• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
<disjointed reactions and reflections>

I was right about that family being Tom's ancestors! :D
soo...Akanishi does indeed seem to be the spy...
I understand, then, that the methodology of how to open the puzzle box was passed down in the family...hmm, what but's the significance of the box? considering that the Timepiece is moving across Afghanistan, what could Tom be opening?

unless...the pegs, the keys that Tom was using to open up the box aren't the actual Keys, but rather the box itself is what holds the Keys that the Royce family kept safe! maybe?

</disjointed reactions and reflections>

Myth said:
<disjointed reactions and reflections>

I was right about that family being Tom's ancestors! :D
soo...Akanishi does indeed seem to be the spy...
I understand, then, that the methodology of how to open the puzzle box was passed down in the family...hmm, what but's the significance of the box? considering that the Timepiece is moving across Afghanistan, what could Tom be opening?

unless...the pegs, the keys that Tom was using to open up the box aren't the actual Keys, but rather the box itself is what holds the Keys that the Royce family kept safe! maybe?

</disjointed reactions and reflections>

Yes , the Royce family is indeed tied into this very much ! Akanishi does seem to be the spy indeed and the puzzle box , it's just meant to be a protective seal to protect the keys of course ! But then if the keys are what Marcus wanted , why did he look at Rodrigo with so much surprise when the puzzle box was opened ? Hmm .. As for the Timepiece moving we'll have to see about that !

very nice update, as allways I might add.

But why would Akanishi be a spy? He spies upon those who saved his life and reunite him with his son.

And why is the Royce family tomb in little china?

questions, questions, questions

Grubnessul said:
very nice update, as allways I might add.

But why would Akanishi be a spy? He spies upon those who saved his life and reunite him with his son.

And why is the Royce family tomb in little china?

questions, questions, questions

Yes how very strange how Akanishi could be a spy ! Hmmm we'll have to see what that's all about , hm ? As for the Royce Family Tomb , you'll get to see !

Okay you updating fool, I finally caught up with all three of your updates.

“First of all, Father Xavier, this could never have come from Mecca and second of all you do know it is illegal here in the province of Germany to show… to show this!”

Nazi's!!! It is a swastika! Herr Hitler from alternate history wants the time pieces for himself! Well, that's my guess at least. ;) Rodrigo needs to shot as a scummy turn coat traitor and all around lousy friend! :mad:

Great stuff Armi.

grayghost said:
Okay you updating fool, I finally caught up with all three of your updates.

Nazi's!!! It is a swastika! Herr Hitler from alternate history wants the time pieces for himself! Well, that's my guess at least. ;) Rodrigo needs to shot as a scummy turn coat traitor and all around lousy friend! :mad:

Great stuff Armi.

What an excellent set of theories ! Glad you finally caught up XD !

Great update. I still want to know what the timpiece is/does. Apparently though, it is enough to cause seismic activity! I bet Marcus Councilman is really Tom's distant relative.

Also, the question as to how to take a screenshot in game was directed at anybody who knew how to take a screenshot in-game. I've been thinking at trying my hand at this AAR thing...

kleomenes said:
Great update. I still want to know what the timpiece is/does. Apparently though, it is enough to cause seismic activity! I bet Marcus Councilman is really Tom's distant relative.

Also, the question as to how to take a screenshot in game was directed at anybody who knew how to take a screenshot in-game. I've been thinking at trying my hand at this AAR thing...

OOhhh Marcus being related now there's an interesting prospect I'll have to keep in mind ! I love comments that inspire me , thank you ! As for the Timepiece mwahaha , that mystery won't be solved for a while although you'll get clues here and there . We already know it has something to do with Exotic Matter from space ! hmm .. as for the screenshots I use Materialiser . You can find it at the utility forums on the EU3 forum I believe !

Preview of Upcoming Events :

Immediate:
Saturday 14 April:
New Update !
Weekly Installment of You've Been Canonized! with this week's guest Rensslaer .

