• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
kleomenes said:
Very good! This AAR is great. I love the description and the cliff hangers.

Also:

huh :confused: misunderstanding I suppose?

Thanks ! Oh and that was my mistake XD Confused you with Kelendor for a second , my bad !! :eek:o Maybe i'm getting senile ! :wacko:

Heads up , fans ! I wanted to let you guys know that the new AARland Choice Awards now has an EU3 section ! Please go there and fill out the form to vote for Timelines as Favourite Narrative AAR ! I'm counting on you guys to getting the word out ! I also began putting in my votes as well so you can look at some of my top picks and support our friends ! Also , tonight (Saturday morning) we will be posting Myth's interview on this week's You've Been Canonized so look out for that ! Lastly I hope you all are having a solemn Good Friday for all of you Christians out there ! Thanks again for all your support !

canonized said:
Heads up , fans ! I wanted to let you guys know that the new AARland Choice Awards now has an EU3 section ! Please go there and fill out the form to vote for Timelines as Favourite Narrative AAR !

PIMP! :D Ha ha. Already voted. :p (whispers) and thanks for your support. ;)

grayghost said:
PIMP! :D Ha ha. Already voted. :p (whispers) and thanks for your support. ;)

Thanks for voting and thanks for your support and patronage as well ! Good luck to you as well ! ^^

canonizedmyth.png

You've Been Canonized!: Myth​

Good morning everyone and welcome once again to You’ve Been Canonized! our weekly interview segment here at Timelines ! If you’re new to our segment I’m your host canonized author of Timelines: What if Spain Failed to Control the World? Today, our guest will be another WritAAR of the Week and one of our most interesting fans , Myth author of Lamps Before the Wind - A Japanese Revival! As you know, each week we get together here on Timelines with one of the patrons of our thread who happens to be an author and we’re so lucky to have so many ! We will be discussing the author himself , their readership of our AAR , and about their current AAR as well ! I hope you all enjoy it !

Part I: The Myth of Myth
A Look into the Author​

canonized: First , I'd like to say that you're a prolific author . You have at least 3 AARs to your record . When did you join up with the paradox forums and when did you start writing AARs ?

Myth: I joined the Paradox forums in mid/late July, 2005. However, my first AAR I only began in late July 2006, my Bayonets Made of Milk, in cooperation with Discomb.

canonized: What inspired you to begin writing ?

Myth: I've always enjoyed creating my own worlds--before becoming an AAR writer, I designed several scenarios for various games. As for the decisiion to actual begin writing, it came from my friend Discomb. Over the summer of 2006, I had been relaying to him through MSN the progress of one of my games, as Japan. During this game, I sank scores of carriers--the best score for any single of my carriers must've been nearly a dozen. He suggested I turn it into an AAR, but as I hadn't saved any material from the game I decided against it. However, we then decided to write an AAR together.

canonized: You mentioned to me that during the course of your writing career , you've subsequently been attempting to reach a more narrative focus . Especially with your most recent AAR it seems you're succeeding at your goal . Could you tell us why you decided to focus on the narrative route ?

Myth: I've always enjoyed reading stories of high adventure and the like, with colorful characters and interesting locales. I've tried now and then to attempt the same sort of thing when I was younger, though I could never stick to it. I guess my conception of the AAR, where the gameplay is wedded to the story, in various fashions, finally allows me to really try my hand at it. Starting with an incredibly gameplay and screenshot oriented AAR, I'm slowly moving away from it, away from the events and more toward the people who engineer or experience these events.

canonized: As a writer of narrative style AARs as well , not only do I find affinity in your writing but I truly do believe you execute it excellently , and it even shows with you garnering a WritAAR of the Week award last year . We both know that sometimes narrative based AARs aren't as popular as our screenshot heavy cousins , have you come to terms with that ?

Myth: Sure. In part, my beginning with screenshot-heavy gameplay AARs can be seen, after the fact, as a way of introducing myself into the community and building up a group of people I know like my writing and are willing to follow me deeper away from the screenshots and more toward the characters. While my current project will most likely not reach the viewing numbers of its prequel, I personally feel that my writing has improved and I'm satisfied with the direction I'm going in, so it doesn't matter too much.

canonized: Thank you for that candid response . As for your writing itself I've noticed that your characterization is both deeply thought out but at the same time seasoned to flesh out very realistically . Where did you learn to write such realistic characterizations ?

