• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
comagoosie said:
Yes, we love specials! Now if we all chip in some money, maybe we could could get a 30 second clip on TV. The only thing catch is it would air at 3:00 am :D

Specials are always good fun ! Always taking applications to have some bonuses done by the audience too XD .

Muwahahaha... I have stolen Rodrigo! :D

General_BT said:
Muwahahaha... I have stolen Rodrigo! :D

ROFL PERFIDIOUS but much appreciated XD XD .

Eber said:
I'm looking forward to the interview. :)

It's coming up in a few minutes :D It's almost done !

canonizedtreizev.png

You’ve Been Canonized!: TreizeV​

Good evening, everyone, and welcome once again to You’ve Been Canonized! our weekly interview segment here on Timelines where we interview a patron author and get to know more about them, their thoughts on Timelines, and about their current AAR or project! If you’re new to the Programme, I’m your host canonized author of Timelines: What if Spain Failed to Control the World? and today’s guest is one of our newest friends and veteran of AARland, TreizeV author of "Je Maintiendrai" - William of Orange and the Wars of Coalition. Let’s get to the questions!

Part I: The Duke Himself
Treize talks to us about himself!

canonized: First of all , thank you for coming on the programme ! It's a pleasure to have you ! Could you introduce yourself a little for all of us ?

TreizeV: Thank you, it's an honor to be here, truly, I've never been asked for an interview before hehe! As for myself I currently live in Vancouver, BC. I was born in Hong Kong and moved here when I was two and have been here ever since. Its not hard to imagine how that affects my mother tongue. Currently I'm studying accounting and will be completing my degree this May, then its off to the big world. Kinda scary actually, now that i think about that

canonized: It can definitely be , yes ! So how do you find the time to write AARs ?

TreizeV: The same way I find time to do anything in my schedule. I set a certain portion of my time dedicated to writing and reading. Say I set one of my time-off days like a Sunday to spend the afternoon reading or writing, or another day when I'm not working. It varies week to week depending on how crazy things are, but I try to update at least once every week and get myself updated on ongoing AARs. Of course I admit I'm not perfect, there are spells of time that I find myself unable to write or read, but I do make it a point to catch up in the end and finish what I started. Heck, I’m still throwing ideas on my Vive L'empereur AAR in my head and I haven't touched that for months now!

canonized: What first brought you to start writing AARs ?

TreizeV: My roots in AAR writing began years ago with historical roleplaying, and it really got into my head the idea of creating an alternate history. What if Alexander didn't conquer Persia? What if the allies lost World War II? There is something just irresistable about being able construct your own world and tell a story within it, sort of like how a kid feels when they have a sandbox all to themselves. After roleplaying died down, i started reaching out to other forms of indulging in recreating the Rp feel and I found a game called Europa Universalis 2, and it was in 2004 where i found this forum, and after reading a few splendid AARs I decided to apply what i learned from my previous experience in role playing to try and write one, and I've never looked back since.

canonized: And interestingly enough you were also an old RP buddy with jeffg006 who we had on the programme a couple of weeks ago ! Could you share a little story about that ?

TreizeV: Of course! Jeff and I were one of the first Rpers in the heavengames forum. It was jeff himself who created the most successful and longest running RP, the Ancient thread. I could go on forever but long story short. Jeff was Greece, I was persia and we kept ourselves thoroughly entertained. I learned a lot of my battle writing craft from playing with jeff, as both ally and enemy in the game (*of course what jeff won't tell you was that it was greece that broke the alliance with the peace-loving persians ) Our system of course, was a lot less organized than the 1558 thread. Which is the most impressive RP thread I've seen so far! Our old thread was very messy. it was essentially one thread, and one poster could say his army went to point A, but the next post by his opponent would have him destroy his army in a flash. Needless to say there was a lot of disputing, but there were always the vets like Jeff to sort out the disputes. It was good times I would always remember the debates we had especially the old Athens Vs. Sparta debate. He was a great organizer too, and chaired many war game scenarios too, like one for a war of English succession if i recall correctly. Yup, a very imaginative and swell guy, an asset to any online community. Psst jeff: We still gotta visit Solo's bar one day for a drink.

canonized: So how would you say your RPing background gives you a unique approach to your writing ?

