• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Judas Maccabeus: Now there is an interesting stab at it , JM . You usually don't come out with theories or speculations but you are on to something here XD

Avernite: Haha , how about the idea that Toma , the twin is referring to a Thomas ? Think about what that might mean for a second XD

General_BT : Thank you sir ! Hope you get caught up soon as well ! Thanks again for the comments , I really do enjoy when people comment on previous chapters as they catch up !

canonizedphoenixdace.png

You've Been Canonized!: Phoenix Dace​

Good morning everyone and welcome to another installment of You’ve Been Canonized! our weekly interview segment here on Timelines where we interview a patron author and get to know more about them, their thoughts on Timelines , and their current AAR or project ! If you’re new to the programme, I’m your host canonized author of Timelines: What if Spain Failed to Control the World? and today’s guest is another new friend of ours Phoenix Dace author of Services for One's Country, in Peace and War Alike. Let’s get to the questions !

Part I: From the Ashes …
PD shares with us a little about himself !

canonized: My first question is a curiosity of my own , where does your name come from ?

Phoenix Dace: Well, it's actually something I came up with years ago, when I first started out on internet forums. It's a combination of phoenixes, which are cool, and a character I particularly liked from a book I was reading at the time. Plus, when combined, the name 'Phoenix Dace' is very similar, phonetically, to my real name. From there, I ended up liking it a lot, and it just sort of stuck.

canonized: And please tell us , how long have you been on the paradox forums and specifically how long have you been writing AARs ?

Phoenix Dace: I've been a member of the forums from March 2005. A friend of mine found HOI2 and introduced me to Paradox games, and from there we found the AAR Forum and quite enjoyed some of the tales we read - particularly The Yogi's 'Iron Crosses' HOI1 AAR. I signed up in order to post comments and maybe my own AAR, but I never got around to actually posting anything of substance until August of that year, when I posted my first AAR - it was an alternate history of Canada, and, my moment of pride, it won me WritAAR of the Week after two days and three updates. Of course, it ended up dying once I actually got into the actual game, because the modding occurred when I started the writing, and over the months it took me to finish writing the backstory, the game itself was patched to where I could no longer stand to play unmodified HOI2 v1.2 . I think I went off the rails there somewhere - I mean that the HOI2 engine was patched, but my modded version was an older version, and thus quite clunky to play since I was used to the new one.

canonized: What can you say about HOI2 as a medium for making AARs specifically for those who wish to make non-gameplay ones ?

Phoenix Dace: Well, it's obviously a prime medium for history book-style AARs, since that's a very writeable topic - you just have to walk into any bookstore to see that it's fairly easy to write a history book about WWII. That's also, in my opinion, the easiest (after gameplay) type of AAR for HOI2, because it's the easiest way to work in things like writing about specific operations, numbers of divisions, etc For narrative AARs, it presents a more intriguing challenge, but one that can be quite rewarding. There's really two types - one that uses real-life political and military figures, and focuses on these characters discussing large-scale strategy, in which case it basically turning into a history-book AAR with characters. The other way is to focus on a smaller delineation, of a specific soldier, civilian, intelligence operative, etc. or a small group of the same. In my opinion, this way is the most rewarding, but also the most challenging - you have to either be able to work in game events into these people's lives, or you have to completely ignore game events and just focus on sending these characters through the world that your AAR has created. Another thing which shows up more when writing for HOI2 is the need for a bit of caution. You're dealing with events which happened within recent history, and even within some living people's lives - using historical figures from that time as characters in your story can be dangerous, since a lot of people can have very strong feelings about these things - for instance, if you made Hitler a lovable character, you might have some problems with how your AAR is received. You have to sort of walk on eggshells at certain points when writing a HOI2 AAR.

canonized: Why have you chosen to have narratives be a prominent portion of your repertoire ? What are its draws and your experience with such a writing style ?

Phoenix Dace: The initial reason I chose to write a narrative was to work on my own writing skills. I knew I could write history-book AARs, I had been doing so for over a year, but I wanted to branch out and didn't see an opportunity to do so in my current AAR, because of its format. In order to get around that, I started writing a series of chapters about an American spy in the pre-WWII years, and I got so absorbed in it that, with my other AAR dying from lack of comments, I gave up on the first one and focused entirely on the narrative. Really, it was to give myself a chance to work on it, and try to improve. The draws of a narrative are you really get to explore certain characters, and certain events, a lot. In a history book, the characters are mostly just names, but in a narrative you really see what's going on behind them. In my opinion, the best thing about narrative writing is the characters, because if you're reading a good writer's work, the characters can really come alive. As for my own experience? None, really. Never written a narrative AAR in my life before this one, though I wrote some absolutely god-awful short stories when I was about eight years old. I guess that counts as some experience.

canonized: Since you mentioned improvement , did you eventually plan on using these writing talents to real life endeavors ?