Myth: Are they realistic? I myself am never really completely satisfied with my writing, which is essentially a guided stream of consciousness, and usually actually can't bear to read my own work after a while. I don't suppose that's actually answered the question, so I'll simply say that I don't know.

canonized: Haha alright . Well I'd also like to touch on your particular style as an author although you write in the narrative style , at least in your latest AAR you forego a lot of dialogue in favour of , as you mentioned , a stream of consciousness style narration . What brought you to use this unique approach ?

Myth: I've always written in a stream of consciousness. Even with university essays, I can't create a detailed outline, as I can never stick to it--I just let myself write. So, to apply this to my current AAR, it seems to me that, except in certain exceptional cases, one only remembers the gist of the conversation rather than the actual words. Thus, as my latest AAR is supposed to be a memoir written many years after the events, the only actual conversation that'd remain engrained in Kuribayashi's memory are those exceptional ones--such as the two meetings with Tojo that he has already had.

canonized: How would you say that writing AARs has affected your life outside of the forums ?

Myth: I don't think it really has, beyond the one guy I know personally who is also interested in writing AARs--Discomb. He and I have a handful of ideas lined up for when we next see each other, though we'll surely never manage all or even most of them.

canonized: As a ReadAAR , you're infamous for predicting plotlines and occurrences could you tell us where that habit of prediction started ?

Myth: It probably stems from all the reading I do. While I would certainly not go as far as saying I've read even a good portion of the possible storylines, I've read many. That, and my cynicism, as well as my love of intrigue, usually makes me eschew taking things at face value in favor of trying to look deeper within the meanings of words and sentences. Many storylines are built of essentially the same building blocks, and some building blocks can naturally only be connected to certain others. It is also thus a sense of pattern recognition, of perceiving the building block. Or maybe I'm just lucky.

Part II: Prince of Predictions
A Look into the Reader​

canonized: With that in mind , what're your thoughts on the Timelines storyline(s) ?

Myth: That's a difficult one. I think I'm currently in a wait-and-see mode as I think one of the decisive factors would be Tom's acceptance of his world, if he's reasonably satisfied with it despite his fantasies, or whether he'll be willing to make his fantasies something of a reality. As for Renault and his companions, they currently seem to be the classic group of adventurers in a dungeon and will most likely have to overcome, either by force or guile, several challenges before reaching their final objective. So essentially, I don't think I can predict anything long-term at this moment, though as you've most likely noticed, when it comes to smaller details such as the "tea" and Lara's home, I seem to be reasonably accurate.

canonized: Haha yes you definitely got the tea and Lara’s home although they aren’t as small details as you might let on , I can't evade your predictions all the time ! Actually to be honest one of the reasons why I make the story unpredictable is also because of comments like yours that try to predict the future of the story . Aside from being sometimes unpredictable , what other positive aspects would you say draw you to read Timelines ?

Myth: As I've mentioned before, I enjoy stories of high adventure, as well as of intrigue. Timelines not only manages both, but doubles it by telling not only the tale of Don Antonio, Isabella and the rest but also of Tom, Rodrigo and others as well--and skillfully and intricately links their stories together. It is also very well written, barring some occasionally stylistic errors.

canonized: Ahh yes, thank you hopefully I’ll get an editor sometime soon haha ! As you mentioned earlier , you see a pattern between the storylines in the 1500s and what's going on in the alternate 2007 , would you say that this aspect impresses you as a reader ?

Myth: Oh yes, I think it is the semi-parallelity (that's not a word) that is one of the greatest single aspects of Timelines. Not only does the reader know that somehow, events in the late 1500s affect events in the present, but that that events in the present are in some ways not only related, but sometimes shed a certain light on events taking place in the late 1500s. As I've partially mentioned before, the relations between the two storylines are skillfully and intricately woven together, in such a way that to take away either one would leave the other almost incoherent. They rely on each other to further the understanding of the reader, but at the same time not to divulge too much.

canonized: With all this intricacy , it might seem a little intimidating to a reader who may be new to the story but might be interested . Would you say that despite the complicated nature of the storylines it is still engaging enough to follow ?

Myth: I personally find that the intricacy is one of the factors that DOES make it engaging. It not only makes me think about what might come next, but has also already produced several surprises, and there are bound to be more.

canonized: Any particular part that really caught you by surprise ?

