• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Another great update. Did I miss something somewhere, or does Rodrigo understand the "Janus" reference?

Also, I meant to ask this before, where did you come up with the idea for the "Lions of Meissan"?

grayghost said:
Another great update. Did I miss something somewhere, or does Rodrigo understand the "Janus" reference?

Also, I meant to ask this before, where did you come up with the idea for the "Lions of Meissan"?

I'm glad you asked !! the Janus reference ahh yes Haha . He may or may not know , but I had not overlooked it . I intentionally made it a mystery as to how Rodrigo knows about the name of Janus or why he reacted the way he did . There might be several possibilities . One being that since he's a Jimenes (remember that as with Ximenes Ximenez and Jimenez the name has had different transliteration through the centuries) he might know . The previous chapter spoke of him learning something from his father (who is a Duke) beforehand . You'll just have to tune in for the next update to find out more about Rodrigo's relationship with the Janus name !

As for the Lions of Meissen , I can't say I got the idea from anywhere , really . I mean , When I asked my friend (the real James DeWitt aka Panzerkardinal on the board) if he wanted the Cardinal to come from a specific location he said near Leibniz, Germany and Meissen was the province on the EUIII map that I thought of when he said that . I looked up the coat of arms and they had a Lion on it for the Counts of Meissen so that's how i used the Lion imagery . Aside from why I wanted to create an organization for it , just seemed like a good plot device , i suppose ! haha

Works for me. I like it. ;)

another wonderful update!

*“I’m the wolf that’s come to eat you,” came the cold reply. It was followed by the hiccup of a cut line.*

spooky :eek:

this AAR is getting better all the time!

kleomenes said:
another wonderful update!

*“I’m the wolf that’s come to eat you,” came the cold reply. It was followed by the hiccup of a cut line.*

spooky :eek:

this AAR is getting better all the time!

Thanks ! I'm very flattered that it's getting better ! I've been listening a lot to different suggestions from readers so I hope to make this AAR the best I can for all those story-reading ReadAARs out there ! Thanks again !

Amazing update! I really love the wolf references, but the first scene was definitely the best.

I don't know why but I just love this line: "The wolves were coming."

Great job.

Eber said:
Amazing update! I really love the wolf references, but the first scene was definitely the best.

I don't know why but I just love this line: "The wolves were coming."

Great job.

Thanks ^^ oh and I wanted to take this opportunity to remind everyone that you'll be our guest this week for "You've Been Canonized" the weekly interview segment this coming Saturday ! I hope everyone tunes in for that !

Nice update. Speaking of the BRIC countries that are mentioned in this, you should all be loading up on Caterpillar's stock (CAT) because of it's high exposure to the growth in Brazil/Russia/India/China

Lotus-6 said:
Nice update. Speaking of the BRIC countries that are mentioned in this, you should all be loading up on Caterpillar's stock (CAT) because of it's high exposure to the growth in Brazil/Russia/India/China

Haha thanks for noticing the BRIC . I'll be honest , didn't expect someone would ... give stock tips at the same time in a comment haha ! I hope you enjoy more of the updates to come !

Ahh thanks for the comments guys , but I suppose you two are a bit new to the forums haha . You probably shouldn't bump someone's post on the AAR threads like you would on the regular game threads with comments but I'm flattered nonetheless . :eek:o

Comments , aside from the generous support I've been given , I usually look at to read about which parts of the story people like or dislike so that I can adjust accordingly .

Update: i'm afraid i've been very sick the past few days so the next chapter is going to have to be pushed back a few hours if not tomorrow depending on how well I feel =( I caught a cold so I'm trying to get over that and getting everything else under way . I'll have an update in a few hours and still keep within the 2 day schedule for the next one as well .

Canonized, brilliant work mate, and thank you!

Just finished reading on what I've missed in the last few weeks that I've been away from these forums and I find myself ever so intrigued about what's going to happen next.

Renault's fight with all the different incarnations of death, deep undergound, at Mecca has been the most entertaining to me and satisfying as well, basically because of your amazing ability to paint beautifully described, with only words, pictures (moving pictures).

Having read your 'game notes', I'm glad to notice that I was able to see most of the game moves that you have made. Admittedly, seeing doesn't mean understanding why you made those moves, but now I've read your notes I understand more of what is going on.

Jacob seems to maintain an incredible level of discipline, which most probably is explained perfectly well by his abilities as a surgeon and a sharpshooter, and has propelled to one of my most favourite characters in the story at the moment.

Keep up the excellent work and I'm eager to read more! Oh and get well soon! :)

Petros said:
Canonized, brilliant work mate, and thank you!

Just finished reading on what I've missed in the last few weeks that I've been away from these forums and I find myself ever so intrigued about what's going to happen next.

Renault's fight with all the different incarnations of death, deep undergound, at Mecca has been the most entertaining to me and satisfying as well, basically because of your amazing ability to paint beautifully described, with only words, pictures (moving pictures).

