• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Fulcrumvale: Competent to rule? Certainly. But to check their master? No. The Empress reserves the right to dismiss and appoint ministers of state, so while they are men who know what they are doing, they cannot afford to upset her for it may mean an end to their job. The Prime minister is an exception: she's intimidated (and somewhat scared) of him, and would never try to move him from office. Plus, he's elected by the 15% of the population who have the vote (the upper class plantation owners and such), so dismissing him might cause a back-lash.

Hajji Giray I: Hehe, yes. Brazil is a stagnating empire, and when empires tend to stagnate, immorality is not far behind. They are young women, and as much as we like to think of the Victorian era of being prudish, it was not always the case. ;) The court is a place of decadence and decay. Later chapters will bring a shock to these people who believe Brazil is immortal and will last thousand years.

Hmm... WWI AAR from across the seas? To be honest I've never played Brazil, and especially not in 1914, so who knows, this may inspire me! :p

III. A Worthy Meeting

The cool weather of the New year had melted away to be replaced with Spring. In Brazil, there was little difference, but the fact still remained. It was growing far more pleasant, for everyone. The humiliation which the Empress had faced at the hands of her Prime Minister was largely forgotten, at least by everyone except the Empress. That day, however miniscle, had chided her into action. She was cordial to foreign ministers, kind, and sweet. She did her duties expected of her, and gave the Prime Minister little lip. Even if she were the Empress, women were still expected to be be obdient to men, to a certain extent, certainly.

The Empress was once more in the gardens. She still had her chattery hens as friends, but it was noted amongst many that there was a growing intellectual bloc. The social hour replaced gossiping with reading and debating over policies. Cecília, however naive, wished to be informed. Intellgient friends did so; ones who gossiped did not. They only spoke of mundane things. This was not to say that Cecília was not interested in her friends chattering, but rather wished to appear in the public eye that she did not. The social hour became a constraint to her, which she wished to break.

--

Klemens von Ketteler sighed as he whiped his forehead with a hankerchief. How hot Brazil was in the Spring! It was almost unbarable, especially to those of German stock. Rio de Janeiro was hell, and there was much temptation to leap into the Atlantic when it was passed. Still, Klemens von Ketteler knew that would not be proper of the German Ambassador to Brazil. Plus, Brazil did have one thing going for it: it was not China! The ambassador loathed that place. It was to be expected. Klemens von Ketteler had nearly been killed there some thirteen years before, when the Boxers ravaged the land. When the conflict ended, the ambassador immediately requested a transferal to another nation. This is how he had come to Brazil.

Now, he needed to meet the Empress. He had very detailed orders from his sovereign, the Kaiser. Even if the Brazilian Empress did not recognize it, she was young and beautiful. That was one thing; another that she was still not married. The ambassador was certain she had many suitors. But orders from Berlin specified that her hand be gained for Prince Adalbert of Prussia, nearly ten years her junior. It seemed a suitable match, certainly! A Brazil friendly to German interests could not go wrong, either. Plus, it would appease the Brazilians who desired an heir to their throne. It had to be heart-wrenching to live in a nation with a beautiful Empress, but with no handsome Emperor to go along with it.

With a restrained sigh, Klemens von Ketteler entered the gardens, folders in hand.

--

"Ambassador Ketteler." Cecília smiled as the aging German made his way towards her. "So pleasant to see you. Please, let us have a seat on the terrace and speak of what bothers you."

Cecília rose from her position amid her friends, ignoring them for a more secluded corner in the gardens. Amidst the rose bushes and vast hedges, there was an iron-wrought table, built finely and inscripted with flowerly decoration. The Empress adored it, and took her seat most gracefully. The German ambassador was more blunt. He needed no formality in sitting. Cecília watched him carefully as he breathed heavily, a man of great poise and structure amidst the Brazilian sun.

"Your excellency, please have something to eat. It will cool you." Cecília smiled in a motherly way, pushing forward a silver plater with various sweetened treats. The ambassador smiled at her, which caused the Empress to flush a light red. She knew the only way she could twist the ambassadors of the world was by treating them as young children, spoiling them with treats and compliments.

"Thank you, your majesty. However, I'm afraid I come with more than a friendly chat. I have recieved orders from Berlin, and thus I am required to fulfill them. Only if her majesty is interested, of course..."

Cecília nodded, watching the ambassador. He seemed the nervous type, bound to changing their opinion every few moments. He was dependent upon the good grace of the Kaiser, infatuated with tradition and social rank. He seemed unwilling to work for others, but was willing to swallow his pride to get ahead. Judging by his graying hair and thinning hairline, his work was quite unrewarded.

"Please, go on." Cecília replied with a sweet smile.

"Kaiser Wilhelm is quite interested in your...state of matremonial bliss, your majesty. The sole fact that you have no such state. You are a beautiful woman, and aside from ruling over Brazil, there are two other occupations which you must fulfill. Those of wife and mother. Kaiser Wilhelm is quite interested in gaining your hand for his son, Adalbert. Here is a photo of him."