Myth: The most recent event is the fake poisoned tea, leading to Renault and his companions to have easier access to the Little China Mansion. I knew the "tea" wasn't real tea right from the start, but the actual purpose of the "tea" surprised me.

canonized: And since you're the prince of predictions , I was curious what your guesses are as to what the Timepiece is and its purpose ?

Myth: I'm not really sure why, but I keep imagining it in my mind as a wooden box made of polished, dark hardwood. It is longer than it is wide, with a cross of some lighter wood not quite dividing the top into four equal patches of hardwood. There are keyholes either along the length of the cross or on the sides of the box. It seems to be a sort of relic that is in many ways similar to the Black Rood, though it seems to be rather more powerful and less reliant on "mere" miracles to do its work. I have no real idea why I see it like this, though, as there really isn't any sort of evidence to back this up whatsoever.
I also sometimes see it as one of those fancy massive globes seen in every stereotypical expensive private library, on a wide circular stand with three moving 'orbitals' (for lack of a better word, as I am failing to find the words to explain them). Again, I have no real idea why. As for the purpose, I'd say it is similar to the Chrono Cross of, well, the old PSX game Chrono Cross. However, whereas the Chrono Cross united the two alternate worlds the player explored in Chrono Cross, I see the Timepiece as doing something different, if perhaps somewhat similar. I see the Timepiece as, rather than uniting two existing universes, uniting the *possibility* of two (or more) universes. Essentially, if used by the Spanish government, it could erase the possibility of Tom's alternate history swimming around his head--reality and fiction are united, and simply reality remains. However, if Marcus uses it in favor of Tom's fantastical world and history, the denizens of the world, though perhaps they had been living in it just recently, would have no conception of a world in which Spain was other than it was, of the world where Spain ruled supreme.

Part III: Bringing Japan Honour
Myth’s Latest Work Discussed​

canonized: When I read your AAR so far I sensed two distinct voices . One is the very personal voice of Kuribayashi as he retells this tale of the mosquito attempting to tackle the elephant and also the voice of the tactician . Both meld well into the story and surprisingly don't leave much doubt onto its effect as 'Authenticity' of the voice . What kind of mental process to go through to successfully meld the tactical and the personal voices ?

Myth: Well, toward the beginning, my stream of consciousness tended to focus on the tactical, as if it was more of a gameplay AAR. However, after I had written a couple such updates, I remember what grayghost had once told me--that if I ever felt that I was going off my chosen path, I should reread my preface. I did so, and thus went back to those subsequent, tactical updates and integrated a more personal, if not necessarily less professional, voice into those updates. After a half-dozen or so updates with this process, it reached the point where I somewhat automatically switched from one voice to the other depending on whether I thought the other voice would fit better at explaining or judging a certain situation.

canonized: Your main character is the famous Kuribayashi Tadamichi most well remembered for his last stand at Iwo Jima . From your position as his voice , the melancholy that we might attribute to him as well as 'nobility' seems to stand out in the way you portray him . Why did you choose to write about such a man and how did you prepare to write about him ?

Myth: I'm not really sure why I chose him over all the other possibilities. Partially, it must have been because he is one of the better known Japanese generals. We see that, in history, he put his duty before everything else when he went to Iwo Jima and remained to the bitter end, eschewing the traditionally favored Japanese tactics such as defending at the very beach and nightly Banzai charges in favor of a long, drawn-out defense. He had a very keen military mind, proven by the fact that Iwo Jima is the only battle where American casualties outweighed Japanese casualties. He is also, in some sense, still an enigma--for instance, there is still no actual consensus on how he died. He simply seemed to me to be the sort of man a reader could admire, empathize with and agree with. He simply seemed much better suited to writing a retrospective memoir than any of the other Japanese generals. As for preparation, I didn't really do too much. I, of course, drew upon what I had learned from my reading, which included a few books on the battle for Iwo Jima, and I read the wikipedia article on him. However, that was all the preparation I made to be his voice. I suppose, between the gravity of the task that faced him at the beginning of the AAR, and this relatively minimal preparation, I may have found the correct voice for him.

canonized: We share a bit of a kinship in that the storylines of our worlds where we begin our current narratives are alternate histories-- that is to say that in your work, China has dominated most of Asia and Europe and then now began to crumble . Where did you get the idea of doing this story in an already alternate history ?