Having read your 'game notes', I'm glad to notice that I was able to see most of the game moves that you have made. Admittedly, seeing doesn't mean understanding why you made those moves, but now I've read your notes I understand more of what is going on.

Jacob seems to maintain an incredible level of discipline, which most probably is explained perfectly well by his abilities as a surgeon and a sharpshooter, and has propelled to one of my most favourite characters in the story at the moment.

Keep up the excellent work and I'm eager to read more! Oh and get well soon! :)

Thank you so much for your kind comments , Petros . It really gives a writer great encouragement to have his work so finely captured by the audience so thank you very very much .

I've awakened from my long sleep due to my illness but now I'm ready to write again and the next chapter will be here in a few hours . I also do not plan on taking an off day tomorrow since I want to keep consistent with my updates and thus i will be posting another update tomorrow as well (as far as health permits)

I am getting better so thank you to all who have sent me kind PMs for my health and for your concern here Petros . I'll get the next chapter in before long !

chapter17tile.gif

Chapter XVII: Of Wolves and Lions​

October 28, 1582

Renault took a second to check behind him before turning back to the mob that had quickly formed in front of him. He had taken the time to formulate some kind of escape. The room itself was a rather large rectangular structure probably near the very heart of the large labyrinth beneath that city of Mecca. There were four corridors on each of the longer sides but only single corridors at the narrower walls. He could still hear the loud bang of strange gunshots from one of the many corridors on his right.

He deduced that their barracks must be in one of the left corridors since that was where the majority of reinforcements were beginning to pour in. The only choices he had left were either to break through the mob and head to the corridor on the narrow end ahead of him or to the unattended corridor directly behind him, but which way would lead him to the Timepiece?

As the screams followed the unruly cracks of metal against flesh, more of the maze’s inhabitants seemed to be rushing to the corridors to the right to be met only with a single flash of light before their existence was epilogued by a sanguinary scream.

Renault breathed heavily although he could not hear it. His ears were deafened by the staccato brewing elsewhere in that labyrinth as it slowly approached that central room. Gunpowder and burnt flesh seemed to seep into the chamber and overtake the once earthy musk of the bosom of the dirt.

As he slowly backed away, Renault still held onto his rosary, carefully smoothing one side of a bead with his thumb. The repetitive movement reminded him that despite the chafing atmosphere of the dust filled chamber, there was always an underlying softness. The bead was a reminder of the peace and abandon that his Faith provided him. He would live or die attempting to do what was good, he thought, and there was no greater courage for a man than when he must protect those he loves, even at the cost of his life.

Amongst all his other senses that brought about different sensations and different feelings, it was his eyesight that was most keen at that very moment. His pupils studiously followed the movements of the guards cautiously approaching him and at times he would gaze upon the reddened face of the deep voiced adversary. His initial blow with his forehead had gashed the other’s brow into a reluctant outlet for blood.

Despite the tense movement of the guards, he could sense their apprehension at the danger their comrades were facing behind them at the other doorways. There would be terse reports coming in from various couriers to the central room indicating the progress of strange looking men approaching the chamber.

Even in the locking of eyes, the poor guardian of the labyrinth faltered and betrayed himself. For a second, Renault noticed, the eyes of the guardian wandered to look over Renault’s shoulder. He was worried about the unprotected corridor.

With that knowledge in mind, Renault had the advantage, and now, as the spears approached him, he would wait for his chance.

The chance Renault was waiting for came in a familiar form. From one of the corridors, a plume of fire entered the main chamber and several of the guardsmen screamed out in terror as their bodies were consumed by the flames prompting all present to turn their heads at the sight. How could this be, they thought, the intruder had already destroyed their Mithra machine earlier!

From that smoked filled corridor piqued with blackness, a figure entered the main chamber. Holding a mechanism which only slightly resembled the pump they had used against Renault to blow naptha, this man seemed to perform the same trick of science by himself with no aid of slaves. There was no face to this man, merely a mask of what seemed like hardened steel and eyes which glowed a shade of sky when the sun set. Similar looking men seemed to file into the room behind this apparition of black. The myriad host of those guardians held around the penetrated corridor like a crescent facing a rising star.

Renault had not stayed long enough to witness the entrance of these wolves among men but had run towards the rear corridor as soon as the others’ heads were turned. In his flight, he saw nothing ahead of him but a faint glow of light hidden behind a bend and curve. Following these movements he stopped himself at last at the final room of that city underneath a city.

It was a simple structure he entered; it was a square like room with four exits—one of which he just entered from. In the center, however, was a raised dais. Quickly climbing the short staircase and stopping in front of the structure he noticed the intense glow of light emanating from a large square opening from above. It felt like sunlight, even off the reflection of the stone slab in front of him.

