• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
English Patriot: ROFL so it is XD

Grubnessul: Marcus , eh ? Talk about a very cool theory .

Avernite: ROFL what ?! that , i'm afraid , is an impossibility XD .

P.S. Update coming either tonight or tomorrow in the afternoon !

Alright , time for a status report .

Midterms are over so I can finally relax . That means we'll be back to regular updating parameters again by this next week . Here's what my regularity will probably look like . I want to shoot for : A Bonus on Mondays , Updates on Wednesdays and Fridays , Interviews on Sundays . It's been hectic with school but I think I'm finally starting to stabilize !

canonized said:
Avernite: ROFL what ?! that , i'm afraid , is an impossibility XD .

You mean you never heard of the female pope? :eek:

Avernite said:
You mean you never heard of the female pope? :eek:

The Pope Joan myth or something like that ? I've heard about it because of those coronation seats that had the hole in the bottom . But that was probably because the pontiffs needed to take a leak during the very long ceremonies at inaugurations and all that . It's an interesting myth actually , but there's never been any evidence for it . Plus , the Holy Spirit doesn't make mistakes =P

canonized said:
But that was probably because the pontiffs needed to take a leak during the very long ceremonies at inaugurations and all that .

Actually, if my memory serves, the chair is based off a similar style of chair used during Roman times. It may have just been a stylistic matter, or just that someone wanted to skimp on materials when they made a chair, and it caught on. :D

Judas Maccabeus said:
Actually, if my memory serves, the chair is based off a similar style of chair used during Roman times. It may have just been a stylistic matter, or just that someone wanted to skimp on materials when they made a chair, and it caught on. :D

Oh is that so ? Did not know that at all ! Well I suppose it does make sense to do it that way .

canonizedatlanticfriend.png

You’ve Been Canonized!: Atlantic Friend​

Good evening and welcome all once again to this week’s installment of You’ve Been Canonized! our weekly interview segment here on Timelines where we take a patron author and get to know more about them , their thoughts on Timelines , and about their current AAR or project ! If you’re new to the programme , I’m your host canonized author of Timelines: What if Spain Failed to Control the World? and today’s guest is one of our newest friends from HOI2 , Atlantic Friend author of the crackerjack alternate history tale Crossfires, a French AAR for HoI2 Doomsday . Without further ado : ALLEZ CUISINE !

Part I: A Friend from Across the Pond !
Let’s get to know AF a bit more !

canonized: First, welcome to the programme and we're very excited to have you aboard ! Would you care to tell us first a little bit about yourself and perhaps how you got involved in AARland ?

Atlantic Friend: Much honored to be here ! I stumbled upon the Paradox Forums almost a year ago, while browsing a defense-related website. One of the guys there had written a HoI2 scenario featuring a Mexican-American conflict, and it caught my attention. I followed the link, and before I knew it I was immersed in Alternative History. As for who I am, you could say I’m a rather ordinary thirty-something paper-pusher - and History fan.

canonized: Do you happen to have any formal education into history or at least how far has your interest taken you in the study of it ?

Atlantic Friend: No, my major was Foreign languages, and as a kid I even hated History, which I thought boring and meaningless. When I was 10, I found a book about the causes of WW1, and you could say I was then bitten by the History Mosquito, which gave me History Buff Fever. Since then I have devoured book after book, watched and taped documentary after documentary, but always as a personal interest. I guess that's why I truly fell in love with Clio, the Muse of History : I never had to look at History as homework or part of a job. It was love at first sight, one could say, and so far it's been a very fulfilling relationship !

canonized: Now , I'm curious , most of the time whenever I interview someone from 'across the pond' , as it were , they're usually from or living in England or the Netherlands . Could you tell us about being in France and how your French identity has helped to shape your writing ?

