• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
A knackered back is never good, hope you get better soon Canonized!

Murmurandus: Fine fine , I'll at least release the interview tonight with coz XD

English Patriot & rcduggan: Thank you , sirs ! By the way , Mr. Woodhouse , the next chance you get on MSN I had a question to ask you .

Interview with coz coming up in a few minutes !

canonizedcoz.png

You’ve Been Canonized!: coz1​

Good evening everyone and welcome to this week’s You’ve Been Canonized! where we take a patron author and interview them ! Today’s guest is our local demi-moderator coz1 author of 40 Years On: Friedrich von Manstein’s Brandenburg . I’ll be your host, canonized, author of Timelines: What if Spain Failed to Control the World? Let’s get to the questions !

Part I: GunslingAAR Extaordinaire
Coz and I get down to business and talk a little about himself !

canonized:*so first I’d like to thank you for coming on the programme ! It's definitely a pleasure . I think it's only been once before that we've had a moderator on the show ! Could you tell us how long you've been on the forums , how long you've been writing AARs and how long you've been a moderator ?

coz1:*Thank you for asking for the interview.* Believe it or not, this is the first time anyone actually wanted to interview me.* I appreciate it, definitely.* I was actually around back when EUI was out.* I picked it up sometime maybe in late 2000 when I was looking for a PC version of Axis & Allies.* The game seemed interesting and I enjoyed it greatly.* I lurked on the forums during that time and was completely engrossed with Ariel's work - especially his A Little Something Different English AAR where he invaded the Northwest of Africa to use as a launching pad for a reconquest of France.* I received many strange looks from family members as I read that work printed out. I finally joined the forums in 2002 after EUII came out and started my first (and sadly unfinished) AAR with Dai Viet.* Then some personal things came up and I lurked again until the start of 2004.* I wrote For the Glory of Persia when I joined back up and then started the magnum opus known as Into the West.* I guess it was mid last year that Lord Durham brought me aboard as Demi-Mod.

canonized:*Not only are you a demi-moderator but you're also a steward or substitute steward for some of the awards and other accolades that go on in AARland ; could you tell us a little about those which you are involved in ?

coz1:*Well, when I started in AARland (before it was known as such) I learned from "the masters" as it were - Lord Durham, MrT, Warspite, Storey, Bismark, Director...the list goes on and on.* Secret Master too.* Definitely.* They had built this place we know and I really enjoyed the friendships and feel of the place.* It was more than just a place to tell people about their games and had become a little mini writers workshop.* Having always wanted to write, it was a natural fit.* They had started projects like Guess the Author and writer of the week...the bAAR...reviews of past AARs - really great stuff.* So when I joined back up in 2004, I wanted to foster that same kind of community since quite a few of the old hands had moved on. LD is still here thankfully, but he's had his fair share of medical issues and T has surfaced only a few times since then.* Sad really.* LD made me a bartender in what was the Vickie Tea Room (all the subforums used to have their own bar.)* Alexandru H and Amric were the bartenders in HoI and EUII respectfully and we all kind of joined forces to act as our teachers had done.* From there it was really a natural progression to running the WritAAR of the Week (started up again so that forum members could pick the next winner) and Guess the Author after Secret Master and Director moved on to other projects.* With all of them, I hope they have served the forum well and continue to create a friendly atmosphere that both entertains anyone that stops by and perhaps even educates on writing (with GtA) and a feeling of membership with the larger group (with the WoW.)

canonized:*Especially being someone who has perspective of time and has been involved behind the scenes of the development of AARland , what can you tell us about the present generation and its writers ?

coz1:*The present generation is wonderful on the one hand and sometimes frustrating on the other.* Much of the latter is caused simply by the place being so large now.* Even though we have all done a great job to integrate each game into a larger whole, there is still far too much separation for my tastes. It cannot be helped, to be sure.* With that said, the folks who are around now have really moved forward with the original idea and quite a few have started even more projects that continue the evolution.* CatKnight, Rensslaer and anonymous4401 especially have been instrumental in keeping the place fun and exciting and I would be terribly remiss if I did not single out folks like stnylan, GhostWriter, Chief Ragusa and Stuyvesant for being consummate readers of other's work.* To me, the reading is really more important than the writing around here.* And on that question, the writing has grown so much that many folks could truly be published - The Yogi, Mettermerck, Prufrock, Director, stnylan...I am really in awe of their abilities.* Today, the history book AARs are truly that - like textbooks or a good general survey, the gameplay AARs are fantastic in their use of screens and captions (and hilarious too), and the narrative AARs (like your own fine effort) have truly become literary rather than simply dabbling in the craft.

canonized:*What do you think is the future of AARland from here on ; the positive and negative trends ?