But the object of his gaze was not the impressive structure, but a perpetual darkness scattered across the table. Fragments hard and rugged decorated the mesa top and seemed to seethe against the intruding light by emphasizing their dark nature. In the center of these many pieces was the largest slab measuring perhaps the length of Renault’s forearm and had been cut, perhaps by the procurers of the meteorite, into a stone block of equal length width and height.

Renault’s hand passed to the center of these items and gently touched the smoothened sides of that black box. In time, he thought, this item would be encased in the familiar gold encrusted container with the symbol of the Holy Roman Emperor. But now, this ancient artifact would have to make it safely back to Madrid.

Before picking up that black square, he looked around himself making sure that no final booby traps would catch him off guard. He wasn’t sure what to expect next, perhaps a huge ball of rock chasing him down a tunnel? A gallery of snakes? He shook his head and almost laughed to himself as he surveyed the area—he’d been through worse than what he imagined.

Around him was nothing but the bareness of the room. Four tall poles as tall as the dais were raised at the corners of the structure sporting candles at the top end—no doubt, perhaps, to illuminate the artifacts when the diverted sunlight from above faded into moonlight. Indeed, he looked up at that strange source of radiance. Mirrors, he thought?

Satisfied with his deduction and eager to take his chances with one of the corridors, he lifted the item carefully from the table. The weight of the item itself was not particularly heavy at all and it carried like his long forgotten pack. Despite that, as soon as the item was lifted from the tabletop, a low rumbling was heard. Not again…

It was not water, this time, nor was it the opening of a gate to a fake fire deity. No, he had gone through the tests of water and fire, it was time for earth. The corridor leading back to the main room shut closed behind him and from the three exits remaining; a substance began to pour in quickly—quicksand.

Parts of the roof suddenly burst open and fell down upon the ascending moving earth and poured forth their own contribution of that deadly material; it rained down in several holes: that light brown effluvia of the desert.

As the mounds of moist dirt gently approached, Renault had very little time to formulate a plan, but unlike most individuals who would panic at the sight of such a certain doom, he understood this kind of dirt very well. Pulling the four candle poles up from the ascending sea of quicksand, he hurriedly placed himself and the four poles atop the highest point on the dais clearing away some of the other meteorite fragments. Taking off his overcoat, he wrapped the leather as best he could to join the four wooden poles together at the center allowing them freedom to fan out on either end.

The murky depth of the incoming dirt was now at the level of the dais and he situated himself on top of the center of that contraption and gazed uneasily at the last remaining exit above him: the source of the sunlight.

As the edged of the poles felt the upsurge of the sand, the thickness of the rising danger pushed all those wooden planks upward with it. Carefully holding the Timepiece with one hand and holding steady the poles underneath him, Renault allowed himself to float above the surface of the coming tide.

He would laugh to himself months after this incident, he thought. He remembered on many of his archeological trips to the Levant and Alexandria where he traversed desert landscape with a pole in hand, wary of those areas where the sand was not as firm as it seemed. Of course, he usually had Amin or Kit to pull him out afterwards, but at least those adventures and near death experiences were not put to waste.

Particles of dirt sloshed up against his sides, his legs, his arms and underneath him between the poles but he kept his sight towards the direct sunlight above him. He would turn away at times in the intensity but he ascended surely and the precious object held tightly with his arm.

At the height of the room, Renault did indeed notice a mirror held in a slight angle through the opening above. Reaching out carefully with one arm, he balanced his back on the poles while attempting to reach the edge of the square above him. If it worked as he had deduced, he would find a small corridor allowing light to pass from mirror to mirror until it lead to the outside world.

His fingers unintentionally chafed against the abrasive stone at the peak as his body continued to go nearer and nearer the ceiling and the room below him reduced to nothing but a gurgling mass of sand, water, and dirt. Finally his nails and fingertips found the open edge of the corridor where the mirror was facing. Pulling as hard as he could with only one arm he heaved his whole body off of the contraption and placed the square block artifact onto the crevice. With one more heave he raised his whole body into the light tunnel nearly blinding himself from the illumination coming from the next mirror in the relay.

Quickly picking up his prize and running towards the second mirror in the relay to the top, he swiftly began his ascent to freedom.

---​

Oedo, 2nd generation family head of that boryokudan only a few miles from Osaka, faced the end of the hall by himself. There were no girls to entertain him, no guards to protect him. They had all either fled or been killed by the intruders he was given to murder. It was supposed to be a simple deal, he thought, get rid of a political enemy and the emerging shogunate would turn a blind eye to operations around the border. Smuggling with the Spanish black market was, after all, very profitable.

But the man was ruined, and he consoled himself by a sip of sake from a vessel the size of a scallop shell. Despite the decorum, one could see his hand shake. A criminal does not think of death as nobly as a samurai. A criminal makes sacrifices in order to gain something. The worst death for a criminal—this criminal—was to see all of his sacrifices come to nothing.

