• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Myth said:
I knew it! even before I read "Lara de Fezensac", I knew that Little China was the other gift given to Renault! :D
as for Tom's reaction to Marcus...I'm not sure what to think of that yet.

Bah ! 50% isn't so bad this chapter ! I'll get you good next time , Mr. Myth !! As for Marcus and Tom , we'll have to see ! :eek:

I'd been avoiding nonhumor AARs til I got a copy of eu3 myself (which in China, a working, nonpirated, non中文 copy might take a while to find...) but I saw myth's link to his canonization - what a pleasant idea! and so well done!

kudos & .subby.
j.

Obligatory invitation/plug :)
And should you have a copy of CK lying around someplace, your name is ideal should you ever want to get canonized yrself!

Llywelyn said:
I'd been avoiding nonhumor AARs til I got a copy of eu3 myself (which in China, a working, nonpirated, non中文 copy might take a while to find...) but I saw myth's link to his canonization - what a pleasant idea! and so well done!

kudos & .subby.
j.

Obligatory invitation/plug :)
And should you have a copy of CK lying around someplace, your name is ideal should you ever want to get canonized yrself!

Ahh thank you for the nice comments ! As a matter of fact I do have CK lying around and I checked out that wonderful collab AAR when it was showcased so I'll give it serious thought ! Thanks again ^^

March 31, 1852
small typo, but looks a bit strange ;)

great update once more

Grubnessul said:
small typo, but looks a bit strange ;)

great update once more

ahh thanks for pointing that out ! Must be getting dyslexia ! Thanks for reading ^^

Sling Shot said:
One word: WOW!

Thank you very much and welcome aboard ! I'm very glad to always see new faces come join the readership ! I hope it will continue to be a good story for you as it progresses ! Thanks again for your patronage !

Panzerkardinal said:
I'm glad to see the Cardinal reward Renault for all of his hard work.. he deserves it !

Great update good sir, and I can't wait to see the next chapter. The title is so ominous ! Silence... ooh.. chilly. :eek:

Thank you my friend ! And I hope you enjoyed seeing the Cardinal in action again ! XD

canonized said:
someone was ripping out his bottom jaw and his eyes were imploding

:rofl: I love that.

rcduggan said:
:rofl: I love that.

Haha , I half-had Total Recall in mind when I was writing it . Although that would be eyes exploding instead of imploding , oh well !

chapter25tile.gif

Chapter XXV: Silence​

April 5, 1582

“I don’t understand it,” Jakob said aloud with so much frustration that he almost slipped into his native German tongue.

That young doctor hovered above the bed of his master Antonio with clenched fists and a downcast head. For days now their master had continued to be confined to his bed ultimately weak and unable to move or even talk. It was the strangest thing Jakob observed. Already, that doctor had confirmed that most of the internal injuries had healed but still Don Antonio was as pale and weak as the hour they brought him out of the water.

Isabella, who had taken her post once again on the side of the bed with her hands clasped against Antonio’s, looked up at Jakob with great anxiety.

“What do you think it could mean? I mean surely he’s been conscious these past few days and he can drink and eat crushed food…”

It was true, despite the weak state, they were at least able to feed the young nobleman pre-ground grains and other essentials for survival as well as water. Unfortunately, without the ability to masticate anything else, Antonio was already growing thinner. Jakob couldn’t find an answer to this lethargic malady that had come over his friend. It was even worse that all the young nobleman could muster to speak was a wispy sigh before passing out from straining himself.

“We’ll have to transfer him back to Madrid,” Jakob said decisively as he watched his patient shifting between weak consciousness and silent sleep. “With the tools and other doctors there I can probably find out what’s causing all this.”

Isabella didn’t bother to look up at the doctor as that one explained the plan and walked away to make preparations. Instead, she gingerly rubbed her fingers against the dehydrated skin of Antonio’s hand. Feeling the bones underneath disturbed her. That gallant, young, and healthy Lord had always been so energetic and full of life. This was a torment to watch such a handsome young man fall ill like this.

As that lady warmed Antonio’s hand, her instincts noticed the subtle movement of shadow along the bedside. Turning her head with some alarm she greatly startled Akanishi-san holding a silver tray with him.

“Oh I’m sorry, Akanishi, I didn’t hear you coming,” Isabella said apologetically before turning back to the bed ridden Antonio.

“It’s quite alright, milady,” Akanishi-san replied watching her carefully before placing the tray on the table next to them. “Antonio’s medicine,” Akanishi added with as much sincerity to his voice as possible.

“Thank you,” Isabella said kindly in between her worrisome attention turning briefly to see that tall figure and flash a smile to him.