TreizeV: Well the effect Rping had on my approach to writing is twofold. The first being that since most of my Rping days were spent writing up battles, that is usually where most of my AARs tend to have been focused on, the maneuvering and calculations of generals on both sides in strategy and how one would outwit another on the grand chessboard. This also got me interested in the other aspects of battle, such as the ebb and flow of a battle, the sounds, smell and the overall experience. Needless to say, i try to include as much of it in my writing as I can. The second aspect RPing had on me was to always research, to make sure that even though I am writing alternative history that it is at least plausible! Especially when it comes to tactics and weapons of the time. I recall this one time when a fellow rper made a post regarding how his fleet in France traveled from Toulon, slipped past the Ottoman Navy and took Constantinople without a fight! Needless to say, the ottoman player was not all too pleased at that

canonized: Do you have any plans to expand your writing to anything other than AARs ?

TreizeV: Well, I've been toying with the idea of writing and publishing my own historical fiction for years. Nothing is set in stone, but without giving too much away I do have an idea for a plot involving the Great Northern War between Russia and Sweden, though it will probably be some time before I can start that project, considering the time constraints at the moment. I also want to take a stab at writing scripts for a T.V show or movie, something involving D.C or Marvel considering I've been a fan of their shows and movies for years. I did write some transcripts before and it was a really enjoyable experience, but in the end who knows? Time will tell I guess.

Part II: On the Campaign Trail
Treize shares his thoughts as he reads through Timelines!

canonized: From what you've read of Timelines so far , what might your first impressions be ?

TreizeV: Hehe, well it was a literal roller coaster of a ride for me (and still is!). When I read the first chapters of the AAR, it was a well written and easy to follow narrative, not unlike the other great AARs of the forum. Indeed, the shift in focus between past and present realities initially reminded me a lot about Director's "Who Wants to Be Napoleon" AAR. I expected a narrative highlighting the conquest of spain and the world. I got that, but what I didn't expect was just how deep Tom's role in the story was. His role from being a simple student has gone on to become something much more important, and I myself am still left wondering, and wanting more. Then it really got interesting with the secret societies, the various factions all looking for this coveted timepiece, not to mention the colorful and fleshed out cast you gave us, with memorable heroes and villains. It has really become suspensefully epic for me, the only comparison i can think of in my mind is the Da Vinci Code by Dan brown, but you've gone a step above that by including the events of the past as an adventure in itself. Unlike the Da Vinci code, the events of the past aren't just a mystery to be deciphered; the reader is actually immersed into that world and taken for a ride with the characters of the time. It is really a unique experience for me I got to say, not to mention fun! Everyone likes a good mystery!

canonized: Well thank you very much ! Any particular character or set of characters that appealed to you most ?

TreizeV: It was a tough choice, but I personally have to go with Renault. The regular swashbuckling skilled agent. He has that sort of professional smugness that you got to love, I think he steals the show personally. Not just his skill, but also his ingenuity, some of my favourite scenes in the story involve him dodging the traps at Mecca, like the waterpit. Just when I thought he was gonna bite it, he conjures up an escape plan that would have made Indiana Jones go "why didn't I think of that?". Not to mention he gets the most bizarre and interesting adventures, seriously, zombies was the LAST thing I expected in an AAR, and i probably never mentioned it but the zombie genre is one of my favourites, that’s another point for Renault in my book of course, that does not mean the rest of the cast should be ignored. Antonio and Isabella have excellent chemistry, both professionally and intimately (that painting scene seriously had me laughing out loud), and the villain Sio-Pan, creepy little bugger.

canonized: I remember many times before that Timelines has an anime feel to it . Did you get that kind of feeling also ? And if so , how do you think it melds with a mystery/adventure set in period and modern style ?

