• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Why would Antonio need to be drunk?

Because his later actions make quite clear he can't have had a baby with Isabella, or at least not that he knows.

Also, your clue kinda suggests the Scarlet academy isn't where Raul comes from. Hmm...

Murmurandus: Oh , I see o.o . I had escargot once . It tasted like dirt .

Avernite: Haha , perhaps . It'll start building up on revealing more secrets from Season I and then showing how those connect with the mysteries in Season II .

LeonTrotsky: The wait is over ! Next chapter we'll finally get to see what the Artifacts are all about ! So we'll start doling out some satisfaction finally !

canonized said:
LeonTrotsky: The wait is over ! Next chapter we'll finally get to see what the Artifacts are all about ! So we'll start doling out some satisfaction finally !

Oh man! Don't tease me! Satisfaction will be cool...along with another healthy dose of mystery please!

TheExecuter

canonizedgeneral_bt.png

You’ve Been Canonized!: General_BT​

Good afternoon everyone and welcome once again to You’ve Been Canonized our weekly interview segment here on Timelines where we take patron authors and get to know more about them , what they think of Timelines , and about their current project or AAR ! If you’re new to the programme , I’m your host canonized author of Timelines: What if Spain Failed to Control the World? Today we have a special guest , WritAAR of the Week winner and the very first Fellow to the Tempus Society General_BT author of Rome AARisen – A Byzantine AAR . Let’s get it on !

Part I: Man Behind the Stratego
General_BT introduces himself !

canonized: Thank you for being on the programme , General_BT ! It's always a pleasure to get to know some of the new writers coming around on the forums nowadays ! Please tell us a little bit about yourself ?

General_BT: Well, I'm a graduate student in history at University of Illinois, focusing on Russian and Military History... I got into writing AARs after I purchased the original EU1 back in 2000, and even as I've bought titles in the series (I own everything except HOI2 and its derivatives) I've always wanted to write an AAR - Rome AARisen has been my first major attempt.

canonized: Before you started writing , did you spend any time reading ? What kind of AARland experience did you have before being a WritAAR ?

General_BT: Well, in terms of non-AARs I'm an avid sci-fi and fantasy fan... I'm a huge fan of Honor Harrington, actually. In terms of AARs I've read them for most of the game series I've purchased - I actually read frostbeatsegg's "Adventures of Princess Eleanor" on the forums for the Total War series before I read them here! I started reading around Paradox AARland in April of this year when I purchased EU3, and through the AARland I found out about CK. Before Rome AARisen, I had a few AARs that started but sputtered and died - the only one in AARland was an attempt to describe a huge Byzantine Empire versus the Mongols (I don't remember the title) that died because the Mongol AI refused to attack... so I gave up on it.

canonized: As a new writer to the scene especially in the rise of the EU3 membership , what are your impressions of AARland and the community so far ?

General_BT: So far it seems to be a very friendly, very receptive community. I haven't been to other forums that have had as many...um... amenities. Nominations for Writers and Fans of the Week to encourage people, analysis and critiques of people's writing ability, a character of the week, etc.... It all encourages someone who is a writer or a fan to post and contribute, making the community stronger. I also like the breadth and depth of the community here - people are able to post AARs from the middle ages to almost the modern day, and its somewhat refreshing when I'm tired of reading about knights and chivalry I can switch gears and read about the Soviet Union in World War Two or someone's tale of early modern intrigue in the age of pike and shot.

canonized: Speaking of AwAARds you yourself have won the WritAAR of the Week Award recently , congratulations ! It certainly shows the caliber of your writing and of your style of which you've chosen a narrative format with some elements of history . Could you tell us why you opted for that style ?

General_BT: Well, I opted for the more narrative format because, for me, court intrigue is about the people of the court themselves. A narrative format allows me to get more into individual motives for action - playing the plot out rather than just describing it heightens the tension and makes things more exciting. When I'm not talking about intrigues, I'll switch back to a more historical format - its compactness allows me to go over time periods quickly, allowing me to focus the narrative element on more plotting - Rome AARisen is a Byzantine AAR, after all!

canonized: And as far as characterization goes you've done quite well ! You were telling me earlier that Crusader Kings lends itself by its very nature to be character oriented . What are your comments on the various paradox games so far ?

General_BT: Well, I got into Paradox games through the original EU, and I remember it took me a while to appreciate it - I was used to the Total War series, and my first impressions where that it was rather abstract. I kept playing however, and I grew to love the mix of history and alternate history that the EU series developed - which is why I'm hoping, down the road once the CK portion is finished, my AAR will continue into the EU3 timeline. As for CK itself, one thing I enjoy immensely is the roleplaying aspect of the game. Instead of focusing on a country, you focus on a dynasty, with every individual having their own little quirks that directly affect gameplay. It’s an interesting twist on the traditional empire-building genre. Vicky is also a favorite of mine, mostly because that's actually the period of history I study (late 19th, early 20th century). Its always fun to go back and incrementally change the Russian Empire to a constitutional monarchy, or play with France with her continuous revolutions. :) HOI I haven't played all that much... It’s currently sitting on the shelf, unused. Once I finish some ongoing Vicky campaigns (now that I know a little about modding) I might try to mod in my German Empire and see how it does during WW2, for example...

canonized: As you've told us , you're a graduate student in history ; how does your academic background inform , insight , or affect your writing ?

General_BT: I'd say the biggest thing its done is that its taught me how to synthesize a lot of background information quickly. When I first started the Byzantine AARs I knew very little about Romanion on how the Byzantine's viewed themselves... so during the late summer I went on a Byzantium binge at the university library and found out.. well... more than I could ever possibly use. This means, though, that when drawing up my characters I try to use things I know (for example, some of the Byzantine tactics used during battles show up when Demetrios is fighting his opponents), or in my descriptions of places and people. I try to use many of the terms in my narration that people of the time would have used (Romanion and Romanoi instead of Byzantines, Great Turk, etc.)... to me it lends an air of authenticity and immersiveness that would not be there otherwise. It also helps that my background includes the study of the history of Russia, who in many ways considered themselves the heirs to the throne left vacant by the fall of the Eastern Empire. For example, some of Demetrios' future army reforms are going to be a mix between the reforms of two real people - Alexios Komnenos (of course) and Ivan IV of Russia. So I guess my studies also gives me an idea of examples I can draw on from real history when I'm writing my fiction.

canonized: If there was some kind of advice you could give to other new writers out there , what would you tell them ?

General_BT: Two things - First, write a little bit every day - it doesn't matter if it ends up being used for something or if it ends up just sitting on your hard drive. The act of writing by itself helps you develop your narrative voice - how you tell a story. Take events from that day, and write, even a little bit, about them, and let your mind carry them beyond their everyday significance. Second - read. A lot. Read things that interest you. Even if they're not fiction, you'll pick up stylistic ideas from published writers that you can then add to your own. For example, I'd cite David Weber and George R. R. Martin as two writers who influenced my own style. Read other AARs as well - I'd say Rome AARisen was heavily influenced by another CK Byzantine AAR I loved that died away, thames' "The Palaeologi." Its from there I got the idea for the narrative style I use in much of my AAR.

Part II: The Beginnings of a Journey
General_BT shares some of his impressions on Timelines !

canonized: I'm curious , where did you find out about Timelines ?

General_BT: I actually ran across it when I was mucking about in the EU3 AARs - this was back in May and I didn't yet know if I was going to write an EU3 AAR or not - and I started reading. I sadly haven't gotten far (Its one problem that there are so many things to read and there's so little time), but I'm diligently working my way further into the story. :)

canonized: Some people have different strategies when reading Timelines since it is a lengthy work and sometimes dense with details that some wish they had remembered later on ; what's your particular strategy ?

General_BT: I read it slowly - some AARs I'll skim until I reach a part that’s interesting, but it seems since Timelines is so dense (details come back and are important later) I read it slowly. Its part of the reason I haven't gotten far yet, but I understand a lot of the intricacies that go on, and the story is far richer and in depth.

canonized: Any particulars that have popped out or drawn your interest so far in your reading ?

General_BT: I really like the two tales going on - the tale of Spain's EU conquests, and the shadow ripple effect it has on the life of a young man living in the 21st century. It's a very interesting take on how to tackle the problem of going beyond the simple "I conquered everything" monotony that AARs, especially ones about powerful countries, can tumble into. A list of provinces taken is rarely impressive - the story of how that conquest has changed the world five centuries later is far more interesting. I'm also impressed as to how this different world is only slowly being revealed - the classic "show, don't tell" approach to storytelling. It leaves things mysterious, and keeps me wanting to read more. :)

canonized: Yes , thank you ! The counterpoint storylines almost like melody and harmony is one of the things I enjoy making the most . As you noted , it can get monotonous with world conquest and hence the different layers to accost the attention such as the underlying mystery . What kind of thoughts do you have on the hidden aspects of the work so far ?

General_BT: there's a lot that is still hidden from me. Big thing I want to know - how is Spain ruling the world exactly? Is it through a system of viceroys, as it was historically? How did this system pan out... Its obvious the Church's influence is global, but is Spain's political influence the same... or have things moved beyond mere kingdoms, and the Church is the true global power? Its from my training focusing on political history, I guess :)

canonized: Haha , well that's an interesting hypothesis I haven't come across before ! One thing that is also a bit unique about Timelines is that it rarely focuses on the monarchs but gives much emphasis to the secret group of people who run nations . What did you think of this approach considering your political history background ?

General_BT: I like it... one of the things I often encounter in political history is a focus on "great men." What I tend to study is "political culture," or how average people interpret the signs and symbols that politicians banter about, and often the results are surprising. Politics tend to be interpreted differently by individual people, and I like the focus on individuals. That’s getting revealed right now in how these average people are reacting to and thinking about these major changes in a world far different from our own.

canonized: Hand in hand with the ordinary and the macrocosm of the political life at the moment , there is also an undercurrent of something greater than the veneer of action going on . What have you picked up so far as a new reader in this regard ?

General_BT: I'm seriously wondering what makes Tom so special... is this along the lines of Ender's Game, like he's something ahead of his peers, that the Church or some shadow government of some kind?

canonized: A very interesting observation ! So the last question is the traditional one: Any guesses on what the Timepiece is ?

General_BT: I have no idea... a time machine for Tom to go back and fix something that went wrong with Spain's conquests?

Part III: Thrice August
A peek at General_BT’s current work !

canonized: Byzantium has been a very popular course for many writers , what made you decide on this famous “Tragic Figure” of the East ?

General_BT: Well, I guess a big part of it is the classic lure of an alternate history - there's the big "what if" of Manzikert, for example. Coupled with that is the legacy of Rome - something which every kingdom in Europe is attempting to claim. Byzantium has the best claim to the Roman mantle - but because of bad luck and its bad position. So it’s interesting to think what might have happened had Byzantium survived - would you have Russian tsars? Spain's claim to Imperial ambition (sold to the Spanish monarchs by the last heir of the Byzantine throne)?

canonized: We've already discussed the kind of historical research that you've done ; with this work you'll be making another excellent addition of work for the Alternate History speculative genre which is very popular on AARland . What kind of formula or process do you use to help you extrapolate the differentiated timeline ?

General_BT: Well... that’s a difficult one. Firstly, I try to look at longstanding real problems that have to be addressed - for example, future rulers in Rome AARisen are going to face the same problem as Justinian - the time lag of ruling distant lands such as North Africa and Spain from Constantinople. Just because the Komnenoi take over doesn't mean that problem goes away.

Second, I'm hoping to be able to keep some existing historical "markers" (events, or more often, possible rulers) to help keep the reader engaged. CK does some of this (Mongols, the plague), but I'm hoping to do it more. This will require overruling the game events for the purpose of story, but I would love to have Richard the Lionheart meeting Basil III as long as it doesn't break the story too much. I know when I was reading, little goodies like that made things interesting. In practice, however, the AAR has only progressed to 1100, so there hasn't been a complete break with the historical timeline yet. We'll see how it turns out.

canonized: Do you find that writing this particular AAR has given you an opportunity to examine connections with real world events and situations or any infusion of that sort ?

General_BT: One thing it's taught me is how interrelated European royal dynasties actually were. For example, it wasn't till I did some background research that I realized Basil II married his daughter to the Western Roman Emperor with the hope and goal of uniting the two thrones - only to have Otto III die prematurely before his bride reached him. Now, imagine if that union had come about and been successful! As provinces switch hands and kingdoms rise and fall over the same territory, it's also a good reminder that states as we know them didn't exist back then - that treaties, alliances and wars were personal matters between rulers and their vassals, not a bureaucracy that represented a group that called themselves "French" and marched against another bureaucracy and group calling themselves "German." It keeps things in perspective, since it’s so easy to toss around modern terms like that when talking about the past where such terms aren't accurate.

canonized: I'd like to spend a little time talking about your main character Demetrios . Naturally , from the family he comes from , and the long history there , this is a character with a great set of potentiality . How did you envision this character and could you tell us a little about your own comments about this ambitious man ?

General_BT: Well, I think what you see with Demetrios is the fallout of him coming to power unexpectedly as a young man. His father died when he was 16, before his military training was even complete. As a result in the affairs of court, he's unsteady and unsure of himself - it’s not a battleground he is used to. Early on he had a talented wife and spymaster who supported him, but they died in labor and by murder respectively. Now, we're seeing a Demetrios that doesn't have this support, who feels comfortable only in the saddle, increasingly leaving affairs of court to people he shouldn't trust or who might not get along with others (ex. his second wife Hajnal). At the same time, he also carries this mantle of being a "savior" of some kind for the Romanoi. Once again, his father was expected to carry this mantle, but it got shoved on Demetrios due to his father's premature death. He still carries this mantle around, and tries to fulfill it by expanding Rome's borders (conquest and war is the one thing he feels comfortable doing) while keeping Rome's ultimate enemy, the Turks, at bay. We'll see shortly whether he's successful in this regard, or not.

canonized: Mentioning the family , it is an integral part of your narrative . Many plot elements (some of which I won't give away) give nice twists such as those involving the Uncle Manuel . Naturally , this is a very Byzantine motif , but where do you draw your inspiration for this and how did you come to create these surprising turns ?

General_BT: In many ways, some of these surprising turns come about from explaining confusing in-game events - a declaration of war that doesn't make any sense, a surprising court defection. These events, if you grant them an unseen, background explanation, can suddenly make sense in the story. That inexplicable declaration of war could have come about through years of rivalry beforehand; that defection could have resulted from a lover's quarrel or a plot gone awry. In many cases, twisting these game events is all that’s required to make things come alive.

canonized: Do you have any sneak peeks on what we might be seeing in the future ? You are awfully close to consolidating Jerusalem and the Holy Land . Any previews for your fans ?

General_BT: Well... look for the following things:

1) Hajnal's influence on Demetrios' heir, Nikolaios. The young man will have some interesting views and traits that would not be expected, and will have long lasting consequences for the Komnenid line.
2) Hajnal's revenge - She's been spurned and insulted, yet she's clever enough to know outright revenge will serve no purpose. She has a plot that will start revealing itself shortly that could unravel the Byzantine court and bring her high riding Emperor to his knees.
3) The Turks - they have been very quiet, or have they? The tensions between Byzantium and the Seljuks will shortly come to head, in a way that will surprise you.

canonized: who was your favorite character to make ?

General_BT: Of the characters revealed so far, definitely Anastasia Komnenos - good combination of beauty, intelligent, deviousness, and tragedy. It was fun to write her into the story, and I was sad to see her go.

canonized: And lastly , what kind of AARs are you planning after this one is completed ?

General_BT: Now that DV is out I've been mulling the idea of doing a quicker paced AAR with Pronsk... it has a good opportunity to expand, and with its Russian origins I can add a great deal of background color to the story as well. Eventually, Rome AARisen will hopefully end its run during the CK era and move to the EU3 timeline - I've finished the CK game RomeAARisen is based on, and I'm in the midst of doing scripting work for the mod that will carry the story onward past 1453.

canonized: Well thank you once again for being on the show , General_BT and we’re very glad to have you in the Tempus Society ! I hope our audience enjoyed this week’s interview as well and we’re always committed to showing the bright and new faces of AARland ! Tune in to the thread the following week for the announcement of who our next interviewee will be but until then , please don’t forget General_BT or us in the AARland Choice AwAARds 2007 Q3 ! Have a good week everyone !

Another great interview, canonized and congrats to General_BT for being...is inducted the right word? Regardless, from what I've read, it's an entertaining AAR. Certainly deserving. And you can't possibly know how good it makes us feel to see that the little projects we've built over the years are appreciated and utilized as was intended. That warmed my heart. Thanks for that General_BT! :)

Thanks go to all my readers, and canonized for picking me out for the honor of being... well... canonized, in spite of my Byzantine/Orthodox/Iconoclastic Heresy. :) (The Church is getting lax, it looks like :p) Look forward to pushing further into Timelines as well!

great interview, General. also congrats for being the first initiated member in to the Society.

coz1: Thank you very much !

General_BT: Glad to have you aboard ! Haha , well if I can canonized a red like LeonTrotsky I can get away with anything right ? XD just teasing you there , Leon . Luckily no one ever named me Pope XD .

rcduggan: thanks for coming to the party :D

Great interview yet once again... :)

And escargot can be delicious if served fine... ;)

Murmurandus said:
Great interview yet once again... :)

And escargot can be delicious if served fine... ;)

thank you , sir ! Haha and how does one serve escargot ?

canonized said:
thank you , sir ! Haha and how does one serve escargot ?

Properly... ;) You should ask a French forumite, they are supposed to be the specialists... ;) But they need to be FRESH and with garlic butter... :cool:

Murmurandus said:
Properly... ;) You should ask a French forumite, they are supposed to be the specialists... ;) But they need to be FRESH and with garlic butter... :cool:

Oh , alright XD . By the way I'll be working on an update for tonight so look out for that !

Avernite said:
nice interview again, Pope Canonized :p

And I mean it, despite the joke ;)

Haha thank you , sir XD Glad to showcase another great author !

ARgh ! Just as I thought . So I have 3 midterms on THURSDAY . So I tried both studying and working on the update today . Update is about 40% done but something just had to give and I opted to study a bit more . I've already aced all my tests so far (had 3 already) and I don't want to mess up my record these next 3 so I'll update tomorrow ! Forgiveness Please !

Edit: Once the week ends I'll be back to my usual updating self . I've actually been pretty good about updates , I hope , even though this is the first time I've tried updating while being in college classes (When I started , I hadn't registered for classes yet =( ) . It's been a challenge but I hope that you guys will continue to get the Timelines you've always expected ! Could always use any help that's out there though !

Last edited:
Keep your study up we will wait

Hello, EU3 is my first foray into Parodox games and I must say I greatly enjoy it, especially that people write about their games. Yours is the first AAR I stumbled across and I'm impressed, even though I'm still behind. I was planning on remaining silent until I was caught up, but your reference to Diablo 2 in "Lord of Acid" has driven me to post. What a great reference!

Pit: Thank you for your encouragement I really appreciate it ! I'm also very glad to have you on with us ; we have so many Dutch already it's good to see someone from Belgium haha !

Benuardo: Thank you very much , i'm very flattered ! Haha yes we put a lot of references in there when we can ! I'm also so glad to have you on board and for you to have us as your first AAR , it's an honour ! Please feel free to comment whenever you'd like , the readers here are also friendly chaps and gals so they'll be more than happy to discuss things with you as well ! Welcome on board !

FELLOWLOGO.gif

Congratulations to our next Inductee LeonTrotsky ! Judas Maccabeus was his sponsor and you can read about it here !

Also , Update is 85% done . Will be up within the next hour .