• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
chapter94tile.gif

Chapter XCIV: Maverick

A Timelines Easter Special​

Two Months Prior to Tom’s Final High School History Exam

“Therefore, the difference between Magical objects and Christian relics is what?” Sr. José asked at the front of the class.

The religion class of St. Ignatius of Loyola High School sagged underneath the collective weight of the afternoon weather. In southern California, even on the coldest of months, everyone felt a communal winding down after lunch. Tom Royce scribbled on his paper as the usual suspects of know it alls raised their hands. It was not that Tom Royce was bored from his studies. In fact, most of the time he would have to struggle to maintain the grades expected of him on the exams. Indeed, his scribbles—although admittedly intermixed with random drawings and musings—were fastidious in taking down as much as he cared to listen to from Mr. Joseph their religion teacher. Instead, he just was not in any particular mood to raise disdainful eyes towards the front and help educate tomorrow’s Catholic youth from his Protestant mouth.

“Señorita Perez,” the teacher called upon the young girl at the very front of the class who had held up her hand like a lightning rod attracting the quick eye of the young man turned high school educator in the front.

“The essence of magic is that the matter forces a Divine reaction that does not usually happen. Christian miracles are the Divine forcing a reaction in matter that does not normally happen,” the young lady dutifully explained with an alacrity in her voice that made Tom close his eyes only to roll them inwardly.

“Excellent, Señorita Perez,” Sr. José acknowledged. “Can anyone tell us anything more?” There was a tenuous pause. It was true that most of the class made sure to do their homework but rarely do these follow up questions gain too much hold over the overworked senior class. Sr. José was infamous for ambushing his class with these explanations. “Señor Rodrigo,” the teacher chose again this time choosing the tanned young gentleman sporting a lugubrious frown.

“Magic is the attempt of man to gain mastery over God whereas Christian miracle is the complete master of God over all matter,” the young man explained more in the nature of a sigh than an answer.

Sr. Joseph looked on at the young man who answered correctly but noted the frustration in Rodrigo Jimenes’s face. He had already expected it there, however. Rodrigo was a rather intelligent young man; and to be expected from someone who comes from such an illustrious and hard working family as the Jimenes. Nonetheless, Rodrigo had answered after the long pause only to get the class moving rather than for any form of self-pointing attention. That was the burden of Rodrigo’s intelligence; he knew all the answers and wanted to move forward.

“Correct,” Sr. José acknowledged. “Thus that is why there are no magical objects in the world; only objects which God decides to channel his will through. An object may have a history or a just cause to be venerated as miraculous but the miracles only come through God’s willingness to impart such a grace; never as the matter itself forces God to act. This is the same in the sacraments— Sr. Royce?” the instructor suddenly realized that Tom’s hand was raised.

“How can we tell the difference before an object of great and inexplicable power and that of a miraculous or even magical object?” he asked curiously. “I mean even we Protestants believe in miracles,” and here Tom made sure he gave that point out—any way of evangelization was a legitimate way for him to advertise an otherwise suspected religion—, “but how can we say that an object that is miraculous isn’t actually an item of which science today can only grasp at?”

Tom Royce had always been a maverick. He chafed against the local authority at times although never in a personally insulting way. His questions were always calculated and, perhaps, much like his resolution never to be bitter over the peaceful conversions of his fellow Protestants at the hands of the Spaniards, he wished to start his own Evangelization through objections raised intellectually. It was questions such as these that dominated his High School career. It made him the notorious but by no means token Protestant, but it also meant that exposure to any holes in the Catholic monolith at the school would be explored by his deep belief in the rightness of his variant of Christianity.

“This is why,” the teacher began after giving a pause to think about the questions carefully—he had long learned to be very careful with his responses to their resident Protestant lest Tom attempt to trap him on his words alone—, “many miracles are investigated by scientists to make sure they are authentic rigorously and especially by the non-Catholic scientists. That is why many non-Catholic scientists are hired by the Vatican in order to seek findings on miracles.”

