• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
fake poisoning? wasn't expecting that, though I was expecting them to wake up in a dungeon...I figured the poison was merely so that Chopin could capture them and torment them at his own will. as for that Matsujun boy...he suddenly transforms from being some demi-random brat who just happens to tag along into a potential well of information when it comes to all the right mecidinal ingredients... :p
and I knew it! Little China is Lara's home! :D

Let's see if I got some of this straight. The little boy with Jakob, thinks his father is dead, but he is actually tracking down killers in S.F. (Chopen) because he thinks his boy is dead, who is actually on his way to S.F. with Jakob and friends. Marcus is a girl in disquise who want world anarchy, and is going to kidnap Tom. Is Janus/Rodrigo involved on the sides of the "Wolves" or unwitting dupe? Nice touch with the fake poisening. When will we get back to the Duke and Father Jimenez's investigation. All timelines are convergy on S.F.

Myth: See ? The tea wasn't so obvious at all ! mwahahah ! And yes Matsujun comes out of nowhere as someone who is connected to all this ! As for Lara's house being the future of the Little China , you've definitely got me there ! I can't always elude you , Mr. Myth !!

grayghost: Yep you've got it correct so far ! Rodrigo/Janus is certainly cast in a very doubtful light at the moment . I , too , wonder , what's going on !

Thank you both for your comments , I always appreciate it especially when you two stop by !

Great intro mate! I look forwards to having a read of the rest of it when I've got time to sit without distraction ;) In fact, that time may be imminent, just got to work out a manifesto for Oddman and me in Ederon's Struggling Leaders game - negotiation never seems to stop for me :rofl:

Fantastic update again and I loved the bonus too!

That picture in the update looks like Marilyn Manson to me, especially with that hat on. Really nice picture, anyway!

I love what you've done with Akanishi and I didn't see that coming at all! Can't wait for the family re-union now...

I understand that the timelines seem to run parallel to eachother as the events unfold, but I've started wondering whether there is a physical connection between them as well. It's a far-fetched sci-fi hunch that I've developed about those pieces that are being gathered. I guess we'll see!

Anyway, thank you for the entertainment!

Evans: Glad to have you on board ! I know you're a busy man so i'm honoured you've decided to tag along !!

Petros: Haha Marilyn Manson , i'm glad you enjoyed the picture too ! Ahh yes the family reunion . Unless the poor father gets himself killed first of course ... hm ?

Thank you again all for enjoying the latest updates , as you all know it's that time in my AAR where there's relatively 50 years of peace around the world and mostly colonization is going on so I thought i'd have this nice side story connect to the main story while the 'boring' parts in the game are going on !

Ooh, the part with the fake poisonings had me thinking of some sort of James Bond flick. Indeed, things are getting quite interesting now and I can't wait to see what's next. The rising number of parallels between past and present have me guessing! Naturally, the mystery of the timepiece is still compelling.

Great update ! Can't wait for the next !

Panzerkardinal said:
Ooh, the part with the fake poisonings had me thinking of some sort of James Bond flick. Indeed, things are getting quite interesting now and I can't wait to see what's next. The rising number of parallels between past and present have me guessing! Naturally, the mystery of the timepiece is still compelling.

Great update ! Can't wait for the next !

Thanks buddy ! Yeah the tea was a fun thing to work out XD . Hope you're having a good Holy Week !

ok, the tea was a surprise, nice done.

just wondering, how far are you in your game?

Grubnessul said:
ok, the tea was a surprise, nice done.

just wondering, how far are you in your game?

Thanks for reading ! I actually already finished the game just have the various save files etc . I like to finish games first before I do an AAR since it'll allow me to plan the story ahead of time .

Bonus Time ! As you all know I like to give out bonuses every once in a while . Today I'd like to re-introduce one of our characters , the Panzerkardinal DeWitt !

spanishcourtdewitt-1.gif

As usual please feel free to tell us what you think ! :D

Edit: Personally , I think this is one of the best images i've done to date so i'm especially proud of this one . I'm also glad it could showcase the character that my best friend inspired !