Akanishi’s talents at alchemy were definitely put to good use, at least according to Jakob. Having heard Matsujun’s praises of his father, it had come as a natural consequence of the complexity of Antonio’s condition. Akanishi, however, was unable to give Jakob any help on this particular case, although he did propose some medication which he volunteered to manufacture.

As Akanishi turned the corner of the doorway from that room where the young master continued to rest, he passed one more look and nearly souring his face in frustration. Why did she have to be there, he thought almost angrily.

---​

April 6, 1582

“Are you sure this is a wise idea?” Isabella questioned the tall figure in front of her.

Despite Cardinal DeWitt being seated, his upper body still towered above the rest of those convened at that table. The main guest room in Little China had been cleared out save a few individual and a few Lion guards in order to conduct this briefing.

A single lamp swayed above all of the serious faces. Grubby, provisional military liaison; Sweet, chief operative; Isabella, spy master and strategic consultant; Jakob, heir-apparent Substitute and head Lion; Renault, new Viceroy of California; and lastly the Panzerkardinal current Substitute while Antonio was still incapacitated were all present in that chamber.

“I’d have to agree,” Sweet enjoined, “if we were to split up the keys among agents within the Empire it would be harder for anyone to track them or to get all of them before we would know.”

Unlike the others, Sweet leaned against the shadow of the rear wall behind his mistress. Grubby, on the right side of Isabella moved his body closer to the lamplight shining onto the table.

“I must protest, as much as I have faith in the covert capabilities of our friends in the espionage department, a strong military force protecting all of the Keys at a centralized location would provide the safest protection.”

Cardinal DeWitt brooded quietly at the broad end of the table ruffling his beard with his hand. Jakob similarly moved forward into the light and addressed the others.

“Despite military presence, we must also not discount the possibility of instability and rebellion. One event in Madrid could cause the entire safety network protecting the Keys and Timepieces to be vulnerable. I’d have to agree with Sweet when I say that the vastness of the Empire is our only advantage.”

“Then it’s decided,” the Cardinal toned loudly. “Renault.”

“Yes, Your Eminence?” Renault quickly responded moving forward into the light.

“We will start the project with you first. I will send orders to have one of the Key pairs transported here and I’ll send agents to bolster your security.”

“As you wish, Your Eminence.”

“Which ones are you sending this far out?” Isabella asked curiously.

At that, the Cardinal seemed to have a little glimmer in his eye. “We’ll send the London Jerusalem pair; the ones that we nearly lost to the Lutherans in Ulster.”

Isabella seemed to smile at the simplicity of the idea. Kill two birds with one stone, she thought. That particular pair of keys, she remembered, had been entrusted to a Catholic family from Beirut which had moved to Ulster along with the keys. Unfortunately, the spread of Lutheranism had claimed most of the family and the Keys were in danger of falling into heretical hands. By transporting what was left of the Catholic side of the family over here, they could secure the Keys from the heretics as well as execute the Cardinal’s plan.

“I’ll start making arrangements for their safekeeping,” Renault added.

“Excellent,” the Cardinal said conclusively, “now let’s make preparations to return to Madrid, I fear the most now for the Duke’s health.”

---​

April 7, 1582

The ferry had been ready and the accommodations had been made. The new Viceroy Renault had made sure that all speed was given to the handling of this delicate situation. An honour guard of the Lions along with the Panzerkardinal himself was to accompany the ferry to the port of San Diego in the south before riding by carriage to Corpus Christi and then sailing via Havana and the Azores back to Lisboa.

It was not the only treasure being transported through that route, with Renault at the administrative head, tax and tariff collection had risen by at least ten percent and would be sent before the April 15th deadline to the coffers back at the home country. Strangely enough, it wasn’t even done with the raising of tax levels at all, but it was Renault’s ingenious idea of giving tax incentives to businesses which re-invested their profits into creating more jobs when he was working as Imperial Inspector that was beginning to pay dividends even on the first week of his administration.

It was indeed on that fine misty morning in San Francisco that Renault and the rest of the newly formed Viceroyalty including his secretary of education Carmen and his trusty chief of staff Amin stood at the new rebuilt piers of the port to bid the home-bound party a safe journey and Godspeed.

Despite the fanfare of fireworks from the Chinese community for the sailing of the ferry towards the southern coast of his new Viceroyalty, Renault and those who remained in the know of state secrets quietly gazed anxiously as the ailing body of their master was being transported through the misty aperture of the San Francisco bay. Loss of him now would only mean instability in the Kingdom.

“Do you think he’ll be alright?” Amin asked nervously as he followed his Maestro down the wooden dock. He stood at Renault’s left whereas Carmen flanked him on the right.

“I’m sure Master Jakob can take care of him, I’m more worried about the recent pirate activity along the coast. Especially since we haven’t even found out about that Chinese merchant ship that sunk the San Martin,” Renault replied furrowing his brow.