“But what if today’s scientists cannot explain an object or phenomenon but scientists three hundred years from now can? Wouldn’t that make the whole thing a farce?”

“Not at all,” the professor responded, “this is exactly what we mean when we talk about the power of miracles only coming from the Grace of God. If people are granted grace through an item, then it is God’s will and if it is through natural reasons, then it still serves as a testament to the magnificence of God’s creation.”

“That’s a bit of an easy way out, don’t you think?” Tom asked without a hint of sourness. His earnestness hid any disdain or contempt in the question—he promised himself that only civil discourse should win the day. If the Spaniards showed them that much courtesy he would return it.

“If a man prayed for a miracle to save him from an incoming storm and he held onto a holy relic which dispersed the storm, he would thank God for the salvation and people might attribute a power to the relic of some kind. However, if it was found out a week later that the intense amount of ions in the relic caused the atmosphere to disperse, it would not invalidate the fact that the man’s prayers were answered. You have to understand that although some miracles do indeed happen, perhaps an even greater miracle is the fact that God can plan since the beginning of Time to allow miracles to happen by natural causes.

“For example, it would take an amazing genius and/or computer to be able to calculate that five balls falling down pegs would all crash in the middle by moving each ball over the appropriate slots at the appropriate positioning to do so. In the same way does God allow for seemingly random choices that people make converge into his Divine plan. Who here has watched the movie Magnolia?” A few students raised their hands, “In that movie we saw many random events converging together and all weaving a common story. It is the same way with God’s will. Thus, if a miracle happens by natural means, we should still be in awe that the prayer that we were going to make at point X in time was answered already at X = 0. That it was set up in the very fabric of the universe.”

A few of the students sighed a kind of aw at Sr. Joseph’s words that caught Tom off guard. Even he admitted that the reasoning intrigued him. In fact, it intrigued him enough that he began scribbling some more on his paper. “An object that was intended by God to have the power to bring his plan together,” he wrote down. All he needed now was to give it a name.

---​

One Month Prior to Tom’s Final High School History Exam

Lady Clara grinned at their newest director. “It was so good of you to accompany us for this little soiree,” she expertly purred while leading him into the room dubbed the Cardinal’s Room.

The St. Agnes Mansion located in the foothills of Tustin, California had been part of the Scarlet Academy since nearly two decades ago. Although most of the organization’s main resources were an online affair, major players continued to headmaster the organization in the most old fashioned of ways—through cordial conferences in close quarters and in opulent mansions.

It was a former convent which had been bombed by Eastern American insurgents during the Great War and abandoned by the order of Carmelites that had inhabited her noble walls. When the war ended, the wealthy men and women of the Scarlet Academy’s highest tiers bought the property and rebuilt it. It was even redubbed a “Mansion” as opposed to a Convent. Graced with a mixture of modernist architecture coupled with the vintage style of the early turn of the century, the mansion itself was an impressive architectural wonder of nearly thirty rooms in total in the shape of a regular rectangle. There was even a trace of a graceful garden with a statue of Our Lady of Perpetual Grace on the front lawn and a muscular—strangely enough—figure of St. Francis in the back yard which contained enough lawn to host a golf course.

Within this fusion of old and new was the Cardinal’s chamber. It was not that the room was the main room of the mansion nor was it even a shade of red on its furniture—although some of the flourished furniture indeed shone a dull hue of red—but it was because it was in this room that the directors were always entertained—and ever since the end of the Great War, they had always been Cardinals.

“It was good of you to bring everyone together, Lady Clara,” the director responded as he stepped in copy step with the woman.

“It’s my pleasure,” she responded before rounding into the room itself. Spacious yet comfortable, the lights were a bit softer than the other rooms: it was meant to be more contemplative than usual.

clara.png

The woman, however, immediately twirled towards the china cabinet and offered His Eminence a drink. “Perhaps you’d like to drink something while we gather up?” she asked.