coz1:*Hmmm, the future...well, I would think it would continue to evolve naturally as it always has.* I know Paradox depends on AARs to help sell their games and I know from experience over time that there will surely be someone new coming along almost daily.* Even if all the old hands left, the place would not cease to exist.* But with the passage of time, quite a few new folks are not aware of what has gone on in the past and that is a bit sad.* It is natural for an online forum because peoples curiosity does not always lend to really researching the past so a lot of old projects (and great resources) tend to get left behind, much like finished AARs.* Always relegated to page three.* I presume the writing will only continue to grow, but I continue to hope that people will move from simply working on their own work and get involved in the larger group - by reading other AARs and giving others the same welcome and readership that they themselves get, and by getting involved in forum projects and initiatives to continue to foster that same group dynamic that has existed in the past.* One is always quick to lament the passage of "the good old days" but in truth, the good old days are upon us now and hopefully many more will be ahead.

canonized:*As I've noticed from your comments in different AARs , you also usually give critical advice to the authors which is actually a bit uncommon ; what is your aim in doing so and how has it enriched your experience as a ReadAAR ?

coz1:*Constructive criticism is a tough thing, to be sure.* When I first joined, there were many truly trying to better their craft and thus I got on that train, if you will.* I know I appreciate it when someone let's me know what works and what doesn't in my writing and I think it is important (at least for someone hoping to grow as a writer) to get good feedback.* I recall, as an actor, always getting great reviews but I began to wonder why I never got bad ones.* Surely I wasn't that good.* But I never really got anyone to be truly honest.* I hope that I have never offended anyone by doing so myself, and I always try to be constructive rather than simply mean.* And I usually do so when I sense the writer is really trying to further their craft.* That is entirely my aim since I would hope for the same type of advice (though I rarely get such anymore.)* But I do know that those that have taken such advice have truly grown as authors (and it's not just me that does it - others have in the past as well.)* It is truly wonderful to see someone start from a novice position and reach great heights in their work and I marvel at how good some folks have become.* I suppose the idea stems from that same mini writers workshop feel that Lord Durham especially created.* I can only hope that I serve at least half that purpose today.

canonized:*What do you think would be the best advice you could give to newer writers about the craft exercised in AARland especially for these newer generations coming in ?

coz1:*Read, read, read.* To me, that's the best way to get better if that's what you want to do.* It also has the added benefit (if you comment) to encourage another writer.

canonized:*(2:02:59*PM):*Although you've mentioned many writers earlier who would be ready for publishing , have you published anything or might you be thinking of publishing anything ?

coz1:*Other than self publishing (of sorts) on my blog, I have never had work published.* I do think about it but don't feel quite ready yet.* I am still perfecting my ability and habits especially so that one day I might actually be able to.* I certainly would like to and have been told by others that I might have some success at it.* And I have tried a few times to get some work published with online magazines and such.* Even had one picked up last year before the group folded unexpectedly.* LD and Mett had submissions accepted to that as well.* Sad really.

Part II: Critical Coz !
Coz gives us a few thoughts on Timelines .

canonized:*I remember when I first started Timelines you had to go on a hiatus of some sorts shortly after and didn't get to catch up until later on ; how did your impressions compare when you first glanced at it and to when you returned close to the end of Season I ?

coz1:*Well, I must be honest and say it was not quite what I expected.* Not worse or anything, to be sure.* Just different.* I guess I was expecting some type of treatise on the differences in the worlds of world conquest and the flip side.* Instead, I got a ripping yarn that keeps me both confused and entertained.* Pretty decent tradeoff if you ask me.

canonized:*Was the length of the work a problem for you ? I know you're an avid reader and you've definitely gotten a large set of subscriptions but I know many readAARs especially contemporary ones might be intimidated by large works .

coz1:*That is most defintely true and I have been the victim of that myself many times.* I guess that's why I try and plow through some gargantuan works from time to time.* But I've always done that.* When I read Ariel's work, it was already pretty lengthy and I know for a fact that when I read quite possibly my favorite AAR ever on these fora - MrT's L'eminence Grise, he was well and truly near the end so there was much to poor through.* I knew your work was long by that time but I also saw that you had been helping out around the forum and had joined in with anonymous to publish the AARlander.* To me, that work deserved recognition or at least a form of appreciation, so I put forth the effort to read through your work.* I feel terrible that I have yet to do so for Draco Rexus (if you are reading this Draco - I really do apologize!)* It's not easy to devote time towards reading a longish AAR but it is so rewarding once one has that I will always try to do that if I am able.* And I am a big believer in reciprocity.* If someone puts forth the effort to read through my work, I am going to do my damndest to repay them that favor.* It's only fair.

canonized:*Since you have read through so many AARs through the course of your time here in AARland , what would you say are the unique aspects of Timelines ?

coz1:*I think for one, your integration of that "anime" feel you mentioned in your feedback to me once I had commented.* It's not an artform I have ever particularly appreciated but it is surely not because I think there is anything wrong with it.* It's kind of like Star Trek - I loved the original series and the movies, but I never became a Trekkie...or is that Trekker?* I can never remember.* Also, your movements between the different times has been well executed.* Though that technique has been used before, you have proven to be a deft hand at it and it is quite enjoyable to read.* I'm not always sure how it is happening, but the meeting of the two lines is truly fascinating.