Future Events:
Friday 20th:
Closing of voting for AARland Choice Awards 2007 Q1

Saturday 21st:
You've Been Canonized! with rcduggan

Saturday 28th:
You've Been Canonized! with thrashing mad

Future Projects Planned:
Stylistic Exchange Project - a NEW bonus section is coming to Timelines where guest authors and I will be writing/producing a bonus section for each other ! We hope to not only sponsor swaps between ourselves and the guest author but also swaps amongst the other various authors who subscribe here ! Pilot Episode will feature a movie produced by thrashing mad for our thread and we will be providing a chapter narrative for their thread !

Please tell us what you think of this upcoming new project , and I hope you continue to stay tuned for our updates of the story here on Timelines as well as the weekly You've Been Canonized! interview segment !

Patrons ! Please don't forget to vote in the AARland Choice Awards 2007 Q1 ! We're having a good showing in best EU3 AAR , Best Narrative EU3 AAR , and best new author so keep us in your considerations when you make your votes ! Don't forget that not all votes are public so please give your support to your favourites out there in AARland and here with us whenever you can ! Thanks again to everyone for your continued patronage and good luck to everyone in this quarter of the choice awards !

I like the idea of guest writers, I think it is pretty ambitious to give your universe and persons out of your hands, they might change or create things you might not like, but can't throw away because that would destroy their piece.

It is a very good Idea. And it can be done as long as ground rules are laid out detailing what a person can and cannot do with characters, plot devices, or major plot lines. If anyone has ever read the Theives World series, this is a great example of collaborative writing. Also, when someone else writes a piece that involve or talk about major characters, it is like you are getting a different perspective on that character. I always enjoyed that about the Theives World setting. You could never get locked into "a character is this, or a character is that". Someone elses perspective always kept you wondering at what each character was really like.

Oh I hadn't planned on making them 'real' chapters for either author . That's why i said it would be a "bonus" exchange . meaning that we'd only be doing something cosmetic for the other . If we were to do anything substantial (such as write a new CANON chapter for each other) it would definitely be under strict guidelines and revisions . So either fan groups won't need to worry about it turning into a Collab identity crisis , it'll just be a way to showcase other styles as well as add cool elements that may not be present . For example the upcoming movie will be a great addition to the next chapters coming up !

P.S. Interview with Rensslaer will be posted at around 1pm pacific and then Update a few hours after that !

Well, that pretty much covers it then. ;) Looking forward to Rens's interview. He is an interesting guy. But the writer swap, or whatever you decide to call it, does sound intriguing.

canonizedrensslaer.png

You've Been Canonized!: Rensslaer​

Welcome guests and hello once again to our weekly interview segment here on Timelines ! For those of you new to our programme , I'm canonized author of Timelines: What if Spain Failed to Control the World? and this is our weekly bonus feature where we take one of the authors who have subscribed to our AAR and feature them in an interview ! This week's author is one of the celebrities on the board , Rensslaer author of Sforza!!!: A Milan AAR amongst many other works ! Let's begin with the interview !

Part I: Authorship
We'll begin by getting some insight into the Author and Pillar of the Community known as Rensslaer .

canonized: First thing I'd like to talk about , Mr. Rens , is that you mentioned to me the other day about being generationally a part of the "New Guard" could you tell us how long you've been around on the boards and what this terminology might mean ?

Rensslaer I guess I see the Paradox Forums as having three or four generations now. There are the oldest folks, from the beginning of the decade, when EU 1, EU 2 and HOI 1 were around. Many of these folks have either moved on, or graduated to being moderators. They might have joined in 2001-2002. I think Coz1 and Stnylan are perhaps still part of this first generation, though they also had an "old guard" who welcomed them. The newest generation, of course, is here now for EU 3. But there's another generation of mid-range folks like me. I joined in 2004, and immediately began writing an AAR which took me 2 years to write. The older generation like Coz1 and Stnylan helped encourage me. I guess I see it as our role now to encourage the newest generation.

canonized: Being someone who does participate in the encouraging institutions of the AAR community , what kind of advice would you give to writers who just joined us or those who are on the fence about attempting AARs ?