Maybe it was because she knew the Cardinal’s weaknesses or perhaps it was protocol for every new director of the Scarlet Academy, but the Cardinal accepted a glass of anything the woman would choose. “Some gin perhaps,” the Cardinal said.

bombay2.png

Clara allowed the Cardinal to find a seat before bringing some of their best gin and some glasses forward. She placed them carefully at the table next to him and poured him a shot and two. Already being aggressive, the Cardinal thought.

As Clara was doing the honours, a few more individuals joined the room and occupied several of the seats around the dim lamps hoping to catch some casual conversation before business began. However, the Cardinal coughed to bring everyone to attention.

“As you all know,” the Cardinal began, “I have been appointed as the new director for the Scarlet Academy ever since the retirement of our well beloved Cardinal Yontz. Please understand that although I have already scheduled official meetings and dialogue with the various parties two days from now, I thought that I would ask Lady Clara to bring you all together to have an informal party and get to know each other on a more casual basis. The Scarlet Academy is one of the most important organizations of our glorious nation and its ideals are impressed into the young who are more than willing to risk death or capture in order to keep Spain from facing the kind of darkness we had in the Great War. To that end, I hope you all will take my new elevation with understanding and I hope to work with all of you to make this peace permanent.”

There were no applauses here; it was only the very top of the organization who greeted him with resolute nods. That was when Lady Teresa spoke up.

teresa3.png

“On behalf of the current staff of the Academy we are delighted to finally as young as you, Eminence. We do hope to continue to shape the formation of your youngsters.”

There were pleasantries exchanged all around. And the informality of the meeting took hold. Department heads were exchanging greetings from others who they had not seen except through teleconference and, naturally, the Cardinal was making his rounds greeting everyone around the circle. Tea was served alongside the alcoholic beverages for all those who wished to partake in something with caffeine as well as the introduction of cigarillos. Much to his young nature, the Cardinal as well undertook that vice. The phonograph made itself ready for another change in vinyls.

phonograph4.png

It was perhaps an hour into the discussion—everything from the secretive training of overt agents as well as the covert impressionist training of the heirs of the various key families of the institutions of the country as well as oversight by the Silent Room—when Lady Clara, having found something to distract her on her cell phone leaned over to the Department Head for the High School recruits.

ryan5.png

“Is this data accurate?” she said to the man who was still smiling through the pleasant evening.

Lord Ryan Adams; the eminent head of those in the High Schools Department of the Academy and thus in charge of selecting and monitoring new agents and established heirs respectively lost his countenance when he received the news.

“Your Eminence,” the man did not waste time accosting the attention of the main guest. “I’m afraid there’s something that requires your immediate attention. According to Lady Clara’s information, we have reason to believe that there has been a breach in security.”

“What do you mean?” their leader asked them.

“It seems that during the course of normal work in one of the High Schools under my jurisdiction—the one where I’m watching over the Jimenes heir—one of his classmates typed in one of the keywords blacklisted on our database into the school computer and then again on his personal computer.”

“Which word was that?” the Cardinal asked as the good Lord Ryan walked over to the side table where the scotch had replaced the gin half an hour earlier and more cigarillos laid still in a graveyard. Placed in front of him was a laptop displaying the pertinent information on the alarm. The word written at the top was clear; “Timepiece.”

scotch6.png

Chapter XCV: Timepiece (coming soon)

Last edited:
Note on this latest Easter Special Update :

Happy Easter everyone ! These were actual pictures from some of my happy fun times today . Cigarillos , 12 year old scotch , Bombay Sapphire , tequila , croquet , lots and lots of girls in my company including but not limited to the two older women in the photos I chose as well as talking about philosophy and Catholic humour all day . It was overall too good to be true . Oh , and yes , I did win at croquet. That is a real phonograph and those were taken at the night party – I went to two parties—so it was all great fun . See you all in the coming weeks !

Tom up to his being no good?

But you are losing your grip canonized. Before, you would've left those last sentences out for us to think for ourselves that Tom had written timepiece. ;)

Fags, alcohol, girls... you're becoming a... what?

Catholic humour? Indeed, you're a pervert!

