• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Quanto

Major
80 Badges
Jul 13, 2006
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Lead and Gold
Title02.jpg
This AAR is Dead Again :(
Some Pre-AAR Notes:
This AAR originally started as a game I jokingly started as Bolivia in 1936, I demaded territory from the surrounding countries (Chile, Brazil, Paraguay) and with a 50/50 chance of success I managed to gain all of them without a fight. This of course worsened relations with all my neighbors and such, but I managed to build up Bolivia's infrastructer and other such things. They now have a total IC of a little over 20 and I cheated a little and gave them insanely good tech teams :D (21 - 37ish range)

By '38 tho I got to thinking about how much turmoil there must be in Chile at that point. I mean seriously, there is no love between Bolivia and Chile, then or now. So i can only imagine how pissed the people there are with their current administration.

So I got to thinking, how cool would it be to play as a weakened Chile, rebuild the people's trust, take back what was lost, and crush bolivia forever?

The Mod I'm Running:
The mod I am using is actually an incomplete one i've been working on for the last 5 months. My copy of HOI is no longer vanilla and I don't really plan on installing another copy. This mod was being designed with a World War 3 in the year 2121 in mind. This involves South America in a grand way. As I gave Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Columbia and Venezuela a bit of a "modernization boost". A, B, and C all have IC's comparible to any medium European power, (between 120(Brazil) and 57(Chile)). They also have better tech teams as well. Other mod settings include more Urban provinces, 80% IC for controlled non-national provinces (rather than 20%).

I hope this isn't all too much information at once ^_^;;

What I've done with Chile outside the game:
I've been doing some research on Chile's leadership and I decided to keep Mr. Pedro Aguirre Cerda in charge following the 1938 election. At first i wanted to reinstall Arturo Palma to power, but upon researching his Real-Life career I found out he was a bit of a dick, so I decided to let Pedro stay. As it turns out, it appears that Mr. Cerda was actually a really nice guy (at least thats what Wikipedia says, if there are any Chilean History experts who would like to say otherwise, please tell :D ).

However the game gave him crappy stats, which I think is a little unfare to be honest (his presidency was short lived as he died of Tuberculosis in 1941), for game purposes I've decided to remove that 1941 death date and say he never actually contracts it and gets to lead his country out of its potential ruin. I'm also going to give him a bit more "flattering" leadership stats, that essentially reflectt his personality rather than his actual historical contributions.

I won't restore the Bolivian tech team stats and instead i'll give Chile a likewise boost. (I'm an impatient person and I hate waiting for stuff to tech-up.)

Additional update!!!
I've just made some modifications to the ai files to both, Peru and Bolivia:
Bolivia: Now much more agressive, they will attempt to take the following countries into combat: Chile, Brazil, Paraguay, and to a lesser extent, Ecuador. Why Ecuador? Becuase their buddies Peru are demanding territory there, and I figure if Bolivia ends up allying with Peru (which they should following my moddifications :D ) they will want to help their Peruvian buddies out.
They also now hate Chile's guts, as they do in real life. Now things should be very interesting.
Peru: Pretty much the same as bolivia, though less agressive, and lacking communist tendencies. Will try to avoid conflict with their big brother Brazil to their East.

Alright, thats it for the background info. Onto the AAR!

Last edited:
I have alway tough than South America was neglected in that game. Good luck, im following!

Go LWR and try to pull a coup in the USA! :D

Part I: The Bolivian Problem

December, 1938

President Pedro Aguirre Cerda looked over the newspaper on his desk. It was grim news indeed, more riots and civil unrest throughout the country. Palma had done an excellent job in thoroughly ruining his great nation of Chile.
image001.jpg

Without ever firing a shot or even a mild protest, the former-president Arturo Palma handed Antofogasta over to the Bolivians. Now the Bolivians, who were being lead by that mad-man Beccera had effectively doubled their territory after bullying both Brazil and Paraguay.
image002.jpg

Of course, it was this very mess that put Cerda into office, the Chilean people were crying bloody murder over the last two years since losing the northern coast and all of the valuable metal mines with it. The economy collapsed nearly overnight. They wanted justice, and for them justice was kicking Palma out of the country.