TreizeV: Its an interesting question, because to me anime can have more than one 'feel' to it, whether its an anime thats based solely on insane amounts of action or those that emphasize music and artistic style more than plot. If you are talking about the certain mystical themes Timelines has to it, such as the search for a legendary object, the parallel universes or time travel, I admit it does have some similarity to animes, one that comes to mind is Fullmetal Alchemist.

canonized: Timelines employs a double narrative as you mentioned before - the past and future . What have you thought about this setup and how it's been executed ? Anything in particular about this style that appeals to you ?

TreizeV: I think it is a great concept, and is really the crux of the story. I thought the execution was flawless, considering the timeframe and variety of locations you pulled off; the changes aren't abrupt and happen just as a new revelation takes place or at the end of certain acts. The real appeal of this style in regards to this story is that it gives me two different sets of viewpoints to the same puzzle. The characters in the past and present are trying to unlock the same objective, and are weaving their way through their respective worlds. In doing so we learn a lot about each of their times and through their different approaches and experiences, more about them as characters, then there is that umbrella mystery of the timepiece which really serves to hold the whole thing together. It's really well thought out and intelligent and but not too intricate that the readers get lost, I can't say enough how skillfully you've done it.

canonized: Aside from the drama and intrigue , we also like to put in little references here every once in a while and it's interesting because different people see different ones in the ecclectic spread we've got so far . Any of those pop out at you ?

TreizeV: Hehe, yes, they are like little easter eggs that really make the experience enjoyable. I think a few pop to my mind...there was that Battlestar Galactica one (ceylon based ship!), the terminator "come with me if you want to live" line, one from 300, the lurker from starcraft and the babylon 5 dialogue with the empress. There were others I liked but there are too many to remember!

canonized: And lastly from this section ; any guesses on what the Timepiece is ?

TreizeV: Well, considering the title of this story. What if Spain failed to control the world...I believe the timepiece is some sort of time travel mechanism, perhaps mystical, that the factions can use to alter time. It is my belief that the Wolves' objective is to take said timepiece, and alter the Spanish held world into the chaotic one we have today, with no central authority over the nations. To me, the anarchic situation in our world is just what the Marcus Councilman character wants to achieve. Heck our present world is a mess as it is already.

Part III: A TreizeV Work Orange
Treize reveals a few things about his AAR!

canonized: For both new readers as well as those who already know of your writing , could you introduce your AAR for us ?

TreizeV: Well at the moment I am working on "Je Maintiendrai." It basically chronicles the most desperate year for the Dutch republic as Louis XIV's armies rampage through the Netherlands and Europe. Its a narrative AAR following the young William of Orange as he strives to keep his country alive while building up a coalition to stop the French King.

canonized: Any particular reason you chose a narrative format ?

TreizeV: Particularly because a narrative format gives you the chance to really delve into the world you are creating. You aren't just describing events that would happen in say, a history book format (which I have also done), but you can get to show your readers what your characters see and experience during the time period, to get a feel of what it is really like. Plus, it is in the narrative where the writers can really flesh out the historical giants. Men like Napoleon or Wellington are more than just their accomplishments, they are human beings after all, and a style narrative can really help explore their personalities a lot more in how they interact with the situations the writer chooses to place them in. Or you can just use their reputation to make a great comedy, like the German Risk AAR for instance by Rustican.

canonized: Tackling major players on the world stage is a large undertaking , but you have written about everyone from Spanish Generals to Louis XIV ; from English Lords to the young Prince with ease . What kind of preparation and mindset to you engage in order to accomplish this ?

TreizeV: For preparation, I usually do as much research as I can into the history of both characters. When I wrote my Napoleon AARs, I always kept a biography of him by my side, the same goes for Louis and William. The more I see about how they react to the challenges or situations in their lives, as well as the tone of any dialogue from their writings, the more of an idea i can get about how they would act or how they would speak. It is a trial and error process, and not the best one, but it certainly helps for anyone trying to write the great leaders of history.

canonized: Let us talk about the political situation . We have the Netherlands "recently" independent and already getting into trouble with other countries such as England . Religious turmoil still rules many parts of European politics and the explosive economic growth of Holland means jealousies abound . Why did you choose to write about this tumultuous time ?