The moist atmosphere clung coldly against the nostrils of those three and the mysterious nature of the recent events including the incapacitation of their master seemed to hang on their minds like the mass of mist clinging to the city.

The entourage that followed them began to disperse amongst the various avenues and the clamouring of hammer against wood and nail dominated the hearing as much as the earthbound cloud obscured the eyes and smell. But for the three of them, the strange intermingling scent of wood chips and wet air seemed like an earthy baptism and incense. They were watching the rebirth of a city and the rise of a colonial system which spanned almost all of the New World.

As they made their way to the carriages awaiting them, the sun was just beginning to shed some warmth onto the dirt roads of that colonial town. As Renault sat on his carriage seat across from this two close associates, the frills on his ceremonial garb seemed to sag from the intruding moisture in the atmosphere.

“That reminds me,” Carmen said suddenly as the coach jumped into movement, “did you remember to give the antidote to Akanishi before he left?”

Renault nearly laughed at that, “of course, I’m not that absent-minded. Though for some reason he nearly forgot about it himself.”

“Something distracting him perhaps?” Amin asked as he held onto the side of the carriage to balance himself in the hop and skip of the coach.

“Apparently so,” Renault admitted before looking out the window towards the fast disappearing port district, “luckily he said he and his son would stay with the rest to keep helping Don Antonio’s recovery. He’s quite good at medicine so I hear.”

Carmen smiled as she looked towards Renault, “well that makes me feel a little bit better,” she added, “looks like Don Antonio is in good hands.”

---​

Akanishi-san looked at the metallic object with a kind of dreaded curiosity. The shining steel needle was long but not too long to stick out of his pocket. At one end it was decorated by a delicate intermingling of steel against steel accentuated by a semi-precious stone in the middle. The far end was a surprisingly sharp tip. He rubbed his forefingers along the length of it and contemplated deeply as he watched the shimmering reflection of candlelight off of the surface. He must do it, he thought to himself.

Pocketing the object again and turning behind him and looking around, he began mixing the medicinal powder into the water and tapped the sepia coloured glass until all the powder created a murky pool inside the cup. He took hold of the tray in front of him and picked it up careful to balance each vessel despite the swaying of that ferry ship.

The ferry ship itself was like any other ship used by the colonial fleet. Relatively small and built for speed, it was poorly armed and was used mostly to transport goods and gold. In this case, the large hold housed the revenues of the Viceroyalty and the captain’s cabin was being inhabited by the weak Antonio. It was to this chamber that Akanishi now brought his tray.

Antonio was once again asleep from his weakness. Taking one step at a time as if each approaching movement would awaken the man, Akanishi brought himself to the side table. Despite the cool weather of the northern ocean, he was sweating streams. He was lucky this time around, he thought to himself. His constant guardian was atop deck and it seemed that Don Antonio had been left alone.

Placing the tray down on the table, he then approached the fatigued patient. Looking down at that frail frame he paused quietly. Reaching San Diego would mean he would lose him, he thought. He must do it soon. The silvery object exited his pocket once more and the piercing edge made his eyes shine in that reflected light. He stared at the object and then back towards Antonio. He had to do it.

“Akanishi-san!” was the sudden cry from the doorway. Akanishi himself nearly stabbed his own belly as he rushed to pocket that metal object. Quickly turning he found Jakob at the door with a concerned look on his face.

“What’s wrong, Jakob?” Akanishi said almost stuttering.

“You’d better fetch your son, we’re under attack.”

“Attack?” Akanishi asked as Jakob rushed away from the portal. Turning quickly back towards Antonio for a moment before looking back towards the door, Akanishi quickly ran outward with a frustrated grunt.

“Jun!” he called out as he sped down through the hall in search of his boy.

Above deck the Lions were gathering along with the seamen and Grubby’s marines as they unfurled their sails to full. Despite being only a few miles from San Francisco, one could see clearly the incoming vessel heading on an intercept course and the intermittent cannon fire aimed in their direction. While the Cardinal hastily appeared on deck with his massive armour, Sweet signaled downward to Grubby and his men.

“What is he signaling?” the Cardinal boomed as he approached the side of their vessel.

“He’s spotted the colours of the vessel,” Grubby responded, “It’s flying the colours of the Ming.”

interlude2.gif

Interlude

When Tom began running, Rodrigo quickly followed him. Marcus had simply stood by at the edge of the table with an amused laugh. Wrestling through the crowds Tom pushed his way rudely through the mass of individuals partying and conversing with one another. Beset by a mélange of masks and costumes along with the sheer size of the room, he did not even know where he was running to. Anywhere but around that freak, he said to himself.

“This way, Tom!” Rodrigo called out as Tom felt his collar and jacket being grabbed from behind.

