• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
General_Grant said:
You should build an Andean empire. Simple suggestion:
asienxr5.png

This AAR is fun- Who could expect Paraguay to take its capital back?

I'm not so sure about an Andean Empire, however, Chile will be a lot bigger when all this is done. :D

---
On second thought...
That may actually be really cool.
This is a flag I drew up on a whim. What do you think?
Andean_Empire.jpg

Now I just got to post on that "Make a Flag" thread!

Last edited:
Quanto said:
Ummm... :confused:
What does OOB mean??? I'm afraid i need to lurk more :wacko:
OOB = order of battle. A list of all combat forces, thier commanders, brigades etc...

son of liberty said:
OOB = order of battle. A list of all combat forces, thier commanders, brigades etc...

Oooooh. Well in that case, I still can't answer that ;_;

I gave all the information i could in the latter half of that post. The only ships to survive on the Chilean side was the two Submarine groups. De la Motte was commanding the fleet. I'm not sure who was commanding the Peruvian fleet, whoever he was, he was better than De la Motte :mad: .

None of the Peruvian ships were sunk.

I'll be sure to be more detailed with my future Naval Engagements. To be honest, I love naval warefare and I am disappointed in myself for not paying more attention to that fight. The land war had greater precidence at the time. :(

Quanto said:
Oooooh. Well in that case, I still can't answer that ;_;

I gave all the information i could in the latter half of that post. The only ships to survive on the Chilean side was the two Submarine groups. De la Motte was commanding the fleet. I'm not sure who was commanding the Peruvian fleet, whoever he was, he was better than De la Motte :mad: .

None of the Peruvian ships were sunk.

I'll be sure to be more detailed with my future Naval Engagements. To be honest, I love naval warefare and I am disappointed in myself for not paying more attention to that fight. The land war had greater precidence at the time. :(
I just want to know your forces. How many divisions, what kind, how many aircraft what kind, fleet composition. Info on the commanders, skill lvl, traits etc... would also be cool.

Part III: The Andes Erupt!​

3.4 Peru's Demise​

While the civilian population celebrated their country's total victory over Bolivia, there was still the Campaign in Peru.

Peru, Bolivia's oldest ally, and Chile's greatest challenger for naval supremacy in the south pacific. When the war started and Bolivia had truly shown signs of possible victory and competence, Peru in an act of good faith join their side. But the moment Chile started thier big push into Bolivian territory, Peru was the first to fold. However, it was Bolivia that would be the first to actually be defeated. Peru was spared early defeat only because of their Geography.

Strangely though, despite Peru's failure to win any battles on land. They had infact dealt several embarrassing blows to the Chilean Navy. And it was this fact that had most of the Chilean population and senate calling for Annexiation.

And so, Gen. Rabe drew up plans for a final victory in Peru. Leading to the capture of the Capital of Lima. He did not call the other commanders to meeting this time. He simply informed them by field telephone and radio. It would be simple and swift. Just like the taking of Bolivia.

Rabe's forces had already completed the first phase by routing the defenders of Arequipa. The first order of business was to secure the remaining bolivian territories under Peruvian control. This was an act more of principal rather than anything of strategic importance. Rabe was a careful planner. He didn't want to allow the Peruvians a chance to counter-attack. So taking the Frontier Territories of Cojiba and Rio Blanco seemed to be only logical. The force of choice for this matter was General Mujica's 5th Corps Mountain troops. Though unfortunately for them, they would be actually fighting in Jungle for the remainder of the campaign. Though Rabe had confidence in 5th Corps' resourcefulness.
image055.jpg

From that initial strike by Mujica, the rest of the Chilean forces would proceed to link up in Cobija and spread out to take the remaining provinces.
image056.jpg

As Gen. Rabe finished drawing out his plans, he looked up to notice a man in an unfamiliar uniform enter his command tent.
"General Carlos Fuentes Rabe?" the man asked with a mild portugese accent.
"Yes?" the General asked.
"I am a Liaisson Officer from the Brazilian Airforce, I have come to inform you on behalf of Brazilian High Command, that we are here to Assist the Armies of Chile in her war against the remaining forces of Peru." The man stood at attention waiting for the Chilean General's confirmation.
"What? Oh yes! I deeply sorry, i had forgotten that Brazil joined us. You will have to excuse me, we weren't expecting Brazilian support so quickly after the announcement." The two officer shook hands and exchanged pleasantries.
image057.jpg

"The Brazillian Airforce is willing to offer close air support and tactical bombing raids upon the Peruvian ground troops."
"What about ground support?" General Rabe asked.
"Unfortunately, we have not mobilized our forces fully. That and we would have to move a vast number of our troops through the amazon jungles, and we doubt they would reach the Peruvian border before this war is over. We have the fullest confidence in your Chilean Mountain fighters."
"Well I will accept your complement. And your airforce is most welcome to use our airfields."
"Thank you General. I think you will find our tactical bombers to be just the extra punch you need."