canonized:*Well , thank you ! The movement of time has truly been a theme in a lot of works and especially comparisons between the past and the present although I didn't know that at the time that I started writing . What do you think you've enjoyed the most about the work so far ?

coz1:*Probably the characters.* In my own writing, that is what I have the most fun doing and so I really appreciated when I see someone else creating rich characters.* And goodness knows you've done that with folks like Cardinal DeWitt, Renault and Isabella especially.* And even though I have already mentioned to you that some of the "in jokes" like the Time Warp and such could possibly be better integrated into the work, I must admit it provides a sense of humor terribly inherent in the work.* Others have done so with songs (Fiftypence did that with Beatles songs once and given my diehard love of the Beatles, you can imagine I was well entertained with that one.)* As well, you truly have a talent for writing.* That's why I gave you more constructive criticism after reading through it.* You have a great grasp of the English language and I do so love that.* Nabokov is my favorite author and that is entirely because he understands how words work...which ones need to be used to paint a portrait...and how to integrate them together to make some really lovely sentences and phrases.* I really and truly love a good turn of phrase.* Sounds silly, I am sure, but it's the truth.* When a sentence rolls of the tongue, it's like eating a fine meal or tasting really good wine.* It almost feels sinful.

canonized:*Haha , well that's certainly interesting about you ! But thank you ; Now that we've ended Season I and are moving into Season II , the cast of characters will naturally change as a consequence of the storytelling of such a long timeframe ; how does the cohesion of the story work for you so far ?

coz1:*Well, as far as season II getting off the ground, it's probably too early for me to say.* I will say that the characters and storyline are no less enjoyable to read and I am presuming (like all good TV shows and such) that the throughline will maintain.* Just don't go all X-Files on me and start asking more questions than are answered.* Man, that gets frustrating.* Keeps 'em coming back for more, but every great now and then it helps to give a few things away.

canonized: Haha yeah , I too have gone through the frustration of the X-Files questions though I think as Legolas suggested there's facets of Babylon 5 that he sees coincidentally and I think that it would be that series' cohesion that I'll go after in the long run . You mentioned earlier the characters ; do you have a favourite ?

coz1:*Yes, Cardinal DeWitt and Renault.* I recall that for a while you were not using Renault and when he finally returned, I was quite pleased.* I guess they seem to have more a three dimensional quality about them than some others.* And I definitely enjoy the folks from the earlier timelines, most likely because that period is more interesting to me than modern times.* See, there's that almost History major again.

canonized:*Any guesses on what the Timepiece is ?

coz1:*I knew you would ask that.* Heh.* Well, I know I am certainly wrong on this, but it seems like some sort of device that allows for time travel or a linking of the two worlds/timelines.* Or at least allows for some control over such.* Other than that, you've got me blissfully ignorant on that score

Part III: 14 Questions On: A Look at Coz’s Brandenburg
Coz gives us some great insight into his latest work !

canonized:*First of all I wanted to note that your AAR was one of the first in the EU3 category ; what brought you to start an AAR for EU3 ?

coz1:*Well, having been around for awhile, I knew that getting in on the ground floor (so to speak) is usually good for readership and comments.* And like any writer on this or any other forum, I am a comment whore.* I love them and want as many as I can get. As well, the true purpose of any AAR is to give advice on the game, whether the writer intends to do so or not.* Thus, I hoped to provide a good gameplay template that is now, of course, obsolete given the recent patches and extension in the form of Napoleon's Ambition.* Finally, I had been planning on starting an EUIII AAR ever since I heard they were releasing the game.* Initially I wanted to do a sequel to my Quest AAR from EUII (and may still one of these days - Goldfinger is raving to get out of his box.)* Then I considered the project that I just started with the Wars of the Roses (given the time frame of the games start, it seemed a natural.)* I ended up starting 40 Years On really out of a lark. I wanted to do a more gameplay oriented work to keep it simple and help provide some advice and once I got the game going, the idea of it simply flowed out.

canonized:*Well certainly although the 'template' as you said might be a bit outdated it is still a popular work . I think part of it is the personal nature of the narrative instead of a more meta-view so to speak of a player describing his actions . Why did you choose to have that particular narrative style ?

coz1:*Creativity certainly.* There are so many "I did this and I did that" AARs, I wanted mine to stand apart and be a kind of half narrative/half gameplay AAR.* I've written personal gameplay accounts and had fun doing so, but for this one I wanted it to be a cut above if at all possible.* Thankfully, me readers seem to like it and I am eternally grateful for that!

canonized:*Would you list any particular works that you perhaps might have been inspired by to write this epic about Brandenburg or perhaps any particular authorship that affected your style ?

coz1:*stnylan definitely!* His ability to master chronicle writing (due to his study of such at University) is really wonderful.* If you've never read his earlier works in EUII and CK you should.* I hoped to do some of the same knowing I would not be able to truly do it service as he has done.* Other than that, the style simply seemed a good way do write it up - from the view of advisors and every now and then a general/leader if the name was convenient to use.