Turned in another direction, Tom seemed to instinctively trust his friend as he led them towards a door at the side of the grand eastern style interior. Bursting through the door and into an office like space, Rodrigo quickly slammed the door behind them and locked it as Tom continued to run forward but finding that it was a closed room.

Suddenly realizing his trapped condition he turned back to his friend who now approached him.

“This way, there’s a secret passage through here,” Rodrigo said with such energy that it was in stark contrast to his dispassionate stance just a few moments ago.

Tapping against the back wall, the paper like barrier with dragons and phoenixes slid apart and the two entered the opening. Unable to think with the adrenaline rushing through his veins, Rodrigo had led Tom into an elevator which quickly shut.

“Don’t worry Tom,” Rodrigo reassured. “I’ll get you out of here.”

Tom was bent over slightly with his hands on his knees panting from the recent sprint. Rodrigo placed a hand on his stooped shoulder.

“What is IT doing here?!” Tom said mostly to himself as if he was almost on the verge of a rancorous cry.

Rodrigo said nothing. His caring expression changed back to that stoic dispassionate stare as the elevators reopened. Edging his comrade along, they entered a strange chamber.

“Where’s the exit?” Tom said suddenly facing a strange marble room with a low ceiling.

The extent of the room seemed to spread out for a few dozen meters and the marble floor and ceiling was supported on several parts of the room with columns of similar stone. The sheen of the room was lit by electrical lamps strategically placed along the side corners of the rectangular space giving the same kind of glow one would see at a mausoleum. Tom suddenly felt very cold.

“What’s going on Rodrigo?” Tom demanded looking to his friend who began to step forward into the room. Before Tom could turn around to the elevator, the elevator doors closed.

“Welcome back, Mr. Royce,” was the familiar ambiguous voice. It startled Tom so much that he started looking around thinking that he saw black wings emanating from behind one of the columns. In his bewilderment, he could only look back to his walking friend as he approached the other end of the room.

That’s when he noticed it: a large embossed relief on the far side of the marble enclosure. Despite the sameness of the stone, he could definitely make out the image. It was a shield, a crest, and upon it was a familiar picture. It was his family’s emblem: twin keys.

“Welcome back to your Family’s tomb, Mr. Royce,” came the voice again.

Tom quickly ran towards Rodrigo on the far side of the room hoping to find some kind of explanation to this madness. As he came closer and closer to his friend, the image of the keys stood out larger and larger. Tomb, he thought. He’s never been here before, he wanted to cry out!

His panting run could be heard throughout the chamber in echoes and he saw Rodrigo slowly turn around to face him. That was when a face erupted from behind one of the marble columns. The hideous maddened gaze of Marcus Councilman poisoned his vision like a drop of oil in the clear water of that low room. Tom yelled out and nearly fell on the slick floor as he tried to avoid that grinning apparition.

Rodrigo could only watch from the crest-end of the room only a few feet away from Tom. His eyes were downcast as if in rueful contemplation of these actions.

“Now,” Marcus continued as he approached the squirming, fallen Tom, “being a male descended of your family, open these doors for us.” Those last words echoed like a snake’s hiss in the chamber.

“Open the way to the keys entrusted to you, Tom Royce!”

Chapter XXVI: Keys of the Royce Family (coming soon)

I became suspicious of Akanishi from that "sincerely" onward
shiftyeyes.gif

as for Tom...another possible piece placed in the puzzle! could he be the descendant of the remnants of that catholic family? though at some point they must've converted to protestantism...

Myth said:
I became suspicious of Akanishi from that "sincerely" onward
shiftyeyes.gif

as for Tom...another possible piece placed in the puzzle! could he be the descendant of the remnants of that catholic family? though at some point they must've converted to protestantism...

Hehe , I wonder why Akanishi would want to harm our dear Antonio , though !Afterall he's reunited with his son now ! Hmm what's going on here ! As for Tom , we'll have to see !

:eek: Secrets, betrayal, surprises! And all put forth clearly and concisely with just the right amount of dramatic flair! Best update yet :)

EDIT: How do you take/ post screenshots?

Last edited:
kleomenes said:
:eek: Secrets, betrayal, surprises! And all put forth clearly and concisely with just the right amount of dramatic flair! Best update yet :)

EDIT: How do you take/ post screenshots?

Thank you very much ! Yes this was a fun chapter to write and a lot of things converging together ! Screenshots ? I'm afraid I'm not quite sure what you mean (since I haven't used game screenshots yet) could you be more specific ? I'll be happy to answer ^^

Bonus: Added a new Prologue Plate on Page 1 ! I found it quite a cool idea , tell me what you think :D

One of my favorite lines:
canonized said:
“Haha, why do you think our Catholic Church invented Universities? To know science is to know the hand of God, Renault. Who do you think invented the concept of Mathematics? God did! Laws of nature may define our world, but who defined the Laws of Nature in the beginning? One truth can never contradict another; so it is with religion and science. Science that attempts to disprove revelation and misguided theologians who don’t accept the complex mastery of God’s plan to include science are equally misled. Just as philosophy is the handmaid of theology, so it is with science and humanity, my good friend.”
This is quite a work! I must confess I cannot "see" the approaching nexus between the past and the present, but I can sense its coming. Looking forward to seeing how it works out.