Rensslaer First, I would say "don't be put off" -- not daunted by the task, nor unwilling to face feedback, nor afraid to learn and grow. Second, I would say "prepare". There are many "writAAR aids" here on the forums, and warnings as to pitfalls that should be avoided. A good AAR, done right, can be thoroughly enjoyable. But some "misfire", and it's just best to listen to advice on how not to do things. These AARs do involve a lot of work, so it's best to know what you're getting into. Spend time to do it right. One thing I would suggest to anybody who wants to write professionally -- who thinks they might have the knack -- is to try it. There's incredible talent here. Many writers either "learn the craft" here, or hone their pre-existing skills. There's probably no place better to learn.

canonized: As for yourself, you've experimented quite many times with different AARs . You've written in almost epic length AARs for Victoria and now for EU3 . What brought you to start writing ?

Rensslaer Wow. I was born writing, I think. I wrote a play when I was 4, and performed it with friends for the neighborhood. I wrote 2 long stories in elementary school, and went to short stories when I was in high school. Then I started to get the idea I could write professionally, and worked toward many different ideas, many of which I'm still working on, hoping to get them published. Fire Warms the Northern Lands was a landmark for me -- the first long story I'd really finished, and put enough quality into that I felt I could finish and publish another project. It gave me the confidence to realize I could really do it. Castles in the Sky is more of a fun project for me, so I can enjoy writing and keep my skills up.

canonized: Speaking of these works , they encompass a great deal of experimentation stylistically as well . Fire Warms the Northern Lands , for example , encompasses a combination of narrative and gameplay aspects while Castles in the Sky adds some intrigue to your writing repertoire . Was this pastiche mode you adopted intentional ?

Rensslaer When I first came to the forums, I felt it was easy to categorize AARs -- narrative, gameplay, history book, etc. But I just had a sense when I started Fire Warms that, even though I most enjoyed writing fiction, I should use whichever different format would best convey exactly the portion of the story I wanted to convey. So I meander through fiction, intrigue, history-book, diaries, letters, modern-day classrooms, etc. And I loved the freedom to use illustrations, too. The experimentation was valuable .

canonized:: I also remember looking into your profile and seeing how you’ve identified yourself as a political activist as well as a Conservative Republican . How is this political identification important to you both as a writer ?

Rensslaer Ahh... Well, I'm actually beginning to think the Republican Party has moved toward the mushy middle, and starting to lose faith. But I'm best termed a conservative activist. Perhaps a conservative Christian activist. Politics has always been important to me, because I'm a student of history and I can see how deeply politics impacts history. I was 5 years old when I first campaigned for someone! Since then, I went left for a while, was a moderate liberal in high school and college, but then came back. I've had the good fortune to combine my two loves -- politics/history & writing -- as a political writer. I was speechwriter for a state Governor, and have had a number of other writing jobs in politics.

canonized: Has this diverse political background influenced your writing , and similarly , has your Christian faith inspired parts of your work at all ?

Rensslaer I enjoy writing what is believable. By knowing both sides of the issues personally -- from both a conservative and liberal perspective -- I can construct believable, two-sided arguments in my stories. I present the two sides, and can then either show why the "wrong" side prevails (misleading by demagogues) or show why the right side should or does prevail. I do have Christian elements in my stories too, whether simple prayer, or an occasional pro-Christian or anti-evolution statement on rare occasions. I would not say that any of my stories are overtly Christian, though I do have a couple of Christian stories in the works which I hope to publish outside of the Forum

canonized: One other thing one would notice about your writings is that you've chosen quite a large array of different areas : Prussia , The American West , Renaissance Milan ; how did you come about to choosing such places to focus your stories ?

Rensslaer Renaissance Milan is a fluke -- since I was writing the Strategy Guide, I wanted to experience leadership of a Mediterranean trading power, so I tried out Milan, and fell in love with it. I really had no idea that trading would be nearly impossible in the release version, so my Sforza!!! AAR has turned into a more traditional regional superpower AAR, rather than focusing on trading. The American West (or Colonial America) AAR (Castles) is because of my long historical research into this period of history, and its people, the American Founding Fathers. I did my senior college paper on Alexander Hamilton, so he fits in centrally. As for Prussia (Fire Warms), I didn't know a whole lot about central European history in the 19th century when I started, but I wanted to. So the AAR became my excuse to learn! My historical interests generally center upon 1770-1945, so Victoria was a natural game for me to prefer.