:D :D

We Catholics -well, me... so, so... I'm some kind of Protestholic or a Cathoglican...- have no sense of humour at all!

That explains your game of words, methinks...

Er... Peti...

Yes?

Shut up!

You filthy dictator...

No Peti expects the Spanish Inquisition, uh?

I think I'm going to go for a pizza...

As I was saying, we, Catholics, have no sense of humour. We are too busy doing penance for our sins all the time. In our present case, I sin and Canonized does the penitence :D

Hehehe.

Though interestingly this implies that Tom is not one of the established heirs and that the Royces were lost to the Spaniards at some point.

I guess this fits in that he was the clueless one who had to be educated in something of a crash-course right from the start...

Also a worrying hint as to the extent to which the Timelines society is under surveillance.

Hmm interesting. As pointed out before, this update gives some hints in a strange direction, could the whole AAR be an essay by Tom to covert his catholic friends?

Also, I like this Tom far better than the Tom from since half the first season, atleast he is active instead of reactive as he has been for such a long time.

Go Protestants! :D

As Grubnessel said, definatley a better Tom..

And Bombay Sapphire! I love it XD

Who were the (real) people in the photos?

The discussion between Tom and his teacher was quite interesting. By differentiating between the magical and the miraculous the implication is that former does exist after all, despite all indications to the contrary so far. But if magic is an attempt to subborn the divine to one's own purpose then logically, given God's omnipotence, any such attempt can not succeed unless permitted by God. So therefore, if magic is the utilization of divine power and is facilitated by divine permission than magic itself must be an expression of God's will and inherently similar to a miracle. The prime difference is then the nature of the two; magic is active whilst a miracle is reactive. Magic is set in motion by an individual exercise of will but a miracle occurs as a manifestation of divine will in response to an action of faith by an individual.

But the explanation offered by Sr. Jose carries with it a negative connotation; after all, putting your own will (or at least attempting to do so) above God's is surely an act of the greatest arrogance and going against the natural order. Therefore it would seem to be a sin. However, because God is a part of any magical act, necessarily being at least tacitly complicit in its function, the use of magic can't be a sin UNLESS the preponderance of free will is recognized. Only if free will exists and is paramount then someone could undertake an act that goes against the natural order. To sin is to disobey the law of God and to disobey requires free will. We can see this in Genesis; without free will Eve couldn't have been tempted by the Devil to eat the apple.

The problem now, such as it is, becomes the Timepiece itself. The ability to travel through time seems to be at least one of the functions of the Timepiece (hence the presence of Nazi's in the past). The observer effect (similar to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle) reflects that the act of observation alters the state of an object, up to and including its quantum state. Examine the thought experiment of Schroedinger's Cat, where the observer is the local quantum system. Now, if we accept a Multiple Worlds Interpretation of the Multiverse theory and accept as well that we confine ourselves to a single reference frame then the actualization of time travel via the Timepiece becomes deterministic by forcing our reference frame down a certain quantum state, namely the one from the future.

In other words, the time traveller has "observed" the future (ie his temporal point of origin) and by doing so has caused that possible future to become the definite one. By going back in time the world becomes locked along the path to that will lead back to the time he came from. If this is the case then the Timepiece has effectively negated free will by enacting a form of predestination. Thus we are left with a paradox: free will is a necessary component of miracles but free will is negated by the existence of the Timepiece which is of a miraculous nature.

I'll admit that the final portion of my theory is a bit weak, given the variety of interpretation for quantum theory out there, but I know canonized will enjoy looking it over. ;)

Avernite: haha , well I had already given it away in one of the very early chapters that the word was in the notes and texts of Tom's essay writing so I didn't want to beat around the bush . Plus it's easter !

Kurt_Steiner: ROFL you're so bad Kurt ! But hilarious XD . We had lots of fun talking about confession lines and about the sign of peace during mass and we were laughing so hard some people were crying . Mostly non-Catholics wouldn't understand it though =( . Like intentionally trying to make noise when you hear the confessor talking when it's not your turn "Aherm , if you can hear me that means i can youuu !" haha . It was much funnier in person .