The ambassador reached into his manilla folder and withdrew a photo of the German prince. Laying it face down, he pushed it towards the Empress, who lifted it up. Examining it, the Empress furred her brow. He was certainly handsome. But marriage? That was not something that often crossed her mind. Indeed, many were worried over succession. But the Empress was still young and had several years to have children.

"He is certainly handsome, your excellency. Let us discuss this over tea, shall we?"

Cecília reached for the tea pot, pouring the hot amber liquid into two silver cups. Grabbing her tea, she sipped it quietly, looking to hear what the ambassador had to say.

"Marriage has been the most important bond for nations since the middle ages. By marrying the prince, you will cement relations with Germany. Your army already borrows Prussian tactics, does it not? There is nothing to lose over this matter. Do you have any better suitors than the one I have just shown you? You are beautiful, and any man would love to have you."

Cecília blushed. "You flatter me far too much, your excellency. I should have you made a Duke of the empire! Yet, you make many great points. Contrary to popular belief your excellency, I am afraid I have had few suitors. The Bourbons of France and Spain do not want me, and the British are aborant to marry into this culture. I have had only two suitors in my life. Franz Josef pushed for my marriage with his young reliative Carl, and the Confederate President attempted a match with a very high-ranking Virginian. Needless to say, few wish to marry me."

"What an insult to your honor!" Ketteler replied abashed. The Germans were far more tolerating of the Brazilian institution of others, mostly for the fact of the vast rubber plantations in the interior. Brazil was important to the German war-machine, and the Germans were not yet willing to lose Brazil to the Entente.

"Yes. We return that very same point, that the Prince is handsome? I am willing to be a wife, but I'm certain he has a following back home. Is he one to...linger outside legitimate relationships?" Cecília wished to be delicate with the issue.

"He is a Prussian, your majesty. His word of honor, once given to wife or country, cannot be swayed. Unless you wished for an open marriage, he will remain loyal to you. You must admit that you possess a certain...passion, that he will be eager to see."

Cecília ruptured into giggles. How flattering the ambassador was! Maintaining her dignitity, she smiled. The Prussian certainly was a suitable match.

"I will need to meet him first, before I can make any choices."

"You will not need to wait long, your majesty. His boat is due in the harbor in a few days."

Ahh, a good old fashioned dynastic alliance.

I wonder what the Prime minister will have to say?

The social hour replaced gossiping with reading and debating over policies. Cecília, however naive, wished to be informed. Intellgient friends did so; ones who gossiped did not. They only spoke of mundane things. This was not to say that Cecília was not interested in her friends chattering, but rather wished to appear in the public eye that she did not.

She’s learning, but is she learning well enough? Brazil might do well to stay neutral in the coming war, and committing herself to the German side might well be a mistake given the impracticalities of German support across 5,000 miles of ocean. Then again, it might well be worth it…

Learning a little too late, maybe. 1914 is not the time to learn how to make decisions.

The Germans certainly know how to do it - look at them. They didn't know if there would be a yes or a no but sent the boat with the prince anyway.

stnylan: Who knows what the Prime Minister might say. He is a realpolitik, but he is not easily swayed into allying with a European power, especially one with no means to aid Brazil during war. Britain, France, or even the Dutch would be more satisfactory in his mind.

Fulcrumvale: She's not learning; she merely wishes to make herself look better. The humiliation at the hands of the Prime Minister did not cement in her mind that she needed to change. It only cemented that she wished to avoid that happening to her again. She will relapse into old ways soon enough.

RGB: Yes, it's quite late for the Empress to learn the difficulties of state-craft, especially as the world heads for war. She is going to be forced into a corner that not even her charm can dig her out of. And yes, the Germans are quite the adept at state-craft: as Brazil's story unfolds, it will unfold that of Germany too.

This is very good so far, Drake Rlugia. So good, in fact, that you have been named this week's writAAR of the week. :) Head over to that thread in the main hall and say a few words.

I'm enjoying how you have set up the Empress, as well as her court. She still has her youth, and thus youthful actions, but her position clearly weighs on her, and it's good that she recognizes that. As wel - nice match with the Prussians.

I was lucky enough to find this gem through the writer of the week thread. I love your portraying of the Empress.:)

Fulcrumvale: She's not learning; she merely wishes to make herself look better. The humiliation at the hands of the Prime Minister did not cement in her mind that she needed to change. It only cemented that she wished to avoid that happening to her again. She will relapse into old ways soon enough.
Now that’s confidence in your nations leadership. Seriously, the only thing we’re missing is a hemophiliac prince and a mad priest...

IV. A Great Gala

800pxriobusystreetssterle6.jpg

A rare photograph depicting the parties which surrounded the arrival of Prince Adalbert to Brazil.