The perverted whispers of his girls were now replaced by the cleansing sound of a million tongues of flame kissing his compound. If he closed his eyes and avoided the light coming from the balcony to his right, he would have probably thought it was the sound of rain baptizing him and removing his sins. But no, this criminal was not as fortunate to be given the gift of repentance.

His door slid open and he saw the approaching figure of a foreign samurai. He was followed by a foreign woman who seemed more distracted by the fact that she had blood stained on her garments. The third who entered was a young man with a blue tunic holding a rifle in one hand and a pistol in the other wearing a crest of a strange creature on his arm; it seemed like a hairy dragon, Oedo thought. There was a fourth, he had perceived, but if there was, that last one remained in the shadows to the rear of the opened door.

“Oedo, I have come to take you under Spanish custody for your crimes against the people of this village,” came the awkward Japanese from the foreign samurai. Oedo took another sip of his sake as he listened.

“You have no jurisdiction here,” the boss replied, “go home!”

The fake arrogance of the man seemed to make the girl amongst them laugh. Oedo hid the dismay on his face with another sip from his cup.

There was no further reply from the group. Instead, they all seemed to approach him. Oedo quickly took out his sword and stood to his feet. Drawing that blade he pointed it squarely at the lead person and a crazed look erupted on his face.

“Get back!” he screamed.

Despite Oedo’s cry, it was the figure that stepped inside from the balcony that caught the group’s attention. It was a man wrapped in tight clothes fitted for movement in stealth. He wore the same colour as the night darkness and let it veil his mouth and nose. His eyes were like an owl’s but widened not just by extreme perception but also from a blood thirst.

There was no exchange of words; the rigid posture of both parties seemed to indicate the nature of the meeting. The only response was for the foreign samurai to draw his katana once again. Simultaneously, in that clever moonlight, one may have noticed a glint of steel in between the girl’s hands as she held the umbrella—perhaps a hidden blade in the shaft of the parasol?

As the shadowy figure moved towards the crazed Oedo, his eyes seemed to glimmer a red glow as they postured from one person to the other. It was then that Oedo attempted to make his escape. Running towards the balcony and leaping off, he landed safely on the ground amongst the dead bodies of his men below. The others in that room did not move. If one had better eyes in the dark, they may have seen that person who stayed behind outside of the door quickly move towards the exit. Oedo would not get far.

For those remaining in the main room of the once rich Oedo, there were only exchanged glances. The veiled figure slinked his own sword from behind him, but unlike the curved edge blade of the foreign samurai’s katana, this was a straighter blade with two edges. It raised some brows in the room—it was a Chinese Jian.

“Who are you,” asked the foreign samurai at the front, “and who do you work for?”

The only response to that stern question was a wheezing laugh. It was the kind of sound one would hear if an ill man was drowning from liquid in his lungs.

“Allow me, Don Antonio,” the boy in the rear asked. Without taking their eyes off that strange opponent, the lady and gentleman stepped back and the young man came forward.

“I am Doctor Jakob DeWitt of the Lions of Meissen,” proudly proclaimed the young man as he tugged on his pocket and lowered his rifle to the ground. He donned what appeared to be a chain mail glove on his left hand as he held his pistol with his right. Perhaps the glove was a weapon for when his pistol failed?

There was no response from the opponent to the introduction; instead, there was merely a widening of those owl like eyes. One could have seen the tugging on the cloth covering the face of that nameless one, a terrible smile was brewing.

With no response, Jakob raised his pistol to aim squarely at his opponent. There was no movement afterwards. With only his pistol, Jakob had one shot. From the range in that long room, it meant that firing too early would certainly mean failure. He refused to underestimate his opponent. He would wait until he moved closer.

It was an understanding both shared. The veiled figure watched carefully for signs of weakness in his opponent. He knew that if he could foolishly bring his opponent to prematurely discharge his weapon, not even that mail glove could stop the edge of his Jian. That Lion, as he called himself, would die and so would his foolish friends.

There was a moment when everyone seemed to hold their breath simultaneously. It was like when one knows a blow is about to happen, they brace themselves. It was at that time that the masked opponent grabbed a triptych from the side of the room and hid behind it. Pushing forward, the rammed himself towards Jakob his shadowy figure only barely visible behind the painting as it rushed towards the young man.

Jakob made careful aim towards the head of the shadow and discharged his weapon. The painting burst into a gaping hole and came to a wafting halt in the middle of the room. The sound of the bullet was greeted by another wheezing laugh. The clever veiled man had used the candlelight to project his shadow onto the back of the painting which he threw forward. In fact, he had stayed near the rear of the room and pretended to run towards Jakob. Jakob’s single shot was used.

Cutting short his celebration, the clever assassin now leaped forward and began running with blade in hand towards the stoic looking Jakob. He saw the young man bring up his chain mail hand, but the assassin would strike elsewhere. He knew he could eventually hit the young man somewhere nice, such as in between his rib cage. He was savoring the taste of the boy’s organs hemorrhaging to his blade already.