Atlantic Friend: Well, being in France - as with every European country - is to literally breathe History, to walk on it with your every step. A stone's throw from my house, they found a Gaul village that pre-dated the Roman invasion, and my town is rich with ancient monuments, ranging from the Roman era to the renaissance and the late 19th century. The area has been a large Roman settlement, has seen at least three great battles that shaped up modern France, including the 732 battle won by Charles Martel, has seen a Viking raid, etc. There's no way this rich background couldn't affect me when I write, of course.

It may also be a French trait, by I see History as a very fluid, very volatile thing, like quicksilver. So many wars were won or lost, rulers and common citizens saw so many great achievements, so many terrible failures, so many tragedies and moments of sheer joy, that it's hard to think of History as something either simple or pre-determined. Human History, in my humble opinion, defies any attempt to simplify it, and you could say I'm trying to put that conviction into my AAR. And of course, modern French History also plays a large role, particularly the history of our sometimes troubled Republic, in the 1930s So you could say I’m trying to pour French élan as well as French cynicism in my AAR, in an attempt to share my impressions of what were the 1930s in France.

canonized: It's also relatively rare to have a very in depth historical narrative in HOI2 although there are some greats—some of which you yourself mention . Could you tell us why you chose this particular path and your challenges in it ?

Atlantic Friend: Now that is an interesting question. Let's see. I chose France as my main subject for a variety of reasons. The first, sentimental one is obviously my strong attachment to my country - I guess many AAR writers start like that, before moving on to different challenges. There was also the fact that after having read probably a gazillion French jokes (and boy do I wish they hadn't been mostly the same 2 or 3 ones), I really wanted a chance at showing my readers, if any, what France actually faced in the 1930s in terms of challenges, perils, and opportunities. Then, there was the historically intriguing "what if" about the Croix de Feu, who could really have risen to power in 1934 and after. So instead of showing a "conventional" France, which would have been fine but wouldn't have been much fun for me as a writer, I decided to show the France that never was, but came within an inch of being.

As for the in-depth approach, I must say it owes a lot to Draco Rexus' "For King and Country" AAR, which got me hooked because of the detail he provided. I wasn't sure I’d go that much into detail, but you see, as soon as you start writing a story, and when you want it to be as comprehensive as possible, you have but one road to take. And that is what I strive to make with my every update, to tell readers "here's what might have happened, really". The biggest challenge of course is to keep the story coherent. It’s like a snowball, you start with a funny historical hypothesis, but then you have to stick to it, and it gets more difficult with every chapter - all the more since this is not a novel, but a fiction based on a game. So I not only have to make my story stick, I have also to respect the game results.

But in the end, it's the challenge I like. I really think the story would be quite bad if it was just me and my inspiration, because then I would have neither challenge nor limits. This way, I'm prodded forward by the game - and above all by the readers' comment. There's no way i could even start to express how much a simple question asked by a reader propels the story forward and makes sure I don't led anyone astray. The last challenge is to hunt down pictures for every update. Actually, it's more of a treasure hunt than a real challenge, but I do spend a lot of time trying to find the "perfect" picture to illustrate a paragraph - or to write the "perfect" paragraph to go with a picture I found.

canonized: For those individuals out there who might be hesitant about attempting a historical narrative especially in a place like the action-packed HOI2 forum , what might you tell them to encourage them ?

Atlantic Friend: Probably to hang tough and always remember that once they have started the AAR, it belongs to their readers as much as to themselves, which means they have a duty to keep updating it. The readers are quite generous, I know that for a fact, and style is bound to get better with practice, so the most important piece of advice I could give, as a tentative writer and occasional reader, is to keep writing.

canonized: As for Alternate History itself , could you tell us what got you interested in it ?

Atlantic Friend: There MAY be something typically French about that, as I've read one of the first Alternate History novels was written shortly after Napoleon's downfall by a writer who could not tolerate the Emperor was defeated at Waterloo ! But more seriously, I think Alternate History is a natural consequence of anyone's interest in "real" History. When you read how a particularly fascinating historical event unfolded, I think it's natural to ask yourself "wait, what if...". To me these are magic words, "what if". They open an almost unlimited series of possible worlds.