Part II: Readership
Rens and I discuss his thoughts on Timelines

canonized: You mentioned to me the other day something about how you sensed a sophistication of world view in Timelines , could you clarify what you mean for us ?

Rensslaer I think I meant more the sophistication of the story's world, and its structure. You have three basic "worlds" in your story -- the unified present, the disparate ("our world") present, and the past, where the battle seems primarily to be occurring, though the battle spills into different times. How you fit each of these elements together in a believable fashion amazes and excites me. I guess I'm still trying to figure out whether that "disparate (our world) present" exists anywhere but in Tom's mind, but it seems he's not the only one who seeks it.

canonized: One of the first comments you left for us on the thread was about the premise of the setting ; what are your thoughts on the execution of the alternate-history past and present as devices for the narrative ?

Rensslaer This kind of switching between times is really hard to pull off. Stnylan and Coz1 have both done it, to great effect, but I don't know if I have the skill to keep everything straight if I were to try it! You're doing a great job with it, I think. I'm further amazed that your scenes from "the past" relate so well with the accompanying "the present" scenes in each update. And I like the unique "Timelines" division in each post, which allows us to see both past and present

canonized: One of the things that's different about Timelines is that the main focus of the story is not with the monarchs , in fact it greatly resembles the initial premise of the EU series where the player embodies the Gray Eminence that controls the country behind the scenes , what do you think of this approach taken in the story ?

Rensslaer I think that's always the fun stuff -- watching the people who actually implement history, rather than the ones who decide how it should play out. It's tough to keep interest in a story that always takes place in a "cabinet room", but you've got so much action going on here that it makes it a really viable and interesting story

canonized: Speaking of the action of the story , do you have a favourite part or arc ?

Rensslaer I'm a sucker for well-done romance scenes -- action scenes are a dime a dozen in this forum. But I think it takes real skill to pull off a good, subtle romance, and the interaction between Antonio and Isabella is really well done. I'm thinking particularly of the scene with the easel -- the "Mulder and Scully" scene where the reader wants them to kiss but it's just a false alarm. And more recently, when Antonio was waking up from his injuries, and the tender touch.

canonized: Mulder and Scully , now there's a compliment if I ever saw one for someone trying to write romantic tension haha . I'm glad, though, that the peripheral activities stand out as much as the main plot . Speaking of the main plot , one of the things Timelines attempts to do is make world conquest merely a byproduct of a mysterious agenda while still maintaining the facets of battle and intrigue that make many AARs engaging . What are your thoughts so far on the grand schemes of the different nations presented in the story ?

Rensslaer I'm amused that it's Meissen that's going to save the world! :rofl: But the rest of it is interesting too. It appears to be as much a conflict between the Lutherans and Catholics, though I'm anxious to find out how Tom fits in, since he thinks he's from a Lutheran family, and yet he seems to be the Catholic "key" to safeguarding the keys from the Lutherans! A universal Spanish empire is an interesting choice -- back in the day, it was perhaps closer to happening than with any other country

canonized: It's true that religion plays a large role in the plot of the story and there are many Catholic themes that come out in the work : stewardship , divine authority , prayers of intercession , universality , and the harmony of faith and science . As a fellow Christian , what are your thoughts on these elements of the story ?

Rensslaer Naturally, I approve. It is a very different worldview than the one which dominates our society today. I find it interesting that some "bad" characters -- Marcus, for instance -- wish to destroy the Spanish/Catholic hegemony, but also that Tom does too -- for entirely different reasons, I would gather. It puts in question, for me, which side will ultimately prevail. It seems rather more complex than stories where one side -- the "right" side -- will be brought to victory by the main character. I'm neither sure which character is the main character (if there is one), nor which side is right! That's assuming -- from a Protestant perspective -- that the Catholics aren't necessarily right.

canonized: Aside from fellow Christians such as yourself, Timelines also is encouraged by its readership by non-Christians such as Jews and Muslims but also by some non-religious at all . Despite being a Catholic-intertwined work , what would you say also gives the story a broad appeal ?