The woman seemed to step forward but was quickly held back by Don Antonio with a stern yet comfortable arm. They would watch Jakob handle this himself. Antonio brought himself and her back further near a pillar to the rear of the room.

As his enemy approached, Jakob watched that blade glimmer in the moonlight as it approached to take his head off his neck. He raised his mailed hand upward in preparation to block the blade; his stern face focused on the enemy ahead of him.

There was a wheezing laughter as the assassin approached, but suddenly Jakob shook his head and took off his glove. Throwing it adroitly at his opponent, the assassin scoffed at the idiotic attempt to stop him. His blade quickly moved to strike the object out of his path. Sparks emanated from the contact of the metal blade against the abrasive chain as he sliced downward. He kept both eyes on the incoming object as well as his opponent. What a coward, the assassin thought, he’s ducking behind a pillar!

Before he could readjust himself to follow, the sparks he created ignited the cache of gunpowder and chemicals Jakob hid inside his glove. The massive explosion seemed to suck in the air as the chain mail burst apart into jagged crescents which found ample lodging through the clothing of the assassin and into his flesh with explosive force. The three other participants were safely behind pillars which captured the links that shot their way.

Aside from blowing the Jian away with explosive speed towards the balcony, it also crushed the man’s hands into his chest and ignited his clothes which burnt quickly into dark ash. If the explosion did not kill him, the shrapnel lodged into his body would bleed him to death. The wolf-man would terrorize no one ever again.

---​

January 11, 1583

Cardinal DeWitt gave a boisterous embrace to his pupil amidst the private, muffled fanfare of the Lion’s Headquarters in Madrid. Naturally, the general public would never know of Renault’s recovery of the Timepiece, but at least his friends and benefactor could celebrate properly within these halls.

“Well done, Renault, you’ve far exceeded our expectations on this assignment,” was the praise the Cardinal gave to the rugged man next to him.

“Thank you, Your Eminence, I’m glad I could have been of service to Emperor and Pope,” was the humble reply.

All around them was the gleeful cheers of their comrades indulging in the best imported beverages of their patron’s country—all to the highest compliance to the Reinheitsgebot, of course. Cardinal DeWitt’s vast collection of beverages was now the benefit of his friends ever since he himself began to moderate his consumption.

In that Lion’s hall it was a stark difference from the Palacio Real. There were no gold gilded chairs or velvet upholstery here. At the same time, it was not the stifling murky atmosphere of the Silent Room. Indeed, this chamber was made of simple stone and wood with the various standards of Lions hanging along the walls. A crucifix hanged above the standard of the House of Habsburg which reminded all in that chamber for what purpose they celebrated—and at what priority.

In the middle of the room was a generous table made for the various men to sit. It was here that the party was being held. As is the tradition amongst these noble knights, every time a party was held, a different orphanage or charitable organization was invited to partake in the celebration. Although this made it unpopular with some of the more high brow aristocrats of the city, it did attract a good bit of people. For them, all they knew of the Lions were that they were a charitable social organization supported by the Church.

Walking towards a balcony, the Cardinal had taken aside the hero of the celebration.

“I wanted to tell you Renault,” began the prelate, “that aside from my nephew, you have made me the most proud, and I wanted to thank you for your kind dedication.”

Renault seemed to chafe slightly at the praise, a bit embarrassed, and nodded modestly with a smile.

“If there is anything you would like to ask, I will grant it,” was the almost exaggerating announcement of Cardinal DeWitt. He knew full well that with both timepieces in secure possession, there will finally be an era of peace.

“No, Your Eminence, I’m well taken care of already.”

At that, both smiled and looked out past the balcony to the busy streets of an emerging World City.

“Though…” Renault suddenly began bringing his head down.

Cardinal DeWitt quickly turned to his companion eager to shower reward upon reward for securing the world from imminent danger.

Renault seemed to take a grim tone, however, and he turned candidly to his benefactor and straightening himself up.

“I have been thinking about the recent colonial expansion in the West of the Americas… Being so far away from Madrid I have heard disturbing reports about the treatment of the native populations there…”

Cardinal DeWitt watched him closely and his smile began to straighten into a concerned understanding.

“That is not to say, Your Eminence,” quickly added Renault, “that you have been neglectful of it! With the war with Persia and the priority of retrieving the Timepiece I under—”

“No no,” the Cardinal interrupted with a gentle smile putting a robust arm around his thinner friend, “I understand what you mean. Ever since the beginning of the exploration of the Americas most of us in the clergy have been keenly aware that the secular masters and governors have been exploiting the local populations. The Society of Jesus who we’ve sent to the Americas especially has reported on the cruel ways that their Portuguese or Spanish overlords have treated them in the past…”

For a moment, the prelate paused and looked back into the hall from the balcony at the great enthusiasm by his fellow Lions. Renault could only watch that taller man. He thought he sensed a little flushness in the Cardinal’s face… it must just be the sun reflecting red off of the Cardinal’s vestments, he said to himself.