canonized:*I think I’ve only been able to read his In Memory of France and ever since he's been out due to some issues I’ve been trying to pray for him recently in my intentions . Well , I had also meant to ask about your ambitions as a player . Although you expertly convey a sense of timeliness and insertion into your story , ultimately this has strong gameplay qualities . What was your philosophy for playing as Brandenburg in a nutshell ?

coz1:*First, I have probably played Brandenburg/Prussia in every game save Vickie (Prussia is just too much for me in that game) and HoI (because strangely enough, I never bought that game.)* When playing Brandenburg, it is important to survive the early years when Poland and Bohemia (not to mention Sweden and Denmark) want to gobble you up.* As well, I have a fairly calm manner of playing, never trying to expand too quickly but taking as many opportunities as I can.* In the initial version of EUIII, it was actually pretty easy, especially due to the ease of gaining the HRE crown (which I always tried to do in EUII as well.)* The manpower bonus of being HRE really enabled me to do all that I was able to accomplish in game.* And I tried to have fun once I got so huge.* Make my wars purposeful, you know?* The reconquest of Constantinople was a must.* Unfortunately, I waited too late to go after Burgundy and France which is a reoccurring failure in my games.* I tend to get a bit scared of going after those big boys mostly due to the tediousness of those wars than anything else.* But I should have pounced on France early and destroyed them.* The end game might have been a bit boring though, or at least more boring than it already is.

canonized:*Do you plan on conversion to another game perhaps after this ?

coz1: Before continuing, I should also mention the titles of stnylan's work so others can check it out if so inclined - the CK AAR is called A History of Lord Roger de Courseulles and his successors - a Somerset AAR and his first AAR in EUII is MonAARstery Chronicles: A Musovian/Russian AAR.* Both are in their respective librAARies.* His All Alone in the Night for EUII is pretty damn good too. As for conversion, I doubt it.* I soured on Vickie some time ago, I am sad to say.* The game just doesn't do it for me.* And like I said, I don't even own HoI and am not likely to by this point.* Rather, I hope to get back to The Eagle in Winter when I have a chance and certainly write the just started The Wars of the Roses AAR in EUIII.* That's the one I really wanted to write initially and I am really excited to finally get started on it.

canonized:*Ahh , yes . You have many works going on simultaneously . Brandenburg/Prussia is a very popular country . I know from reading your particular AAR although it may seem like the motivation is mainly for land grabs you also infuse many appropriate goals such as the creation of Germany . Tell us a bit about the mood of your work; the atmosphere that's created by your diction and voice that convokes the idea that it's not simply for the sake of grabbing land but through an actual goal

coz1:*Ah, yes.* Well, like any good empire, I hope to create an ideal world.* Human nature being what it is, however, often times that goal gets corrupted. I suppose that with 40 Years On, I ended up creating some pretty power hungry Kings/Emperors but have always tried to play it that they were simply fulfilling their destiny or some such.* Like recently in the AAR the war with Burgundy was a direct result of Burgundy's own actions toward Brandenburg/Germany.* Of course, in game, it was simply trying to make the borders neat, but I am too much of a storyteller to just say that.* It must seem realistic to me if I am going to write something interesting.* And even during actual game play, I tend to roleplay whether I mean to or not.* That's the beauty of the Paradox games.* I do love them so, thus my tenure on the forum. I cannot recall a time I was playing a game and did not think of some storyline I could use for an AAR. And I am not the only one that does so.* It is maddening actually, because if I followed up on every whim to write the story I think about, I would have a million abandoned or stalled AARs.* As it is, I only have one currently in that state.* But even with that one, the story was just so good, I couldn't let it go.* And I firmly plan to finish it someday.* As I have often said, an AAR should be properly concluded, even if you come in and say you simply don't wish to write it anymore.

canonized:*What kind of plans do you have for future AARs aside from the ones you currently have ?

coz1:*For future plans, I have already started the Wars of the Roses AAR.* With that, I hope to do a narrative account much like Into the West.* The characters of the time are just so interesting to me and provide such wonderful material.* It's going to be fun to write, I suspect.* Other than that, I hope to finish Eagle in Winter, as I said.* And if time and ability permit me, I'd like to do the Quest sequel if I can manage it.* As well, Director and I have been discussing a joint project for probably two years by now.* We may or may not get that going.* In the end, when and if the mood strikes, I may start another one somewhere and in someway.* But eventually, I need to move towards writing something away from the forums.* And I actually have a couple ideas for that.* One is a Napoleon saga in which he returns not through France but in Poland.* And another involves a profane priest and a prim and proper general in a love triangle with a native woman in early colonized Georgia.* No idea when I'll get those going however.

canonized: Well thank you once again for being on the programme with us , coz ! It was certainly a pleasure and an honour ! Whether it’s a colonial romance or an epic general’s rise we wish you luck in all your future projects ! Thanks again to our audience for joining in for this week’s interview and we hope to see you all next week when we interview our good friend Grubnessul! Good fight , Good night !