Rensslaer Well, the writing is the most obvious answer. You do seem to have a gift for writing, and it seems like you have been practicing long enough to develop that skill very well. I think you'll continue to improve -- in fact, I think you've improved even since you started the story, which is typical. But the characters are a major draw, too. You have interesting characters and complicated plotlines

canonized: Lastly about the story , I'd like to ask what you think the Timepiece is .

Rensslaer I had a weird notion early on that the Timepiece was a copy of EU 3 that somehow really controlled the world. And the keys, maybe, were the different presets for each game. But now I have really no idea!

canonized: Haha , talk about highly original , I kind of like that idea

Rensslaer It came about from the scenes in the silent rooms, where messages would pop in, kind of like the popup screens in EU 3

canonized: yep ! I'm glad you got that feeling , it'll be important for the story later on !

Rensslaer (Speaking of the Silent Rooms) It reminded me of an old movie called the Last Starfighter, where a kid was trained to fly a starfighter with a video game and I liked your reference to Wargames .

canonized: It was my favourite movie growing up , always stayed up till 3 in the morning just to watch it over and over again even if it's a school night . Oh and Last Starfighter , good grief , going down memory lane are we ? haha . Any final comments about Timelines you’d like to add ?

Rensslaer I'm enjoying all the little easter eggs you leave in your story. Most of them are very subtly inserted -- things like the Ceylon Base Ship, or the Wargames reference. I've noticed others which I can't recall right now, but there are quite a few of them! Oh, and I also wanted to add this -- you've put an impressive amount of authentic-seeming Japanese culture into the story. I also sense a style that is reminiscent of various Japanese anime that I've watched. It's something about the story elements, and the timing. In fact, I think your story would be very adaptable to a live-action anime format!

Part III: Rensslaer!!! AARS to be reckoned with.
Lastly , we'll be taking a look at Rens' current projects !

canonized: First question I have to ask about Sforza when I first began to read it is , how did you get away with all those vassalizations so early on ? Haha

Rensslaer I just got lucky, I think! Actually, a better answer is I kept trying. That was one of my primary goals in the early stages of the game -- to vassalize my neighbors, and eventually diploannex them. And then, when I went to war, Venice, Tuscany and Aragon were obvious targets.

canonized: So you hinted a little bit early on about making a strategy guide for Milan and that's how you came upon starting this particular AAR , any other reasons for choosing this Italian State ?

Rensslaer Well, for a trading power, Venice was too obvious, and was too near to the Ottomans early on, in any case. I wanted a good Italian trading power with good positioning and a historical trading niche. It was either Milan or Savoy, and Savoy was too near to France for comfort.

canonized: Speaking of trading , you also noted that you had to change a little bit of your plans because of how the game engine treated trading , how would you say this particular AAR experience has shaped your view of EU3 ?

Rensslaer This particular trading situation is patch-related. I was in the beta, and I've seen patches where trade is very much like EU 2, so I have confidence that trading will be lots easier in future patches. I haven't actually tried the 1.2 yet, so I don't know how it compares. It's just a matter of values changing, up and down. It's too bad it affected my AAR so.

canonized: As anyone in the EU3 section of AARs will know , your Sforza AAR is wildly popular partly I'm sure to the well coordinated representations of the various wars of the underdog Milanese and your acumen at expansion . To that end it has even been called the Flagship of the EU3 AARs , what do you think of all this success ?

Rensslaer I'm excited! Flattered, but also humbled. It's not really that great, and others are putting much more work and talent into their AARs. Mine does not deserve to be so well regarded. Perhaps it is partly the readership I built up with Fire Warms, and partly the experience of relating wars in Fire Warms, synthesizing them so they're enjoyable for the reader and make sense.

canonized: What would you say is was your biggest challenge as Milan and where would you like to take her in the future ?

Rensslaer Well, I'm really looking forward to facing off against the Ottomans, but I'm not comfortable yet with my frontiers with 1) France, 2) Castille, 3) Burgundy, and 4) Austria! Way too much to worry about "back home" to turn my attentions too seriously toward the Balkans, Asia Minor and elsewhere.

canonized: Yes I saw , the Kingdom seems pretty fragmented here and there so it'll be hard to mount a unified campaign through all those lands ! I mean you even have a port city in nothern Germany ! Could you tell us a little about the other AARs you're currently updating ? For those of your fans who may only know you from Sforza .