Last edited:
Wow... It looks like something yanked straight out of the game. You out do yourself with each new post and each new creation !

And if I haven't said so before, then allow me to openly thank you for the honor of having one of your story's characters based off of me. You've pinned my personality perfect with the character (with the exception of the offices he holds of course) and it shows just how well you know me. Truly, it is an honor. Although you based the Cardinal off of me, I find myself wanting to be more like the Cardinal himself.

Great work ! Enjoy the Holy week ! :D

Panzerkardinal said:
Wow... It looks like something yanked straight out of the game. You out do yourself with each new post and each new creation !

And if I haven't said so before, then allow me to openly thank you for the honor of having one of your story's characters based off of me. You've pinned my personality perfect with the character (with the exception of the offices he holds of course) and it shows just how well you know me. Truly, it is an honor. Although you based the Cardinal off of me, I find myself wanting to be more like the Cardinal himself.

Great work ! Enjoy the Holy week ! :D

Thanks ! Happy Holy Thursday and Good Friday ! Yeah , it was definitely fun editting the game graphics to make that . My theme is that I wanted to showcase how I still have the game in mind but that this AAR focuses on extra-game material . I sort of wanted to make the game as the engine by which history moved without referring to it as a 'game' but as if it were a real force . The sub-conscious algorithms of world history . Thanks again for reading !

New Update will come this early morning in a few hours !

chapter23tile.gif

Chapter XXIII: Confrontation at Little China​

March 30, 1582

The huddled group of Mexicans panted with a rancor of starved desperation. Their imminent freedom dampened the pain of the cold often jagged floor stones against their bare feet. Their naked or barely clothed bodies huddled close to the walls in utter terror of the prospect of a guard discovering their escape.

Carmen and Amin both taking up the rear and side guards respectively all attempted to calm them especially with Carmen’s knowledge of their native tongue but the grumblings of terror and all but abandoned hope shuffled these individuals in an almost carefree dash behind Renault and Akanishi-san at the front.

Springing them had been a relatively easy affair. Akanishi created a legitimate distraction for the guards as Renault and Amin incapacitated them from behind. Despite not being so well acquainted with the kinds of Chinese swords available, the two men decided to take the weapons in case more trouble would arise. Akanishi’s key proved easy enough to open the lock holding the prisoners.

As they came upon another intersection, Akanishi quickly ducked behind one of the columns that jutted out from the wall and signaled the others to do the same. Immediately the mass compressed their thin frames against the wall and hid behind the tiny barrier of the stone columns. All held their breath and in that lamplight, the rough sketches of their skeletal bodies were evident in the yellow and orange hues.

A patrolling duo of Sio-Pan’s guards passed through the hall perpendicular to them in a ceremonious march annunciated by the militant clanging of their burgundy armour. As their signature sound passed away from them, there was a collective exhale before Renault signaled for them to once again follow.

At the far end of the hall, they reached a wrought iron gate structured within an arch. Quickly shoving his master key into the lock, Akanishi opened the portal for the rest.

“These stairs lead to the west wing emergency exit,” Akanishi explained, “Take this key with you and you can get passed the gate. There should be a guard or two stationed there but you and Amin should be able to take care of him.”

“You’re coming with us aren’t you?” Renault asked as he took the key from the man, “if you stay, Sio-Pan will surely know you didn’t really kill us once he realizes the Mexicans are gone.”

“I’m staying, Mr. De Fronsac,” Akanishi replied his expression dulling into a tense tautness. Renault noticed the muscle in Akanishi’s cheek pulsate. “I have unfinished business with Sio-Pan.”