Part II: Our French Connection
AF shares his views on Timelines !

canonized: First , congratulations on passing the Season I portion of Timelines , it was a pretty lengthy read for you , wasn't it ?

Atlantic Friend: It certainly was, particularly since I often had to go back a few chapters and re-read them to make sure I hadn't missed a clue somewhere. But it is quite addictive, which really helped. I used to feel overwhelmed by the numbers of chapter I still had to read to maybe have some answers to my questions, and now i'm facing the unexpected peril of deprivation ! Withdrawal symptoms will probably include pestering you until you update, I guess.

canonized: Looking forward to it ! so as an Alternate History author yourself , how has the present world in Timelines struck you ?

Atlantic Friend: Rich in unfolding mysteries ! Sometimes I’m not even sure any of the chapters take place in "Earth prime". Immense forces seem to be arrayed for some mysterious struggle, spanning over centuries, possibly millennia. But what are mere millennia when you can get your hands on one of the ever-elusive Timepieces ! It's a well-devised world, and it's very gratifying for a reader to see the Spanish Domination engulf the world slowly and also to see what it means, centuries later. That is, I think, what makes Timelines rather unique as AARs go, because it reaches far beyond the scope of the Europa Universalis 3 world - or is it Hispania Universalis 3's ?

canonized: Haha , speaking of this uniqueness , we also spoke before about the flow scheme from chapter to interlude to chapter . What kind of comments might you have stylistically speaking ?

Atlantic Friend: I really love the way there is some form of rhyme between the end of the Chapter, then the beginning Interlude, and then between the Interlude and the next Chapter. It struck me very recently, as I was going through the sinister plots of the House of the Rose, and I found the idea very elegant, seamlessly adding finesse to the action-packed updates. I had to go back a few chapters to see if it was a new feature or if I had missed it all along, and yes, it was there, and I was officially a numpty. As I was writing an update last night, I tell you I could realize keeping this kind of pattern, and managing to make the process look entirely natural, is no small feat of the quill. As for the various references you instill in every Timelines Chapter, it is my guilty pleasure to hunt them down - another reason I often had to go back and re-read past chapters.

canonized: Well thank you very much ! It's certainly a mind bender sometimes ! One of the things you reminded me of when we first began talking was that despite we had a large cast of many characters from different areas of the world , we've only had one French (specifically Burgundian) character so far in Renault . What did you think of him ?

Atlantic Friend: Ah, Renault, our Renaissance explorer ! The chapter devoted to his exploration of what lies under the Kaaba, and his many brushes with death, is my favorite one. I like the way he is a rather balanced character, not too brainy nor too brawny. And it is intellectually challenging to wonder how it would feel if the French and Spanish kingdoms had merged in one Bourbon dynasty. Still, I must say my favorite characters are neither French nor Spanish.

canonized: Who might they be ?

Atlantic Friend: Cardinal DeWitt, as a man of the robe and a man of knowledge. If one man can pretend to embody the old adage that knowledge is power, it is him. And my second favourite character only makes a few appearances so far : it's General Novaposhyn. I'm always wary of heroes, and I always root for the underdog, and I like the way the General is a man of neither superhuman intellect nor incredible fighting skills, but an ordinary guy faced with too many questions, too many challenges, too many enemies, but who nevertheless strives to get the job done.

canonized: It's interesting that you chose these particular two characters . Cardinal DeWitt is perhaps the most favourite out of all the characters for many people , but when paired with General Novaposhyn , one sees the motif of the intrinsic co-existence of Truth . The Cardinal purports "Fides et Ratio" while Novaposhyn is an Eastern Rite Catholic and is proud of it . What are your thoughts on the theme of universality in Timelines ?

Atlantic Friend: I guess Timelines portrays individuals from very varies backgrounds, such as Tom, DeWitt or Novaposhyn, who nevertheless work for a common goal, and the challenged they face seem to go way beyond national or maybe religious questions - at least for the various forms of the Christian Faith. There is an underlying theme, that these people are actually working for the Greater Good, and that in doing so they're approaching maybe a common belief.