Last edited by a moderator:
A brill interview as always Canonized, I'll be on MSN for you sometime tomorrow, or I'll just keep an eye out if you have a specified time :)

STTT....aaahhhh!

Thanks once again for a look at another great author on the board. I think I like this section of your AAR the best...and its not even related to the story! I love getting a closer look at some of the writaars around here...and it also is a great way to direct me to unread works so that I can fulfill the unmet desires of other comment whores! :D

Thanks again!
TheExecuter

that reminds me i was reading 40 Years On at one point i am going to have to catch up on it.

canonized if you are still wanting it converted into a pdf just e-mail me the word file if you have it and i will convert it and will send it back as soon as i have noticed it in my inbox. Like i said over msn if i say i will do something i will its just a wustion of when :rolleyes:

I enjoyed doing the interview quite a bit. Thanks again, canonized.

Now where are those updates??? ;)

Ouch canonized, good luck getting better!

And nice to see you manage to write on despite all that :)

English Patriot: Sounds good , I'll look out for you !

TheExecuter: I'm very glad to have you enjoy it ! the interviews are very fun for me as well ; allows me to read a lot of new AARs every week . Very happy to do it for ya'll !

Murmurandus: Thank you , sir !

ladybug: yep ! i didn't forget ; but as I noted before I won't get my desktop until Monday so I won't even have the canon copy of timelines until monday but I'll definitely give you a ring when all my stuff finally arrives !

coz1: Very honoured to have you on the show !

Avernite: Thank you ! Back problems are so tough when you have classes too ; not to mention having to write updates ! XD update will be coming tomorrow i'm already 50% done with it !

Hey I was chatting to one of my friends who I don’t see often over msn and I remembered that he plays guns and told him that you stuck a fighting style from it in this so I found a part that had it and gave him the like and he liked it.

I don’t think he will read the rest of this as he doesn’t read much but though I should pass on what someone though who has no clue about AARs, EU or Paradox.

it was this part he read
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7146087&postcount=836

ladybug said:
Hey I was chatting to one of my friends who I don’t see often over msn and I remembered that he plays guns and told him that you stuck a fighting style from it in this so I found a part that had it and gave him the like and he liked it.

I don’t think he will read the rest of this as he doesn’t read much but though I should pass on what someone though who has no clue about AARs, EU or Paradox.

it was this part he read
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7146087&postcount=836

haha , Gunz is a fun game . Though I can't say I ever got into it , I'm afraid . I'm better at real time strategy than I am at FPS or things like FPS .

UPDATE COMING NOW !

chapter61tile.gif

Chapter LXI: Novgorod​

March 15, 1607

“You certainly have a daring plan, Colonel Santiago.” the calm whispers of Raul were both hopeful and unimpressed. It was not that the sprawled about maps held down by various weights with iron figures placed here and there did not strike a sense of military enthusiasm in Raul, but it was already the staple of the Spanish military machine to be innovative and direct.

“The Russians will believe us to have blundered our supply routes and thus hope to contain us for the winter,” Colonel Santiago explained to his lieutenants. “It will be then that they will opt not to face us in the field until they have surrounded us.”

“The question is if your five thousand horse and thirteen thousand foot can breach the defenses in time to find safety in the winter,” Raul pointed out without much fanfare.

Although the lieutenants in attendance fully knew the office Raul held, it did not stop them from sharing a common mistrust against this conjurer of shadows. “As far as I can tell,” Santiago responded to Raul with an unexpected swagger, “His Eminence has entrusted this operation in your hands as well, Raul. It would be a pity if this was your final assignment.” Calling out the other young man’s name seemed to sizzle the sensitivies in the room enough that Raul straightened himself up in the rocky boat’s seat with no little indignation.

Even before Raul could return something in opposition, Santiago was already pointing out cavalry deployments along the decoy supply routes. “What makes you think you could speak to me like you’re so much older,” Raul had wanted to say. It was, however, in this dimly lit war council surrounded by lieutenants of rank that Raul understood his inferior position. It would be different if this meeting was in the deeper bowels of their flagship where his quiet sentinels awaited his orders that he would have held supremacy.