TreizeV: Simply because there is so much to write about! Each issue of the day is something that the young Prince can interact with and can provide ample material for a chapter or an update. For instance, the very decentralized nature of the united provinces can give the prince a daunting obstacle when it comes to organizing his army. Historically speaking, William had his Dutch army turned away from towns that did not wish to take part in the coming war, and there were many Dutchmen more concerned about surviving with their fortunes and properties intact rather than fight for the independence of their country. The religious turmoil and jealousies come into play as William has to find a way to unite all of Europe against France; this involves dealing with former enemies, backstabbing friends, and distrustful neighbors. Without giving too much away, look forward to more nationalities and personalities coming up in the story, both fictional and real. It’s a really rich time period, and with it, there is never really a shortage of material to keep me writing.

canonized: Aside from the explosive setting , your dialogue and narration explodes onto the scene with your various perspectives rapidly in succession over the course of a few updates letting us see into the workings of the English , French , Spanish , and Dutch bureaucracies . What was the reasoning behind this approach as oppossed to a more singular approach that most people would do in focusing with only one country or court ?

TreizeV: Aside from my interest in politics, I would say it is because I don't want the antagonist (in this case, France) to be portrayed solely from the viewpoint of my protagonist. I want to show that the nothing is as simple as it seems, France and England may be William's enemies, but the fact that he has friends in both courts show the real political and social complexities of the time. I also want to make it a point to portray every perspective equally, there is no black and white. For every Frenchman or Spaniard I have looting villages and killing civilians, I make it a point to show another who abhors their countrymen's tactics because that is probably what happens in a real war, you have men of honor and dogs of war on both sides, just as you have victims, heroes and villains. It is what makes war stories like Gods and Generals so appealing, because of the humanity of the characters. And war is ultimately a reflection of humanity at its worst and at its best qualities.

canonized: I also wanted to comment on the dramatic effect of your narrative . You have scenes such as the French soldiers and the young maiden Mary which you effectively built up the audiences' connection for before placing her in a terrible situation . Tell us a little bit about your dramatic formulations ?

TreizeV: To be honest, my weakness is at these kind of situations. Give me a battle scene any day, but when it came to the most basic and genuine interactions between characters, it is much harder to do. I don't have a formula per say, I get an idea of how to write one by simply reading, reading and reading. Especially the works of others who are much better than myself at writing these kinds of situations. For myself, when it involves war atrocities such as this, I try and set up a light and cheerful mood, a situation that would involve something that happens in everyday life, something innocent and playful where the last things on these characters mind is the upcoming crisis of war. Then the next immediate step is to drop them right in the smack of it. It really serves as a good shock,

canonized: Yes indeed ! And last question : any future AARs planned at this time ?

TreizeV: At the moment, not really, once I start an AAR, it tends to be my one focus. I don't like to split my attention or energies between projects. My current AAR is just beginning, so it won't be for some time. I will however, say that my next AAR will be either a history book or gameplay one. Writing narratives is fun, but it is also exhausting, it is good to take a break sometimes and experiment with the other styles.

canonized: Well that’s all for our interview and we’d like to thank TreizeV for being on the programme it was a great pleasure ! We’d like to thank our wonderful audience for tuning in today ! Please tune in to the thread during the course of the week to find out who will be next on the chopping block ! That’s all for our interview this time , see you next time , and in the meantime , stay tuned for more Timelines : fair , balanced , and unafraid !

Just received some great news everyone !!

VILenin just e-mailed me saying that he will be on schedule with the next update of Purgatory in the Eleventh Hour ! Huzzah ! Feel free to post your update any time you'd like , Mr. Revolutionary Leader ! Hope to see you during the week ! (we need to play some more Starcraft !!)

Yes, an excellent video, I used to go to heavengames too, but the most involved I ever got was a fight with a Scot in the RoN download section..

comagoosie & English Patriot: ahh , I never went ^^ Looks like everyone had a lot of fun RPing and what not XD

Elorei said:
Oh my! What a lovely interview!

