• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Nick has a point, i'd never mess with a beefy cardinal; not with all that history of the black monks (or what ever they wre called). With their staffs they were vicious. And this one is built for fighting... but then again that is just what the LAPD like ;)

robou said:
Nick has a point, i'd never mess with a beefy cardinal; not with all that history of the black monks (or what ever they wre called). With their staffs they were vicious. And this one is built for fighting... but then again that is just what the LAPD like ;)

Haha , well , the LAPD are a bit fearless and this is the era of modern weapons so we'll have to see how our favourite Cardinal fares XD

Sorry for the delay in the next part ! I had a test and a paper due on the same day so it was a bit hectic this weekend XD . It didn't help that we had Bang! parties too .

moonlanding1.png

Season III Prologue Part IV​

Trey wasn’t paying too much attention to the television when he heard the news about another dead student. After all, what did some case thousands of miles away from his Boston dormitory have to do with him? School shootings were happening all the time these days and gawking at some screen wasn’t going to magically finish his multi-variable calculus homework.

“The third victim in what has been dubbed the ‘Dormitory Assassinations,’” the faint voice of the square speakers attempted to communicate, “was yet another heir of a wealthy Californian family who had been attending a private college on the west coast. Sources inside the Vancouver Police Department inform us that with this most recent killing done outside of California, federal investigators are now involved although official sources are still reluctant to link this most recent murder to the still ongoing investigations on the deaths of Carlos de Guzman, heir of the powerful Guzman family from Fresno, and Lara de Fronsac, the heiress of extensive San Franciscan estates.”

Trey shut off the screen and tossed the remote control onto his small bed tucked against the corner of the dorm closest to the window lest he might be tempted to activate the small flat screen display again. He needed to desperately get his multi-variable calculus finished if he wanted to work on anything else that evening and, he promised himself, he’d get his history essay done before his room mate Randall returned from the campus pub.

Although he wasn’t half bad at mapping spirals and all the other crazy mechanics of high math, his first passion was still—although a bit secretly—the study of history. He had even thought of changing his major from Law and Criminology to History—in fact, he wondered what he was thinking at all when he signed up for Law and Criminology in the first place… He shook his head with a sardonic smirk as he scribbled a few more integral equations into his notepad before a knock on the door interrupted him.

Trey looked up to the poster of St. Francis on the inside of his door—something his room mate had put up only a few days ago; he himself still had not completely settled in even though it was already two months into the semester. The box carrying his violin, for example, was still tucked underneath his bed. “Who is it?” Trey called out cautiously watching the doorknob as if at any moment the knocker would burst in without warning anyway. Trey fought back the sensation to recoil—something he had been doing for a while now, he reminded himself.

A voice responded from behind the door almost in the same spot where the right eye of St. Francis was posted against the archaic wood of the barrier. “It’s Avi,” the voice said, “Avi Teckhart.” Trey recognized him immediately: it was the RA. “I just need to do a quick maintenance check on your heating vent,” the man said from behind the door.

“Sure,” Trey relaxed a bit, “come in.”

The door wafted open unceremoniously and Trey took a moment to keep his eyes on the doorframe as if it may not have been who the man said he was. When he recognized Avi (they had seen each other during orientation), he relaxed into a greeting smile. Avi was older then Trey was. He was a graduate student and already probably twenty two, but he had a thin frame that hid behind casual Polo attire. Although taller, Avi slouched forward slightly—perhaps because he was used to always talking down to others. Glasses rounded about the young man’s features; they were oval shaped though not flamboyant and had the uncanny ability to deflect light to whoever was looking at him more often than it should.

Despite the small tilt of his body, Avi was not an unattractive man. Although Trey might have thought himself better looking, Trey was still more on the ordinary side. Avi, on the other hand, had sharp features that made him seem like a geeky supermodel. Avi gave Trey a small nod before finding his way to the opposite side of the room with a screwdriver already dangling from his fingers. “Have you been getting any trouble with your heating lately?” Avi asked as he loosened the screws with a creak; apparently the faded metal vent cover hadn’t been opened for decades.

“Not so much,” Trey replied taking a moment from his work to watch Avi investigate the inside of the box tunnel with a small flashlight, “It hasn’t gotten cold enough yet for it to turn on.” Trey saw Avi give a silent nod before Trey turned back to his calculations.