“Even with the Portuguese annexed, there are still pockets of mistreatment. And sometimes the local bishops are so corrupt they let it happen for their own gain. But the Pope has been very adamant about the treatment of the local populations and hence why our country has purposefully never attempted to eradicate whole populations unlike our other colonial rivals…”

The robust arm now lifted its weight off of Renault, although it seemed that his shoulders were heavier now than they were just a moment ago as he listened to his friend.

“I mean even if one was not to listen to His Holiness, those secular authorities surely should have thought of the advantages of converting the Pagans instead of burning their cities…” the Cardinal added, seeming to turn away almost more so talking to himself now. The lament the Cardinal had for the treatment of the natives seemed to make him a bit vulnerable.

There was a moment pause and Renault allowed it to pass with the Cardinal turned away from him.

“Well,” the Cardinal finally said turning back to his friend, “now with the Timepieces secure, we can turn our attention and resources to assuaging the situation. I have a few openings to help in the West, would you like to go?”

Renault smiled graciously and solemnly, “of course, Your Eminence.”

Cardinal DeWitt called out to one of his pages and they approached bowing deeply to the two in his presence. After a small exchange the Cardinal handed Renault a piece of parchment.

“You’ll be investigating this merchant guild near the port of Los Angeles. Your local contact’s name is listed there as well as how to contact her. She’ll be your partner.”

“Her?” Renault curiously asked raising a brow.

“Yes, her, is something wrong, Renault?”

He quickly shook his head, “Oh no, I’m just not used to working with women, it’s a surprise.”

The Cardinal gave another generous laugh before looking to his page asking him, “Right now, where in the world is Carmen?”

“San Diego,” his page replied and the Cardinal nodded.

“You’ll meet up with her there before heading north to Los Angeles, understood?”

“Yes, sir”

With that, the Cardinal and his page returned to the party leaving Renault to contemplate the parchment for a moment. The Schwarzschild Guild, it said at the top.

interlude2.gif

Interlude​

On the plane, Father Francis seemed to jostle the bullet he recovered from the floor of that corridor in Mecca inside a handkerchief. He looked at the edges carefully and reconfirmed the various markings he was familiar with.

“How is this possible,” he asked himself again as he noticed the frame of that spent round with a careful eye. He took the nearby magnifying glass to aid him in his investigation.

“So you’re sure this is the real thing,” asked the Duke suddenly from across the aisle on the couch.

“Yes, I’m very sure,” replied the priest his eyes remaining on that artifact.

“Records indicated that when the archeologist was engaged with the various guardians of the underground, they were overrun by men using guns he’d never heard the sound of before,” the Duke added taking a gentle sip from his glass.

Father Francis continued to study the crushed bullet with the magnifying glass.

“Strange…” the priest suddenly said, “there are markings which I don’t recognize on this…”

The Duke watched him carefully as he brought the object closer to the glass. “‘S Ind.,’ it says…India Sur, perhaps?”

Duke Jimenes seemed to ponder the meaning of those words for a moment but eventually sat back in his sofa. It would be four hours until they arrive back in Madrid, enough time to think about what this could mean.

--

“Who was it, Rodrigo? Was it your father?” Tom continued to ask.

Rodrigo had held the phone near his ear for a good while after the death tone of the cut line was received. He slowly placed it back on the receiver before saying, “No… it was nothing… don’t worry about it.”

“What do you mean it was nothing? They filter the lines that go through here so it’s gotta be—”

“Don’t worry about it, Tom. It was just… It was just one of the guards checking up if we’re alright. I just couldn’t hear him very well…”

Rodrigo immediately walked away from the telephone, his face had not seemed to change from that strange cold expression after having picked up the phone. Tom was perplexed and there was a strange lump inside his throat as he watched his friend move towards the beach view sliding door once more.

“What was the name of the Captain in charge here again?” Rodrigo asked without facing back to his friend.

“Captain DeWitt, I think,” Tom replied after a second. With that, Rodrigo nodded and left out of the sliding door.

When Rodrigo exited his view, Tom glanced back at the phone. Curiosity seemed to overtake him as he picked up the head set. What was he thinking? It’s not like it would be as simple as—well, he decided to try it anyway. *69 was dialed on the telephone.

There were a few rings and Tom seemed to clench the head set close to his ear. After a while, he heard the soft tap of a line picked up.

“Schwarzschild Industries Telecom router, how may I direct your call?”

Chapter XVIII: Schwarzschild (coming soon)

Last edited:
canonizedeber.png

You’ve Been Canonized: Eber!​

Good evening everyone and welcome once again to our weekly interview segment here! For those of you first tuning in, I’m your host, Canonized, author of Timelines: What if Spain Failed to Control the World? Today we’ll be interviewing another WritAAR of the Week and patron Eber author of Scotland: A Far Cry from Bannockburn. Since he is one of the many Writer patrons, we’ll be asking him a few questions about himself, his involvement with our thread here at Timelines and of course, about his AAR.