Following General Rabes final plans, and with Brazilian Air Support, the Chilean army was able to make rapid and successive gains.
image059.jpg

The Brazilian Airforce made sure that Peru's forces would not be able to counter attack. The countinous bombing made life hell for the beaten Peruvians.
image060.jpg

So much so that they once again tried for peace. And once again, the Chilean Senate turned it down.
image061.jpg

The war was nearly over at any rate. General Rabe's forces supported by Lt. General Pena had finally had victory in Lima. Peru was as good as annexed.
image062.jpg

Chilean forces led by Lt General Charpin Rival had also defeated Peruvian Militias in Rio Branco.
image063.jpg

Last edited:
Continued from last post...

However, the People of Peru would always be able to take pride in the fact that their navy was able to sink Chilean ships all the way to the end of the war. Chile would however say that the battles were victories as it was the Peruvian fleet that had to withdraw in each one.
image064.jpg

Dispite the Peruvian Navy's greatest efforts, it was the Chilean Army that would march into Lima and demand Peru's unconditional surrender. This time, the Peruvian Government would not escape the capital.
image066.jpg

image068.jpg

With the second Saltpeter War finally over. Chile now had twice the territory and IC it had ever been able to build on its own. Its old rivals finally defeated, Chile now had to deal with the increased difficulty of occupying and controlling two proud and angry nations.

image069.jpg

Will President Pedro Aguirre Cerda be able to stay on the Allies' good side and maintain a democracy in this now much larger nation?
Or will the USA and UK consider Chile to be a new threat?

Next...
Rebuilding the Navy
and
Defending a New Empire

Stay tuned!

Last edited:
Yes! Very nice! Its almost the Andean Empire i purposed. Now you than you are allied with Brazil, your politicaly dominate South America.

chefportnen said:
I'll bet the Argentines aren't very happy that you allied with Brazil...
So what if they are? They would be a good puppet.

considering he likes naval warfare.....that coast to coast thing would be nice....why puppet when you can annex? :D

General_Grant: I may Dominate Politically at the moment, however, I am in a bad way technologically, which i plan on correcting over the next two game years.

chefportnen: No, they aren't. Unfortunately, I won't be able to survive a war with them just yet. They outnumber me in Mountain Divisions and they have 3 HQs and 4 armored divisions. Though having Brazil as my buddy will have its advantages.

son of liberty: they will be a lot more than a good puppet, I do plan on taking some of thier atlantic holdings. They will be a lot smaller in time.

Simon-1979: I may not annex them completely, though i do plan on taking large swaths of land. :D
Maybe split them between myself and brazil.

Part IV: Rebuilding a Nation​

4.1 Foreign Protests, and Justifying Expansion​

Presidente Pedro Aguirre Cerda stood over the podium looking across the cheering crowds below. Chile had won the war and incidentally had vaulted itself onto the world stage. Having been outnumber 3 to one by the combined forces of Bolivia and Peru, Chile's highly trained and modern army had proven its quality. And with peace finally at hand, Presidente Cerda was finally able to push forward the reforms that he had always intended. "To Educate is to Rule" was his postwar mantra as he pushed many education reforms across the whole of Chile and the newly conquered Bolivia.
Cerda01.jpg

However, while in Chile proper he was being hailed as a hero and magnificent leader. The occupied lands of Bolivia and Peru were a hotbed of Guerrilla activity. Many military and political planners suggested that garrisons with MP attachments would be an adequate solution to the problem. However, Cerda and his cabinet had a different idea. One that would make or break the current administration. Many hoped for the former.

The Allied powers had been fighting a brutal and losing war with the axis powers since 1939. However, the United States was still neutral and had been paying close attention to the events transpiring in the Andes Mountains. While they supported Chile's position against Bolivia, they were not pleased to see that the Chilean Senate was so willing to annex both nations. The US proceeded to send an envoy to Chile to discuss plans for Liberation.