It would be no matter, Raul consoled himself. So long as what Santiago told him about who was there in Novgorod was true, there would be no abuse he would not suffer for the sake of getting one step closer to solving the almost twenty year old riddle. Indeed, after the gunpowder fiasco, he needed a new lead. As his eyes wandered about the chamber, he betrayed a small grin. How petty, he had thought to himself. Engineering an empire in the swaying lamps of a sea deck’s hold. Do none of these men understand that there is a greater hand that pushes their destinies than merely their own designs? Raul had at least one thing greater than Santiago, he mused to himself, the fact that he understood that something larger was placing a veil over the world that they know. Someone in flowing scarlet was protecting the secret face of the Silent Room. The Disappearance meant more than just a loss of talent -- more than just a freak accident. Although agents and even those of the highest rank succumbed to the inevitabilities of death or capture, it usually was not accompanied by the annihilation of an entire city. The Disappearance, indeed, was exactly what its name implied…

---​

March 18, 1607

The vast array of armored men rose from their kneeling positions having thusly prayed to the Lord of Hosts for victory against the schismatic inheritors of the perfidious Khanates-- or so the popular rhetoric went. Santiago surveyed the assembled mass and could not hide his pride. Already, there were no signs of prepared Russian vessels to challenge their landing and they were only an hour away from storming the beaches of the Latvian coast. Gazing upon the eager eyes of his fresh soldiers, he then turned towards the chaplain which had just lead their prayers and had applied the necessary absolutions.

Perhaps it was the Silent Room’s idea of humour that they had assigned a priest from far away Japan to serve as chaplain aboard the flagship. East to defeat East, perhaps, but it was hardly Santiago’s place to question the Silent Room’s assignments. There was always some design there that he could not and most of the time cared not to discern.

“Father Uematsu, would you care to say anything to the men? It’s always been customary in my corps to have our chaplain deliver some encouraging words,” Santiago invited.

At first, Santiago thought that the stoic Asian priest had not understood what he said in the moments of silence that accompanied the invitation. Father Uematsu did not even give any acknowledgement and Santiago almost asked again before the priest stepped forward once more.

“Spaniards!” he called out to the men below. Although an accent was present, the largesse of the voice diminished any misunderstanding. “I am honored to be present here on this momentous occasion; and doubly honored to have your commander allow me to address you all. These past weeks of travel on sea, I have come to know many of you personally and although I am of foreign blood you have welcomed me as your chaplain.”

It was true, Santiago thought, despite the difference in appearances, Father Uematsu had been a diligent and pastoral figure among the crew. In fact, he thought, the man seemed almost doubly efficient in his work than most priests he had known from the Peninsula.

“They say,” the priest continued, “that converts make the best zealots. If that is so then you may count me as one of you. For not only have I been called to promulgate the One True Faith, but I also have been called to serve in the campaigns of our great nation! Much like many of you,” and here the priest pointed towards the multitude gathered, “French, Dutch, German, Italian, English, even some from my own corner of the world and those from the New World; we have gathered today not to fight for the sake of our blood-- but for the sake of our adopted mother, our alma mater, our motherland who is but a shadow of the greatest of our mothers, the Church and Mary in the Church!”

The young colonel could not help but notice the resonance that the man acquired throughout the ship. Indeed, the commander was forced to look down upon the men that he had trained and maneuvered with. He could remember many of them by name and could already tell which one had been born an Occitan, a Parisian; those from Amsterdam and Leibniz and Florence. However, just as their chaplain had said, they were united in the silver sheen of common armour and stood entranced under the fluttering high banner where lions, castles, and eagles spread against the sky.

“Therefore, I am proud to be your chaplain! I am proud to have you as my spiritual children. “Surgite!” the Latin call to rise seemed to string a taught chord among the entire line in the surprising tone it was given. “Ardente veritate, urite mala mundi! Ardente veritate, incendite tenebras mundi!”

There was a general cheer at those words and it spread like the fire it invoked all over the ship. “Surgite!” the priest called out, “Liberi Fatali!”

In the din of enthusiasm, Santiago watched the calm and stoic priest step back and lower his head as if suddenly retreating into prayer. The colonel’s astonishment could not be hidden and even his heart was ready to leap at the call to Rise. But perhaps this was the genius of the Silent Room’s designs. He looked out once more at the cheering of his men. The men of the World, he thought, crying out as one lead by a priest on the other side of the globe in rallying to a common banner-- this was the secret plan of the Silent Room-- this was the genius of Spanish domination. Truly, there would be possible to have One Emperor and One Pope.

It was also not the first time it had occurred. Ever since Carlos I installed the Burgundian court into Spain, such great figures from all over Europe had attended to the care of the motherland. Cardinal DeWitt from Germany, Commander Renault de Fronsac from Bourgogne, and General Schenkhuizen from the Netherlands were all part of Carlos I’s Burgundian court before arriving in Madrid. Now in the reign of his successors, that court was expanding…

Actually, before leaving Amsterdam, Santiago reminisced on having talked with the famous General Schenkhuizen who had been retired from service for nearly ten years to that point. Unfortunately, when asked for any advice on the approaching campaign, the aging Dutch war hero would only give him passing dictums and generalizations. His demeanor was so different, Santiago thought, since the earlier days when he had studied under that man.

“You are the next generation of commanders,” he had remembered General Schenkhuizen say to a group of young officers once so many years ago. “One of the strengths of our great nation is its firm hold on tradition. We have a faith which has been with us for more than sixteen centuries and it has grown and adapted while maintaining its identity. Thus it will be for our military traditions!”