Myth: The seeds of this alternate reality lie in my previous AAR, Great Ambitions, which was from the perspective of the Chinese Guangxi Clique--specifically its warlord, Li Jishen. Li Jishen embarked upon a trail of conquest that not only brought him through Beijing and Tokyo, but Moscow as even further west as well. However, my next prospective war was against the Allied powers and would have resulted in a true world war, one that would have left a mark on every continent. I was not particularly eager to embark on such a task and had, in any event, been toying with the idea of killing off my main character--Li Jishen--for several game years already. Finally, this did indeed happen, at such a time when his fortunes seemed about to get all the more brighter, with yet another war on the horizon. However, even as this AAR ended in such a shocking manner, I was not yet willing to abandon the game; thus, Lamps Before the Wind was born.

canonized: And how does it feel to deconstruct the giant that you've created ? Or try to at least haha .

Myth: I'd like to say the Russians are helping me, but I'm hesitant, as the Chinese seem to be simply walking right over them. Even if they were, it is something of an intimidating challenge, as I had built China quite strong and when I took over as a resurgent Japan, I modded the Chinese AI so that it would be a greater challenge. As it is, the Imperial Chinese Army has doubled since the beginning of Kuribayashi's memoirs, placing it at just under 300 divisions strong, whereas I have but 20. It shall be quite a challenge.

canonized: It’s certainly one of the most unique and best parts of your AAR if you ask me , the fact that this is a monster that can give a player pause that in fact you created that is . Ironically even if you lose , it will only be chawked up to your superior empire-building with China . I also wanted to point out that your affinity with China does not simply end with the scenario . You also give particularly excellent attention to the Chinese generals and the enemies you face which adds a depth of humanity and realism in a sometimes barbaric war , Why did you choose to give us such great insights into the Chinese generals and their personalities ?

Myth: My aim from the beginning was to make the world I was writing of as alive as possible, and one method of doing this was to refer to future events, to fictional works of history (sometimes even by historic authors, such as AJP Taylor!), as well as government archives and even personal interviews. I feel that a living, breathing world is, while not essential to a successful story, certainly a great asset to it.

canonized: And you certainly do a great job at showing that realism . One thing I did notice is that currently you're having a little trouble in Korea . I think that an AAR that is not just a successive chain of victories is more convincing and realistic and one side effect of your failed operation is that realistic atmosphere ; What are Japan's plans for recovering ?

Myth: I am an aggressive general, and my future plans reflect this. I will be returning to the mainland. By the time this interview is posted, it will be the eve of invasion.

canonized: And lastly , do you have future AAR plans after this one ?

Myth: I certainly do, beyond finally getting around to finishing Bayonets Made of Milk (which will be restarted as soon as Discomb can get a stable internet connection...), I have some other ideas swimming around my head, a couple of which are also in cooperation with Discomb. Those will, however, only be possible once we meet again, in Riga, this summer and begin planning once more.

canonized: Thank you so much Myth for joining us in this interview segment this week and I also wanted to once again thank our audience for reading and tuning in to us again . I’d like to wish everyone a good Holy Saturday ! Please tune in next week as we interview one of the celebrities of the EU3 boards, Rensslaer ! Thank you all again for reading and if any of you authors out there would like to be featured on You’ve Been Canonized! please let me know any time !

Very good, Myth!

I have not, heretofore, made it over to your AAR, but from your description I am very intrigued!

Once I finish catching up on this one, I'll have to head over that way.

I am not familiar with Kuribayashi, but I recently read a memoir of the Battle of Okinawa by Col. Hiromichi Yahara, who sounds like he had a very similar perspective on warfare that contrasted with the typical Japanese High Command indoctrination.

Thanks to both of you!

Rensslaer

Rensslaer said:
Very good, Myth!

I have not, heretofore, made it over to your AAR, but from your description I am very intrigued!

Once I finish catching up on this one, I'll have to head over that way.

I am not familiar with Kuribayashi, but I recently read a memoir of the Battle of Okinawa by Col. Hiromichi Yahara, who sounds like he had a very similar perspective on warfare that contrasted with the typical Japanese High Command indoctrination.

Thanks to both of you!

Rensslaer

I'm very glad to hear this as one of my original intentions for the interviews was to help make the various readers here aware of the many different high quality works out there ! Thanks for reading the interview and I hope to have a wonderful one with you this week !

That was a great interview. Just when I think I am getting to know Myth reasonably well, I find out I didn't know squat. Great job Armi.

Now now gentlemen .. ! I'm very glad you liked it ! It's always a pleasure to shed some light on our various authors here ! I'm glad to be of help ! And thanks again to all those including yourself who have volunteered to be spotlighted !

