anything to do with the AI, since even basic scenarios with free colonial buildings doesn't cause this kind of slowing? Option to drastically reduce the amount of claim targets in the AI files?

It's strange, I haven't noticed the slowdown at all. What are your system specs? Anyway, in 0.9, I'll make the AI colonizing more costumizable (at least having an option to turn it off.). And 0.8d will also have some small improvements on the AI targets so you might want to try that when it's finished.

eräjorma said:
Also the program crashes now if occupied land is put to 100% (it does not in 99,9%)

Will be fixed in the next version. Thanks for mentioning!

Made a new version (0.8d). Many bugs were fixed, including:
- crash when putting number of bonusses and/or malusses to zero
- sometimes parties would have a death date before 1836
- crash when putting % of uncivs to 0
- crash when putting % of occupied provinces too low
- a rare bug resulting in AI getting the wrong colonization targets
- crash when putting % of occupied provinces to 100
- crash when putting # of nations to 1

New idea!

Can all units start off unplaced? It sucks when you start off with a huge empire, only to find that you have 69 divistions on an island smaller then Hawaii.

Yeah but if the home province is still that island, you won't be able to deploy to a different province anyway. But maybe it's a good idea to try to position the troops near the border, not in the capital.

It's strange, I haven't noticed the slowdown at all. What are your system specs? Anyway, in 0.9, I'll make the AI colonizing more costumizable (at least having an option to turn it off.). And 0.8d will also have some small improvements on the AI targets so you might want to try that when it's finished.

I ran few tests again with the newest version and didn't had problems.

Settings with 20/20% was running faster than 20/80% or 20/70%. On the other hand when used 100/80%, it ran faster than 100/20%. Nevertheless, everything was with playable speed now, albeit I did a last test with 100/100% and it did beat clearly the other 100 nations scenarios. I was going to test few scenarios with 20 nations with colonization stuff removed from AI, but can't be arsed now when everything works. My theory is there was some stuff running on background when testing previous times.

Anychance maybe in a future version, you could let people specify a custom death date for all the events? I'm one who uses a mod that extends the game date to 2499 so there will be a long game, being able to set a over-all death date would be awesome.

Sorry if this has been answered before, but is it possible to make every nation in the game uncivillised? It doesn't seem to work for me.

Edit: just figured out that Independant Nation or Great power doesn't necessarily mean they're civillised.

Last edited:
Anychance maybe in a future version, you could let people specify a custom death date for all the events? I'm one who uses a mod that extends the game date to 2499 so there will be a long game, being able to set a over-all death date would be awesome.

The random scenarios don't use the historical events. Most of the remaining events are random events, which don't have a deathdate.

The only exceptions are the randomized gold/diamonds events, but these are meant to happen in a certain time period in the game. Changing their deathdate wouldn't have much effect, they would fire at around that same time anyway.

Sorry if this has been answered before, but is it possible to make every nation in the game uncivillised? It doesn't seem to work for me.

Edit: just figured out that Independant Nation or Great power doesn't necessarily mean they're civillised.

Yes, uncivs can be Great Powers, but I think Independent Nations are always civilized (I could be wrong here)

In my games, they seem to be on par with most nations. However my games are very short, because most nations in the game have Free Trade, whereas Tariffs are needed to keep the income positive. And because all nations are uncivs, only one party is allowed. Was this on your radar?

In my games, they seem to be on par with most nations. However my games are very short, because most nations in the game have Free Trade, whereas Tariffs are needed to keep the income positive. And because all nations are uncivs, only one party is allowed. Was this on your radar?

Well, uncivs get much less factories and only have irregular units (if everything works correctly anyway).

About the Free Trade: do you think there is too much free trade in the game? I'll look into it, maybe the chances for a party to have free trade are a bit too high.

edit: I must admit that uncivs have gotten little attention from me while coding. I kept regarding them as an added goody for the other nations, not as playable nations. I'll pay more attention to them in the next release.

Well, uncivs get much less factories and only have irregular units (if everything works correctly anyway).

About the Free Trade: do you think there is too much free trade in the game? I'll look into it, maybe the chances for a party to have free trade are a bit too high.

Thank you for responding. :)

Yes, I believe free trade parties get way too much of the % to come in. It's especially bad because free trade is the worst trade stance ever. However I usually try 400 nations with like 20-35% of the world filled, so maybe that's why.

Also I've confirmed in 100% unciv games some nations are not Unciv.

Do you think in the near future you could add a feature to make some continents no nation zones, so nations won't be created there and it can be used for colonisation.

Party end dates are still bugged, even more in this version.

:eek: Wow! They were really messed up! Fixed it now.

Didn't anyone notice this earlier?

Made a small update.

- There are now 11 flags in the country selection screen, like in the vanilla GC.
- Fixed a bug which could hang the program, if only nations with a naval malus could reach an empty province.

This second point changed the behaviour of the province assigner a bit, I hope there are no unforeseen side effects (please report anything you find!).

Well, how about at least an option to choose number of flags to make it easier on multiplayer :p

There you go ;).

I played this a few years ago so I decided to try it again recently. A problem I've been having thou is the rickrand.exe is crashing on load with the default config or a number of different settings. I installed the .net framework thingy too, do you know of anything else that could crash the rickrand?