Much more to say, but I'll wait on that...

Rensslaer

Rensslaer said:
One of my favorite lines:

This is quite a work! I must confess I cannot "see" the approaching nexus between the past and the present, but I can sense its coming. Looking forward to seeing how it works out.

Much more to say, but I'll wait on that...

Rensslaer

Thanks ! I rather enjoyed writing it . It came out almost lyrically ! P.S. Update coming in a few hours !

chapter26tile.gif

Chapter XXVI: Keys of the Royce Family​

April 7, 1582

Sebastian struggled against the window to close it. Against the gilded glass, even that strong young man had some trouble shutting it as if this castle opening was some old Leviathan’s maw spewing icy daggers of water into his bedroom with every howl of its breath.

The victorious crash of his arms closing the window was greeted by the thunderous roll of lightning splitting the air. It had been close, only a second earlier did the light of it inverted the shadows on Sebastian’s handsome face.

“Father says God’s angry with us,” an innocent boy said sitting casually on the edge of the bed in that room. His voice was only barely audible against the steady slicing of water against window pane.

“Well your father’s probably right, Harry,” Sebastian responded as he bolted the window and shook some residual droplets out of his straight auburn hair. When he looked forward again past the diagonal crosshatching of the window, he could see the muddy deluge erupting below along the streets of Belfast. Even if lightning continued to strike, he doubted anything could catch fire in the mélange of water and dirt on the streets.

Among the corridors of the city were the rushing figures of mothers holding their babies and merchants attempting to save their wares from the movement of the street-rivers. In his family’s journey from Beirut to Belfast, they had stopped by the city of Venice. The gruesome scene he saw below made him wonder if this is what Venice would look like if it sunk into Hell.

Oh no, it wasn’t just the rain storm that had come over the city. Even now he could still see it, people looting from the shops, brigands taking advantage of the distracted local constabulary to rob homes. Already hundreds of the poor of the city were seeking refuge at the local cathedral and here at the castle.

Truly Hellish, he thought. But then again Belfast had been long since a hotbed of unrest. The traditionally Protestant Irish were almost completely displaced by the Catholic Spaniards in that province of Ulster. Even if they tried to move away from the city, the traditionally Catholic English occupied the rest of the Emerald Isle.

It was true, Sebastian recounted as he watched the draining cascade of water against the pane obscuring the view of the city. It was as if the wavy image announced his journey to the thoughts of the past. Ulster had once been a free state much like the rest of that island’s counties. When Lutheran missionaries arrived from southern Germany, most of the population welcomed them unlike their English counterparts across the Irish Sea. The reign of the Lutheran Kings who took control of their local churches was short lived, however. It had not been long until the Spanish Armada arrived off the coast of Munster with their English vassals.

Seeing as how these monarchs who had ruled the cities were given their position Dei Gracia—or by the Grace of God for most of the population who didn’t go to primary school—the invaders had reasoned that their sovereignty in every sense of the word was no longer valid once they fell into heresy. So began the occupation.

Sebastian saw another crack in the fabric of the sky as white hot light touched a metal weathervane from a warehouse nearby. The noise that came next was like the sound of a regiment of cavaliers passing on a dirt road.

Sebastian Royce looked back at the boy playing with wooden caricatures of soldiers on his bed. His younger cousin Harry was one such Lutheran who was now living through the occupation.

No, this young lad was not Lutheran by birth, he had joined that local congregation when his father, Henry Royce converted along with his side of the family. Sebastian, on the other hand, like his father, remained steadfast in his Catholic faith.

“I’m sorry it had to rain,” Sebastian told his young cousin, “I had wanted to take you to the gardens they’ve put up and maybe teach you to fish at the pond.”

The young one just gave him a simple nod and smile. Growing up for most of his life here in Ulster gave young Harry a sort of carefree mentality. Unlike his older cousin Sebastian, Harry did not have to live through most of his life under the watchful eye of the Muslim Persians and the Ottomans that came after them. In actuality, Sebastian was probably more excited to visit the gardens and pond than his younger kinsman.

Walking over to his young cousin and turning his face into a casual smile, he chose to appreciate Harry’s almost spoiled life experience instead of resenting it. Coming from a noble English lineage of hardened warriors that had moved to Antioch during the crusades of the 12th century, the Royce family remained in the Holy Land even after the defeat of the Crusader States. Thanks to the Spaniards who came at the beginning of the decade, they were finally liberated to be as carefree as this youngest of their clan—they could play with toy soldiers instead of be them.