Eber said:
Great updates :)

I'm looking forward to seeing what comes next.

Thanks ! Glad to see you around again ! ^^

Happy Easter Everyone !​

Since it's a very Holy Day today I'm going to be taking today as a holiday from an update , however I did prepare a Bonus for you guys to have while I take the break . An Update MAY or MAY NOT come later on in a few hours but with morning Mass and everything don't expect it anytime soon . I'll resume updating tomorrow morning if not later on ! And thus today's Easter Bonus to hold you folks over until I return will be a behind the scenes look at Rodrigo as he prepares for the Costume Party at Lara's Palace !

thackeryc5.gif

Thanks again for all your support and I wish you all a Happy Easter ! Don't forget to tell us what you think of the bonus and please support us at the AARland Choice Awards as your favourite narrative !

Rodrigo is wearing lipstick? o_O

Grubnessul said:
Rodrigo is wearing lipstick? o_O

He's putting on makeup for the costume party ! ( Actually , funny story , when we were shooting in Laguna Beach the sun was so bright that we couldn't see much detail on the actors so I had them all put on makeup so that we could see their facial expressions better . This is a behind the scenes look in between shots that i was filming for posterity . Some of you who were here near the beginning of the AAR may recognize the actor from previous images I put up as a teaser then replaced so this is also a little hint that those of you who were here at the beginning are going to finally see what those images were all about before !)

chapter24tile.gif

Chapter XXIV: Reunion​

March 30, 1582

Antonio held onto Matsujun’s frame as he ascended the rear stairway towards the top of the bridge. Already, the fire had reached the top of the main mast and the canvas sail was being consumed in a spectacular wall of flame. He had to move quickly, it would only be a matter of time until the magazine of ammunition exploded underneath them.

As he looked downward towards the main deck, he could still see the carnivorous crawls of those decaying monstrosities rise up from the deck hold attempting to escape the fire. As he placed the boy at the far end of the bridge deck, he could make out the moonlit skyline of the colonial city of San Francisco behind the ship. He noticed that he was slowly but surely moving away from the dock.

“At this range, our flames will spread to the city,” Sweet called out as he rushed his way up the ladder to join Antonio and the unconscious Matsujun. Despite the few ash marks on that spy’s face and arms, he was still better off than his master who held onto his bleeding side.

“We have to get clear of the docks,” Antonio reiterated loudly attempting to elevate his voice past the rumblings of disintegrating wood. “How is Isabella?”

“She’s holding off the creatures on deck with what’s left of her men as well as Grubby’s squad; Jakob is almost finished evacuating the rest of the sailors into the water they’ll be clear soon.

About an hour earlier, they had arrived at the port of San Francisco uneventfully. It was in that unsuspecting hour of the night that their neighboring ship, a merchant ship of Chinese origin it seemed, had opened fire onto the San Martin before sailing away. The volley had been a single affair but it moved attention to their starboard side long enough for a strange host to load onto the ship from the port.

“With the main sails burning down, we can’t gain enough speed,” Sweet reminded his master before turning back to glance quickly at the melee going on below them.

Unluckily for the crew, there were no Lions on board to save them from this demonic horde. In that crazed spark of fire, the skeletal figures seemed to stare at each victim mercilessly as they approached- immune to pain and lusting for flesh. As Isabella fought for the last half of the deck under the vengeful watch of the blazing mast and front, Antonio wracked his brain for an answer to this situation. That was when he heard a familiar voice off the rear end.

“Duke Jimenez!” the Cardinal called out from the edge of the pier.

Immediately rising to his feet and followed by Sweet, Antonio gazed off the rear end of the boat to find that panzer clad cardinal standing at the edge of the pier along with his attendants.

“Stand back!” the Cardinal roared and was obeyed by those two on the bridge.

Reaching back with his spear and then nearly hopping forward twice, that large man heaved his spear forward. Whistling through the air, that metal javelin reached to the edge of the rear of the boat and smashed into the wooden hull.

“Sweet! Quickly!” Antonio order grabbing the unconscious Matsujun and handing it over to his companion.

With a momentary nod, that agile agent cradled the sleeping young man on his shoulder before hopping off the side of the boat and catching the metal chain of the Cardinal’s spear with his leathered hands. Gliding down along the length of the metallic rope, he was caught safely by some of the Lions on the receiving end of the Cardinal’s weapon.