In the end a final deal was brokered, and not in favor of the United States. Cerda and his ministers presented their "Intergration and Reconstruction Plan" to both the Chilean Senate and US ambassador. All of the Bolivian Land would be considered part of the Nation of Chile. Santa Cruz would be given to Paraguay, the population would be granted full citizenship into the Chilean Republic and full voting rights. Every Bolivian province would receive equal representation in the Chilean senate and many of the former Bolivian leaders would be allowed to return to politics. To further improve relations between the Chilean people and the Bolivians (and to deter any sense of "Master" and "Servant" between groups) would work together in the same government institutions and military. Chileans and Bolivians would work side by side.

The Chilean senate was split on the matter. The moderates and Liberals felt it was a reasonable and progressive plan. However the Conservatives wanted nothing to do with the matter and sided with the US officials in Liberating the nation and puppeting it. While those on the Far-Right only wanted the land and simply said to deal with guerrillas in a harsh military manner.

image070.jpg

Fortunately for Cerda, the Leftists and Moderates were in control of the senate and the plan was put into action. The United States protested mildly but was happy to see that the Chilean Government was at least willing to acknowledge the rights of its new "Citizens".

image071.jpg

US Relations drop from +125 to +75...

Chilean officials, educators, and skilled workers were sent to the Bolivian provinces and began a vast reconstruction phase that would last for the next two years. So far revolts in Sucre and La Paz had dropped from 11% to 0% nearly overnights. In occupied Peru however, violence continued.

Last edited:
The best option for the greater good of everyone. Next problem to solve: Peru. A similar solution should be good.

Are you rebuilding the Chilean navy?

In my battles with Peru, I learned quickly how ineffective Tech1-3 Ships are. If I am going to build a modern Chilean navy, I will need to build up my tech levels first. I also hope to improve relations with the US again and maybe try to buy some ships. We'll see how it goes.

Part IV: Rebuilding a Nation​

4.2 Catching Up​

President Cerda, General Rabe, and Admiral De La Motte sat at a round table in the President's office. The War in Andes may have ended, but now the flames of war had seemed to engulf the whole of the planet. Hitler's Germany had taken Poland, Norway, France and were now at war with the Soviet Union. Many in the senate were calling for action. But even those in the military proper were not so hasty to return to combat.

Chile's economy was in full recovery mode. Every bit of industrial muscle was used to modernize the Bolivian provinces and promote new unity in the now greater Chile. Two infantry divisions were disbanded and their soldiers given pension and retirement pay to help boost consumer growth and the workforce. Vast reforms were put in place throughout the country's rural provinces and towns, reforms to move the country from an agricultural base to an industrial one. Many economists educated in Britian and the US were brought into the government to create a strong free market and to privatize the now expansive copper market. Their biggest importers being the the United States and United Kingdom. While the US was not at war, they were in fact building up their forces. It seemed that the western hemisphere would soon join with Europe and Asia in this new World War. Cerda wanted his Chile to be prepared.

Many Economic analysts felt that increased metal trade with Venezuela to get oil from their rich deposits would help in fueling the new industrial economy. Coal was also a small and precious commodity. A commodity that Columbia had a lot of. Several major trade agreements made as a result.

Reaching an agreement with Venezuela was a challenge, as they already had a rich supply of resources, however, their industry could not support the number of supplies required for their army. Chile was more than happy to assist.
image072.jpg

Columbia too had a vast supply of natural resources. Especially coal. Chilean negotiators had to offer a wide variety of materials to meet Columbia's requirements for such a large shipment to Chile.
image073.jpg

For now Chile's energy hungry industrial economy would have what it required.

The technological front was a more difficult matter. During the Second Saltpeter War, Chile's research teams had been focused on only the necessities. As the nation had been bankrupt for nearly two years following losing antofagasta. This bankruptcy resulted in a massive technological lag. Now that those resources were returned, Chile was in a race to catch up not just with the European powers but their neighbors Brazil and Argentina.

Brazil however was more than happy to offer assistance.
Though, some of the blueprints obtain were deemed more harmful than helpful. (Converting Energy to Oil, was at the bottom of the Energy starved nation's Priorities.)

A large variety of technologies were researched between the January of 1941 through to September.
  • Great War Tank
  • Improved (Tech4) Destroyers
  • Early Heavy Cruisers
  • New Land and Naval Doctrines
  • Encryption and Decryption

What Admiral De La Motte was most enthusiastic about though. Was the continued research into Chile's Aircraft Carriers. He had been traveling to Japan, the United States, and the UK to look into the best way to implement an effective Carrier force in the Pacific. He quickly realized the the UK's approach was not the best for Pacific Naval Warfare, their carriers were too small and sacrificed too much for survivablity. De La Motte, also noted the US's lack of interest in advancing their Carrier force. They seemed far too much in love with the 8 Battleships mored in Pearl Harbor. Japan however, boasted a powerful and impressive array of Carrier uses and designs.