“I heard your first paper proposal for your history paper was rejected,” Avi suddenly said. His voice reverberated through the opening in the wall and reached Trey’s ears like some lost ghost. Trey’s pen stopped working and he looked at the curve of his “dydx” before answering.

“Yeah,” Trey replied as casually as he could while keeping his back to the RA, “Dr. Fitzgerald said that someone already published a paper on that particular subject before and he wanted me to write something more original.”

“I think that’s a lie,” Avi’s voice snickered. “What you were writing was just too seditious to put into the school’s history journal, that’s all. Fitzgerald wouldn’t risk getting the school into controversy over that.”

Trey sat still in his chair; those were exactly the words he had told himself when he was rejected, but he already had an inkling that it was going to end up that way, anyway. He turned towards Avi, however, only to be shocked to see the RA on his floor with his back against the wall and the open vent next to him sealed up with stark blue eyes staring Trey down with a grin. “How do you know it was so controversial?” Trey tried to say, nearly stuttering.

“Natasha told me; she’s Fitzgerald’s TA and she proofread your paper before handing it over to him,” Avi said. Trey immediately thought of the beautiful young lady always present in the classrooms with Dr. Fitzgerald. Her long black hair fanned out in his mind for a millisecond.

She read my paper? Trey thought to himself trying to hide a smile.

“Natasha’s a fellow editor of mine in the campus newspaper so we were talking about it,” Avi further explained while getting up with an exaggerated huff. His tall craning frame slowly approached the doorway once again.

“I am writing a new one, you know,” Trey found himself blurting out as if he needed to justify himself. Perhaps his instincts told him to challenge the embarrassment of Avi knowing about the paper—perhaps, unconsciously, he was still thinking of Natasha. I should be working with her, his mind whispered to himself. Avi stopped at the doorway, but didn’t turn around. “It’s not going to be about Perpignan, though,” Trey explained, “I’ve decided to shift my focus instead to the 1640s… to the Dutch Rebellion.”

“Hmm…” Avi let out turning around. In the light of the hall, Trey could not see the RA’s eyes behind the infamous glare of his glasses. “So instead of the Empire failing at Perpignan, you’re jumping a hundred years ahead?”

“Yes,” Trey said with some pride starting to well up, “I’ve already gotten my research done. The new title is going to be: ‘A Change in Seasons: What if Spain Failed to Stop the Dutch Revolt?’”

Chapter XCIV: The Dutch Revolt (coming soon)

Hmm, I detect bad times for Trey; just a little niggle at the back of my head. This Dutch revolt sounds awful intresting, though... more!

How long is this prologue?!

So you're killing off the previous "present" cast, while bringing the previous "past" cast to the (for them) future...it's a time-antitime anomaly captain!

Dutch revolt huh? sounds fun :p

But Lara's dead? o_O

Someone going after family heirs... there's DEFINITELY something more behind this. And I know how college life can be, especially papers. Especially history papers, since I'm a history major. Of course, I don't have to worry about the culture and politics of this timeline, so it's not all the same. ;)

robou said:
Hmm, I detect bad times for Trey; just a little niggle at the back of my head. This Dutch revolt sounds awful intresting, though... more!

The Flanders war will be fun XD

Avernite: haha , the dutch will have to choose side ! Schenkhuizen loyalty or rebellion ! boooooo

ColossusCrusher: Haha , well you also have to remember that Antonio , Isabella , Nia , the Cardinal etc are still in the 1980s . They won't reach the 'present' time for a while XD

comagoosie: thank you , sir XD

Grubnessul: That's what the report said XD surprised ?

Judas Maccabeus: yes indeed ! Time for the present day cast to graduate from high school to start their college careers ! :D

Well, more sad than surprised :(

Grubnessul said:
Well, more sad than surprised :(

Just minor surprises here and there XD We'll get to the major surprises in the actual chapters !

canonized said:
Just minor surprises here and there XD We'll get to the major surprises in the actual chapters !

The biggest surprise has already happened: There was a Dutch revolt, but even so Spain still has an Empire.

Obviously the Spanish gave in so completely to the Dutch silent rooms that the Dutch were content to rule in the shadows.

Avernite said:
The biggest surprise has already happened: There was a Dutch revolt, but even so Spain still has an Empire.

Obviously the Spanish gave in so completely to the Dutch silent rooms that the Dutch were content to rule in the shadows.

Haha . The Dutch/Spanish dynamic is really beautiful . I love it XD

Lotus-6 said:
Excellent prologues... can't wait for actual chapters

thank you :D It'll be out in the next few days !