Amin and Carmen looked on from the open gateway as the prisoners pleadingly awaited their escape. Renault looked back for a moment at his charge before looking Akanishi in the eyes. There was no need for words; Renault passed away from Akanishi’s sight and began to direct the small group upwards. Akanishi turned to the opposite direction and began to run down the hall.

Renault found the top of the stairway just as Akanishi described. The guard barely had any time to make a noise before the blade Amin had taken from the previous encounter found its way into the sentry’s neck. Their exit was greeted by a gurgling of blood in the throat.

As they quitted the entryway into the side of the massive palatial structure, Carmen could see the glimmer of horses behind a nearby alleyway. Immediately she rushed the captives forward towards the waiting carriages. Halfway across the road she looked back to check on the stragglers. Amin was holding onto his master’s arm. No, Carmen thought, he can’t be thinking of—. Renault quickly gave her a look from where he was standing. The illumination of the moon shadowed his face with an angelic paleness. He nodded quickly to her as if she had already agreed on his course of action before dashing back into the hallway. Carmen almost gasped in an attempt to call out to him but Amin quickly came forward to pull that lady towards the carriages.

Renault did not find his way back quickly. Working only from memory even his prodigious intelligence had a hard time memorizing the twists and turns that Akanishi had taken especially now that he was attempting to recover the path in reverse. His calculating mind was no match for the staunch determination of Akanishi’s lust for revenge, he thought. That’s when he heard the scream.

Skidding halfway across an intersection in one of the slick stone floors he almost slipped along the green crusted blocks. Instead he changed his course to the left and followed the direction of the sound. A door lay ahead of him when the second scream erupted.

He approached the wooden doorway with caution and crouched down low. The door itself was a wooden ordeal with only a small circular window at the very top housing metal bars. It was through this opening that Renault carefully ascended his head.

Through the opening he could see another long hall much like the one he noticed when fetching the prisoners. Along the niches provided by the columns on the wall there hung various instruments to detain and to torture individuals. In the burning red glow of braziers he could see the moist decaying flesh of Sio-Pan amidst his guardian servants. Akanishi was already chained up on the wall. He also noticed that there was a hint of redness not coming from the light that glistened along Sio-Pan’s left cheek. A failed attempt to take his life, Renault thought.

Akanishi’s tunic had been torn away and already two diagonal wounds demonstrated the brutality of Sio-Pan’s whip. Despite the intensity of the pain, Akanishi managed to spit in that elderly man’s direction followed up by obscenities.

Sio-Pan merely laughed in return and his guards enjoined in the schadenfreude. Renault counted perhaps ten of them all clad in the consuming burgundy of their armour. He also noticed Sio-Pan motion with his hand for one of his servants before approaching Akanishi closely. The long nails of that grand mandarin now scratched along the fresh diagonal wound of his victim. Renault nearly winced as he watched the spectacle.

“You don’t deserve death,” Renault heard Sio-Pan say, “Instead, I will do worse…”

It was accompanied by a high pitched cackle as the servant returned with a weird object. Renault could only make it out as some kind of golden dragon like vessel. What was this, he thought?

“Your blood is one of the sweetest I have tasted yet,” Sio-Pan suddenly let out almost giddily as he tasted the remnants of that liquid on his nails. As Renault looked at the old man, his eyes widened in realization; Akanishi really will get his revenge.

His gaze once again turned back to the golden vessel as it now approached the wound. Grasping his Chinese sword tightly he unsheathed it and backed away from the door to kick it ajar. As he rushed towards the wooden frame his heel began to shoot for the side of the wooden frame. Before he could make contact, his shoulders were suddenly accosted by gloved hands. His arms became enmeshed with armoured sleeves and his kick was completed by someone else’s boot ushering a captured Renault into the room.

“Ahh, good of you to join us, Mr. De Fronsac” was Sio-Pan’s jubilant exultation as the rest of his servants looked over in surprise. Renault was now being towed in by the two patrolling guards who had been in the hall. Renault said nothing as he struggled against those arms giving only a concerned look towards his friend and a fierce grimace towards their common captor.