General Schenkhuizen had a great voice then-- which was in sharp contrast to the quiet man he had visited in Amsterdam a few months earlier. It was as if the energetic campaigns of such a voracious commander had finally caught up to him even at the relatively old age of his forties. Santiago had come to know the general through the visits to the training grounds that the war hero had undergone ever since the conclusion of the first campaign against the Ming.

“Why do you fight?” Santiago remembered the general had asked him during one of the inspections. At first, Santiago had been stunned by the question but, as if by instinct, he had replied that he fought because he must protect those who cannot or must not. It was this simplistic answer that sparked their friendship and Santiago’s mentorship under such a huge figure.

“You remind me of someone I used to be friends with,” the General had told him once. It was probably why Santiago had been so privileged to be taken under the man’s wing, the colonel thought. “He had the same drive as you did,” General Schenkhuizen went on, “he was both simple and complex at the same time and he was a great friend to me.” Santiago had not dared to ask who it was, but he had some guesses. He knew that the General had been a victim of that great mystery which became known as The Disappearance. Perhaps this was why Santiago had told Raul about the one who lived in Novgorod-- something which he had heard in passing from General Schenkhuizen. The old general was too tired to pursue his long lost friends now, but perhaps someone younger and more ambitious could fulfill the dreams of an old man.

---​

June 5, 1607

Upon the spires that climaxed into exquisite domes, the metropolitan see of Novgorod was presented as a beauty of the Russian renaissance. Iconic figures gilding the ivory walls and golden domes expressed the beauty of the East. Although clouds of smoke billowed around its white beauty, it continued to stand defiant at the heart of the trading city holding out in hope of winter when the snow would blanket the streets and extend the cathedral’s shining walls all over the land like a bleached mantle emanating from its golden crowns. Then, the building would almost said to the intruders, would you all be crying for sanctuary within the warmth of my city.

It was within this citadel of the East that Alexei sought refuge from the incendiary without. Alexei was certainly young, but his youth had its advantages. Despite his beard not being as impressive as those of his older colleagues, his ordination at the age of twenty five still counted him as an equal among the elders of the see. His dark attire did well to hide the soot that was beginning to form from the wandering ash.

“Alexei! You’re back!” someone said with an echoing exultation. It was this similarly dark figure approached him. “Quick, what news from Moscow?” his brother asked him. Alexei did not slow his step.

“I must see the Metropolitan,” Alexei urged almost dramatically as he did not slacken his pace towards one of the portals on the far end of the church.

“You can’t do that!” the other trailing him called out as he tried to catch up, “He is still ill…”

“This is very important,” Alexei insisted.

“Even so… he’s already in a meeting,” the statement came out almost reluctantly.

“A meeting?” Alexei stopped himself to turn around to his colleague. “With who?”

The other man’s face although it was older than Alexei’s seemed to cower into a sort of embarrassment. “There are just some things that you cannot ask, Alexei…” was the response. It was a calculated response taking the form of an obedient slave attempting to correct his master. Despite Alexei being the junior, his connections in Moscow imparted a presidency to his opinions. “The doors will be barred to you, I apologize.”

Before the young priest from Moscow could utter an objection, the other priest scurried off as if suddenly sensing the danger. Alexei could not move from his spot; the Spaniards were shelling the city, Moscow would not be sending help until the winter, and the Metropolitan who, though already ill, is meeting someone whom even Alexei could not know about. It was as if everyone was conspiring to hand over city to the Spaniards. Alexei took another look towards the doorway which would lead into the upper rooms and then took a step towards it. He did not achieve his rank in the service of the Czar because he had been cautious…

---​

“Is it alright for you to be meeting with me like this?” the coughing old man managed to say in his best Spanish sitting up from his bed. Despite being in the confines of his resting place, he was still in the beautiful regalia of his office; as if it demanded to be so in the presence of his guest.

“There are some things which are more important than this petty grab for land, Your Excellency,” the man from the shaded end of the room replied not in Russian but in Greek. “You’ve done well for yourself, it seems.” The last statement by the tenebrous figure was almost sarcastic.

“Please,” the rasping sickly voice managed with much effort diverting the subject, “tell me how is my friend Julio…” it was apparent in those shaded eyes that the older gentleman in the room was in great pain but the prospect of hearing news from the West seemed to give him a rising spirit.

“Father Julio is well,” the man in the shadows replied, “after he returned from his mission with you, we granted his request to retire.” The metropolitan on the bed looked away at those words as if the very mention of what had occurred during their journey brought a fiery glaze over his already crusted eyes.

“He was a brave man to have accompanied such an old soul such as myself through all that. It was good of you to finally give him rest. I fear that although he was so much my younger, that what happened to us on the way to Moscow would have drained the life out of him.” The metropolitan quickly looked back to the shaded man after he spoke pleading with terrible eyes for further news.