Phoenix Dace: Hopefully, someday I'll be a rich and famous published author who can live off his words. Unfortunately, that's unlikely to happen. Seriously though, I just really love writing, and because I love writing for myself and for others, a lot of why I post AARs here on the forums is so that I can improve my own writing for the sake of improvement. I just like getting better at stuff.

canonized: Do you have any advice for those out there who might be thinking of doing a narrative but are perhaps afraid of the reception or lack of comments that is a risk with all AARs ?

Phoenix Dace: First off, don't be afraid of the reception. I have never seen an AAR be poorly-received. The bulk of comments you get will be positive, and those rare few that aren't will be more neutral or constructive criticism than negative. We tend to maintain a pretty positive environment here. As for the lack of comments, that's just a reality you have to accept. It can be very discouraging - I actually abandoned an AAR once because I only had one commentator - but you just have to realize when you start your AAR that it probably won't be madly popular. Not everyone can write Fu Manchu or Timelines, and often it seems as if the popular AARs get more popular - a sort of snowball effect. So you just have to stick with it. It's something I hate hearing when someone tells it to me, but it's true. Over time, you will get readers dropping by. If they like the story enough, they'll keep reading it, and if you're lucky, one in ten of those readers will post comments. If you're really lucky, you'll get a diehard core of a few people who post after every update. I lucked into a few people like that with my current AAR. Also, the bottom line is this: Even if it seems like you have no commentators, there will be plenty of people reading but not commenting.

Part II: Another Journeyman
Phoenix relates some of his thoughts on his continuing journey through Timelines .

canonized: Where did you hear about Timelines ?

Phoenix Dace: I started reading it back when I was actually keeping track of EU3 AARs, right after the game came out. At this point there were only maybe half a dozen chapters, and I read them. I didn't have the time to keep up with it as it progressed, though, and now I'm wishing I had. One update every few days would have been much easier to keep up with than trying to read it all now! Oh, and I didn't hear about it from anywhere - I saw it in the thread list and read it of my own accord.

canonized: What are your impressions so far of it ?

Phoenix Dace: It's a quite good yarn. As you know, I'm only about 20 chapters in, but I quite like the way the characters are developing slowly. It's far too easy as a writer to rush through characterization, especially if you've already planned out how the characters will be. That's a trap you've mostly managed to avoid here, and it's a fairly impressive accomplishment.

canonized: Anyone in particular stand out for you so far ?

Phoenix Dace: I think I'm going to go with Renault here. His adventures in Mecca were quite entertaining, and he's a rather resourceful character. I also like the fact that he's not just this typical tough guy, which is a way it would have been easy to write him. Instead, he has a multi-faceted personality, which I find is vital to characters like him. It's too easy to make them the stereotype.

canonized: Renault is a lot of people's favourite after Cardinal DeWitt it seems haha . One of the things we try to do in Timelines is the dual interface of past and present ; how has that impacted your reading ?

Phoenix Dace: I quite like the way it's done, though it does seem rather coincidental how the two developing timelines are going through the same events at the same time. However, it is a good way to detail the things that happened in your game without having to have the 'past' characters talking all about it. It's also interesting how you use exposition in one timeline to explain things about the other, and vice versa. It means there's always things to wonder about both ones, and makes it seem like the whole affair would be pretty confusing for any one character in either timeline, given they don't have the third-party insight that we get from seeing both at the same time.

canonized: Thank you very much ! As a narrative writer yourself , what kind of comments stylistically might you have towards the work ?

Phoenix Dace: Well, it's quite well-written overall, but there's been a couple places going through it where the writing gets a bit clunky and confusing to read. it seems like you kind of get bogged down in the middle of writing a couple updates. Though this isn't a style thing, I'd just recommend writing an update at least a day before you post it, and reread and edit it before you do post it. It's worked for me! Stylistically, I think it's a good mix of description, action, and dialogue. I think you've found a balance that really works to tell the story and to match your own writing style quite well. Keep it up!

canonized: What might you say to someone who would be intimidated both by the fact that it's a narrative and that its currently very lengthy ?