As one of the guards shut and locked the hall door, Renault’s wrists were taken by the cold embrace of damp metal shackles. After being secured, the two guards receded from him as he tested the grip of those chains. Akanishi could only look wearily to his friend more so inundated with sadness over the failure of his mission than the actual wounds. The man with the golden vessel now moved towards Renault under the menacing giggle of his master.

“Since you’ve been so kind to join us, Mr. De Fronsac,” Sio-Pan let out in between his amusement, “It looks like I can finish what was started earlier, can’t I?”

Sio-Pan approached from Renault’s left as the golden dragon was approaching from his right. Sio-Pan eagerly scratched a tiny cut along that Lion’s face with his long golden nails before similarly ingesting that life giving liquid.

“What is that?” Renault growled out, “truth poison? You expect me to talk?!”

“No Mister De Fronsac,” Sio-Pan said casually as he stepped away from the man as if offended by the notion, “I expect you to die!”

As that golden vessel approached Renault, Sio-Pan turned away from the both of them and his entourage did similarly.

“Then it looks like we’ll die together, Sio-Pan!” Renault yelled out as the golden vessel approached his face.

Sio-Pan immediately raised his hand and the servant obediently halted mid air.

“Especially after you’ve just been poisoned,” Renault added shouting in that man’s direction.

“Really now, Mr. De Fronsac,” replied the grand mandarin with a sigh and shake of his head, “all this talk of poison is so tiring—”

“In your hubris you drank this man’s blood; Akanishi’s blood which I myself poisoned yesterday. If you kill me, you’ll never find the antidote!”

Sio-Pan shook his head again and continued to move away putting his hand down, “Nice try, Mr. De Fronsac, but I’ve got better things to worry about.”

The vessel once again moved to the man’s face as the guard about to apply the mixture grinned wickedly at his work. Renault hugged the back of the wall and turned his head as far away from the incoming maw of that golden figurine. In times of desperation there was always one thing he turned to—prayer.

In nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti, he thought to himself as he began his prayer. He almost thought he thought it twice when he heard “In nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti,” from behind the door. The grand mandarin and his followers suddenly turned around towards the portal as the voice continued saying, “All impure souls of the undead shall be banished to Eternal Damnation!”

As the curiosity of Sio-Pan and his guards continued, Renault realized the formula and together with a great multitude of loud voices he joined them in replying like a battle cry: “AMEN!”

The heraldic cry was greeted by an amazing crash. The door which held back the voices now splintered into flying debris as a massive spear erupted from its location. Before the guard next to Renault holding the golden vessel could react, his armour imploded into his body at the force of the huge metal object now being thrusted through him. The Panzerkardinal’s chained spear pinned the man against the wall as his huge crimson clad figure stood behind the doorway holding the terminal end of the chain.

Cardinal DeWitt heaved his shoulders and wrecked through the stone wall as he walked through seeing as how the pitiful doorway would not have otherwise fit his frame. Behind him flooded in the cuirassed troupe of the Lions of Meissen. Before any other word could be spoken, the Panzerkardinal’s massive axe head erupted from his other hand and met with another guard severing each of that man’s rib bones and making him vomit a pool of blood from the lung that was now torn in half. As the Panzerkardinal redrew his weapons via the chains, the playing field was now even: ten of his Lions and ten of Sio-Pan’s guards. Well, one could hardly call that even, Cardinal DeWitt thought; those poor guardsmen.

As the Cardinal approached the chained men and his Lions engaged the bristling guards, Sio-Pan receded quietly into the shadowy end of that hall.

“It’s good to see you, Cardinal,” Renault said sighing in relief.

“Good to see you as well,” the boisterous warrior said from behind that thick helmet. “I figured you French Lions wouldn’t get the job done so I thought I’d come here myself,” he added affectionately before breaking open the shackles with his armoured hands.