“Now you, Sir!” the Cardinal yelled out towards the rear as he pulled again at the chain to tighten it.

Antonio nodded and motioned a little with his hand as he nearly staggered towards the stairway leading down to the main deck. He took one last look at the blazing inferno on the front half of the ship and ruefully shook his head at the situation—without the sails there was no way to get far away fast enough.

“All hands abandon ship!” he called out to the fighters below. As the others made their way to the sides of the ship to jump off lead by Isabella and Jakob, Antonio staggered once more towards the chain and hopped across the wooden parapet and grabbed the cold metal. Allowing it to guide him, he slid through the heating night air towards the dock. Taking one last look upward to the San Martin, he felt a sudden inrush of air and quickly turned his head towards his chest. With the inhalation of its last breath, the magazine of that vessel exploded.

The very sound shattered windows along the port district and split the great ship in half. Rocked against its hull, the burning legion of corpses that had invaded the ship was now plastered like flaming sap against the wooden planks. In the explosion, the Cardinal’s spearhead blew straight off the hull and Antonio found himself and the chain plunging into the water of the San Francisco bay.

A gigantic plume loomed over the wreckage before the faint hissing of debris finally dominated the deafened ears of all in that area.

“Take cover!” the Cardinal called out as flaming debris bombarded the pier and surrounding port.

As Antonio held onto that sinking chain like a lifeline, he watched the great fireball erupt from above the waves. He saw the streaks of flame and smoke brighten the night sky like fireworks being distorted by the water’s edge. He watched the sight with an almost absent wonder. As the spear pulled him further down into the cold freezing blueness, he saw a hint of red in the water. He noticed he was leaving a trail of blood before his eyes closed.

---​

Antonio reopened his eyes half expecting to immediately cough up a lung full of aqueous suffocation but instead breathed in the strange fragrance of spring flora. With vision still unfocused and mind gently weary he could at least feel his body resting against waves of softer material and a cushion under his head. Rustling dark hair against pillow, he tilted his head upwards to breathe in a full wanted inhale of comfort but even then he took a whiff of his surroundings with his nose.

Sensing the emanation to his right, he turned his face in that direction and saw nothing but a flurry of gold through those glazed eyes before nodding once more, his nose touching something silky on the other end as the intensity of the flowery scent increased dramatically. It was then that he realized his hand was being fastened warmly against something just as soft. He squeezed it slowly and the golden screen in front of him that felt like silk against his nose moved itself. His eyes watched the movement before focusing on a beautiful face.

“Don Antonio!” Isabella suddenly said in a start, “you’re finally awake! Oh! I’m sorry I must have fallen asleep on your—”

Antonio interrupted that woman with another gentle squeeze against her hand as she sat there on a chair next to his bed. Antonio missed the proximity of that scent against his nose, that feeling of his face gently caressing the top of her head. With still focusing eyes he looked at her with a tender stare and greeted her with his best smile.

“Don’t go pulling silly stunts like that again;” Isabella scolded with a funny laugh, “I had to fish you out of the water!”

Antonio didn’t laugh as he usually did. Somehow the affects of his unconsciousness made him think of other things. Silent things, things that were talking inside him and not outside. His hand politely left hers and traveled upwards to her face to catch her quietly off guard. His fingertips grazed her cheekbone tenderly. Antonio’s eyes seemed to narrow a little as if inspecting what he touched with a smiling curiosity. Isabella’s cheek turned red under his fingers’ caress.

After a second of lingering on that surface, his hand returned to hers again on the bed top and his eyes looked up towards the ceiling. As his vision returned to him, so did his other senses and it was his hearing next that caught his attention. A soft crying, a strange whimpering sob came from the other side of the room. Turning his head carefully in that direction he saw a man embracing a boy.

“Oh,” Isabella mentioned as if finally out of a trance, “apparently Matsujun’s father was alive all this time and was here in San Francisco. They’re finally back together!” she exclaimed similarly looking up at the boy and father reunited.

When Isabella mentioned that, she could feel Antonio tense up on the bed.

“Oh don’t get too excited, there’s proper time for you to celebrate after your rest,” Isabella said tugging back on the Antonio’s arm gingerly.

Antonio stared not with excitement towards the scene of the senior Akanishi and Matsujun crying in their reunion. No, indeed he was from terror. His mouth creaked open slowly to call out, but no words would come. His entire body began to grow weak again and his wound on his side ached with an intensity that nearly choked him right there. No! He thought, not him! We’re all in danger, he thought. In his excitement, only darkness returned to him as he fluttered back into the rest of the injured.