Phoenix Dace: Read it like I do: A couple chapters at a time. Leave the tab/window open, and just come back to it whenever you have a spare half hour or so. If you break it down into manageable bits like that, it doesn't seem so colossal. I mean, it is still colossal, but it seems more manageable in small pieces than as a whole.

canonized: Lastly , what are your speculations on what the Timepiece might be or its thematic significance ?

Phoenix Dace: I'm imagining it will have something to do with time travel and altering the past, and the reason they want to get at Tom in the present is because he's shown a plausible alternate (ha) history that could be brought about by the change of one event. But every time I imagine what it will look like, I imagine a pocket watch, which doesn't seem to fit at all.

Part III: Intrigue and Assassinations ! What more could you want ?
Let’s take a look at Phoenix’s latest AAR !

canonized: My very first question is that you're one of the few AARs I’ve read that actually has a First Person perspective . Would you please tell us why you chose this avenue ?

Phoenix Dace: Well, it just always seemed like the right viewpoint to use. I always set out to tell the story of this one man, and the best way to show everything from his viewpoint is to do just that in the writing. I don't detail others' thoughts, just what Mark thinks they might be things like that. Really, I want the reader to only know what Mark knows. Just recently, I started putting in a couple third-person interludes here and there, to show different aspects of the overall story - primarily because the overall story was very hard to discern from the short arcs I was writing. But even these are more of a teaser. It's just sort of to show what's coming, and make the reader wonder just when they're going to find out about why X is doing Y.

canonized: Speaking of Mark , he's also assumed many aliases throughout his term from a budding spy to assassin etc . It brings up the question of why you chose an espionage piece in particular aside from the obvious thrill of intrigue ?

Phoenix Dace: I like writing about espionage, it's a topic that gives a lot of opportunities for different stories. I made Mark an all-purpose part-time agent so that I could tell a wide variety of stories. As well, espionage fits so well into the global situation that it means I can easily show what's going on in the world. In addition, in all the narrative AARs I've seen on the Paradox forums, I've never seen one focused specifically on espionage, so it felt like I was doing something totally new, which is always a good feeling.

canonized: You've also sent us to different places from Finland to Istanbul all with their own unique set of challenges and peoples . Could you comment a little on some of these locales and why you chose them ?

Phoenix Dace: For one thing, the places in the story are pretty uniformly places I want to visit at some point in my life, so in some way I'm just living vicariously through my main character. On a more serious tact, these are places that make sense for the story, more or less. I try and avoid the most major cities and sort of showcase the small ones. As well, I really like varying the setting to keep it fresh and interesting. If every update happened in the same city, or a city that always seemed the same as the one before, it could get pretty boring pretty fast.

canonized: Is there an overarching political plot you think you'll be unfolding ? That is , the interconnection between all of these episodes leading up towards something major that you're waiting to spring on the reader ? Any sneak peeks ?

Phoenix Dace: Initially, when I first started writing it, I didn't have an underlying plot in mind. Now that I know what it is, I have to flesh it out much more before I start unfolding it, and even then I'll be unfolding it slowly. All I'll say about it is this: the recent interlude with Peshonov definitely has a lot to do with it.

canonized: What kind of background research have you done for the piece both in how spies worked in the time period and also of the counter-agents and places of interest at the time ?

Phoenix Dace: Well, I have to admit I haven't done as much research as I'd like to have. A lot of my style is probably borrowed from Alan Furst, who writes some excellent WWII spy fiction. I've read a few of his books and given that they feel about as historically plausible as it's possible to be on the subject, I try and borrow a lot of things from him in order to be sure of it. Other than that, I tend to rely on what I've read in books about the time period, movies set in it (even if they're not historically plausible - Indiana Jones springs to mind, and I've used it before to see how people dressed and what cars and planes were like), and the internet. Unfortunately, there's really not a lot available about espionage in the time period, and so a lot of that is guesswork and applying common sense and ideas in movies and books to the setting.

canonized: Aside from the rousing action and the audience jumping across the world with Mark , what kind of themes do you think you are underpinning overall ?

Phoenix Dace: I don't really know about themes - it always seems as if people are looking too far into stories when they look for themes. Personally, I'm just writing a story. There's probably some themes there, but they're probably not intentional.

canonized: Do you have any plans for future works ?