As for the Villains, they too have something truly universal about them. They're not political groups, they're not fighting to reach temporary preeminence over a certain area or even the world, there is the underlying idea that, should they succeed, not only the world as we know it will cease to be, but also the entire universe. A bad pun probably, but the struggle between the two groups is akin to the battle of the End of Times - only it is battle fought throughout Time, and maybe for Time itself.

canonized: And lastly from this section , do you have any guesses on what the Timepieces and Keys are , how they work , or perhaps their purpose both practically and metaphysically ?

Atlantic Friend: Here's my wild guess. I figure that as the Universe expands in the three dimensions we know, it also expands in Time, the fourth dimension. Hence there are out there a multitude of past or parallel Earths, which can be reached thanks to the Timepiece which might be some form or portal, or simply a small quantity of the energy used for the Creation. As for how they work, I have no clear idea yet, although I think Tom may have some innate ability to use the key, possibly as part of his family's lineage. Maybe the publication of his essay has given his enemies the idea that he may have used a Timepiece - or be one.

Part III: Into the Crossfire !
Let’s get to know more about AF’s latest AAR !

canonized: We already shortly discussed a little bit about why you chose France in particular , but for those who might not be too familiar with the counterfactual you're experimenting with , could you perhaps give us a brief summary of your premise ?

Atlantic Friend: Of course. as you know, France suffered serious riots in 1934, sparked by a financial scandal which was used by all kinds of groups who wanted to express their rejection of the Republic's government - or of the Republic itself. The Croix de feu, a WW1 veteran movement turned mass Conservative Party, played a role in the 1934 riots, and actually found themselves in such a position they could easily have overthrown the republic. Colonel de La Rocque, their leader, chose not to, because he was a legalist and wanted reforms over revolution. My base hypothesis, after reading books and programs he had written was "What if he had staged some form of coup after all ?" What would it have meant for France in 1934 to undergo the reform program of the croix de feu - and I tell you, the reforms were both deep and quite modern. So it just started with this "what if" idea.

canonized: And so far this idea has blossomed interestingly with the shifting alliances and intrigue that goes on in your tale . One particular idea that made me exult in delight personally at your work was the idea of Christian Democracy fighting against the extremities of Fascism and Communism . Could you tell us the background of this emphasis ?

Atlantic Friend: For France, in the 1930s, both forms of totalitarian government were seen as grave perils. Fascism, while seducing some in the Right, seemed totally foreign to a country whose parliamentary tradition and passion for political bickering was already firmly entrenched, and Communism was seen as an even more dangerous doctrine that would destroy the French nation in the pursuit of hollow universalistic dreams. In the AAR I simply have France rejecting either way and developing her own, based on La Rocque's religious convictions (he was a devout Christian) and political realism (he believed social progress should be pursued, and not denied in the name of Conservatism)

If it hadn't been for the outbreak of WW2, the Croix de feu would have become France's first Conservative Party - and possibly France's first political party. The Crossfires AAR is essentially an attempt to show what it would, or could have meant for France, for Europe, and for the world. And as you noticed, I try to portray other characters, Germans and Italians, who refuse the brave new worlds of the 1930s dictators and try to revive some old and honored values. Whether they might succeed is a different issue, and I don't want the AAR to be some form of political manifesto, but I like the idea of showing what is to me inherent to European culture, with its Christian roots and also its social conflicts, its antiquated institutions and its Old World traditions, trying to resist the new times that were ushered in by the 1930s.

canonized: And indeed with that new way , there has been friction on both sides especially in the early battleground of Spain and then later spilling into Italy etc . How did you go about rationalizing and internalizing the different changes in the other governments or did you just give reasoning behind in-game mechanics ?