Cerda was a peaceful man by nature, and he was more interested in trying to improve his country from within rather than continuing old rivalries with her neighbors. The old school teacher only wanted to improve his country's education system and with it the country as a whole, but fate as it would seem has other plans for him. Of course, Cerda knew that the only way to truly restory Chilean pride and end this humilation, was to take back Antofogasta. By force if neccissary, and that was what Cerda was preparing for.

One by one his cabinet entered the conference room. They had an agressive neighbor to the north and they had to do something to stop him.

image003.jpg

The first to arrive was his foreign minister, Miguel Cruchaga Tacomal, most saw him as a simple minded man and a brute, but since Cerda wasn't much for talking tough, Tacamal was the perfect man for the situation.

Next was Chile's Armaments Minister, Eduardo Hillman, Mr. Hillman was actually from a north american family and Cerda felt his background would be useful not only in perfecting the national army's munitions and equipment, but also help Tacamal build warm relations with the United States. That is, should events in the southern continent go totally awry.

Then there was the Minister of Security, this was a job that Cerda did not envy. With all of the revolts and protests, they would need a man who could keep things together and gain the trust of the people. That man was Abraham Ortega Aguayo.

The Intelligence minister, Federico Escamante, was next to enter the room. He was picked specifically with the purpose of tracking Bolivian troop movements. His understanding of Army supply lines and habits would be perfect for this task. Cerda knew that the Bolivians did not yet have a navy as they had only recently obtained a coastline. Naval intelligence was not yet an issue.

Then there was the Chief of Staff and Cheif of the Navy, C.J. de la Motte. This man was truely one in a million here in south america. While other military leaders were still emphasising Guerrilla tactics and militias, this man knew that Artillery was the king of the battle, and that Air Carriers would be the wave of the future in naval warfare. Since the early thirties when he first witnessed British Carrier tactics in the atlantic he knew the direction Chile's Navy would have to take. Since then he had been petitioning the government to invest in a Carrier force and submarines. Now under Cerda's leadership he would have his chance.

The Chief of the Army was Carlos Fuentes Rabe, another rarity in South American strategy, he shared many beleifes with de la Motte and beleived that crushing the enemy in a swift and decisive battle would demoralize them enough for the Chilean Army to steamroll over the Bolivian Communist rabble.

Dario Mujica Gamboa was a strong proponent of Air Superiority. But was also aware of the pitiful state of the Chilean Airforce, it was this fact that convinced Cerda to appoint him to the head of the Airforce, it would take a main who recognizes the flaws in a force to fix them. He too had been working closely with de la Motte to promote a force of Naval Bombers and Intercepter Fighters.

With all of them at the table together Cerda sat down and started the meeting after the guard left the room and closed the door.

Cerda turned to his foreign minister. "What is the situation with our neighbors, besides the one to the north."

Miguel let out a cough and pulled out a folder with several files, "Well, I finished speaking with the Argentinian ambassador and he said simply that the issue with Bolivia is not an Argentine issue and that while he and his goverment are sympathetic to our situation, they do not want to get involved. It seems they are not interested in fighting a second saltpeter war."

Cerda frowned, the Argentine army is one of the largest on the continent, and the two countries have had reletively good relations for a long time. Of course the depression has taken its toll on everyone. He looked at the other files under Tacomal's arms. "Is there anything else? It looks like you have a lot."

"Well, it seems that we do have a few other potential friends. Though it may not be completely obvious to some."

He passed some folders around.
image004.jpg

"If you all look at the top of the file, we have Brazil. Now, their relations with us are only mildly friendly, but they have one thing in common with us the Argentina does not."

"They lost territory to Bolivia as well." Federico Escamante chimed in.

"That is right, and because of that, I think that with a little more warming up with them, an alliance may not be out of the question. It will simply take a little careful choice of words." Tacomal looked around the table and lifted the second file. "The United States, they may be far away, but they like us a whole lot better than they are liking the Bolivians and Beccera right now. Ever since Beccera started warming up with the soviets, the Americans removed their diplomat and abandoned their embassy faster than we did."

"Will they help us militarily?" Cerda asked in high hopes.

"I doubt it," Hillman interupted, "they may like us enough to trade and talk to us, but the only way I see them intervene is if Beccera plows over us and everyone else on this continent. The only way I see them getting involved is if Beccera decides to invade Columbia."

"Which is right next to the Canal." Cerda frowned. He lifted the American file and looked at the third, "Why do I see Paraguay here?"