Renault took Akanishi by the shoulder before looking to his master for instructions.

“We’ll take care of Sio-Pan,” the Cardinal said, “just take care of that friend of yours.”

As the last of the guardsmen were dispatched, Sio-Pan re-emerged from the shadows nearly hissing at them.

“Cardinal DeWitt,” Sio-Pan said with a properly high screech, “Master Ming has told me a lot about you!”

“Good,” the Cardinal responded as he approached the front of his men, “because when I send you to Hell, I want you to remember well who it was that sped up your meeting with the Devil.”

Sio-Pan merely cackled before twisting his head almost to one side. From behind him in those shadows there came a guttural moan before the light finally shone on wretched figures. Decrepit and rotting emanations now began to walk towards the Lions.

“They are hungry for meat,” Sio-Pan said before cackling again.

Renault watched anxiously from the rear of that group as the incoming mass numbered in the dozens. But they were greeted by a most strange noise. It was a laugh coming from Cardinal DeWitt but more so than just that. The laugh was so complete that even that huge man’s armour began to jump up and down creating a clamour of noise almost unbearable to hear. Sio-Pan was genuinely pissed off to no end at the mockery.

“LIONS!” The Cardinal roared suddenly as his entire set of armour clapped to a resolute halt, “Your weapons!”

At that, each Lion brought out a small flask and poured the contents onto his weapon. Two of them helped the Cardinal apply it to his spear and axe. Once again came the familiar formula for such occassions: “In nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti. All Impure Souls of the undead shall be banished to Eternal Damnation!”

The rest replied, “AMEN!” before charging into the fray.

The sound of flesh against steel replaced the just previous sound of steel against steel. Indeed, the carnage sounded like the ripping of fifty oranges by hungry children all at once. But yet there was little blood from the dehydrated creatures. The most intriguing part, as Renault watched, was a slight sizzle beginning to appear on each body. A burning sound and a waft of steam seemed to rise upward. What was going on, he thought? Holy Water?

As the Lions tore through the reserve forces, Sio-Pan looked on with horror. How could his creations be cut down so easily? The powder was supposed to keep them alive! In a growl and huff he turned his back to the rushing abominations and the incoming knight-lions and passed his way to the rear.

“He’s getting away!” one of the Lions called out.

“It’s alright,” Renault said as he continued to carry that worn out Akanishi on his shoulder, “I poisoned him earlier, he won’t make it past tomorrow.”

As he said those words, the last of the streaming corpse like monstrosities ceased to move. They sizzled and steamed like freshly boiled carcasses.

“How did you defeat them so easily, Master?” Renault finally let out after the carnage. “Is that Holy Water you brought?”

“Oh this?” the Cardinal said as he took off his helmet revealing a healthy beard and blonde hair and holding up his flask, “oh no, Holy Water only works against diabolical creatures, my dear Renault. These abominations were created through the sciences of man. This is merely some acidic compound we developed back at home. We noticed how its high acidity stopped the powder from working properly so whenever we cut into these things it disabled the poison. It was a strange new idea, we called the process denaturing since it seems to stop the natural course of the poison. Too bad it’ll eventually corrode our weapons.”

“Denaturing sir? It almost looked like something more Divine,” Renault commented as the Cardinal and Lions escorted that young man towards the exit.

“Oh Renault, you’re supposed to be the smart one,” the Cardinal responded, “when there is a supernatural danger then we use the power of Christ, but when it’s human science, we use human science. As I always say, fight fire with naptha!”

“I just didn’t know you were so versed in science, master,” Renault responded almost embarrassed as they ascended the dungeon steps to the exit.

“Haha, why do you think our Catholic Church invented Universities? To know science is to know the hand of God, Renault. Who do you think invented the concept of Mathematics? God did! Laws of nature may define our world, but who defined the Laws of Nature in the beginning? One truth can never contradict another; so it is with religion and science. Science that attempts to disprove revelation and misguided theologians who don’t accept the complex mastery of God’s plan to include science are equally misled. Just as philosophy is the handmaid of theology, so it is with science and humanity, my good friend.”