Also , just a status report : I'll be on retreat this weekend so we'll probably have just one update before the weekend so I'll try and make it good XD

Chapter 14 Summary: Maze of Mecca​

Davout's Salient Facts said:
Chapter 14 Maze of Mecca

Old Time: Isabella and Jakob go for a walk in Osaka. They are joined by Antonio and Sweet. Antonio announces he is taking them to an onsen (Japanese for "shower scene") for Sweet's birthday (everyone deserves a wet Isabella for their birthday). Isabella stops the carriage as she sees 3 men beating a boy. Fight. Win. Jakob treats the badly injured boy. In Mecca, Renault evades 2 crocodiles and a sword thrust to swim to safety. He enters a corridor which leads to a chamber. There are inverted towers in the roof of the chamber. The towers move up and down in response to hot air. Renault moves a brazier under each tower which pushes them up and unlocks the next door. A voice in latin booms from the other side.

Now Time: Tom & Rodrigo are in a Lions' safehouse in North Carolina. They work out the chain of collecting keys and foreshadow war with the Ottomans in 20 years after 1582 to collect the Constantinople key. They talk about Renault facing the Guardian protecting the Persian key.

Game concepts: Words - canonized likes them. Whether it is a love of alliteration or long, vivid, sensuous, vibrant, reflective, shocking descriptions of sense, feelings, thoughts and scenes, the text starts moving into overdrive from this point on. canonized is a simile wrapped in a metaphor within an analogy.

In game comedy: Noted obsession of some players of Hispania Universalis to recreate the Byzantine Empire.

Shower scenes: Well, we would have got Isabella at the onsen if it hadn't been for that darn kid.

Chapter XIV said:
“So, you see,” he began to explain, “with the capture all thanks to Akechi, he was able to set up our troops in key castles while having our weapons ready.”

Jakob watched Antonio diligently as the story was being explained to him. “But what if Akechi had proved faithless?” almost embarrassed at the novice remark.

“That’s simple,” Antonio grinned leaning back against his hopping seat, “If the Armada that was hiding offshore didn’t hear from us in the next month they were to bomb every major coastal city until the chaos would be so immense that we could escape.”

October 27, 1582

Scene 1: Isabella and Jakob are strolling around Osaka admiring the view. They meet up with Sweet and Antonio. Antonio apparently invited all of them and he says how he's going to take them to a local onsen (Japanese hotspring with special attributes). It is revealed that it is Jakob and Sweet's birthday.

Scene 2: During the coach ride, Antonio is explaining how they used Akechi to have the 'captured' troops be stationed in the correct places for combat to take over key castles and the backup plan in case that failed. Isabella quickly notices, however, something going on off-road and they stop the carriage. They all notice a boy being beaten by men in the tall grass. The men are dispatched and Jakob begins treating the child's wounds.

Scene 3: Renault abandons his makeshift snorkel only to find himself in the water with two crocodiles. He unsheaths his sword as he evades the first lunge and begins to swim towards the three exits deeper into the chamber. The crocs begin to flank him on either side. Renault wounds one as it attacks before finally climbing out of the water. The other croc retreats. Renault then goes into another chamber where there are braziers on the floor and what seems like an up-side-down city scape on the ceiling. He notices that the towers and up-side-down minarets above him are moving and so he places certain braziers in certain positions that allow the upward hot air to shift the loose towers upwards causing the entrance to the next part to open. A fireball bursts out at him.

Interlude​

It's five days after the 'abduction' by the Lions of Meissen and Rodrigo and Tom are talking about their theories of the Timepiece. They are being kept in a safe house in Norfolk, North Carolina. They talk about the old expedition to Mecca to get the Timepiece and about the Keys corresponding to the Patriarchates. Rodrigo also talks about the ancient guardian the Persians set up to guard the Timepiece.

Chapter 15 Summary: The Guardian (coming soon)

Last edited:
canonized said:
Also , just a status report : I'll be on retreat this weekend so we'll probably have just one update before the weekend so I'll try and make it good XD
It is ok, glad to know you have a life :D

I'm kidding ;)

And yeah summaries! Bringing back good ole memories!

comagoosie said:
It is ok, glad to know you have a life :D

I'm kidding ;)

And yeah summaries! Bringing back good ole memories!

Haha yes XD and Summaries bring back memories for me as well especially re-reading those parts XD