Rensslaer Fire Warms the Northern Lands is my magnum opus, of which I am most proud. But I'm having a lot of fun with Castles in the Sky. It's an entirely narrative twist to a historical event when the Vice President, Aaron Burr, left Washington in disgrace and meant to split the western United States (or, some say Spanish Mexico) off from its mother country and form it into his own empire. Alexander Hamilton (Burr's historical nemesis) survives the duel which killed him in our timeline, and goes off to stop Burr. Many have asked about a sequel to Fire Warms, which will take the same Prussian characters into World War II as the defender of western democracy against the Soviets and the Fascist Italians and French. But I also might try an experimental EU 3 AAR based very loosely upon the Babylon 5 model. Either would require time, which I don't yet have, so... We'll see!

canonized: Talk about a cliffhanger of a preview , Babylon 5 model , I'm sure you made a good portion of us jump off the cliff in anticipation right there , haha . Somehow I imagine the Azores or Malta populated by a quarter of a million of the world's peoples . In any case , thanks so much for the interview and good luck also on this quarter of the AARland Choice Awards ! I would also like to thank all the fans who’ve been reading along and I hope that this interview has inspired many of you readers both of my work and Rens’ to explore the various other AARs out there ! Remember to vote for your favourites in the AARland Choice Awards and next week we will be having everyone’s most celebrated Nepalian (is that even a word ?) rcduggan on the programme so please look out for that ! Remember if you’re a subscriber of Timelines and an author of your own and wish to come on the programme please contact me any time via private message !

Another great interview Armi. Really enjoyed it.

grayghost said:
Another great interview Armi. Really enjoyed it.

Thanks ! It's been a pleasure doing these to all the wonderful authors who've been kind enough to read and comment here ! It's been an honour to talk about our works and help to flow readership along the boards !

Thank you for conducting the interview, Canonized!

I've really enjoyed catching up here, though I haven't caught the latest update yet. Hope to tonight!

Rensslaer

Well, I have just read through this AAR. It is a magnificent work you've managed to pull together here - and I mean pull together. Writing across time things can threaten to fly apart (as I know from experience) but this is a tightly-run ship. Writing with a number of characters also has its risk, yet you have managed three main 'pairs' of characters without noticeable problems.

In terms of the actual writing itself I am also impressed. There are a few areas where I think you could be a little tighter, and I think there is scope to cut down to some extent on repeated words and phrases (one incident that I noticed in the last update (ie not the interview!) is the phrase 'young cousin' was used twice in very close proximity. One use is fine, for the other I am sure an alternative could have been found, though I would have been tempted to excise the second use. In short, stuff that I am sure will come more naturally the more practised one gets.

Going back, one thing I find interesting is how the three pairs developed: Isabella and Antonio, Carmen and Renault, and Tom and Rodrigo. I am very, very skeptical about Rodrigo btw. No way I trust him.

As for the wider story, at the moment I am not trying to second-guess it. Just take me there, and I'll happily follow!

And again, top-notch stuff.

Rensslaer: Thanks for sitting down with me , it was a great time !

Stnylan: Thanks stnylan for the positive encouragement and welcome aboard ! I'm very grateful to have this opportunity to expand my horizons on this my very first AAR and i'm very glad so many of the characters appeal to you while maintaining integrity in the plotlines ! Thanks again and hope to see you more soon !

P.S. As for the update scheduled tonight I'm afraid I'll have to postpone it tomorrow for a few reasons . One is that a lot of people have been messaging me lately about updating too fast (is that possible ! - gasp - ) so I decided today with the interview up and all would be a good time to take a short 1 day break before updating tomorrow . Secondly , today was a bit of a busy day (helped my sister volunteer at the local parish soup kitchen) so it's been busy ! Hope to see you all tomorrow for the update and thanks again for all the readers !

Hooray happy 10,000 views , everyone ! Thanks to all the readers who've helped ! New update coming in 10 hours or so from now !