• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Lotus-6 said:
Belated congrats on the new awards! Keep it up.

Thank you , sir :D

AlexanderPrimus said:
Well, so much has happened (so much for me to keep straight).

Your story is excellent, and I eagerly await Season 3 (with fear and trepidation).

;)

Thank you :D We'll definitely try to deliver !

Just a status report . Here's what we have for our lineup and estimated times of release for inter-season participants !

First up we'll have English Patriot entering with his work sometime today (let's hope ! That lazy bum XD)

Then we have Estonianzulu coming in next two days or so after that

Then we'll have General_BT's two days or so after that one

phargle would be next afterwards since he's been busy the first week !

Also expect a new soundtrack disc coming soon thanks to AlexanderPrimus !

Lots more authors lined up for the showcase and if I haven't talked to you about writing for the showcase yet and you want to send me a PM asap ! We'd love to have you on :D

Fiftypence said:
Looking forward to the Inter-Season updates. :)

So am I :D

phargle said:
The pig hasn't got any sentences.

haha cryptic ! either way congrats on finishing your epic !

Heya everyone, and welcome to the first of the guest author bonuses! My particular series of bonuses run on from the Woodhouse History chapters, written by canonized some time ago, enclosed are links to each chapter if you need to refresh your memory or catch up XD

Bonus Chapter 1: Enter Woodhouse
Bonus Chapter 2: Round of 16
Bonus Chapter 3: Semi-Finals/The Date
Bonus Chapter 4: Adolescence Apocalypse (Finale)

Enjoy!
-------

setsailtilehp0.gif

Chapter I: Set Sail!​

1st November 1575, The Academy

Bevan shuffled down the corridors of the academy, a cold wind blustering through the marble cloisters. He was supposed to be in bed, and was quite happy to stay, until he remembered his assignment for Señor de Fronsac. The essay was his own pride and joy, he had worked on it in between training and competing in the fencing tournament that had put him in this predicament. Wound be damned he thought, he had to show Renault this paper. He kept it under his bad arm, clamped tight to his body, using his good arm to navigate the various doors on the long walk to de Fronsac. He found de Fronsac in his office, surrounded by a stack of papers and several copies of Dante's Divine Comedy. He felt guilty about handing in such a weighty piece as his own, Renault seemed overwhelmed. Bevan inched himself through the half open door and grunted as his shoulder bumped against the door frame. Renault looked up from behind his desk and flashed a quick smile.

“You're supposed to be recovering Señor Woodhouse.” noted Renault as he returned to reading.

“I brought you my paper, sorry it's a bit late.” Bevan began to feel dizzy and propped himself up against the door.

“Don't stand on ceremony, sit down before you fall over and hurt yourself... again,” Renault gave a playful laugh at the end of his invitation.

Bevan slumped down in the chair, and mumbled a thank you. There was a moment of silence as Bevan pulled the set of papers out from under his arm and handed it to Renault who began to thumb through it.

“The Suicides?” Renault queried.

“Yes, it was the most intriguing for me, I hope you'll find some of the points enlightening.” Bevan watched the professor glance through the paper.

“And your conclusion?”

Bevan took a sharp breath as pain flashed through his shoulder. “It's a denial of one's own nature, suicide I mean. The dead forest, the rerouted river, the trees are the suicides of the world, cut off from the life-giving river, cut off from nature itself, by their own admission.”

Renault nodded thoughtfully, he opened his mouth to speak but instead turned his eyes to the growing patch of red on Bevan's shirt.

“The scab has broken again, let me get help, my boy.” Renault crossed the room and called out into the corridors. Bevan could feel hands press more bandages against his opened wound as he felt himself drift off to asleep...

---

Bevan spent the rest of the day in a delirious slumber; dreams came and went, and waking hours became fleeting moments. When he awoke properly, it was the afternoon of the 2nd of November, and he was in the infirmary once again.

“We have to stop meeting like this.” A familiar voice lilted towards him.

Bevan shifted slowly from his side and met Elly's gaze. The back of his head throbbed as he tried to focus his eyes. He could only mumble in agreement. Bevan wasn't one for the infirmary at all, a lie in was always welcome, but it was nice to get out once in a while, but his visit to Señor de Fronsac probably scuppered any chances of getting out for a while at least.