Atlantic Friend: The game provided me with the results - like the outbreak of the Spanish war, or the elimination of the Spanish Anarchists. I really do my best to stick to them, as they provide me both with a safety rail and a challenge. It's like an investigation : I know something has happened, and I have to figure out how and why. As for France's actions, of course, I have to stay in-character. For example, it seemed impossible for my Conservative cabinet to look the other way when the Spanish politicians they helped in 1936 suddenly get replaced by Stalinists. The need for a coherent story is my second safety rail. With the cold, hard results provided by the game, it tells me in which direction I have to move. How I go from here to there is up to me, along with how to do it with the readers liking it and not deciding it’s a lot of baloney. I spend a lot of time questioning my characters' position in the AAR because I truly want "Crossfires" to be a glimpse of what might have been, and not, as I pointed out in the first chapter, a feel-good story about some invincible Uber-France. My characters have to be as real as possible, staying in character and displaying the whole scope of human qualities and weaknesses.

canonized: You also put a great scope of eminent men with solid research into it not only such major players as the future Pope Venerable Pius XII and Il Duce but also relatively low key French and Italian politicians . How do you work with such a wide range of historical individuals and how do you channel them ?

Atlantic Friend: Clio is a wonderful mistress, as she had a cast of thousands ready for me ! The use of as many characters as possible is important to me, as it allows me to create a rather realistic background and to have the story leap from France to Germany to the US to Italy. Of course, trying to do it thoroughly means looking for the right person to serve as a narrator, a foe, or a go-between. It also means I don't fabricate heroes - characters in this AAR are mostly here to channel the story, and the idea is that even if they fail or die, the story keeps moving forward. I spend a lot of time looking for the right character to use, a character that will be fun to write for, and hopefully fun to read about. The really incredible thing is that, if you look for a connection between two characters or nations or ideologies, Clio has the right guy in her collection. Whatever the link you're looking for, there's someone, somewhere who has it - or is it. Once you find them, it's only a question of reading a few things so you can portray them adequately, if not accurately.

canonized: As it is right now , tensions are rising ; Hungary and Lithuania joining the Axis and trouble is brewing in the warzone of South America and Spain is still eerily unstable . Could you give us any previews for your fans for what might be coming up next ?

Atlantic Friend: In Europe, Czechoslovakia is going to be the next hotspot, and will bring the world closer to war. In Asia, there might be an Indochina surprise for Christmas. In America, the US will flex some newly built muscle to put an end to the chaos in the South American cone.

canonized: Speaking of the USA , you also include many side-narratives so to speak to explain some of the other deviations from real history that you've done . Most notably for me was the one explaining the strangely Republican administration in the USA at this time which I think you handled quite expertly ! How have these little snippets come up and how do you deal with them ?

Atlantic Friend: One fabulous advantage of writing on this forum is that you get active readers. Not only do they comment, they question, and nothing can be more precious than that. The update about Alfred Landon's election was very directly inspired by two readers who expressed their surprise at the event, to which I hadn't given much thought until then. Their comments helped me widen the focus of the AAR by making it not only about the "Crossfires" France, but about the whole "Crossfires" world. It was intellectually challenging, and extremely satisfying, to play "Historical Clue" and find out good reasons Roosevelt might have lost the 1936 election. I'll never thank enough the readers who register and comment, and who in doing so keep the forum and the writers' flame alive. The other source of inspiration is of course History itself. While researching one character, I sometimes stumble upon a small nugget of information that seems too good to leave unused, like the incredible stuff I dug out about the GPU agent who led an attempt on Trotsky’s life. But even these nuggets, however fascinating they are, cannot be compared to the intellectual boost that is a reader commenting, asking, questioning your work.

canonized: And lastly , what are your future AAR plans ?