Phoenix Dace: Someday, I hope to bring back the AAR I mentioned a couple times that died from lack of comments. That's probably my only future plan for future works, on Paradox at least.
And, of course, I want to keep writing Services! I don't mean to say I won't keep writing once I finish Services and maybe my other one, I'm just saying I don't have any plans past that - but I'm sure they'll come up.

canonized: Well thank you again for being on the programme , PD , it was a great honour ! I’d like to thank all our readers for tuning again this week ! Next week is the December 1st issue of the AARlander and thus we’ll have our interview on there ! Next week we’ll have our resident Catalonian Kurt_Steiner on the AARlander special ! Don’t miss it !

canonized said:
Avernite: Haha , how about the idea that Toma , the twin is referring to a Thomas ? Think about what that might mean for a second XD

You can't be saying *Tom* doesn't believe in something, so it must be Taguchi. Tom has seen enough to know it's likely all for real.

Right, caught up again. Both updates and interview were of the usual quality... :)

Avernite: Yes I suppose the question will be more clear once we start delving into Thomas a bit more . We still haven't resolved what was done to him at the Patriarch facility with Dr. Sio-Pan there XD

Murmurandus: glad you caught up ! anything there you particularly wanted to comment on ? XD

thrashing mad: thank you , sir !

Mettermrck said:
These are very insightful interviews, I enjoyed learning more about Phoenix Dace...well done, canonized and congrats for the honor, PD. :)

Thank you sir ! Glad you enjoyed it !

Elorei said:
Hooray all caught up! Cute interviews by the way~ ^^

Hooray for being caught up ! And thanks XD

Nice interview from Phoenix and canonized! :)

First, Grubby's a sneeky guy. Sun Tzu would be proud. Second, Madeleine seems to embody the new rising generation of Spaniards; intelligent and capable to a fault. Not quite arrogant but dangerously close to over-confident, I think. Since the timeline (ugh, I know, bad word choice) of the story has centuries to go it seems likely Spain suffers some sort of setback at one point that slows down their march towards world conquest. Maybe this generation will see that setback. Spain is powerful but not yet unassailable; a concerted attack by her enemies could succeed in overtaxing Spain's resources and engineering a defeat of the mighty Imperial war machine. But they should probably wait until Grubby's retired before they try it. :D

VILenin said:
Nice interview from Phoenix and canonized! :)

First, Grubby's a sneeky guy. Sun Tzu would be proud. Second, Madeleine seems to embody the new rising generation of Spaniards; intelligent and capable to a fault. Not quite arrogant but dangerously close to over-confident, I think. Since the timeline (ugh, I know, bad word choice) of the story has centuries to go it seems likely Spain suffers some sort of setback at one point that slows down their march towards world conquest. Maybe this generation will see that setback. Spain is powerful but not yet unassailable; a concerted attack by her enemies could succeed in overtaxing Spain's resources and engineering a defeat of the mighty Imperial war machine. But they should probably wait until Grubby's retired before they try it. :D

Glad to have you back by the way ! And yes , Madeleine is indeed a great marker for the kind of change that's occurred between Season I and Season II as far as Spain goes . She's gotten a bit overconfident . As for General Grubby , he's still got his hands full . Outnumbered nearly 5 to 1 . Not very good odds !

History of the Woodhouse Dynasty 1570s Part 3: Semi-Finals/The Date

30 October 1575

Dear Elly,

I know I’m writing again too soon, but I can’t help it! I was able to make it to the semi-finals. I have a few scratches here and there, but I didn’t lose any of my matches. Today the tournament resumes and I’m up against the team captain…

Since Declan was eliminated so early by, he was able to observe how Sebastian fights his matches and I think I’ve got enough pointers to make it through. There also this weird masked person that ended up winning his sets… I don’t know anything about him.

I haven’t gotten any letters back from you in a while so I really hope you’re alright. Please say hi to everyone back home for me. I still have to get ready and practice a little bit. I hope to hear from you soon.

Sincerely,

Bevan Woodhouse

---​

Dear Father,

I know I haven’t written to you in a while, but I wanted to let you know that I’m doing well. I know I must have shocked you since my last letter about entering the tournament, but since I haven’t heard back from you I’m just going to assume that you’re fine with me entering it.

Here, the young woman couldn’t help but giggle in between her script.

Rest assured that I haven’t let any of the boys beat me yet. I even made it to the semi-finals. You told me a long time ago that I didn’t have to do this even though you gave me the training I needed to make it here at the Academy. I wanted to let you know, though, that I’m not giving up. You’ve raised me well, papa, and I won’t disappoint you.