---​

March 31, 1582

“How much longer do you think he’ll be sleeping, Jakob?” Isabella asked anxiously.

Standing in the corridor of the mayor’s office turned makeshift headquarters, the red carpet underneath Jakob and Isabella stood in contrast to the humble wooden walls of that provincial mayor’s abode. The light came into that long stretch of a hallway with a vision clouded slightly by the remnants of the grey clouds of smoke lingering in the sky.

Already nearly twenty four hours had passed since the Lions and the local populace put out the fire, but it already gutted a quarter of that already small town before it could be halted. Patrol boats that had gone out in the morning found no sign of the mysterious Chinese merchant vessel that began this catastrophe and, luckily for the local population, the strange abominations that attacked their vessel were all burnt or drowned in the bay.

“Probably a few more hours, he suffered severe internal bleeding and he’s lucky to even be alive,” Jakob responded as he spoke quietly to Isabella in the middle of the hall. “He hemorrhages every time he uses force and it’ll be a little while until his internal organs heal the gaps.”

“But he’ll make it?”

“I believe so; we just can’t let him move until he mends internally otherwise the blood loss might make him pass out again or worse…”

Isabella merely nodded.

In that silence of their conversation, the noise of the stentorian Cardinal could be heard from down the hall. In the chaos created by the fire, the staunch prelate had ensured stability and control almost immediately. A few hours earlier he was also briefed by Renault on the various activities monitored concerning the guilds and the state of the colonies. It was an opportune time, then, the Cardinal had mentioned, to push forward with his latest plan.

“Ladies and Gentlemen,” the Cardinal addressed the crowd of nearly fifty representatives from the city and nearby areas as well as special heralds to bring his announcement to the outlying colonies. “As you know, the crown is determined to have San Francisco rebuilt. To that effect, you all also know that the crown is determined to provide better safety and treatment to the native populations for the sake of their conversion and assimilation into our society, and also to the prosperity of the colonies.”

Although the Cardinal himself was no longer wearing the immense plate armour that became the hallmark of that man, his red robes and skullcap still emanated with a grandeur of stature—probably due to that huge man’s bulk. His choir clothes clung to him for dear life.

“Therefore, as of today, the crown is standardizing and centralizing the office of the Viceroy for ALL colonies of the Empire based on merit of administration and proper care of the native peoples and citizens proper!”

There would have been a murmur of surprise from the crowd but the very voice and stature of the man in front of them cowed them into obedient silence. The idea of the Viceroy had usually just been a messenger and go between for the colonies and the crown. Most held power only to suggest and recommend but now the Lord Chancellor was proposing centralized governance and standard policies. Although the people would be jubilant to have a strong administration protecting them and making the work in the colonies more efficient—as well as getting a certain degree of self governance—the Cardinal knew well that this would greatly increase the overseas income of the Spanish Empire. It was a win-win situation.

“And,” the Cardinal added as he turned towards the Lions present with him in attendance. That prelate seemed to grin mischievously. “I have decided that for his outstanding intellect, clever solutions for the problems of immigrant workers, and impressive compassion to the citizens, I am appointing Don Renault de Fronsac as the First Viceroy of California!”

The crowd let out a thunderous applause as they turned and recognized the middle aged Lion who had subjugated the corrupt guilds while encouraging the trade and prosperity of the legitimate businesses all along that coastal colonial province.

As for the Lion himself, he looked out onto the crowd and to his master in such awe that he could barely speak. The blood had rushed to his head in confusion but he still managed to step forward gregariously and acknowledge his master’s appointment with a shake of his hand. If his mouth was gaping any further, it would have buried itself on the frill of his ceremonial dress.

“Thank you so much, Your Eminence,” he managed to say to his master as some of the pages immediately ran out to begin relaying the message all over the colonies.

As the Cardinal shook his hand he turned to the crowd and gave a wide smile. After a second pause for the people gathered in that hall, he turned to his side and smiled towards the two guests he was most happy to see—Carmen and Amin.