Atlantic Friend: Given the fact I have written nearly 50 chapters for Crossfires without even reaching 1939, you could say updating Crossfires looms big in my future ! I have also started a comedy AAR about the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg, which is mostly here to use all the funny ideas that come to my mind when I'm writing for "Crossfires". I'll continue this second AAR of course, adding chapters whenever my sick mind is visited by the Monty Pythons or by memories of El Pip's "For King haakon and the Fjords". All in all, I'll probably stick around for a couple centuries ! Which means you'll be pestered a lot for "Timelines" update, of course. Be afraid, be very afraid...

canonized: Thank you again and it was a great pleasure to have you on the show , Atlantic Friend ! I hope the audience enjoyed this week’s edition of You’ve Been Canonized and please tune in to the thread throughout the week for our next guest ! Don’t forget to keep Atlantic Friend and I in mind when you vote in the AARland Choice AwAARds 2007 Q3 ; only a week or so left to vote !! Good fight , good night !

Elorei said:
Thistle drew a cool picture for you!

Yes XD He drew two ! You'll see the other one when you get closer to the end of Season I !

Soon I'm hiring a reader, so he can summarize all the AARs I should be reading... ;)

Anyway, good job once again with the update, interview, drawning, ... :)

A fascinating interview! I've had the pleasure to have been aquainted with Atlantic Friend's Luxembourg AAR, I'll definately have to check out Crossfires at some point!

English Patriot said:
A fascinating interview! I've had the pleasure to have been aquainted with Atlantic Friend's Luxembourg AAR, I'll definately have to check out Crossfires at some point!
Same here, EP. But after this summary, it does sound very interesting. I'll definitely have tpo spend some time there.

Nice one yet again, canonized. :cool:

Murmurandus: Thank you XD

English Patriot: yes ! I highly recommend it !

coz1: Thank you for reading !

Bonus is what's scheduled for tonight !

Elorei said:
Zombies! I should have known~ ¦p

XD Yes ! You should have ! XD <3

Bonus Chapter: Enter Woodhouse

History of The Woodhouse Dynasty – 1570s

As you all might recall, we introduced a new character, Professor Woodhouse, into the canon of the story based on our good friend and guest author English Patriot. Hilariously, Mr. Woodhouse himself has also made another little tribute to us on his AAR so I’ve decided to return the favour and provide that for you all as our bonus today!

This bonus is indeed canon and it will actually have clues about some of the Season I characters! It will be in slightly different style than regular Timelines chapters since it is a bonus so any comments or questions are welcome!

October 23, 1575

Dear Elly,

I know it’s been a while since I’ve written to you, but you would have never guessed what’s been going on lately. Ever since I was accepted into the Scarlet Academy, everything has changed. We’re learning about Aristotle and Euclid and… well I suppose I won’t bore you, I’m sure you’re learning about them too at the training they’re giving you, but this is really opening up my mind. I know what you’re thinking: it’s only been ten years since our parents fought the Spanish in the war, but I’m telling you, Elly, the Empire is the future of Europe.

I know we haven’t talked much before I left, but I really hope you understand. Aside from mum and dad, you’re the only one I write to. I hope to visit again soon next year and maybe, perhaps, we could see each other before I finish my training here. I can even show you how far I’ve gotten on my Destreza training! There’s a competition for it that’s I’m entering. It’s going to be a tough competition, but I hope to win the first place prize. They haven’t announced what it will be yet, but you know me, sword fighting is something that I love.

Actually, there’s another Englishman here who will also be in the competition. Sebastian Royce is his name, but you know more about the lineages of the Aristocracy better than I, Elly, so maybe you could tell me a little about him and his family. Though, honestly, one of the reasons why I’m interested is because there seems to be some aura of scandal that follows him around. Not so much a public thing, but there’s just something wrong about him. He’s one of the best swordsmen in the Academy, though, and as captain of the men’s team, he’s a formidable adversary. The Spaniards have their boy as well; some arrogant fool named Antonio—a son of a Duke, I think. I see the two of those conspiring every once in a while in the halls probably slipping out of the grounds at night—I won’t gossip, but it just fills me with indignation at times.