Renault seemed to smile at his mentor as another Lion took the weight off Akanishi for him and brought him to one of the waiting carriages. That was when a messenger approached him and the Cardinal.

“Your Eminence, grave news!” the messenger said quickly.

“What is it, Gaspar?” the Cardinal asked turning to face him.

“There’s a fire in the harbour!” replied the messenger as Renault similarly turned to face him.

“Go have them put it out then,” the Cardinal replied nodding sagely before turning back to his carriage.

“Your Eminence,” the messenger interjected with a pant to his speech, “It’s Duke Jimenez’s ship that just arrived that’s caught on fire!”

interlude2.gif

Interlude​

Carlos cheerfully greeted the caterers and band members as they filed into Little China. It would be a few hours before his guests arrived but he wanted to make sure everything was as Rodrigo’s asked of him. After ushering all of them inside the gates of that huge mansion, he approached Lara sitting in one of the rooms containing a bar. He took a seat across from her as she gently wiped a glass.

“Are you sure you’re okay with doing this, Lara? Rodrigo asked me to set it up for him so you don’t need t—”

“Oh no,” Lara interrupted as she proposed a half embarrassed smile, “With daddy gone, it’s always a bit too boring here in this huge house and mum said that she’d love to meet some of my friends.”

Carlos watched her carefully as she spoke. Her beautiful lips seemed to betray a hidden agenda.

“I’m guessing you’re also anxious to see Tom again,” Carlos said almost off handedly before turning his head to avoid meeting her eyes. His words were calculated.

Lara only nodded as she stared disproportionately towards the glass keeping her lips as flat as possible to avoid a blush erupting from her tanned cheeks. “Yeah, it’s been a while since we’ve all gotten together again.”

“But I do wonder,” she asked putting the glass back down and leaning forward on the countertop, “why a party all of a sudden. All paid for by Rodrigo also. I don’t understand.”

“Well he did mention that he wanted to meet someone here.”

Lara grinned curiously. “A girl perhaps?” she asked.

“Actually now that you mention it, I think it’s a guy; someone by the name of Marcus.”

“Doesn’t sound like a friend we have in common,” Lara responded almost perturbed.

“Maybe its Tom’s friend,” Carlos replied as he looked back at her tilting his head slightly as he watched her eyes move along the various distorted reflections on the countertop before they caught up with his, “Rodrigo mentioned something about reuniting them.”

Chapter XXIV: Reunion (coming soon)

Last edited:
whoo, the suspense is up! The ship from Japan on fire, and the teasing hint that Rodrigo may be the who delivers Tom to Marcus...oh dear. that last in particular seems to be quite a twist in the story from where I stand now...I guess I'll just have to wait and see how events continue to unfold! :p

Excellant battle with Sio-Pan's forces. I think Renault is a bit hasty, though, in his thinking that they are rid of the evil little skunk. I will be highly upset if Rodrigo turns out to be a turncoat.

nice quote, the fighting fire with naphtha ;)

also is it me or is our Panzerkardinals armor inspired on the generals unit from Fire Emblem?

Myth: Yep ! The suspense is coming to a head ! Thanks for tuning in !

grayghost: Yes , Renault's a bit of a risk taker as you've noticed haha ! We'll have to see how Rodrigo's going to play this out !

Grubnessul: Yes your guest would be right ! That's why the Panzerkardinal chapter is started with images of the General Unit ! Go back and take a look ! haha

yea you're right, didn't really pay attention to it when reading that chapter I guess

Very good! This AAR is great. I love the description and the cliff hangers.

Also:

canonized said:
kleomenes: Thanks and thank you very much for your continued read ! And good luck on your new AAR also !

huh :confused: misunderstanding I suppose?