I know that even though you never showed it, you were sad that mama did not have a son before she passed away and you never once blamed me or hid your love from me. You even didn’t mind ending your great legacy in the Room as “the great Lorenzo” just so that I can live a carefree life. Maybe it was your fault, papa! You made me read the life of Saint Catherine of Siena thinking that I’d be happy to live a quiet life, but her radical marriage to Christ only inspired me to give my life for the cause of our country.

I think that I am the kind of woman who will want to have children in the future so I don’t think I’ll be a nun, but I still feel called to radically serve and this is why I am here. I will definitely succeed you in the Silent Room, papa, just wait and see.

Love,

Isabella

---​

Dear Father,

I know you’re probably busy, but I wanted to send my greetings for All Saints and All Souls. I’ve been working hard and I know you’re trying your best to make sure I get the best education. There have been a lot of things that have been happening lately and I wish I could have more time to speak with you in person.

It’s not that my studies have been too hard on me; it’s just the kind of things that have been happening here. I’ve just felt very confused lately. I’d rather not write anything yet, but rest assured that I’ll find my way out of it. You trusted me with this training and I don’t want to let you down.

The semi-finals for the tournament are today and I’m against whomever this masked person is that I told you about in my last letter. It’s really making me angry that they allow this kind of thing, but I won’t complain. He defeated me once, but I won’t lose again this time. I want those watching to understand who has the right determination here to be in that room with you. I hope to see you soon for Christmas this year.

Sincerely,
Antonio

---​

Dear Miss Antonia Obidos,

I didn’t think I’d hear from you again. Childhood friends usually don’t keep too close tabs on each other like you do, but I suppose living in the Empire of the Ming for so long you end up missing familiar European company. I wanted to let you know that I received your letter from Brazil with no problems. I’m actually not at home right now–I’m at a special school, but my family was kind enough to forward it here.

I hope this letter gets across the ocean fast enough before you have to return to the Far East with your dad. I know you were born there so I suppose all this traveling between our side of the world and over there is something you must be used to by now.

Nothing much has been happening here…

Here, for a moment, the young man hesitated and turned the playful expression he had just put on into a sour one… his quill met paper again reluctantly.

As for Antonio remembering you, I wouldn’t count on it. I asked him the other day…

The lie the young man wrote slowed his fingers significantly, but he continued.

He doesn’t remember you at all. We’ve been pretty busy with lots of school work anyway. I’m afraid that because of his father’s profession, any mail heading his way probably won’t reach him, so I’m afraid I can’t do much else for you.

Anyway… I’ll wish you well on your trip back after your vacation is over there in Brazil. I hope they are treating you well over at the Ming.

Sincerely,
Sebastian Royce

---​

Bevan rounded the corner to approach where Sister Johanna would be picking up any outgoing mail. The chancery of the university was a large building with an architecture that was mostly barren and wooden with the exception of exquisite religious icons here and there—mostly in the presence of important offices. The hall Bevan was traversing down was a long one and almost labyrinthine in nature—the next corner would bring him to the nun’s station.

“Oh, excuse me,” Bevan heard from around the corner. It halted him before he could turn into the other hall.

“Oh no, it was my fault,” a young girl’s voice responded.

“No no, let me help you with that… I should have watched where I was going,” was the male voice countering.

Bevan edged his way to the corner and leaned an eye into view of the situation. He knew he had recognized the voice and his assumption was correct: Antonio was crouching on the stone floor helping one of the station clerks put letters back into a wooden container. The young girl, flustered and frantically putting some of the letters as well was obviously just coming out of the nun’s office with the mail for the day and must have bumped into the Duke’s son.

“He’s not as bad as he seems, is he?” a voice startled Bevan from behind. He swerved around and back into the safe cover of the perpendicular wall only to notice the looming and tall feminine figure at his side still peeking into the next hallway.

“Who—who—”

“You’re going to be mailing that letter, aren’t you?” the woman said quietly as she leaned back into the safe cover of the hallway and faced Bevan squarely.

The young man managed to straighten himself up as he nodded to the lady. “Yes—”

“Well then if you don’t mind, could you please put mine into the box as well?” she interrupted a second time and arresting him with an envelope being held halfway between them. Bevan could do nothing but nod and take the letter from her.

The tall woman, crowned with blond streaks that curled slightly began to walk away as soon as the envelope was passed. Bevan couldn’t help but whisper sharply at her, “what did you mean?” he asked, “that he’s not as bad as he seems? Do you know Antonio?”

The woman stopped a few paces from him and turned around with a simple smile cresting underneath sky blue eyes. “Do you believe the rumours that go around about the Duke’s son?” she asked almost in an accusing manner.