Well, I also wanted to tell you a little bit more about the Academy but, like I told you before I left, it’s to be expected that they read our mail since most of the training here and the information they give out should not leave the halls. I’m glad they still allow me to talk with you all back home, though. The grounds themselves are nice, but really there are several campuses across the country and even one somewhere in France—I can’t tell you where. The girls have a separate dormitory and they’re usually not allowed to intermingle with us lest we provide a distraction for each other. I’m actually kind of glad; I’ve been too excited about my prospects that I haven’t had much time to think of anything else these past few months… except you, of course. I think I’ll send you some more letters soon, but—

“Senor Woodhouse! You know that Scriptorium supplies are not to be used for personal letters!” a rather intimidating nun screeched having, at first, a small bit of trouble pronouncing the Welsh name. The boy jumped in his seat but quickly scribbled the pen against the paper.

I have to go now!

Sincerely,
Bevan Woodhouse

“My apologies, Sister Johanna! It was an important letter to my sister and—” the English accented Spanish was cut short by the image of the fat bride of Christ taking a step closer to the young man. Although she was shorter than him, her girth, nonetheless, supplied him with enough consternation and silenced his tongue.

“That’s the third letter you’ve written to that girl of yours, Bevan, and she is by far not your sister! Don’t think I haven’t been informed of it!” the habited woman said with a finger pointed at the paper that the young man now pressed against his chest protectively. “You may be descended from some crusader lineage, young man, but I can tell when you’re lying like a dog.”

“I—I’m sorry, Sister, it’s just…”

Suddenly, Bevan nearly jumped back in terror as the corpulent nun burst into a crack of laughter. Bevan’s light brown locks bounced as his face soured in terror at the sight. “You’re a good boy, Bevan,” Sister Johanna quickly said silencing her insane laughter at the second of her utterance, “and you have no small measure of propriety when writing to that girl. But you know the scriptorium’s papers and ink are only for school work, but I’ll let you off easy this time.”

Still in between terror and relief, Bevan quickly acquiesced to the advice and nodded saying, “thank you, Sister, yes I’ll remember next time… please excuse me!” Bevan was fast enough to back up and do a turn before Sister Johanna let out another crack of laughter that raised every working head in the scriptorium.

Bevan slipped the rolled up paper into his tunic and rushed down the marble staircase onto the first floor of the library. That’s when he nearly bumped into another young man running across the bottom of the stairs.

“There you are!” the would-be collider exclaimed, “the first round of the qualifications are about to start! Where have you been!” at that point, the Irish twist to the Spanish was evident.

“Declan!” Bevan voiced his recognition while being surprised for the second time that day. He quickly realized what his friend was telling him. “I have to run to get my espada from my dormitory!”

The Irishman placed his palm on his forehead in consternation. “I’ll go with you and help you with your equipment, but we better hurry,” he spoke rapidly as he pulled on Bevan’s shoulder dragging him out the doorways.

“I thought my match was at two thirty!” Bevan complained as he caught up speed.

The grass underfoot passed swiftly underneath them as they rushed towards the large dormitory building across the courtyard. “It already IS two thirty, Bevan!” Declan replied with compounded frustration. Bevan could not help but curse inwardly. He had just finished boasting to Elly that he would win the competition and now it seemed that he was going to miss the qualification—not a good way to impress those silent ones that perpetually watch the proceedings. Indeed, he had to work hard—he wanted to go to that one place he dreamed of ever since his father had told him about it before the Spanish put him out of a job working at London. Yes—he wanted to be in that Silent Room.

---

“Next match!” the senior classman called out as another set was decided. Already, the blood stains on the courtyard were providing a stark contrast to the stone underneath and to the grass on either side. Even though the rules were to first blood, there were still injuries ever now and again that required some of the brave boys to be taken to the infirmary.

Bevan’s eyes had not left the field for three hours ever since his first match against a German whom he defeated. He wanted to study every movement of his future adversaries. “See how that one over there is putting his feet too close?” he said quietly.

“He’s definitely off; he won’t have enough push.” the Irish accent responded. Another swift flash of metal and a small scratch of blood reached the floor. Declan looked to Bevan with a grin as their prediction came true again.