Especially as he looked towards Carmen, with their adventure completed, he gave her an almost exuberant gleeful grin. The woman only looked back with respect and a little admiration. Their stare went on uninterrupted even as the Cardinal continued to announce various other notes of business. If Renault had been paying attention, he also might have heard the other gift the Cardinal had given him.

interlude2.gif

Interlude​

Lara de Fronsac descended the marble staircase with her hand respectfully clasped by her date for that evening, the dashing young Carlos. As she looked to her guests below there was an eruption of applause. Her costume, much like all the others that were in vogue those days, seemed like a combination of an aristocrat’s ball dress with a military uniform complete with shoulder tassels. Her mask was a simple affair that resembled a petite butterfly which had landed on the bridge of her elegant nose.

Carlos dissimilarly donned a bronze chestpiece and crimson cloak. His skirt like leggings matched the colour theme and his sword looked almost real enough to cut with. His mask was a generous helmet with a scarlet plume. Looking upon the crowd, he couldn’t help but smile a little at the crazy group along the main floor of that large palatial estate of Little China. He saw some of his favourites among the crowd: kimonoed samurai, snake charmers, military generals from the late 18th century, and if he didn’t know any better, he would have thought that the Spartans made an appearance that evening. Must have been a bunch of friends, he thought merrily.

The particular hall that they decided to have the main engagement of the party spanned nearly an entire wing of that estate. Lara had explained to Carlos that her great great great etc etc grandfather Legault or Renault or whatever it was had it attached to the estate to gather delegates from the various areas of the California colony for legislative sessions. Although her family retired from being a political one so long ago, the wealth of the clan as well as the estate still remained a valuable part of their heritage—and was great for hosting parties.

The music intertwined with the aristocratic party atmosphere in a similar fashion; the music of Emma Shapplin as shaped by a stunning trance undertone created the posh yet modern feeling that dominated this particular scene. The tone of Spente le Stelle—the Yomanda Edit of course—dictated the swaying and bouncing of the guests.

It was at the far end of this grand hall that Tom and Rodrigo had decided to avoid the socializing mass. Along the tables that lined the edges of room, the two sat down under the generous studio lights near them.

Tom looked on nervously at the gathering in front of him while, having borrowed some clothes willingly given by Rodrigo, he donned a stringent military like attire with a blue jacket, blue vest, and a slight ruffle to his collar. When Rodrigo had asked what he was going to go as, Tom had mentioned something about the Thirteenth Khushrenada or something like that—only the eccentric and nerdy Tom would know. Rodrigo was not particularly interested. As for himself, the young Rodrigo had come in his usual attire- a suit and tie with a red shirt underneath. He didn’t care to be particularly fancy just yet.

In the near blinding studio light that faced away from the crowd, Tom could only watch ahead as the silhouette of partying individuals jostled and danced on the dance floor beyond the periphery of the tables. One of these shadowy figures, however, approached the table. It was a strange outline, Tom thought, someone who wasn’t exactly tall and crowned by what seemed like a round object providing a shadow-halo. They also sported twin emanations on either sides like the outstretched embrace of a lark.

Tom nearly didn’t notice Rodrigo standing in attention.

“It’s been a long time, Tommy boy,” the voice from the shadow addressed him in a giggle. That shadow-halo stopped directly in front of their table and its dark wings began to focus. Tom looked up in surprise at the face now looking at him. But it wasn’t the face that bothered him; no in fact he didn’t recognize it—but that voice…

“Don’t tell me you’ve forgotten me, Tommy boy,” was the voice again with a slightly feminine intonation.

As the shadow subsided and Tom gazed directly into that person’s crazed stare running the sound of the voice over and over in his head, he strained to understand what was going on. Not daring to look at Rodrigo who still stood by his side, he was entranced by the strange look of this militant angel of darkness.

“Don’t be rude,” that person suddenly said breaking the grin into something of a menacing amazement, “you should at least be nice to the person whose heart you broke.”

Tom’s head began to spin a split second before the adrenaline suddenly kicked in. Nearly breaking the chair underneath him as he ejected it behind him as he stood, he grasped the silver knife from the table into his gloved hand. As Rodrigo watched dispassionately, he noticed Tom’s face contort as if someone was ripping out his bottom jaw and his eyes were imploding from the sudden horrific recognition. It was like Tom was trying to speak, but no words were coming out.

Chapter XXV: Silence (coming soon)

Last edited:
Eber said:
Another great update! Lipstick eh? How interesting....

Thanks ! hehe , yeah , i left grubnessul some production notes too about the lipstick , it was a fun movie to make !

I knew it! even before I read "Lara de Fezensac", I knew that Little China was the other gift given to Renault! :D
as for Tom's reaction to Marcus...I'm not sure what to think of that yet.