Even the Christian civil war that had erupted remained quite civil within the Royce family. Cutting the clan in half between the two eldest brothers of the family did hurt all of them like a nasty divorce, but at least it did not erupt into the kind of fighting like those on the streets of Belfast.

Sebastian’s father, Edward, had believed that the Society of Jesus missionaries—which had already converted a majority of the Protestants back to the Church—would be enough to convince his brother Henry to return. Sebastian shared his father’s hope.

“Cousin Sebastian,” Harry suddenly said looking up from the edge of the bed to Sebastian and calling him out of his thoughts, “Why does father keep complaining that he’s lost his keys?”

Sebastian’s smile seemed to falter, but he kept it with his best ability as he asked almost nervously, “Keys? What do you mean, Harry?”

“Father keeps saying that Uncle Edward stole his keys. But I don’t get it; he’s still got all the keys on that big ring of his to open all the locks back at home. What kind of keys does he mean?”

Sebastian sat down on the other side of the bed and thought carefully about Harry’s question. The angelic stare of his cousin continued on awaiting an honest answer. At first Sebastian just nodded trying to gain himself some more time. Then he quickly looked up at the door as if half expecting someone to have been watching.

“You know, Harry, why don’t I show you?” Sebastian proposed, getting up and walking towards the doorway.

---​

“Hold! Hold!” roared Cardinal DeWitt as his massive armoured hand swept three of the incoming sailors off their feet just as they leaped over the low parapet of the ferry.

The Cardinal and his Lions with weapons drawn clashed defiantly against the waves of incoming sailors from the Chinese merchant-warship. Grubby and his small team of “grunts” and “raiders” as he called them were on their left flank similarly repelling incoming invaders.

As the mounting wave of merchant men reached their side of the small gap between the ships, the Cardinal was more worried about the reloading cannons along the side of that Chinese ship’s hull. The dark iron bulbs now protruded outward from their housing within the ship and were but a few inches from the gunports of his little ferry.

“Now, Isabella, they’re open!” Jakob yelled out.

Like crows darting through the air, twelve wraith-like figures crossed the span between the two ships and mounted themselves upon the edges of those offensive cannons. The coup de grace, the Cardinal thought as he watched Isabella and her covert team begin slicing away at the unfortunate inhabitants along the gun deck.

The alarm of the sudden intrusion was not lost to the invading opponents. Unable to get past the staunch line of the Spaniards, and now being outflanked at the very guns they had sought to sink their enemies with, there was a cry from the bridge of the vessel—it was beginning to move away.

“They’re falling back!” one of the Lions suddenly called out as the grappling hooks began to disengage from the side of the ferry. Despite the lack of melee, the sound of sword against flesh and the occasional explosion began to emanate from the smoking deck that housed the enemy ship’s guns.

They were clever, the Cardinal thought, hiding guns below deck to make them seem like a merchant vessel. But they were not the only ones with a trick or two up their sleeve.

“The ship is banking starboard it’s attempting to go back out to sea!” another Lion called out.

“Not yet they don’t!” growled the Cardinal. Grasping his lance firmly with his hand and turning his body sideways, he once again looked like to have hopped twice before throwing his weapon forward. Penetrating the hull of the ship like a bullet, he grabbed hold of the chain connecting his weapon to his back and then grabbed the main mast of the ferry.

“Get Over Here!” the Cardinal boomed as he pulled on the links. With his torpedo of a lance lodged near the front of the boat, its direction began to correct itself against the will of the rudder and once again come parallel to the ferry.

“Now is the time, gentlemen, forward!” yelled Grubby to his grunts as they grabbed hold of the Cardinal’s chain and began crossing the gap hand over hand. Taking advantage of the chaos of Isabella’s small group fighting their way to the top deck, Grubby and his small force were able to board the enemy ship. The tables had turned.

---​

Harry was starry eyed when he looked at those old objects laid bare in front of him. They were about the size of his little forearm but they looked terribly old. It was their antique nature that seemed to shine the most in the dim lamplight of the keep’s inner sanctum.

“What are these for?” Harry asked with his eyes still captivated by the objects in front of him.

“Something rather important, Harry, though I’m not quite sure,” Sebastian responded as he lifted the lamp higher above them allowing him to lean in further to investigate the object for himself. “Father hasn’t told me enough about them…”

Both of them looked at the silvery objects not at all degraded by any rust or stain. Their perfect sheen reflected cylindrical satires of their figures and the closer one got to them the more they seemed to give off a ringing sound. Whereas young Harry was indulging his senses at these forbidden objects, Sebastian saw something else.