Bevan felt himself cornered at the query—was she his friend? “I don’t know what to think about that—I have no idea if he’s a playboy or not and even if he isn’t, he hangs around that Sebastian and that young man has a lot of issues. One moment he can be calm and collective but the next he can be lecherous and despotic.” After the condemnation, Bevan caught himself in the visceral nature of his gossip and diverted his eyes suddenly ashamed of his impropriety.

“I didn’t know Sebastian and Antonio knew each other at all—then again I am mostly cooped up on the girls’ side of the campus,” he heard the girl comment curiously.

“I… I’m not sure either way,” Bevan corrected himself. He didn’t want to dig a deeper hole with his gossip.

“Well then, good luck to you today, Mr. Woodhouse,” the woman said while Bevan’s eyes were diverted. He looked up at the departing figure wishing he had a word to stop her and ask how she knew him, but he was already late—the matches would begin soon.

---​

“You’re going to do fine!” Declan insisted as he handed over Bevan’s espada to him.

“Hopefully the hints you’ve given me will give me some advantage,” Bevan replied with a smile as he tested his grip on his weapon before swinging it left and right while hopping on his ankles.

“They’re also going to announce what the prize is before the match,” Declan added as he walked with Bevan onto the field. “So good luck and win it for us!”

Bevan shook his friend’s hand before stretching his neck on either side. He waited on his side of the field. He could already see the masked one and Antonio taking parallel positions from his strip. Sebastian as well assumed his position on his opposite end.

The main courtyard was surrounded by a ring of spectators and all four competitors were now facing each other and discerning possible maneuvers just from each others’ stances. The seniors of the school dominated one of the sides of the courtyard closest to Bevan. “Welcome to the semi-finals of our tournament,” one of the coordinators announced, “and today as promised we will be revealing the prize for this tournament.”

At these words, the four competitors seemed to reach a silent agreement and diverted their attention to that gap in the circle that housed a raised platform where the judges and coordinators sat. “Soon we will begin our best of three semi-finals but first, I would like to announce that the prize is what you all had been suspecting—the chance to go on a real mission.”

At this, the crowd cheered especially for their respective camps—even the masked one had a small contingent of followers. There were a few, like Declan, who chafed at the lost opportunity. A young Dutch soldier named Machiel Schenkhuizen bubbled with laughter and let himself be carried by the crowd. The transfer student from Germany, Jakob DeWitt, having the privilege to spend two semesters at the Academy at the behest of his uncle despite his medical training applauded for his good friend Antonio. There were others as well that rooted for one of the four.

When the crowd settled, another one of the coordinators stepped forward. “This mission will involve being paired with an exchange student from another Scarlet Academy campus from France.” This brought intrigued quirks on the crowd’s brows. “Furthermore,” he added, “at the Christmas ball, the winner of the tournament will have the privilege of being her date.”

Silence assumed the field and confusion increased in a wellspring of unsaid contortions of everyone’s faces. The coordinator stepped aside and from a staircase ascended a beautiful young lady to the very top holding a red rose in her hand. Her eyes, almost like a purple haze radiating a glamorous glimmer focused and condescended on the one pair of eyes in the audience that was shocked the most: yes, he recognized her.

“Elly!” Bevan called out as the lone voice in the middle of the field. The bells of the tower, however, began to let out a furious tintinnabulation: it was the signal for the match to begin.

Next Bonus Chapter: Adolescence Apocalypse (Finale)

Last edited:
:eek:

I am too confused for more comments, but...

How in the world did Grubby end up there? I always thought he was mostly 'just a general' unlike, say, Renault or Antonio who truely were into this timepieces stuff.

Nooo distraction! Can Mr. Woodhouse fight on and not get carried away?!

Haha and I love the name of the next chapter! It promises to be climactic!

haha I knew it was Isabella! :D

Good update once more. Now mr. Woodhouse just has to win

Grubnessul said:
haha I knew it was Isabella! :D

ROFL I got it first! :p

Now all we need to do is fast forward to next monday..

EDIT - 1000 posts! :D

Eeeeexcellent.
This is shaping up nicely to have confusion and carnage, with some of the difficulties and conflicts of the following generation being set up nicely.

Can't entirely figure out who will win; or in fact who should win; or even who I want to win. This makes it all the more interesting.

One quick anachronism note...use of the word date. I don't entirely know what should replace it (paramour? chaperone? consort? escort? honestly don't know) but I'm pretty sure date is a recent word, and it nagged at me when I read it.