“Trust me when I say that the gravity of what you both--”

“No, my son… I don’t mean to be rude but do not appear to presume to have understood what we had seen or undergone. Undoubtedly the worst of what happened Father Julio did not stomach to tell you or your men of the Silence…”

“My apologies…” the man in the shadow quickly added but continued nonetheless, “either way we awarded him with the lands and title of Count de Guzman after an investigation after The Disappearance implicated the man of that name to have been a traitor. I hear that Father Julio has even adopted the orphaned boy and his mother. A special dispensation for all of his hard work. I even hear that the mother might become a religious. He has only a small parish to deal with now and even then he won’t be the pastor.”

“Good… good the older one said while allowing himself to rest against the bed suddenly relieved. “He truly needed that…”

“Though I am a bit surprised that you chose the opposite direction for yourself, Your Excellency,” the man said quietly. The metropolitan looked up towards the visitor with tired eyes; the serenity of his gaze almost belied the bursting rooftops outside as ordnance rained from outside the walls.

“You may have an abundance of priests to throw around on your side of Europe, but we here are short on bishops. Furthermore. Moscow is still unsure about what to do with the Key of Saint Andrew… in many respects my work is still unfinished.”

“It is for that reason why I’m here, Your Excellency,” the man said lowly cutting to the very essence of his tone. The metropolitan wearily gazed towards the young outline.

“If you believe that you have found the end of your trek, you’re mistaken, I’m afraid. From here on, your search for the truth of what happened and what will be happening is just beginning. But I have already given you everything you need to know to move forward in that parchment so guard it well…”

With that, the shaded man motioned a quick nod before walking towards the rear window. Passing by the edge of the metropolitan’s bed, however, a sickly hand took hold of his passing wrist. “Forget everything, Raul,” the older man gasped gazing intensely into the man’s downturned eyes. “turn back! There is a reason the men of the Silence have chosen to keep their secrets of The Disappearance… Abandon this fool’s hope for the Key-- Father Julio and I… everyone. We thought we understood what they were, but we were wrong… So terribly wrong!”

The stiffened Raul listened to those words allowing their almost gargling emphases to roll goosebumps up his spine. “I will not be turning back, Your Excellency,” was his simple response. At that, the older man released his deathly grip and rested back into his bed.

“Then perhaps someday when I am better; if you are able to return, I will show you those horrors which we had foolishly unlocked… Those faces which I hope to exorcise from my dreams.”

interlude2.gif

Interlude​

After Taguchi managed to rise back up into the apartment, Pablo had already opened up his textbooks on the kitchen table and the diligent silence of studying finally seemed to add a sense of stability to the whole disturbing situation. What did Hayato mean that he was coming over and with who? Those thoughts seemed to wander through the myriad of problems lumped on his otherwise simplistic life today. It was only that afternoon that he had been laughing with his professors.

“Finally done talking with your girlfriend?” Pablo said while his face was still hovering over his books. It forced a slightly annoyed smile from Taguchi.

“That’s not funny,” Taguchi replied from behind his meek smile. He returned to his backpack to assess the kind of damage that his room mate had done to the exceptionally old tome. Leave it to Pablo to make passing comments: Taguchi’s mind wandered to the very crutch of that joke-- Shiori. Ever since Taguchi broke up with her, he had vowed never to date again-- something which Pablo continually made fun of him for. “Look at this… this binding must be at a hundred years old…”

Pablo, as if suddenly brought back to the reality of his entranced carnage looked up from across the dining table to where Taguchi was tending to the scraps on the couch. “I’ll take responsibility for it,” Pablo suddenly said despite still being leaned forward on the table. His eyes, however, drooped in a kind of submissive stance while continuing to thread a sense of resolution from cheek to cheek. It was the kind of expression that strangely always comforted Taguchi. “If you want, I’ll go over to the Uni with you tomorrow and--”

Pablo stopped long enough to look over towards the hallway. At first Taguchi did not catch it as he was rummaging through his backpack but he nodded his head up curious as to why Pablo was cut short only to find him staring down towards the stairwell area. Quickly rising from his feet and stepping into the middle of the living room to see out towards the stairwell hall, he discerned a drooping figure and a stranger’s face atop it. That’s when Taguchi realized his mistake-- in his contemplations, he had left the door unlocked.

Chapter LXII: Unlocked (coming soon)

Last edited:
Excellent update as always Canonized! I was sure Father Uematsu sounded familiar, and then it hit me! Nobuo Uematsu! and Liberi Fatali! Great stuff haha :D

I've just caught up! :D
goodness! the end of the first season, the disappearance or erosion of all those who were Spain's bastions of strength in the 1580s, the drooping figure at the very end makes me think that Sio-Pan is still running amok... :eek:

Bah, I need to brush up on my Latin, I couldn't read it all :(

But still, nice scene. So what horror happened? Is alexei seeing the disappeared in his dreams, or is he rather seeing the enemy?

I think the metropolitan might be the man the Spaniards seek. He certainly seems to have some vast knowledge of the events and why. Also, Santiago has already learned well under his tutelage.

So who is this mysterious stranger? Surely they want the book. ;)