On the reflective surface he could still see that face: those light blues framed by strands of golden brown. The face he remembered had the grin of mischief hand in hand with strength and confidence. However, the image he now lost himself in still portrayed a sense of insecurity, a sense of romance.

He thought back fully now, to the day when they had met. She had just delivered these strange keys to his father and it was in passing that they had seen each other. When cast against an open window, Sebastian thought he could see right through that girl’s eyes onto the sky.

His heart moved in the tension between calming remembrance and blushing excitement. He let out a faint breath before whispering “Isabella…”

“What’s this box for, Sebastian?” Harry interrupted.

Blinking his head downwards and immediately putting up a silly smile, Sebastian followed the boy’s pointing finger to the box immediately next to the keys. A bit of a large chest like container with a flat top, the box was a brass gilded metallic affair. It seemed to almost shine just as well as the keys.

“That’s where we’re going to put them in, apparently. It’s a special puzzle box.”

“A puzzle box! Can we play with it?” came the sprite like jubilations of Harry eagerly moving himself closer to the container. Sebastian once again chose to go along with the boy’s alacrity for jovial things.

“Sure, but it’s not much of a puzzle. See these little pegs here?”

Harry nodded.

“Well you have to pull them out and put them on the flat groove on top. If you can fit the right ones into the right places, the springs inside will let the box open.”

“Sounds easy enough, so how do we know which ones go where?”

They both took a second to look at it carefully and Harry began picking out some of the pegs from the side of the box while he waited for a response.

“Well, Dad did tell me there was a trick to this… give me a moment I’ll try and remember it.”

Watching his older cousin move the various numbered blocks in place onto the wide groove at the top, little Harry waited patiently. Over and over again, he followed with his prodigious eyes the placement of all those pegs. By the time Sebastian would have finished figuring it out, that older one might have been surprised to know how well Harry would remember every move.

---​

Akanishi washed his hands from the blood. Another patient was now saved to live another day. He was not used to aiding individuals with his medicine except through his pharmaceuticals; the blood stained on his hands seemed to chill him.

“Sorry to make you do this,” Jakob announced said coming in through portal to that rear hold where they had kept the wounded.

“Oh it’s quite alright, Master Jakob,” responded Akanishi as he finished wiping his hands. “I understand you had an important meeting.”

“Yes,” Jakob replied almost in passing as he straightaway made his rounds through the beds checking the various patients injured during the fighting. “We were interrogating one of the captured seamen from the other ship.”

“Good,” Akanishi replied almost too enthusiastically before loitering at the water bowl pretending to rewash his hands, “learn anything interesting?”

“Apparently,” Jakob began as he lifted some of the bandages to inspect some of the more serious wounds, “it was no coincidence that we were found this easily. The sailor said we have a spy on board.”

The splashing of water in Akanishi’s bowl stopped. His body became stiff but he was lucky enough to not be facing the doctor while that one was occupied with checking the bandages.

“A spy?” Akanishi let out. He did not have to try hard to act surprised. “Did he say who it was?”

“No, looks like that’s all he knew,” Jakob sighed. “But I wouldn’t worry about it; we’re setting a trap for him.”

Akanishi merely nodded and dried his hands once more. If he wasn’t so conscious of himself he would have placed his hand into his pocket. The metal spike of a pin he was carrying felt like it was scratching his side.

interlude2.gif

Interlude​

“I just need to know some information, Professor Cole, nothing more. I didn’t mean to bother you in your home but this is important.”

Father Francis sat on the supple leather seat studded by brass buttons with his hat neatly placed above his knees. His cup of earl gray remained only sipped once before it had been left on the table to waft a prayer of mist towards the heavens.

Professor Joshua Vance Cole was an Australian archeologist who now worked at the University of Cologne. It hadn’t been hard to track him down seeing as how they both once taught in the same general area, but aside from that, the two professors’ acquaintance ended.

“You came all the way to Germany to ask for some information? This better be important, Father Xavier.”

In contrast to the crow’s nest of a humble man that was Father Francis Xavier, Professor Cole was a generously endowed person atop his crown. Aside from sporting half curly brown hair that seemed to ruffle across his top like interlocking tidal waves, Professor Cole spoke through a thick beard and moustache.

As Father Francis Xavier looked at him, he couldn’t help but realize the hefty size of the Professor as his Victorian style suit seemed to be as unsuited for his size as it was for the time in which they lived.

“Yes, my sponsor and I were excavating in Mecca the other day and we came upon several artifacts. Some metal objects… and some clothing. I wanted to ask you to test a certain object’s authenticity.”

In the cozy apartment home of Professor Cole, there was no sound in the house except the crackling heat of the fireplace. Even on this warm night, the Professor insisted on having the heat source on producing a fine film of sweat along his brow. Professor Cole gave a reluctant nod with a grunt.