“For an Englishman, you know Carranza’s writings pretty well,” Declan complimented as another bout was about to begin.

“You should too, if you ever want to get ahead in this Academy. It’s not like they allow this kind of competition for no reason. We’re supposed to be the future men of the Silence, Declan, and that means being as tough as nails.”

The Irishman couldn’t help but chortle, “You’re starting to talk like Professor Roxas.”

“Well,” Bevan responded, “he may be old, but he’s definitely got the fire of the Empire in him.”

Declan huffed another laugh and shook his head. “And you wonder why your countrymen call you a Unionist.”

“It’s the captain,” Bevan interrupted holding himself back from moving forward to take a better look. Sebastian Royce assumed the field and already the surrounding men grew quieter. Whipping a strand of hair from his handsome face, the fellow Englishman drew his weapon with an expert stance. Bevan narrowed his eyes to examine the natural finesse welling up in preparation.

“Begin!”

A sparkle of metal and everyone circling around the field could hear the ringing of blade against blade. The Captain understood what he was doing, Bevan thought: there was nothing overbearing about his attacks—he was calculating and swift and his legs twisted his posture just enough that he slowly but surely built up the momentum against his opponent. It did not take long—a soft scratch against his opponent’s left breast and it was decided.

Both Declan and Bevan marveled at the display of skill and held a short silence with the rest of the audience at the masterful blade work only to be interrupted by the “Next match!” call. However, if silence dominated the match with the team captain, the next competitor seemed to generate a storm of whispers and talk.

“Why is he wearing a mask and cowl?” Bevan quickly asked Declan who, it seemed, was just about to ask him the same question. Already, the din of the surrounding watchers was rising. Declan, in the rising noise, gave no answer but watched on as the mysterious figure centered himself on the field.

“Quiet!” the senior classmen commanded. “The mask and cowl make no difference. The target is still the torso. I will not hear any other discussion.” Although the ruling was made, the whispers continued as the masked man’s opponent stepped onto the field.

“Antonio’s going up against this guy!” was heard around the circle as the opponent revealed himself to be the young Duke Jimenez’s son.

“This should be a good match,” Declan said rubbing his hands together. “So long as this masked swordsman is as good as he is strange.” Bevan, however, stayed quiet. In the commotion, he was the first to notice that the masked one was holding his sword with his left hand.

“Begin!”

Both fleshed at each other at such a speed that Bevan couldn’t tell who might have gotten the right of way. A short burst of closing speed and metal hit metal. Pushing left and hopping backward, Antonio narrowly missed the lunge before attempting one of his own. Like a sudden rush of wind, Antonio’s thrust was parried but he managed to knick his opponent’s shoulder while his side suffered a terrible gash from the riposte. Stillness ensued and the gathering held their breath. The judge immediately announced victory for the masked competitor.

Stepping away without a word from the center and only quickly saluting enemy, judge, and audience, the masked one exited amid a tremor of speculation. Antonio, on the other hand, held a hand against his bleeding side and was seen trudging away apparently in the same direction as his opponent had left.

“Who was that?” Bevan asked mirroring the questions all had in the circle.

“I don’t know,” Declan answered candidly, “but this was the only set Antonio lost today. He’ll still advance to the group of sixteen with us, but…”

“Yeah,” Bevan muttered curiously, “I’d be angry too.”

Bevan kept his eyes on the gap in the circle where the two competitors had fled. Watching Antonio’s back he could only guess at the anger that prideful young man must be feeling. Bevan couldn’t help but smirk to himself; he would be the next to land a humiliating blow in the round of sixteen.

Next Bonus Chapter: Round of 16

mmm 16 waiting :)

pit said:
mmm 16 waiting :)

I'm glad you liked it ! Looking forward to unfolding this little side tale as well ^^ !

Ahh excellent stuff, good to see Antonio, and the Scarlet Academy again! With some lovely references as always! I'm looking forward to the Round of 16, though I wonder who the masked competitor could be?

I won't guess, because, knowing your storylines, I'm bound to be wrong :p