Incognitia: You are correct about a lost heir hypothesis considering the disconnect in the succession through Sebastian's betrayal before . Also , as for surveillance , naturally with a population so large surveillance on everyone would be impossible ; it would just be in those schools where the next heirs would be and people they'd like to recruit that it is done . Excellent analysis !

Grubnessul: Pre-craziness Tom is definitely a more fleshed out character . I wanted to add him to the mix now that he's awoken from the drugging and add him as a dynamic force in the coming updates XD

English Patriot: ROFL you're always invited for some , old chap !

ColossusCrusher: I took the liberty of using their real names in the text so that's who they are . Just some of my friends who agreed to be pictured . I filtered the text slightly so that one cannot see their high fidelity countenances .

Great update (or special...or whatever you want to call it)!

It is rather funny that in all of the pictures there is at least a glimpse of alcohol!

EDIT: Your location has changed yet again ;)

Last edited:
VILenin said:
The discussion between Tom and his teacher was quite interesting. By differentiating between the magical and the miraculous the implication is that former does exist after all, despite all indications to the contrary so far. But if magic is an attempt to subborn the divine to one's own purpose then logically, given God's omnipotence, any such attempt can not succeed unless permitted by God. So therefore, if magic is the utilization of divine power and is facilitated by divine permission than magic itself must be an expression of God's will and inherently similar to a miracle. The prime difference is then the nature of the two; magic is active whilst a miracle is reactive. Magic is set in motion by an individual exercise of will but a miracle occurs as a manifestation of divine will in response to an action of faith by an individual.

Yes , it would imply that those who foolishly believe that magic is not given to them from above and thus they call it magic instead of a miracle are just ignorant of the fact ; it is a narcissistic and egotistical ideal to purport to use magic like Dr. Alejandro .

But the explanation offered by Sr. Jose carries with it a negative connotation; after all, putting your own will (or at least attempting to do so) above God's is surely an act of the greatest arrogance and going against the natural order. Therefore it would seem to be a sin. However, because God is a part of any magical act, necessarily being at least tacitly complicit in its function, the use of magic can't be a sin UNLESS the preponderance of free will is recognized. Only if free will exists and is paramount then someone could undertake an act that goes against the natural order. To sin is to disobey the law of God and to disobey requires free will. We can see this in Genesis; without free will Eve couldn't have been tempted by the Devil to eat the apple.

Yes , Free will is a must in order for anything to be done outside of the natural order . Magic , sin , etc all fall under this category . Just because the natural circumstances allow for magic and sin to be done , it only is because of the misuse of our choices that evil comes from it . Something that has great power is not evil in itself , but is utilized in evil by a free agent .
The problem now, such as it is, becomes the Timepiece itself. The ability to travel through time seems to be at least one of the functions of the Timepiece (hence the presence of Nazi's in the past). The observer effect (similar to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle) reflects that the act of observation alters the state of an object, up to and including its quantum state. Examine the thought experiment of Schroedinger's Cat, where the observer is the local quantum system. Now, if we accept a Multiple Worlds Interpretation of the Multiverse theory and accept as well that we confine ourselves to a single reference frame then the actualization of time travel via the Timepiece becomes deterministic by forcing our reference frame down a certain quantum state, namely the one from the future.

In other words, the time traveller has "observed" the future (ie his temporal point of origin) and by doing so has caused that possible future to become the definite one. By going back in time the world becomes locked along the path to that will lead back to the time he came from. If this is the case then the Timepiece has effectively negated free will by enacting a form of predestination. Thus we are left with a paradox: free will is a necessary component of miracles but free will is negated by the existence of the Timepiece which is of a miraculous nature.

I would disagree because simply knowing the future does not negate free will . Depends on the mode by which Time Travel is done . The very nature of Time travel in the form of the Timepiece is intentionally unexplained at the moment because any positive reinforcement of a certain theory such as that it allows a manipulation of time would only lead to paradoxes : the famous ones such as the grandfather paradox etc and also the metaphysical ones that you propose .