Reaching to the side of him to a plastic bag, Father Francis carefully placed a tattered uniform like jacket onto the table in front of them.

“This must be a joke!” Professor Cole stormed rising from his seat. Instinctively Father Xavier rose as well but more so in utter surprise of the impassioned cry.

“First of all, Father Xavier, this could never have come from Mecca and second of all you do know it is illegal here in the province of Germany to show… to show this!” Professor Cole yelled out again immediately taking a newspaper nearby to cover the armband insignia on the uniform. “Are you trying to get me arrested?!”

“I’m afraid this is no joke, Professor Cole,” was the response from the figure sitting on the opposite side of the room. Until now, Duke Jimenes had kept himself quiet in the room with these two intellectuals. It was now time to inform the other Professor just how dangerous the situation was and how necessary his skills will be.

---​

Tom did not even notice where the two men came from. In his delirium of confusion he had been taken by his two arms upward by these two strangers. Forced towards the crested wall, he was feeling faint when he saw the barrier part and a miniature chamber reveal itself to those standing by.

“Bring him to the box,” he heard Marcus order the other two as his feet dragged on the floor. Perhaps it was the thin atmosphere of that basement chamber that made him feel so strange and it was perhaps that strange feeling that sparked the intense feeling of familiarity to the object in front of him.

From the periphery of his vision he saw Rodrigo walk ahead of him. The box itself was a brass gilded object raised up on a cylindrical stone column underneath a single circular light above. Rodrigo was already carefully taking off the pegs from the sides of the object.

“We’ve tried every conceivable combination of pegs in the grooves,” Rodrigo began to explain dispassionately. That young man did not even look at Tom as he spoke; instead, a shadow was cast by his bangs across the top of his face. Tom could not see his friend’s eyes anymore—he only heard that monotonous voice.

But it was not Rodrigo’s voice that caught his attention. Finding the strength in his feet again while still being restrained by the two other men, Tom stood in front of the box and approached it with easy familiarity. It was like a reflex, his memory took hold of his muscles and he placed the pegs one by one into the sockets.

Rodrigo, as well as the two suited men, stepped back almost surprised by the sudden working of Tom and one could see the dark figure of Marcus approaching Tom from behind. Tom’s hands were nimble and silent, but when he placed one of the pegs atop another, that’s when all eyes widened. That was the secret, they all thought, they had been attempting to find the peg combinations two dimensionally, they had not thought of a three dimensional solution.

With the proper weight above the proper grooves, a momentary pause dominated the thin air until a click which would have normally been as faint as the ticking of a clock was heard to be like the cracking of an iceberg off a glacier. The box opened.

Gazing into the almost glowing interior of the box, Marcus’s pupils focused against the light but then turned immediately towards Rodrigo with contracted brows.

With a grin erupting as fast as a Venus fly trap captures its prey, Rodrigo quietly said, “Captain DeWitt; engage.”

---​

Professor Cole looked out of the window of his apartment at the two figures walking away. He had been shaken by the revelations but the preliminary evidence was undeniable. Despite the security that was now placed about his home, he had still agreed to do as he was asked and examine the various pieces of clothing left behind. Still, he could not help but look down at those two who had now completely shifted the very focus of his career—perhaps even his life.

“Do you think we’ll find out where all of this is heading?” Father Francis asked as he walked with the Duke down towards the awaiting limousine.

“From the uniforms? I’m not sure; I think that the evidence here will at least give us a clue to where in the Empire to search specifically for the Wolves.”

As they boarded the limousine, the priest was obviously in deep thought. The engine started and Duke Jimenes sat perpendicular to his friend before giving out a small sigh. “I wonder what your favourite detective would say about this, Father.”

Startled out of his contemplation, Father Francis almost laughed at the ridiculous question, “I’m sure he’d say that ‘zee little gray cells’ could not even solve this one, I’m afraid.”

They both shared a small chuckle. As the skyline of suburban Cologne passed in the cool evening tinted even darker by the windows, those two kept themselves barely warm in the Northern weather which even penetrated the inside of that cabin.

The frozen air between them was suddenly electrocuted by the sound of the car phone. Duke Jimenes picked it up.

“Yes?”

Father Francis looked on anxiously. He watched the facial expressions of his friend seem to thaw the longer he held the phone to his ear.

“I understand,” Duke Jimenes said with a smile before putting down the phone.

“What happened?” Father Francis asked nearly dropping his hat off his lap as he leaned forward to hear any news.

“The Kutch Science Institute just identified a localized Doppler effect in seismic activity: the Timepiece is being moved. It’s moving across Afghanistan towards the county of Islamabad in the province of Pakistan,” and this was where the Duke turned his warm smile into a grin, “where we will have men waiting.”

Chapter XXVII: Counter-Trap (coming soon)