“Eat up” Elly passed him a hot bowl of soup. Bevan lay the bowl down on his stomach and dragged a spoon through the food suspiciously.

“Don't worry, I took most of the vegetables out!” Elly giggled, Bevan smiled and set about eating. “So, good news or bad news?” Elly asked.

Bevan lifted the bowl to his lips and drank greedily, it was only when Elly offered him the food that he had remembered how hungry he was.

“Good news” his mouth still full with soup.

“Manners” she chided, “Well good news then: Señor de Fronsac was very happy with your paper, so I think that's everything wrapped up here for you.”

Bevan nodded and continued to eat.

“The bad news is that our timetable has been moved forward, and we're going to the New World in a few days, so heal up, and don't go wandering the halls again.”

Bevan paused for a moment, “So, two days? Does that mean you'll get me more soup?” he grinned.

“We'll see.” Elly took the bowl and walked out of the infirmary.

4th November 1575, Cadiz

The Cadiz harbour still served an enormous amount of traffic, even at this time of year, amongst the forest of galleon masts, Bevan and Elly's ship was moored awaiting it's passengers. Both had wrapped up to protect from the cold. Elly was almost completely hidden by a thick cloak that blocked the chill that blasted through the docks. Bevan's own cloak was battered around him by the wind constantly revealing the finer clothes worn underneath and the sheathed rapier strapped to his side.

Bevan had made most of his goodbyes back at the academy, Declan came to Cadiz to see them off, and to attend to some business of his own, the three of them walked from the streets to the pier and got ready to leave. As they approached the gangplank, Bevan turned to face Declan. He was hit by a sinking sensation in his stomach. He had spent so long in Spain, learned the language, the way of life and made friends, the academy had become home. California seemed to be at the ends of the earth, and this time Declan wouldn't be there to keep him up prepped. The realisation must have hit both of them, for they stood in silence for a time before Declan stepped forward.

“Well, good luck Bevan” Declan and the Englishmen shook hands on the windswept harbour of Cadiz. Bevan winced as he clasped Declan's hand, his wounds sustained against the Royce fellow still plagued him, despite the rest Elly had granted him. Bevan still held deep misgivings about the voyage to California. An Atlantic voyage in winter was not a great thing to attempt, and secretly, he wanted more time to recover, his shoulder still ached in the cold chill and itched continuously. However, as much as it pained him to admit, Elly was in charge, and Bevan was there to keep an eye on her.

“Pray the wind sends us in the right direction, old friend.”

Declan grinned, “I will, and look out for each other, you'll need to.”

“Goodbye Declan, and good luck.” Elly bowed her head.

---

A favourable wind guided the ship from the harbour of Cadiz, and it didn't take long for the Santiago to begin moving out of harbour and towards the open seas. Per Elly's instructions, they had taken passage aboard a merchant galleon headed for the new world, and the port of San Augustin. The galleon itself was a large hulking vessel, indicative of Spain's power in the seas, it's huge billowing sails propelled the ship at worthy speeds. Though it's real strength lay in the culverins that bristled along the broadsides. It was common practice to outfit such ships with defensive weaponry, the move to arm the ships to this extent was brought on by the northern rebellions, and the increasing piracy that came with it.

Bevan kept a look out as best he could, though his eyesight was not as sharp as he wished, the Englishman still felt it his duty to at least try and be of some help. Elly had withdrawn below decks complaining of a rising sickness. Bevan felt it too, but not because of the grey seas that tossed about the galleon. Instead, he was plagued by the idea of his country, fighting against his adoptive home. He had long been a unionist, and his time in Spain had taught him things he could never have learned, had Spain not risen to the fore, but despite all, he was an Englishman, part of him felt that he had betrayed his nation, another part reassured him that his generation would build a greater more united Europe. Even if it was under Spain's hegemony. The wind fluttered around Bevan, as he stood on the aft castle in contemplation. He had stayed on deck to keep a watch out, but in reality, his eyes stared blankly at the peaking waves surrounding them.

Several days passed before Elly felt well enough to venture out onto the deck. By this time, the shores of Europe had long disappeared and the Santiago was now utterly surrounded by a sea that was alternately calm and tempestuous. All in all, the ocean didn't offer much entertainment, and the pair stayed below decks. In an attempt to get his mind off of the northern rebellion, Bevan buried himself in his books, but was in a distractable mood for most of the time. Elly spent so much time reviewing maps and thumbing through stacks of paper that he felt compelled to enquire.