However , the treatment of the Timepiece as a question will help the reader to eventually understand how it works by eliminating those possibilities that should not exist . A major theme of Timelines is order . The belief in an ordered universe . The very nature of a separate timeline from our own , however , lends itself to questions about the validity of the existence of this world . That is something that will continue to be fleshed out in the work itself .

I'll admit that the final portion of my theory is a bit weak, given the variety of interpretation for quantum theory out there, but I know canonized will enjoy looking it over.

Always enjoy it , Mr. Lenin XD . It's why I love having you as a reader and I appreciate it very much :D .

--

comagoosie: Haha yes , had lots of alcohol last night in fact I had a hangover for most of the day =( .

And yes , I've been changing my location depending on the chapter XD

Canonized drunk! :O

Shocking, now just a fancy dandy Vikingbeard and I'd have to incorporate him in Vikings :p

(intelligent post on the timetravel/freewill stuff when I've had some time think about it thoroughly, first european law :( )

Grubnessul said:
(intelligent post on the timetravel/freewill stuff when I've had some time think about it thoroughly, first european law :( )

Haha don't worry Grubby, VILenin outdid us all with that post :rofl:

Nice play on the "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." (Arthur C. Clarke)

------------------------------------------

As to the matter of magic and miracle.. I find the distinction made by Sr. José to be a rather poor distinction... For what else is 'prayer' than an attempt to elicit a miracle?

Or in the case of miracles happening at an 'ordinary time' (ie. without explicit prayers), are these not normally attributed to an ascetic lifestyle of one or other person related to the incident.

What, then, is the difference between using a magic wand, stone, or incantation, and the usage of prayer? Or the difference between an ascetic lifestyle and the lifestyle of a shaman (many rituals are involved) ?

No, Sr. José, I believe that the only true difference between miracles and magic as you leave it is that one is condemned, and the other condoned / controlled (to an extent, in defining how to pray and live) by the Catholic Church.

Unless, of course, you are willing to admit that prayers need not be answered, while 'magic' must be, which would have rather interesting implications in regards to the allmight of the Allmighty One and the infallibility* of the Catholic Church.

:p :D

(judging from VILenin's post, I'm not the only one provoked by Sr. José's lecture, more below :))

* my main irk with the Catholic Church, actually...Their monopolisation** of interaction with God.

** not that scientists are that much better when you're questioning their pet theories, admittedly...

---------------------------------------
Maybe it was because she knew the Cardinal’s weaknesses or perhaps it was protocol for every new director of the Scarlet Academy, but the Cardinal accepted a glass of anything the woman would choose. “Some gin perhaps,” the Cardinal said.
-------
I wonder if this is an intentional reference to Cúchulainn being forced to break a geas leading to his death... :)

----------------------------------------

As to the Many-worlds interpretation of Timepieces, I believe that the problem pointed out with free will and time travel is more of a paradox than a contradiction.
1) It requires that "free will" means "free choice of destination(at a given point in time)" rather than "free choice of path"
2) It essentially requires that a 'forced' position at one time is a forced position at all time (your choices might affect things AFTER*** the time you have observed) -or the predestination is very limited indeed.
3) Just because the consequences(the future you see) of a choice (travelling in time) are a little further off, and quite explicit, doesn't mean the choice wasn't free.
4) Just because the Nazi thinks he's from the future, doesn't mean he is :) (it would be a very complex hallucination / Divine Vision indeed, but hey...The sub is just a mass halucination/ Divine Vision :D )

***Well, we could add "or before" here, but do we REALLY want to involve the logics of causality as well? :D

Eber: ROFL , well thank you . Maybe more Edwardian than Victorian but at least her mug was on our bottle , eh ? XD

Grubnessul: ROFL , hmm a viking beard .. now there's a thought .

English Patriot: VILenin certainly went to town XD

ForzaA said:
What, then, is the difference between using a magic wand, stone, or incantation, and the usage of prayer? Or the difference between an ascetic lifestyle and the lifestyle of a shaman (many rituals are involved) ?

Because in magic , an effect is guaranteed by the usage of an item . In prayer , an effect is not guaranteed , but a long term destination . More on this as I respond more in the latter portions .

ForzaA said:
No, Sr. José, I believe that the only true difference between miracles and magic as you leave it is that one is condemned, and the other condoned / controlled (to an extent, in defining how to pray and live) by the Catholic Church.

Unless, of course, you are willing to admit that prayers need not be answered, while 'magic' must be, which would have rather interesting implications in regards to the allmight of the Allmighty One and the infallibility* of the Catholic Church.

I'll give you a fine example as to how Christian prayer is understood as different from magic .

In magic , incantation/stone/wand "X" causes discrete effect "Y" (perhaps magic missiles XD)

In prayer , prayer/devotion "X" does not necessarily cause "Y"

But does that mean prayers are not answered ? No , they are . It is to be understood that they are . But let me give you an example of HOW they are answered .

Let's pretend that last night I pray for money , 22 virginal women , fifteen cigars , and the ability to live for thousands of years in my caddy ways .

In magic , if I had done a spell , this would all come about because the matter of the wand or the spell would force a supernatural effect .

However , in prayer , none of these things would be given to me NECESSARILY . Why ? Because I was praying for evil things .

I'll go with an even more pertinent example of how prayers are answered yet may not be what we want : Say , that I pray for the World to be conquered by Spain so that more people could be part of the One True Faith . Let's say that I pray that we have a government that actively fights liberalism etc .

If this was magic , I could say "Hocus Pocus" and we'd have tercios running around .

However , in prayer , God may not grant this to me and instead will have me learn to be humble , pious , and more religious in the face of adversity and trial and show me that the Christian life is not about domination and power but about carrying the cross etc .

God delivers through prayer what is good for us . Thus this is how we are guaranteed that our prayers will be answered . In the Christian sense God is not legalistic hence how we can never sue God and win because it is in the context of Fatherhood . quis autem ex vobis patrem petet panem numquid lapidem dabit illi aut piscem numquid pro pisce serpentem dabit illi (And which of you, if he ask his father bread, will he give him a stone? Or a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent?) Luke 11:11 . Therefore , while magical items force a divine action , prayer is a surrender of the self to the will of God and thus how we receive The Good . It is a difference between egoism and openness and it is a theme in Timelines as egos flair . By no means is this theme fully worked out . Indeed , there will be more chapters where the question of the VERY NATURE of a Spanish dominated world if it is really the 'right' one . I wouldn't have had a Protestant main character who questions the validity of such a world if I didn't believe that such an objection had some merit and as much as I am a romantic about the viability of Spain , the basic rights of humanity compels me as a Christian to investigate the matter better in the text =) .

Aside from these the rest of your comments were pretty close if not on the mark XD .

To expound a little further on the discussion of magic vs miracles, another key difference which would define miracles as "good" in the eyes of religion would be the dependency on faith. I don't just mean belief in God but faith. Magic garuntees a result wheareas prayer does not. When you pray you have no assurance that God will answer but you have faith that He will provide what is needed to help you through what ails you.

I agree with ForzaA that I like the blending of "magic" and science as all being a matter of perspective. Not only that but I've always felt that science and religion are needlessly set in opposition much of the time when the basic tennants are not mutually exclusive. But I digress.

The role of the unified Spanish Empire and Catholic Church, functioning as an instrument of order, is one I love to examine and play devil's advocate to. It's great that below a really interesting story Timelines is full of philosphical and sociological debates just waiting to happen.

Oh, and finally, 22 virgins but only 15 cigars? What were you thinking!? :p

I do wonder how canonized defines 22 virginal women as evil :p

Also, the Spanish empire is evil. That's obvious.

Avernite said:
I do wonder how canonized defines 22 virginal women as evil :p

Also, the Spanish empire is evil. That's obvious.

I suppose its what you'd do with 22 Virgins, a sword itself isn't evil..