From what he learned from the Japanese Imperial Navy, he felt that Chile would be more than capable of protecting its small Pacific holdings. The Archipelagos of Isla San Felix and Juan Fernandez would be stepping stones for the modern Chilean Navy and safeguards for the whole of the South Eastern Pacific.

image075.jpg

General Rabe had less concerns as he himself knew that any future war would be fought at sea. For this reason, he was now working closely with Admiral De La Motte in creating a Chilean Marine Corps. A powerful new professional force to challenge the other naval powers.

In addition to the research and design of a new Carrier force. Many Naval commanders were actually quite proud of the performance of their Battleship Almirante Latorre that they felt a second one would make an excellent sister ship to the original. And with that a second was to be built, not in the UK like Almirante Latorre, but rather in the new Shipyards at Antofagasta. She would be later commissioned a BACH Republica de Chile, and be the first ever Major Warship built and commissioned in South America. This fact alone made the workers at the Shipyard very proud.
image076.jpg

To be Continued...

Last edited:
Good play thus far. What next argentina? join allies?

SPECIAL REPORT!!!​

The Chilean Navy - An Example for South America​

November, 1942 - The United States Searches for Allies in unlikely places
Following the Japanese Surprise attack on Pearl Harbor, the American Pacific Fleet has been sent reeling with defeat after defeat. The Japanese warmachine is all but unstoppable as they take island after island from Allied hands. The only remaining naval powers on the Allied side are the United Kingdom and the United States. But even then, the Imperial Japanese Navy has them outmatched in every way. But hope is not lost!

Santiago, Chile -
cerda02.jpg

Following Presidente Pedro Aguirre Cerda's Reelection by a popular vote of over 78% during the January of 1942, the Chilean Administration has pushed forward a massive Naval Build Up. Not just in Ships, but Naval Aircraft, and Marine forces.
image079.jpg
image080.jpg

Presidente Cerda has proven to the rest of the Western World that South America is truly a place of new opportunities! With a progressive and radical intergration program, Chile has been able to stabilize and revitalize the once impoverished and hostile lands of Bolivia. In 1938, Chile had an Industrial Capacity of only 55 and a destroyed economy as a result of the loss of Antofagast Province. With the forced removal of Arturo Palma, Chile's people elected Aguirre Cerda by a narrow margin of 51%. Fortunately for Chile, it soon turned to be the right choice as Chile took advantage of the moment and expanded their territory by three fold. With over 140 major copper mines throughout the Andes, Chile now dominates the world metal market. And with all of these fresh resources, Chile has produced a truly World-Class Naval Force. One that the Roosevelt Administration would like tap into.
SouthAmericaNavalStats.jpg

During early this December, President Roosevelt, Presidente Cerda, and President Vargas will negotiate the inclusion of Chile and Brazil into the Allied side of the war. Their recent completion of a new Battleship and Two Carriers (all built in Chilean Naval Yards by the Chilean corporation of "ENDESA" in Antofagasta), has given the Chilean people a source of great national pride and accomplishment.
Republica.jpg

"The BACH Republica is the first-ever large warship to be constructed completely in a South American port."

Chile now has 2 Improved Carriers that many confidently say can "Fight the Japanese toe to toe and Win."
image077.jpg

The First to be commissioned was the "BACH Pacifico"
Pacifico.jpg

"The BACH Pacifico and her sister-ship BACH Los Andes de Chile are the pride and joy of ENDESA Corporation and the Chilean People."

Cerda, Vargas and Roosevelt met together at the new Chilean Pacific base in Isla San Felix to greet the new ships. Along with these ships were also six new Light Cruisers.
  • BACH Punta Arenas
  • BACH Valdivia
  • BACH Chillan
  • BACH Valparaiso
  • BACH Osorno
    and
  • BACH Santiago de Chile
image078.jpg

Words between the three leaders were friendly and hopeful. The leaders of the "Andean Alliance" (Chile, Paraguay, and Brazil) were very positive and reassuring.
SanFelix.jpg

However, little has been mentioned following the talks, Roosevelt was seen leaving Santiago Internation Airport late on December 2nd, with little said to news agencies.

-December 3rd 1942
World Press

Last edited: