• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
canonized said:
speaking of interviews , another interview will be up tonight ! I'm trying to catch up from the AARlander being cancelled this month .

My back's still been killing me and I think it's because I herneated a disc so It's been hard to write a new update ; it's about 70% done and will probably be up either on Wednesday , Thurs , or Fri . Hopefully sooner than later !

Excellent, looking forward to the interview and an update, take care with the back, it could turn into something really nasty, have you gone to the doctors about it?

English Patriot said:
Excellent, looking forward to the interview and an update, take care with the back, it could turn into something really nasty, have you gone to the doctors about it?

I've scheduled an interview with a chiropractor so hopefully that will prove to be fruitful . It's been steadily improving so thank you ! The interview will be up in a few minutes and then after the interview i'm going to start making those graphics for the 2 chapters that I did while I was on my laptop. Now that my desktop is back I can get back to making some more images .

canonizedgrubnessul.png

You’ve Been Canonized!: Grubnessul​

Good evening everyone and welcome to another installment of You’ve Been Canonized! our weekly interview segment here on Timelines which has been running since March! If you’re new to the program, this is where patron authors come and speak about themselves, their unique take on Timelines, and also to showcase their latest project, AAR, mod, or forum hobby! I’m your hosts canonized author of Timelines: What if Spain Failed to Control the World? and today’s guest is our good friend Grubnessul author of There might be Vikings out there! Or: how I accidentally traded my wife for a halibut . Let’s get to the questions!

Part I: Touching the Golden Helmet
Grubnessul opens up and shares his thoughts with us !

canonized: First thank you for being on the show ! Could you tell us a little about yourself ; how long you've been on the forum ?

Grubnessul: Thanks for having me, it's an honour to be part of Timelines! How long I've been on the forum? Well I've used the forum a bit for information back when I was playing EU2 mostly, but I really started to read and post there when I found out about EU3

canonized: You've just begun your first AAR , how does it feel ?

Grubnessul: For one part like the hardest piece of writing I've ever done, especially as I'm not really used to write something funny. On the other hand it's pretty fun to do and it feels good to add something to a community that produces such great stories

canonized: We just had coz on the show last week and he's one of the oldies , but as someone who's entered the AAR scene recently , how does the community feel in general to you right now ?

Grubnessul: The AAR (and EU3 community in general by the way) community is one of the best game communities I know of. There are a lot of dedicated writers who I think really support each other in writing but also a lot of people who read and offer constructive criticism. Seeing really respected writers like you reply in ones AAR really encourages to continue writing, especially when you've just started. That's what's really great about the community, it's friendly and supportive.

canonized: Speaking of the EU3 community it's part of the new wave of incoming writers and it's very encouraging to see new faces to shape the future of AARland ; what do you see your own role in the AAR community at this time ?

Grubnessul: Hmm a tough question at this time. I think I'm still mostly a reader rather than a writer. As I pretty recently started writing I haven't really found my style of writing yet. I guess I see giving a new view on some things and aspects of the game that aren't really used yet in AARs. And indeed try things out.

canonized: What has been your greatest challenge as a new writer so far ?

Grubnessul: Well, as I started with a comedy AAR, I think it's really tough to stay funny. The first few updates came out pretty easy, but to keep things funny is really difficult. In a history book AAR you can repeat certain elements or use a theme again, if you do so in a comedy AAR it just won't be funny again.

canonized: This is very true ; did you have any experience with humour before or did any works help to inspire your choice for a humour based approach ?

Grubnessul: I've never really wrote anything humorous before, that's one reason why I wanted to try it. As for inspiration, there are a few people who showed my that it was possible to do so, I think people like EvilSanta and Secret Master at a certain point triggered the first ideas for this AAR.

canonized: And lastly from this section , for those readers out there who might be thinking of writing for the first time or doing a comedy AAR for the first time , what would you like to say to them ?

Grubnessul: I think everyone you've asked this question before said this as well but: just do it! It's really fun to do and the community really won't laugh at you. For writing a humorous AAR, the hardest thing is to remain funny. Feel free to find your inspiration everywhere; also some things may seem less funny if you've read your own work for the third of fourth time, for people who never saw them before they can be really funny, don't be to harsh on yourself.

Part II: A Loyal Fan
We celebrate Grubnessul’s constant presence here at Timelines!

canonized: If anyone takes a look at the comment count on Timelines , they'll immediately see that you're at the top of the list as far as readers go ; you're also one of the first readers - what has kept you coming back to Timelines ?

Grubnessul: The best thing about Timelines is the way the characters are built. The way you've given them a face is really something to come back to, as you start to get really found of them. You just want to know how their trials continue. A second thing is the mystery of the timepieces. You've done a great job building up the mystery around them. In the beginning I would have expected to know by now what they're supposed to be, but I still wonder. So I guess the reason I keep coming back is a great story with well built characters and an intriguing plot.

canonized: You've mentioned how you identify with the characters; which characters stick out the most for you and why ?

Grubnessul: Well, general Grubby of course (but everyone knew that already ^^). But I guess your best persons so far are the Panzerkardinal and Antonio. The Panzerkardinal for his person, it's really interesting why he does what he does and what made him that man. I think reading his history in Protestant Germany was the second most touching moment in the story so far. Antonio is one of my favorites as well; he was really growing into the skin of an able commander and leader. I found it particularly interesting to see how he developed from a rookie into someone capable to lead his men against evil. I think the most touching moments was how he interacted with Isabella. It was interesting to see how that changed Antonio.

canonized: As someone who enjoys putting comedy in his work , what do you think about the some of the more humourous elements of Timelines and how have they helped your reading ?

Grubnessul: hmm I think it's a very good and refreshing thing in your AAR, the humour I tend to use in Vikings! is absurd, silly humour, that wouldn't fit in a serious story like timelines, the light references you use on the other hand really bright the story a little up, and they keep us, the readers, awake and looking for those Easter eggs ^^.

canonized: Although Timelines is a serious work , would you say that you need to be a serious person to enjoy it ?

Grubnessul: It depends, I think. Everyone who enjoys good stories and well written plots (and can read more text than usual) will enjoy Timelines. But if you cannot stand themes like the struggle between good and evil I guess timelines wouldn't be your cup of tea.

canonized: Now that we're entering also into our second season , what kind of expectations do you have ?

Grubnessul: Well, my expectations are twofold, first I expect some trouble for the Spanish Empire, it has expanded far and wide and must have made many enemies. My expectations are that the Empire will undergo some kind of reform to beat these enemies. A second thing I expect is more information regarding the timepieces, what they are and what they can do. Also I expect to see Tom again and I guess the trials behind him will make him more active. Acting instead of passively reacting on what's going on around him. I expect him to be more of a hero in the future.

canonized: What kind of advice would you give to people out there who might be intimidated by large text driven works ? What are your ways of enjoying the volumous chapters of Timelines ?

Grubnessul: Just take it easy, it's a lot of reading ahead but it's more than worth it. Just start out easily, do an update once every two or three days, pause between the different story lines, just relax, in the end you can read faster than he can update. Myself, I do these things as well, just reading in my own pace. Though as I'm studying law and a big Fantasy fan, I guess I'm pretty used to large amounts of words

canonized: Any guesses on what the timepiece is or does ?

Grubnessul:
In the story, I think it's an artefact with a purpose, I'm not sure why or by whom but they are there with a reason, as it stands now my guess is to either help Spain uniting the world or helping it's enemies to prevent that from happening. As a story element, I guess they're a symbol of human's free will, capable of doing either tremendous good or just being used for mass destruction. As it
Grubnessul:
stands now, that seems to be what the timepiece is capable of, destruction or uniting the world.

Part III: Vikings? Vikings!
Grubnessul gives us some sneak peeks about his hilarious new AAR!

canonized: As we alluded to before , this is your first AAR ; why did you decide to start on this particular project ?

Grubnessul: Well, I was toying around with the idea to write an AAR myself. In the first place I was planning to do a far more serious one before, until I got a particular idea I couldn't get out of my head until I wrote it down. As I said earlier, I've never really attempted to write something funny, so I decided to give it a shot.

canonized: Part of your humour that you've enacted might at first glance seem to be playing off offensive sentiments but in fact your humour extends to parodying the idea of offensive jokes so that you make a satire of that genre in itself ; how did you come to decide on such an innovative method ?

Grubnessul: I guess I didn't see that one coming. I think that it is my form of humour, I prefer a mix of dry and absurd humour, and also I’m not afraid of self-mockery. I guess that's what you see between the lines, I try not to take myself and my characters (too) seriously. Another thing is a lifelong influence of British humour like Monty Python, I think that has some great influence on the type of jokes I try to make.

canonized: Ultimately you also have gameplay features in your AAR ; tell us a little bit about the actual playing aspects that you've done for the AAR.

Grubnessul: My focus while playing was mainly twofold, on the one hand I really needed to create as many absurd situations as possible to keep my jokes interesting. On the other hand, Norway doesn't have the resources that I could just waste around making war against everyone. So I had to balance my play between doing stupid things (look at the number of times I declared war against mighty Austria) and not ruining my economy and thus the game in the long run.

canonized: Aside from the comedy you bring to the table , do you have an eventual final end plan for Norway in your work or perhaps a comedic climax of some kind up ahead ?

Grubnessul: I don't have a set goal yet, I try to make the ending at least as silly as possible but there is no set climax (yet) I'm working towards. It can very well end with an anticlimax no one saw coming.

canonized: Well then perhaps a sneak peek on what's to come , anything you'd like to share with your fans ?

Grubnessul: Hmm, that's pretty hard, at least I can tell you that the coming few updates are the best ones yet. Also I'm going to introduce some more lasting persons rather than only Harold (and to a lesser extend Thor) and that there are quite a few film and TV references I'm planning on using. As for those wondering why Harold is still around after all those years, I'm planning on revealing that as soon as I can find a way to incorporate that in the story

canonized: Speaking of your Kings , I remember you had some particularly hilarious titles for some of the lesser talented ones and the deadpan nature of some of your comedy really comes out in full force . What kind of preparation do you do to produce your updates ?

Grubnessul: The film parodying updates are things that just come up in a blink of the eye, they are there suddenly in my head and won't stop haunting me until I write them down, the Smithian economics and next update are good examples of these, others have seem numerous times of rewriting, putting them to rest for a few days, and again a full overhaul. The kings you just mentioned are mostly the second category. I'm not sure how I come up with these things; I guess I just try to think of the silliest thing possible.

canonized: And lastly , what kind of future AARs do you have planned after or concurrent with this one ?

Grubnessul: My guess is that I'll put the comedy genre to rest, at least for a time. First I’m going to finish the project I'm doing with kfijatass. After that I have another idea I want to try, though I'm not entirely sure yet who, how and what.

canonized: Well thank you so much for answering our questions , Grubnessul ! It was great to get to talk and get to know more about one of our close friends here at Timelines ! I’d also like to thank the readers for their attention and their patronage once again ! I hope it’s been as insightful for all of you as it was for me ! Next week we’ll be speaking with one of our newest friends TheExecuter ! For Aiur and good night !

Another great interview, good to see Grubnessel finally Canonized!

Another excellent interview, canonized. I've been meaning to get over to Grubby's work for some time, such was the hilarity I found the title, and this just pushes me even closer to that goal. Great job!

And Grubby - give me a couple of days and I'll hopefully be caught up. :)

English Patriot: Thank you , sir ! Yes it was a long time coming !

coz1: Thank you ! That's one of the great things I like about you , coz , you've gone through a lot of AARs . It's excellent to showcase new works and what not !

It was fun being interviewed, thanks Canonized! And I like the golden helmet.

Murmurandus: Thank you , sir !

Grubnessul: Could never forget the golden helmet ! It was truly my pleasure !

Oooh...

Nice ideas on the timepiece. Though I think describing only the result is a cop-out, I'm much more interested in their actual functioning :p

Avernite said:
Oooh...

Nice ideas on the timepiece. Though I think describing only the result is a cop-out, I'm much more interested in their actual functioning :p

The Timepiece creates a torroidal warp bubble fed by inverse tachyon emissions from the Keys so as to make a donut singularity capable of tunelling through spacetime ! Haha .. no just kidding . XD

But if you have all the keys activate, targeting one area in Space-Time, and the keys in the future do the same, they will open an anti-time distortion...
I gotta lay off the Star Trek: The Next Generation (theory ripped from final episode)

ColossusCrusher said:
But if you have all the keys activate, targeting one area in Space-Time, and the keys in the future do the same, they will open an anti-time distortion...
I gotta lay off the Star Trek: The Next Generation (theory ripped from final episode)

Ironically I was just watching TNG, hurrah for good taste! :D

ColossusCrusher: haha , that's actually where I got my little joke from !

English Patriot: Yes , TNG certainly has its merits . If it weren't so much secular humanist hogwash I'd watch it more often -- But I definitely want an Enterprise D and E bridge somewhere in my future mansion . There's nothing like getting mad at someone and instead of yelling at them , you will calmly say in your best Received Pronounciation : "Would you care to step into my ready room ?" Now if only I can get my future kitchen to look like Kitchen Stadium and have my chefs battle guests every week ...

So as not to start a flame-war, let's agree to disagree on the 'secular humanist hogwash' (I find American Evangelical Hogwash incredibly entertaining) and drop that.
Future mansion huh? With your future money?
Kitchen Stadium too? Why not get a Zoid battle going on too (semi-childish anime, the memories...).
Only the bridge? I want a life-size Enterprise! Or at least Q-powers...

ColossusCrusher said:
So as not to start a flame-war, let's agree to disagree on the 'secular humanist hogwash' (I find American Evangelical Hogwash incredibly entertaining) and drop that.
Future mansion huh? With your future money?
Kitchen Stadium too? Why not get a Zoid battle going on too (semi-childish anime, the memories...).
Only the bridge? I want a life-size Enterprise! Or at least Q-powers...

I don't find american evangelical hogwash entertaining ; i actually find it kind of scary . ROFL

Zoid battle ? I'm not sure what that is ...

Life size enterprise rofl . well Maybe .

Having just started this vast work it is going to take me quite a while to catch up...however, I DID read the very last thing...just so I can comprehend what others are saying. I am somewhat curious as to how Raul even got IN the city to see the Metropolitan? There must be some routes into and out of the city that the militaries on each side don't know about. Obvious church like ones, but obviously a Spaniard like Raul would have a difficult time moving within the city without being heavily cloaked, hood up and not speaking to anyone. I seriously doubt he could speak Russian with a true Russian accent. Since he was speaking to the Metropolitan in Greek it is my presumption that he doesn't speak Russian all that well...or that could be a subterfuge by Raul...Now back to the early stuff...God...all those pages....:)

Amric said:
Having just started this vast work it is going to take me quite a while to catch up...however, I DID read the very last thing...just so I can comprehend what others are saying. I am somewhat curious as to how Raul even got IN the city to see the Metropolitan? There must be some routes into and out of the city that the militaries on each side don't know about. Obvious church like ones, but obviously a Spaniard like Raul would have a difficult time moving within the city without being heavily cloaked, hood up and not speaking to anyone. I seriously doubt he could speak Russian with a true Russian accent. Since he was speaking to the Metropolitan in Greek it is my presumption that he doesn't speak Russian all that well...or that could be a subterfuge by Raul...Now back to the early stuff...God...all those pages....:)

Hooray ! Welcome on board , Amric , good to have you ! Haha , reading the very last thing , eh ? I always do that with books (although Timelines is far from finished) . As for Raul speaking Greek it's because it is implied in the chapter that the metropolitan is actually Metropolitan Andronikos from Season I and he was from Constantinople . I hope you enjoy reading and catching up ! If you've got any comments on previous chapters please feel free to let us in ! We'd love to discuss it !

I guess we'll be seeing Amric canonized soon!

The explanation of the way the timepiece works was quite droll. Is Raoul recruiting a new team or researching the timepiece. Spaniards walking around Moscow would stand out for wearing a conquistador outfit, if he were dressed as a Cossack, no-one would notice him.

Chief Ragusa said:
I guess we'll be seeing Amric canonized soon!

The explanation of the way the timepiece works was quite droll. Is Raoul recruiting a new team or researching the timepiece. Spaniards walking around Moscow would stand out for wearing a conquistador outfit, if he were dressed as a Cossack, no-one would notice him.

Recruiting a new team is right on the money ; well done , Chief Ragusa ! Yes , you are starting to the formation of Season II's cast of characters ! Next update will be either tonight or tomorrow ; i've already got a great one planned !