Thank you very much :D . <3

Purgatory in the Eleventh Hour - Chapter 4 (continued)

red_room.jpg

The Red Room, I’d learned, was a night club owned and operated by a man who went by the name “Jean Francais,” an alias if I’d ever heard one. Apparently he was the typical kind of small time low life and he made his club available as a meeting place for all sorts of less-than savory individuals. As a result, a lot of news passed through the walls of the Red Room. It’s owner just might be able to clue me in on what was rapidly coming to look like a conspiracy.

It was the middle of the afternoon when I parked down the street from the club. The streets were pretty quiet and I was hoping the club would be too. As I walked up to the red double doors a big gorilla of a man lumbered into my path.

“Where d’ya think you’re going, buddy?” he asked with a thick voice.

I rolled my eyes. “You the bouncer?”

He nodded.

“Get the hell out of my way.”

Mr. Gorilla blinked in surprise; I don’t think he was used to people talking back to him. In other circumstances I might’ve been surprised myself, the guy must have had a couple inches and at least thirty pounds on me. But it had been a bad day I wasn’t in the mood to put up with the missing link.

I started to walk past him but, apparently recovering from his surprise, a big beefy hand landed on my shoulder.

“You can’t go in.”

I turned to him slowly, my expression cold.

“Take your hand off my shoulder. Now.”

I could tell Mr. Gorilla was clearly in uncharted territory and his mind was struggling with how to deal with it. On the one hand, I was probably not the sort of person he should be letting in. On the other hand, he was also probably used to taking orders and not getting threatened. I decided to help out the decision making process.

“I’m here to talk to your boss.”

That appeared to decide things. He gave a silent nod and headed inside, gesturing that I should follow him. We walked down a hall and into the a large, round room. A circular bar took up the center with maybe fifteen booths lining the wall around it. The place was dimly lit and the air seemed thick, as if it were used to be choked with smoke. The décor definitely followed a single theme: red leather. It was everywhere and on everything. I shook my head slightly; some people have no taste.

The bouncer led me around the bar to one of booths opposite the door. Sitting there was a small man with a thin mustache, a long cigarette hanging limply from his lips. He looked up at me as we approached.

“Ah, Monsieur Calavera, you ‘ave at last found your way eento my web.”

I almost rolled my eyes again; this guy had the lamest French accent I’d ever heard.

“You must be the owner.”

He nodded, “Oui, I am Jean Francais, ze proprieter of ‘zis establishment.”

He gestured and gorilla man turned and headed back out front. Reaching into his jacket, Jean took out a silver cigarette case and offered me one by gesture. I stared stonily at him until, with a shrug, he placed it back in his breast pocket.

“So, what can a seemple bizness man like me do for you?”

I gave him a hard look.

“I’m here for information.”

Another shrug. “Many look for knowledge,” Jean said with a dismissive wave, “but not all find eet. I am afraid I confine myself to the running of my club.”

“Oh really? Because that’s not how I hear it,” I fired back. “Word is you’ve got all sorts of connections to the local underground scene. Thugs, druggies, all sorts of low-lives here in Seattle. And I’m betting you can help me find one in particular.”

Jean’s nostrils flared. “How dare you! Frankly, monsieur Calavera, I resent your implications that I would associate myself with such…”

I didn’t let him finish. My patience had been pretty thin to begin with and the obnoxious little creep had quickly blown through whatever I’d had. Lurching forward from I seat I reached over the table and grabbed his shirt.

“Now you listen here you degenerate scumbag, I need information and I need it now so don’t waste another second of my time with your pathetic excuses.”

“I…”

“Shut up!” I snarled. “I’m looking for anyone who might have bought a .44 calibre handgun recently. Know anyone like that?”

“N-n-no, I don’t think so,” Jean sputtered nervously, all traces of his French accent gone.

