• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Jan 1, 2007
The Revolt of the Guards: Britain 1934-1953​

Britain in 1934 was far from perfect. On its mind was the Nazi Parties rise in Germany, the pending collapse of Colonialism that many believed to be true, and the newfound Soviet Union's potential for aggression. Combine that with the weakening Prime Minister Ramsay MacDonald and Great Britain was in trouble. Yet on its side Britain had what was considered the best Fleet in the World along with what at the time was considered the foremost military power by some.

Unfortunately this was wishful thinking. Britain was far from the best in terms of Military Technology. It was far behind Germany, Japan, and the Soviet Union in terms of Doctrines, and was even more screwed in terms of Tanks. The U.K.'s lack of true investment in Tanks was reminiscent of the Militaries old line of thought. While Tank experiments had been run between 1928-1929, Britains military role of the time was Colonial Policing, and Tanks were deemed ill-suited for this role. Thus when Countries like the Soviet Union had commissioned Armored Divisions, Britain was still playing around with Post WW1 Tactics.

250px-Vickers-Medium_MkII.00036zp3.jpg

A Vickers Medium Mark II Tank

The Airforce was better off. It was still using old slow planes, but was better than most people consider it today. It was more than enough for the time, and Britain housed a large Bomber Compliment as well. The point at the time wasn't competing with the Soviet Airforce, or the non-existent Luftwaffe, but deterring attack by a power such as Japan or Italy. So while not ready for a major war, Britain's Airforce at the time was adequate.

250px-Gloster_Gladiator.jpg

The British Gloster Gladiator, First Flew in 1934

As for the Royal Navy, nobody could argue it wasn't world class. Even though few liked the Flagship H.M.S. Nelson, it was a world class Battleship. The Home Fleet could easily face the German Navy in a showdown. The only Navies that could truly threaten it would be the French or Swedish Navies. The Mediterranean Fleet had to face down the formidable Regina Marina, which boasted 4 Battleships and a large host of other ships. Add the French Mediterranean Fleet backing the British up and the chances of the Regina Marina challenging them were slim. The only Naval Powers that could truly take on the British were the U.S. and Japanese Navies, and they were Oceans away.

bb_hms_nelson.jpg

The H.M.S. Nelson, Flagship of the Home Fleet
All in all, Britain was in a solid strategic position. Few could have guessed the disaster that would come one day.

Up Next: Revolution in Spain

----------------------------------------------------------------------
This AAR will hopefully entertain you while I write up Events and AI files for my next Unholy Alliance Alliance AAR. That will take a while, and if this goes well I plan on seeing this through.

Settings:
34 Mod
Normal/Furious

Alternate History will not copy anyone else's AAR.

Personal Modifications:
Leader Command Limit for Major Generals changed from 1 to 3
Leader Command Limit for Lt. Generals changed from 3 to 6
10-15 New Events with promise of more being added.

Questions, Comments, anything? :D

Last edited:
oh yes, the UK with the 34-mod. well written and a sound mind behind also, I couldnt agree more with army, navy and Airforce there. Hope to see this going along, Yes?

have you looked into: Japan Must Fight Britain (1936). Author: Tota Ishimaru, It draws up a picture of how the japanese would fight the brits in a limited conflict, a very good read...

oh and good luck

I say keep it open, it takes a while for the forumites to notice new AARs ;)

Great start. I'm looking forward to it!

Since "Unholy Alliance" is on hold, I guess I will have to follow this. Very good start, nice strategic overview. Can't wait for the Guards to revolt.

untitled-1.jpg

With the Far East under greater threat, and lack of resources apparent, Britain saw no choice but to create the Royal Indian Navy when it was suggested. This meant that Britain could strip most of its Far East Ships and not have to worry. Unfortunately, many Imperialists saw this as the first step towards complete end of Colonialism, but remember, Colonialism was dieing anyway. The Bill still passed by a land-slide, and soon, attention turned elsewhere.

ScreenSave4-1.jpg

The Nation of Catalonia, mainly acting from University Students, decided enough was enough, and began a general rebellion against the Spanish Government. The Leninist Activists seized Outposts, and all official Border Defenses in the area. The Leninist Rebellion caused what is known today as a "red scare". Powerful Politicians implicated the Soviet Union, though there was little to no real evidence of this, yet everyday people were scared for a while by the "red threat." Britain, France, and the Neighboring Powers of the area acted quickly. Britain got them all to sign an Embargo on Catalonia, and France ordered Bombers to attack Sympathetic Rebels in Oviedo. The Result was an Isolated Catalonia with one "Escamots" Militia Division to fight many thousand Spanish Regulars. The Militia were quickly defeated despite putting up a gallant stand in Taragonna

untitled1.jpg

Embargo on Catalonia

ScreenSave1-1.jpg

U.K. research: 1934

Despite the "Red Scare" Life continued as normal throughout the empire. Few had any knowledge of what would be in store for 1935.

Up Next: The London Naval Conference

Next Update will be much longer, this one was semi-rushed.

Simon-1979: Cool will look into it
The_Carbonater : Will do
rcduggan: Thanks
General_Grant: Agreed, can't wait till they Translate Mod-33 into English, of course are mod will be the ultimate mod.
Lik9922: Glad to hear it.
grayghost: Thank you.

Next Update will be longer and better written, thats a promise. :D
Thanks to all that commented.

It may have been short, but provided lots of info. Good job.

I agree with the Gray Ghost there - nice and informative, and I personally can write 2 pages in the time it takes me to make a good screenshot ready for an AAR - I hate to do screenshots in AAR, even if they are neeeded.....so this one from my point of view would be a large update... :D

Looks like a very interesting set up. :)

:eek: :eek: :eek:

i love this aar ;)

Very well written, and very good start, and i like the aars with a lot of game screens and images (this is one of them)

PD : Please, all new events send me or put them in the mod34 thread

Good luck

untitled2-1.jpg

After the Catalan Defeat, the world turned its attention yet again. This time to the London Naval Treaty, c.1934. All the great Naval Powers would be assembled, Japan, the U.S., and Great Britain of course. In addition France and Italy would attend. Each had their own Naval agenda's to attend too. While its tempting to use this Event with Hindsight and say "it never amounted to a thing" that wouldn't be 100% true. It may be hard to grasp, but the events of this conference would have far reaching effects.

The Proposal was for a 5-5-3-1-1 Agreement. Meaning United Kingdom-United States-Japan-Italy-France. The proposal satisfied the French who had to focus much of its military budget on Land. It didn't satisfy Italy who thought the conference was way too British Biased for obvious reasons. The Japanese were downright offended by it though. The Protest made sense, the treaty left Japan weaker than Britain and the United States, putting it in a bad position should a war start. Japan stormed out and a final treaty couldn't be agreed upon yet.

ScreenSave9.jpg

World attention soon turned to an Italian Fort found in Ethiopia. Ethiopia launched a formal League of Nations protest, but it fell on deaf ears. Ethiopia continued to protest and hope for something. Yet anyone could tell the struggle was too far up hill. Still, their remained a Chance of Ethiopia lashing out against Italy.

Untitiled2.jpg

ScreenSave12.jpg

Japan rejected a final agreement due to the earlier insult. Thus the World was left with uncertainty. Would Japan push a major Rearmament? Or would it focus on gobbling up China? The World was left with uncertainty and gall. Japan was free too build up as it wanted, and who was to stop her? 1934 ended in a somber mood. The World was left wondering when the next act would come. Few could tell how big that act would be in a few years time.

Next: The Murder? of King Alexander

Note: Next Update should cover most of 1935 as well.