Bevan peered over his book “So, what are we doing about Schwarzschild?”

“I told you, investigating.” Elly kept her eyes on a map of New Spain.

Bevan rolled his eyes and stayed silent for a moment. “Alright, I don't suppose you'll tell me why?”

The ship creaked and leaned to one side slightly before righting itself. The pair both waited in silence for another sound.

“Because I was told to.” Elly finally answered.

Bevan scoffed, “Fine, fine.”

Elly shot him a quick glare and went back to her notes, Bevan returned to his book. Obviously she hadn't quite recovered, he thought as he mindlessly scanned the text. The books weren't helping him take his mind of things, and Elly wasn't really up for conversation. Taking a nap seemed like a good idea at this point, Bevan flicked his eyes to Elly before throwing his book on the table and stumbling across the lower decks to reach his hammock.

Bevan's dreams were invaded by the sound of bell ringing and muffled shouts from the top deck, and he was jerked awake as small hands grabbed his good arm and shook him.

“There's something going on, Bevan.” Elly stopped shaking him and craned her neck towards the stairs.

“Hmmm?”

“I need you to go find out.”

Bevan tried to roll over, but instead Elly pulled him back and clapped him on the head, her second blow was stopped short as both heard the sound of a distant shot echo across the sea. Bevan's eyes flashed open, his blue staring into Elly's.

“Hand me my sword and Wheel lock.” Bevan sat up and flung himself out of the hammock. Another cannon shot rang out in the distance, this time the Santiago fired back with a solitary cannon. Bevan strapped his belt around his waist and shoved his wheel lock pistol behind the thick leather. More shots erupted above the deck and both could hear the spray as the cannonballs hit the water.

“Stay down here!” Bevan shouted as he leapt up the wet stairs.

“Like hell I will!” Elly raced after Bevan, her dress hitched up in one hand, she grabbed Bevan's belt with the other. “You can't protect me if you run off Bevan.”

It was dark now, but the attacking ship was illuminated by the inconstant flash of gunpowder as it fired upon the Santiago, the Spaniards hurried about on deck, returning fire and attempting to manoeuvre for a better position. Bevan ran to the railing and leaned out, straining his eyes through the smoke he looked for a flag on the enemy ship. His heart sank when he caught the flag of St. George fluttering against the night sky.

The decision to fight with Spain against the English rebels was a quick one, despite the days he had spent agonising over what would happen if something like this were to happen. He had been charged by God, Spain and the Silent Room to protect Elly, they wanted someone who was willing to take up the sacrifice to go do such dangerous task, and he would give his very life.

The ship continued to fire sporadically as it closed. At this point it seemed more intent on boarding than moving for a better firing position. The English ship was smaller and quicker, but from what Bevan could see, better armed. The crew of the Santiago also seemed inexperienced, at least in Bevan's young critical eyes.

“Elly, the deal was I make the sacrifices, you must go back to your cabin, please!” He shouted above the roaring wind.

Elly took a second of staring into the determined eyes of the young Englishman before reluctantly nodding her acknowledgement and retreated back to the lower decks, Bevan took the time to perform last minute checks on his pistol and ammunition, the enemy was picking up speed, the flash of gunpowder and crack of the cannon were now completely in sync.

A forward cannon spat out it's shot at the Santiago and tore into the front of the hull spraying the air with splinters and shrapnel.

interlude2.gif

Interlude​

22nd December 2078

“It's enormous...” Isandro remarked as he looked the giant machine up and down. He was lucky enough to have found a small ledge on which to lie and watch the ships dock at the colony ports. He was even luckier to have slipped through the numerous barriers and guards that kept civilians away from this sort of thing.

Isandro la Garbosques had been left on colony B3 by his father almost a month ago who apparently had to return to close some important business back on Earth. In truth, Isandro had sort of phased out when he last talked to his father. Since then he had tried to amuse himself, but life on the B colonies was pretty boring. The B colonies were used as residential areas for the A colonies and attached to provide easy transportation. As a result, side B colonies were often incredibly boring, and very quiet, at least for Isandro.

The ships completed their shipment quickly and began the process of releasing the umbilical cords and ramp locks. Isandro took one last look at the military hardware standing in front of him and began to sneak back out of the dock area.