Part I: About the Author
Here, we’ll be asking Eber a few things about himself as a writer here on the AAR forums .

Canonized: When did you join the AAR community ?

Eber: I joined way back in September of 2003 when I bought CK and decided to write an AAR after seeing a few others.

Canonized: After Crusader Kings you've obviously purchased Europa Universalis III , what other Paradox games have you purchased since then ?

Eber: I love Paradox. In my opinion, they have the best support of any game company so I try to support them myself by buying their games. I have bought Europa Universalis II, Hearts of Iron I, Victoria, and Crown of the North

Canonized: What brought you to start writing AARs , first for CK and now for EUIII ?

Eber: Well I have always had a special place for writing in my every day life. Because of writing, I decided to attend University of Iowa just so I could receive a creative writing degree from there. After seeing some great AARs, I realized the best way to combine my two loves of history and writing would be to write one myself.

Canonized: Especially for your current AAR about Scotland, where would you say your inspiration for your writing draws from ?

Eber: Well for my Scottish AAR, my main inspiration comes from Michael R. Phillips's Scottish novels. He's a great writer who shows a truly amazing side to Scotland's struggle through history. I also have gained inspiration from many of my military studies especially when it came to English medieval battles.

Canonized: So tell us a little about the name that you use "Eber" . I know you've told me before that some people confuse you with the film critic , but what's the story behind your name ?

Eber: Well the story behind Eber is quite interesting. Eber is a person from the Hebrew Bible. He was the great grandson of Noah's son Shem. Eber disagreed with the building of the Tower of Babel and refused to help. Because of this, when the Tower of Babel fell his language was not confused. He and his family were the only ones to retain the original human language which would later be known as hebrew named after Eber.

Canonized: What would you say is your biggest challenge as an Author of AARs ?

Eber: I think the biggest challenge for any author is to relate the information you want as easily and enjoyable as possible. I love writing but I also want my readers to love my writing too. I get a great sense of pride when a reader comes away from my writing feeling satisfied and not as though they wasted their time.

Canonized: I know that you and I for example like to write AARs in a narrative format . Obviously you have your share of screenshots , but the magic of your texts seem to come from your storytelling especially in a lore like way . Why did you decide to write in the narrative style as opposed to the more popular styles of fast paced screenshots and play by play recounting ?

Eber: The main reason is that I honestly believe that a narrative style brings to life the atmosphere and world Paradox tries to create with their games. It gives a face to the individual monarchs, advisors and soldiers implemented to the game. However, I also decided to write in the narrative style to practice my writing. Practice makes perfect as they say.

Part II: ReadAAR
Next, we’ll see Eber’s thoughts on Timelines

Canonized: With your thoughts on narrative AARs in mind , what are your thoughts on the narrative style of Timelines ?

Eber: I absolutely adore the narrative style of Timelines. Most narrative AARs, including mine usually stick to the historical facts of a certain country without jumping off course with another plot. However with Timelines you have done just that. Including supernatural elements as well as an interesting plot makes readers want more. Not only has Timelines given readers historical growth of Spain but a fascinating subplot as well. That is rather rare in AARland.

Canonized: I'm flattered , truly ! In the journey of the AAR , the audience and myself have gone through different places; Southern France , Japan , Mecca , England , and others . Where was your favourite place to visit with us ?

Eber: I found Mecca the most interesting. I love the thought that you put into the details of the city including the elaborate tunnels. Mecca is not a city I'm familiar with so it is exciting to read and learn new things even if they are not completely accurate.

Canonized: Is there a place you'd like to see the story go to from here ?

Eber: Though by this time the Aztecs and Mayans have been annexed by Spain, I would still love to see the story go there. The Aztecs and Mayans have always been fascinating to me and misunderstood to most people. It would be interesting to see these ancient people living under Spanish rule and how they live.

Canonized: That's an excellent suggestion ! I think I may just have to work that in . As for the characters we've met , I know that you share this experience with me in that in such a long scope of a country's partial history , characters must die . How do you feel about how the Timelines characters are portrayed and handled ?

Eber: I think Timelines portrays the character as humanely possible. Many AARs fail to really give emotion and human instincts to characters so often times they are shells with no personality. Timelines has done an excellent job where so many have failed. Readers can connect to many of the characters especially Renault.

Canonized: Timelines is not just long in history , but you also mentioned that it's a relatively long read . Would you have any advice for those individuals who may be interested but are intimidated by heavy narrative AARs or are just simply too used to the screenshot/commentary style that is easier to read ?

Eber: I always found that any AAR that has attracted quite a number of readers is worth taking a look at no matter how long it may take to catch up. Obviously there is something that has caught other reader's attention, maybe you'll find something too. Timelines is a long read so I would copy and print off each chapter. That way you can go to it when you want without the hassle of a computer screen or scrolling the mouse. A great story should be read when perfectly comfortable.