“Really?” I asked, cocking my head to the side. “You don’t know someone, or know someone who might know someone, who was looking to buy an illegal weapon? Come on Jean, I thought you were connected?”

“I, well, I am. I mean, no! I don’t, I’m not in that sort of thing!”

I shake my head, a look of disappointment on my face, then I give him another sharp shake.

“Try again.”

Sweat has very noticeably collected on Jean’s brow and his eyes dart around quickly, like a trapped animal.

“Ok, ok!” he shouts, waving his hands in front of his face, “just stop shaking me!”

I relax my grip and ease back into my seat, my eyes never leaving him. Jean sits down as well and spends a few moments fussing with his collar and trying to recapture some semblance of calm.

“By the way, what happened to your accent? Did I shake it loose?” I ask dryly. He flinches slightly as I speak.
“Yeah, uh, the thing about that is…” he hesitates, his expression pained. “Look, I’m not really French. And my name isn’t Jean, it’s John. John French. I was born in Brooklyn, ok! I was just trying to go for something exotic, y’know, something mysterious. It helps with my rep, and, y’know, with the ladies.”

“Does it now?” I don’t bother to hide the skepticism I feel about his prospects with anyone of the female persuasion. “And how’s that working for your? No, wait, don’t answer that. I really don’t want to know. Let’s get back to my other question, about what you know about the handgun market around here.”

‘Johnny’ chews on his lip for a couple seconds, like he’s trying to make up his mind about something. Then, after a few moments of silent hesitation, he reaches into another pocket and takes out his cell phone.

“I don’t do guns, not personally, I don’t want them here in the club. They’re bad for business; someone gets upset and all of a sudden you got bullets flying around the place. But there’s this guy, see, and the word is that he’s the guy you go to when your trying to permanently resolve your differences with someone else.”

“And he handles the gun running for Seattle?”

Johnny offers up a half shrug. “Maybe, maybe not. I told you, I don’t do that kinda stuff. But if he isn’t then he’ll know who is. I’ve got his number right here on my phone: go talk to him.”

Right as I start to reach for my own phone it vibrates, telling me I’m getting a call. I flip it open and am surprised to see Captain Yamashita’s desk number.

“Calavera here. What can I do for you, Captain?”

Before he’d even answered I had a feeling that I wasn’t going to like what I was about to hear.

“I thought you should know, Calavera, there’s been another murder.”

The second half of Chapter 4's up now, as I'm sure you can see. ;)

Finally caught up, and I have to say that I'm quite intrigued by this "Aztec Magic." You've raised the spectre of the supernatural before (zombies, for one) only to later explain away. But the Timepiece(s) proves the existence of forces we would consider "supernatural" so it could go either way. My hunch, though, is that it's somehow a trick and that only the Timepieces are truly "magic."

VILenin said:
The second half of Chapter 4's up now, as I'm sure you can see. ;)

Finally caught up, and I have to say that I'm quite intrigued by this "Aztec Magic." You've raised the spectre of the supernatural before (zombies, for one) only to later explain away. But the Timepiece(s) proves the existence of forces we would consider "supernatural" so it could go either way. My hunch, though, is that it's somehow a trick and that only the Timepieces are truly "magic."

Hooray for the bonus and hooray for catching up ! An excellent little detour we went into with the Room XD . And great pic for it XD .

As for the Aztec magic , yes you would be right to assume that there has to be a logical explanation for it . Bonus points for anyone who can guess how it works XD ; what the trick is !

canonized said:
As for the Aztec magic , yes you would be right to assume that there has to be a logical explanation for it . Bonus points for anyone who can guess how it works XD ; what the trick is !

If its still the same as what we talked about, I know what it is..

But I won't spoil peoples fun :D :p

canonized said:
Hooray for the bonus and hooray for catching up ! An excellent little detour we went into with the Room XD . And great pic for it XD .

Drugs, snake-poison, shrooms...

The possibilities of mind-altering drugs are many. It might even be psychological torture for all I know.

As to the interesting extra: I like Jean more than John. For the rest: who died? Stop copying canon's cliffhanger fondness!