It only took a few minutes of well timed dashes and hiding in shadows before Isandro was back out into the generated light of the colony. Most of the important parts of the colony, like the docks or the military garrison were hidden by the rows of white civilian housing and incredibly green lawns. Isandro, as nonchalant as possible, made his way to the waiting Roamer parked just down the street.

“Find what you were looking for?” Dolores leaned round from the driving seat and watched Isandro saunter down the road.

“I think so.” Isandro nodded as he jumped into the passenger seat.

“Well good, can we do something fun for once? Enough of your politics.”

Dolores pushed the pedal to the floor of the Roamer and it set off down the road. B colonies were always unnaturally clean Isandro thought, and the roads were always quiet, most people travelled using the intercolony monorail.

“It's not supposed to be fun, it's supposed to be enlightening.” Isandro sighed, Dolores had an unbelievably short attention span.

“And so? What was so enlightening about it?” Dolores turned a sharp corner and started heading towards her house, she was desperate to alleviate the boredom of playing taxi to Isandro.

“Well for one, the government is stocking up on military supplies, and they've got a new weapon.”

“Oh yeah?”

The Roamer pulled in to a silent cul de sac and Dolores parked it outside her house. All the houses in B3 were identical, clean, spacious, with big windows and open plan layouts, it was enough to drive her mad. Isandro and Dolores got out of the car and walked inside.

“Yeah, something like a Mecha or whatever, did you ever see that anime?”

“Which one?”

“I dunno, they've all got them in, anyway, the point is, they've basically got these giant humanoid tanks in the docks!” Isandro exclaimed, he'd been waiting to get that out for a while, but to Dolores it seemed a bit anti-climatic.

“Huh.” Dolores tucked her dark hair behind her ears and checked the refrigerator.

“Well I thought it was cool, and besides, why has the military got these things on a B colony, and why haven't they said anything about it?!” Isandro was beginning to get frantic.

“Doesn't your Dad know about that sort of thing?”

“Ah, he's gone to Earth again, they make him work weird hours.” Isandro shrugged.

Dolores rummaged through the fridge for a few moments more before emerging with a small pot of yoghurt.

“Isn't it a bit strange, your Dad leaving you again, when we're fifteen?” She asked between mouthfuls.

“He's coming back, just not for a while, besides, I'm fine, and your parents are still here.” Isandro paused for a moment, “So you're really not bothered by these things at the docks?”

Chapter II: El Draque (coming soon)

Man , thank you again for agreeing to do this for our inter-season showcase . An amazing start to this new season of the Woodhouse dynasty :D . Looking forward to more ! I hope everyone also leaves their comments for good ole Woodhouse !

Giant humanoid robots. We do love our robotic killing machines.

Estonianzulu said:
Giant humanoid robots. We do love our robotic killing machines.

Haha yes , yes we do XD

AlexanderPrimus said:
Wow...

The Woodhouses come to Timelines!

Amazing! :D

Haha yeah , we've had a long tradition of the Woodhouses paying us visits XD

Greetings all. I just arrived, after seeing Timelines all over the AAR forums for nearly a year I decided to give it a read.
I was hooked after the prolouge.
To start with, Congrats to Canonized. It would seem that this AAR is well worth the time to look into. The awards speak for themselves.
I have a question. I, alas, do not read well from a screen. Is there a place I have missed where I can download and print the AAR in its entirety? Cause that'd really help.
If not, I'll just start to read I guess. I'm looking forward to it.

AlexanderPrimus said:
Hmm, and with the Timepiece, anything is possible...

Silvagenus cameo, anybody?

:p

ROFL maybe ! it could be possible !

Fiftypence: I really hope he can get a new update out soon XD i'm enjoying the spinoff myself !

comagoosie: Haha , and this is one of those situations where I don't know what's coming up either XD

Raaritsgozilla: Thank you , sir , very much :D . And you have no idea how great it swells my heart whenever a new reader comes out ! I'm afraid we don't have a pdf copy or anything of that sort although we've been working on it . Feel free to copy paste each chapter onto a word document and print it out ; it's what a few have done already . And please I do hope to hear your comments as you go along :D We enjoy hearing comments about previous chapters as much as the latest ones :D

Estonianzulu's piece debuts tonight !