Canonized: I've been asking everyone lately , but what do you think the Timepiece is ?

Eber: Well I know the Timepiece is important and magical in some regard. My best guess is that it was an artifact from the creation of the world. Though I can not say what its importance is to humankind.

Part III: A Voice of Scotland
Lastly, we’ll be looking for some thoughts and sneak peaks about Eber’s Scotland AAR!

Canonized: The first thing that struck me when I first began to read your AAR was the believable flow of the Scottish accented dialogue . In fact , the entire story itself is structured in a very Scottish feeling way . How did you prepare and recreate such involving atmosphere and dialogue ?

Eber: The great thing about doing a Scottish AAR is that you can easily implement the accent without effecting the flow or understanding of the language. You can't really do that with a Russian AAR for an example. My only preparation was looking through a Scottish Dialect book that I picked up from the library and writing down translations for common words. I'm actually basically learning a dialect with writing this AAR. It's quite fun to do.

Canonized: Speaking of fun , your characters have a lot of breadth and depth especially in the distinctly Scottish humour they possess . Was the fun side of your AAR an intentional device on your part or did it just come naturally from writing about such characters ?

Eber: It just came naturally. If I write about a character, I want to be able to give them a voice, but one that is believable. Humor is just one human aspect that I try to convey in characters.

Canonized: As far as characters go , currently in your AAR , your King Arthur has reached almost a legendary status for his victories against the English . What are your thoughts on this central character of yours ?

Eber: Well I wasn't expecting to get so lucky to get a king named Arthur as Scotland. However I did so I decided to milk it for all its worth. Most of us have heard about King Arthur and his Knights of the Round Table and I wanted to use that inspiration and mystique to show the greatness of the Scottish King as he battles for his country's legacy.

Canonized: And the battles , indeed , are spectacular . Despite the sameness of most EUIII battles you have masterfully crafted unique situations and explanations for each battle . Was this a hard process to plan and write ?

Eber: A terribly hard process. It's one thing to read countless battle situations but it's quite another thing to write one. If you're not careful you can give too much information at one time or worse, not enough. During a battle so many things occur that it is extremely difficult to describe. I just take it slowly by outlining what I want to accomplish with describing the battle before writing it. I still have a lot to learn about writing battle scenes.

Canonized: Unlike the usual style where a screenshot is presented and then a commentary is given , you like to surprise your readers by setting up the situation first then connecting it back to the game with a screenshot giving that wonderful "oh wow , so that's what it was like in the game" feeling . Was this intentional ?

Eber: Yes, I have done that technique since the beginning even with my CK AAR. With a narrative style if you present the screenshot first then the reader already knows what the following story will be about. I think it's best by keeping the reader on its toes.

Canonized: Now that England seems to be out of the way , would you like to give your fans any previews on the coming glory of Scotland , where she'll go off to , what dangers she'll face ?

Eber: Well there is still quite a lot of work left for Scotland when it comes to England. Also there are those Scandinavian lands that might entice a Scottish king to increase his holdings. Readers will just have to wait and see where Arthur and his Scots face next.

Canonized: And lastly , what would be your future AAR plans ?

Eber: I'm the type of person to take each day one at a time. Because of that, I haven't thought about any future AAR plans. I know that I would like to do another AAR, but that won't happen until my current Scotland AAR is completed.

Canonized: Thanks again for having this interview with me and I also wanted to thank our audience for reading again this weekend ! Sorry for the late post by the way since I've been a bit under the weather lately but I'm glad we could showcase this interview . Please tune in next week for our next interview with a fellow Spanish AARist , Wilcoxchar ! We thank you again for reading and remember , if you're a fellow patron who's been reading and wish to be interviewed for the audience to better get to know our fellow authors in this thread, please feel free to private message me !

Reminder: just a reminder that even though I was able to update tonight , I will be updating again tomorrow since I was a bit late due to sickness today . Also tell us what you think of the new interview with Eber ! (p.s. The update tomorrow will probably be a bit late since BSG tends to take my mind away in the evenings and I've Mass in the morning ! hope to see you all soon and Hope you all enjoyed the latest update and the interview !)

canonized said:
The Cardinal gave another generous laugh before looking to his page asking him, “Right now, where in the world is Carmen?”

“San Diego,” his page replied and the Cardinal nodded.

*groan*

I remember buying that game, and taking it back the next day for being so ridiculously easy.

Lovely AAR, though, despite the bad puns (and puns should be bad). :)

Khrister said:
*groan*

I remember buying that game, and taking it back the next day for being so ridiculously easy.

Lovely AAR, though, despite the bad puns (and puns should be bad). :)

Haha , used to love that game when I was a kid and we'd play it on the Apple II in school . Thanks for the great encouragement and I'm glad you're enjoying the humour !