Tacomal grinned, "Paraguay will be our wildcard. They had their territory stolen from them as well. And they are even worse off than Brazil or us."

Cerda and his staff looked over the file, "You are right, it seems that Beccera stole their entire manufacturing base."

"Exactly, and on top of that, he tried to annex the rest of their country as well. But they put up a hell of a fight, held off for 8 months and finally forced Beccera to offer a white peace."

"Wow!" The whole table was astonished with the determination of the people of Paraguay.

"So what does this have to do with us?" General Rabe asked.

"Beccera will probably try to invade Paraguay again before they try to take us out. Even though they hate us more than any other country, they also know we can outproduce them. Paraguay on the otherhand has only one industrial complex left and a small guerrila army. They may not win the next conflict."

"What do yo suggest we do?" Cerda asked.

"Guarantee their Independence."

The whole table was filled with confused and skeptical faces.

Tacomal continued, "If we Guarantee their Independence, it will give us a Causus Belli against Beccera, and we can take him while he is still fighting with whatever resistence Paraguay puts up. If we are lucky, they will last for at least three months, and that will be more than enough time to take back Antofogasta and then their capital."

image005.jpg

Cerda was shocked by the brutality and foresight of his minister. "Did you plan all this?"

"No, I merely hinted at the scenario, and your military Chiefs drew up the details."

De la Motte, and Rabe smiled with a hint of self satisfaction.

"So when do we start?"

De la Motte frowned slightly, "Unfortunately, that is all up to Beccera. We do have other contingency plans should he attack us first."

Mr. Aguayo interupted, "Ultimately, it would be unwise for us to start anything or do anything that would prompt the Bolivians to do anything at the moment. We need to stablize things a home first. Fortunately, even though unrest and civil strife has been at an all time high, there are signs of things quieting down. Ever since the people and senate ejected Palma we have had considerable more breathing room. However, if we do not act quickly, we may never gain back the trust of the population."

The Security Minister's statement brought a sobering air to the room. Those were the immediate facts and it it truly was up to the Bolivians as to if and when a new Saltpeter War starts up.

end of chapter...

Last edited:
On a side note:

I was wondering if anyone in the audience who speaks spanish (or better yet, the Chilean dialect of Spanish) would be willing to offer up some cool, symbolic names for some of my army units, and possible Carrier fleet?

Planned forces that need cool names:

Original Chilean Battleship Fleet (old as fuck, but still useful)

Modern Carrier Fleet (not built yet, but still needs a cool name)

Elite Mountain Corps 1

Elite Mountain Corps 2

Armored Cav Corps (very distant in the future, but still want a name!)

Main Army

Marine Corps

Haha yes, the mines. Take them back! By jingo!

Oh nice start! Go Chile! Crush thoses Bolivians.

If you defeat thoses yo shoud invest in a good navy. Chile must control the South Pacific!

For the ships, there is a few suggestions i can give you, but no much.

Chilean motto:
"Por la Razón o la Fuerza" wich mean: "By Reason or Force"

Maybe retake Antofogasta by reason/Force?

Chacabuco: the last battle for the liberation of Chile against Spain.

Huamachuco: Victory agaist the Bolivians in 1883.

Diego de Almagro: Discovered Chile, trough the mountains (Elite mountain corp?)

Magellan: "Discovered" Chile by sea.

Bernardo O'Higgins Riquelme: First leader of the independent Chile.

-Hope this help you a little bit.

Oh wow i gots supporters! :D
Those are some good names there, General_Grant! By the way, it was your AAR as China in mod33 that inspired me to write this one, that was a truely entertaining campaign you did.

An update will be coming as soon as i get some custom events to work.

If any of you know anything about event writting can you check out what i have so far?
Sout American Events :D

I just had a look at you events;

Thy don't seem to include any errors, but i suggest you to revome the

Code:
persistent = yes

Or it will alway happen. Maybe its what you want, so if yes keep your events as they are now.

I just ran some tests. If i trigger the event manually playing as bolivia, all happens as scripted. However, while playing as chile (as intended) Paraguay's event triggers without prompting which is not supposed to happen.

I'm hoping to get a solution to that problem, but none have been forthcoming so far. :(

You should ally w/ Peru :nods:.

You should conquer argentina ;). They don't want to help as a friend, let them help as a puppet :D