After the meeting with the German ambassador, Empress Cecília's decree was officiated to the people of Rio de Janeiro, demanding that it be glorified for a very important visitor who was coming. Almost overnight, the city had changed. Everyone had worked, from the upper class aristocrats to the Escuros. Rio de Janeiro was the light of Brazil. The streets shined, and decorations hung from every building. It had paid off: the day had arrived that the Prussian prince was due to arrive in Brazil. The royal court was gathered along the docks, waiting nervously for Prussian Prince who was due to arrive at any minute. Girls chattered in the corner, while men spoke about Germany. Only the Prime Minister, and what Cecília deemed his "cronies" seemed aloof from the celebration. It was too be expected: The Prime Minister opposed the marriage, but Cecília refused to budge on the situation. Even his insults would not deter her from making her own choices.

Cecília was somewhat nervous. She had declined one of her many elaborate court-dresses, going instead for clothes that were more 'Prussian.' Simple, light, and easy to move in. She only hoped that the man who could possibly be her future husband would be moved by her plight. The wide-brimmed hat upon her head kept out the heat. Only God knew how hot Rio de Janeiro became in the Spring! She waved her fan, watching for the boat, but the concentration was marred by the Brazilian anthem which was blaring through the streets.

"Já podeis da Pátria filhos,
Ver contente a mãe gentil;
Já raiou a liberdade
No horizonte do Brasil
Já raiou a liberdade,
Já raiou a liberdade
No horizonte do Brasil!

Brava gente brasileira!
Longe vá temor servil
Ou ficar a Pátria livre
Ou morrer pelo Brasil;
Ou ficar a Pátria livre,
Ou morrer pelo Brasil!

Parabéns, ó brasileiros!
Já, com garbo juvenil,
Do universo entre as nações
Resplandece a do Brasil;
Resplandece a do Brasil!"

Suddenly the crowd went quiet, and cheers replaced the singing. Cecília growled slightly, wondering why the crowd was so moody. Only when she noticed a cruiser flying the Imperial flag of Germany, did she realize why the people were cheering. They were going to greet the prince--and perhaps, their future excitement. The Empress was giddy with excitement, and her friends around her chattered. Various questions badgered her, when she was obliged to answer. As expected, the intellect of the social hour had been short-lived. The gossiping hens were in power once again.

"Do you like him?"

"Is he handsome?"

"Do you think he'll like your hair style á la Empress or style á la Dauphine...?"

--

Klemens von Ketteler met the Prince on the bridge of the cruiser once it had docked in the harbor. The crowds were roaring, and the ambassador could only smile. Even if the Brazilians were social outcasts and more outdated than the Zulus, at least they knew how to throw a proper party for foreign guests. He breathed in deeply: the first part of the Kaiser's plan was in motion; now it needed to be finished.

"Your majesty!" Klemens von Ketteler bowed low to Prince Adalbert, followed with a strict military salute. The Prince returned the salute, and then both parties relaxed.

"Ketteler! It's been ages since I've seen you! Is your leg feeling any better?"

"Ah, it only hurts whenever the Slanty-eyes are around," Ketteler laughed, refering to his days in China. "May I have a word with you? In private?"

"Of course." Prince Adalbert directed the ambassador into his private cabin. "What do you wish to discuss?"

"There is no...easy way to say this, your majesty." Ketteler replied with a slight smile. "Your father wishes to arrange a marriage with the Empress of Brazil."

"With?" Adalbert asked, perplexed. "One of my brothers?"

"No. With you!"

Shock came to Prince Adalbert's face. Any color which had been on his face was drained away, and the Prince could only stand there. Marriage? With the Empress of Brazil, the beauty who enchanted the eyes of Europe? Unbelievable. The Prince was still perplexed why his father had chosen him.

"But...I'm the third son. Why is he arranging me to marry her?"

"Because, you are least likely to become Kaiser of Germany. At least now you can claim an Imperial title."

"Ketteler, marriage is usually something you tell someone before they arrive in port! I knew all this celebration was strange..."

"Your radio was out, if I recall." Ketteler replied with a tsk. "We barely managed to get you here."

"...So, it really is Empress Cecília?"

"The one and only. I assure you, you cannot go wrong with her. She is a fair beauty--you were quite taken with her photograph, if I recall. Her bosom is fairly ample as well."

"You were oogling the Empress of Brazil?" The Prince asked, quite shocked.

"Er, now is not the time for that. We have a party to attend."

Last edited:
Not oogling at all. Merely inspecting the Imperial wares ;)

So, Adalbert seems, if not quite so innocent as Cecilia, somewhat innocent himself. This could be interesting.

Let's see if Adalbert knows any better than Cecilia. He could be a good influence.

I see the old tradition of shotgun political weddings is still alive and well.

stnylan: Innocent to an extent, maybe. I think he has more of a grip on things than she does, but again, his royal upbringing has kept him sheltered from some things.

RGB: We shall see if the Prince lives up to the expectations set down by the Ambassador and his father.

Fulcrumvale: Indeed. You can't expect these people to pick their own spouses, do you? Think of the terror they could unleash! ;)

Jape: I'm not revealing anything in regards to later chapters, but the death, blood, and disillusion which you want will come eventually!

LeonTrotsky: I think he considers himself lucky as well. He's not aware of these masses you're speaking about, though. :p