Thread: What's The Optimal Temperature For Uranus? (Serious)

What's The Optimal Temperature For Uranus? (Serious)

Whats the best temperature for Uranus for inhabitable life, also is there anyway to negate the gasses to sustain organisms on this planet?

First Lieutenant
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House Divided

N/A, No.

Quote Originally Posted by brighteyes
    Whats the best temperature for Uranus for inhabitable life, also is there anyway to negate the gasses to sustain organisms on this planet?
    Strangest question ever on these forums.

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis: RomeHoi 2 Beta500k club

Depends on what sort of life you are talking about.

Life requires several things... including:

1) complex ordered systems for storing data (DNA and RNA for our form of life) which are stable enough to retain their patterns for years, but unstable enough to change almost instantly when new information needs to be stored.

2) chemical reactions that generate enough energy for metabolism and motility, but not enough to destroy the patterns mentioned above.

3) the ability to transfer or reproduce the information patterns almost perfectly (but not 100% perfectly, or evolution ends).

Here on Earth, chemical reaction based on Carbon compounds (especially nucleic acids) fit the temperature range. On hotter worlds, they would be too unstable. On colder worlds, they would not be unstable enough.

Uranian life would require a chemical basis that would not work on earth, because the chemicals would be too reactive in our temperature range... the lower temperatures on Uranus would make them just reactive enough to support life.

Not sure what you mean about negating the gasses. Here on Earth, we breath an Oxygen-rich atmosphere, and metabolize it to oxidize the reduced (meaning: Hydrogen-rich) compounds in our food. On Uranus, any natural form of life would breathe the reduced (Hydrogen-rich) atmospheric gasses like Methane or Ammonia, and metabolize them with Oxegen-rich compounds in their food... just the reverse of our own energy cycle, but with the same result... energy plus water.
    "To punish me for my contempt for authority, they made me an authority myself" - Albert Einstein

My Demi-Mod color is GOLD. If I'm posting in this color, I'm not just being a jerk. I use WHITE for that.

"The Game"... my first AAR. Armageddon v1.2 Mod-34, Germany.
    Winner, Q2-2008 HOI-2 Comedy Award.
    Winner, 2008 Iron HeAARt Award for the best HOI-2 AAR of 2008.
    Autocrat of Earth in the Forum Game "Ad Astra"
    Welcome to BloodCarnage... Hope you like snakes! - A Dwarf Fortress succession game.

For The Glory

Blog Entries
    Is this a game question or just a space related OT in a space related forum? I don't know GalCivII actualy...

Field Marshal
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultHearts of Iron IIIVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Victoria 2Mount & Blade: WarbandEU3 Collectors Edition500k club

Quote Originally Posted by th3freakie
    Is this a game question or just a space related OT in a space related forum? I don't know GalCivII actualy...
    Somehow I suspect that you know even less about the atmospheric temperature of Uranus
    Freedom in capitalist society always remains about the same as it was in the ancient Greek republics: freedom for the slave-owners
    VI Lenin

For The Glory

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ComradeOm
    Somehow I suspect that you know even less about the atmospheric temperature of Uranus
    I'd guess about 37.

Kelvin.
    No?

First Lieutenant
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House Divided

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Leto View Post
    N/A, No.
    Listen to that guy, he's smart.