• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
English Patriot: Good so far XD now for the essay XD

Hardstuff: ROFL , you get an F for Fantastic .

Grubnessul: Now there's a very interesting interpretation !! I hadn't thought of that but it's very well written , Grubby XD . haha , to be expected from environment loving anti-commercialized Europeans har har har . But you guys are missing the most obvious thing . I'll see if someone else can figure this essay out before I give it away XD

Elorei said:
All this talk of cocaine and heroin, it's because it's 420 today isn't it?
Or there is something that Canonized wants to tell us, but doesn't really dare to reveal so he just gives little hints in the direction ;)

:rofl:

Elorei said:

ROFL totally did not intend that but that's hilarious !

Grubnessul: oh pish posh ! Nothing like that , old bean XD

comagoosie: Haha , yes , we should try our best instead XD

Elorei said:

Its 420? I should celebrate!

*breaks out champagne*

Oh wait...

General_BT said:
Its 420? I should celebrate!

*breaks out champagne*

Oh wait...

Haha , I'm just really kind of pleased it happened at such a coincidental time XD

canonized said:
Haha , I'm just really kind of pleased it happened at such a coincidental time XD

Coincidence? I think not!

Just kidding. :D

Eber said:
Coincidence? I think not!

Just kidding. :D

Haha , as much as I wish I was that much of a genius , I'm afraid not XD

canonized said:

POP QUIZ !

Essay Questions (you may choose ONE of the following . Doing more will count for extra credit and may win you some fanservice - wink - )

A: The Author , while adapting Timelines chapters to correspond to the various circles of Dante's Hell , can easily apply what Dante saw as failings of his native Florence to the failings of his modern society . In light of the chapter on the Gluttons , Explain how the author of Timelines corresponds Dante's sins with those of the world he lives and what it says about the nature of the sin of gluttony . Is it necessarily the overuse of food ? What architectural instances in the text can you say to back up your answer ?

B: Explain in as much detail as you can the contrapasso of the Neutrals , the Lustful , and the Gluttons .

C: Explain the significance of the scenes concerning Arturo and José and specifically how it relates to the thematic elements in both the journey underground and the situations in the 'present' time .

(skipping all the copy-paste ones :D )

A: can't beat Grubby on this one :)

B: can't beat Davout on the Dante interpretation :)

C:
Arturo, with all his "Aztec magic", is portrayed as the virtuous pagan (of course, he's not even pagan..), whereas José tends towards indecisiveness.. In a sense, you could say that the 'outside' is the real Limbo ( rather than the 'fortress' the others were resting in). At the same time, they're facing (and/or using) the same sins that Madeleine &c face below.

Perhaps, considering that they're both actually catholic, you could say that they (or only José, I'm not so sure yet what Arturo's being set up for) are more in parallel with "original sin"/"the fall of man" - José's indecisiveness now (which is "costing" him the trip towards Heaven") is a sort of "first step" towards active sinning in the modern time (Pablo).

Elorei said:

what's wrong with 420? ;)

I suck at pop quizes... Not that it matters... ;)

ForzaA said:
(skipping all the copy-paste ones :D )

A: can't beat Grubby on this one :)

B: can't beat Davout on the Dante interpretation :)

C:
Arturo, with all his "Aztec magic", is portrayed as the virtuous pagan (of course, he's not even pagan..), whereas José tends towards indecisiveness.. In a sense, you could say that the 'outside' is the real Limbo ( rather than the 'fortress' the others were resting in). At the same time, they're facing (and/or using) the same sins that Madeleine &c face below.

Perhaps, considering that they're both actually catholic, you could say that they (or only José, I'm not so sure yet what Arturo's being set up for) are more in parallel with "original sin"/"the fall of man" - José's indecisiveness now (which is "costing" him the trip towards Heaven") is a sort of "first step" towards active sinning in the modern time (Pablo).

what's wrong with 420? ;)

Now there's a very interesting character interpretation . I have to say I'm impressed XD . Well calculated . The noble paganism idea might be best displayed , however , by the old man who provided sanctuary to arturo and josé similar or analogous to the Limbo Castle providing sanctuary to our heroes below . But nonetheless your ideas are excellent :D

Murmurandus: XD I hope it at least helps you remember what's been going on . that's perhaps the secondary goal of it after the primary goal of getting some really great discussions out there :D

You Americans with your incredibly, incredibly odd holidays :p :p

English Patriot said:
You Americans with your incredibly, incredibly odd holidays :p :p

Well you can be sure it's not something celebrated in our story's timeline , eh ? XD

canonized said:
Well you can be sure it's not something celebrated in our story's timeline , eh ? XD

I see, it must be a Canadian holiday.

Interesting theory that Arturo is the virtuous pagan (ie Virgil in the poem) and Jose is the Poet who was indecisive at the start of the poem, being at the crossroads of his life. Virgil is the leader in their travels and the Poet is prone to swooning/fainting a lot at the start (including in the Canto on lust) although he toughen ups as they proceed. Also the chaste love back at the homestead could be Beatrice. Or I could just be reading too much into it all.

As to your question before, I have a very dog eared Penguin paperback edition of the Divine Comedy which I bought for personal pleasure back at university when I was dating a girl whom I thought was my Beatrice. It was translated by Dorothy Sayers which prompted me to start reading her detective novels, as well as Virgil's Aeneid (which led onto the other Augustan authors).

Davout said:
I see, it must be a Canadian holiday.

Interesting theory that Arturo is the virtuous pagan (ie Virgil in the poem) and Jose is the Poet who was indecisive at the start of the poem, being at the crossroads of his life. Virgil is the leader in their travels and the Poet is prone to swooning/fainting a lot at the start (including in the Canto on lust) although he toughen ups as they proceed. Also the chaste love back at the homestead could be Beatrice. Or I could just be reading too much into it all.

As to your question before, I have a very dog eared Penguin paperback edition of the Divine Comedy which I bought for personal pleasure back at university when I was dating a girl whom I thought was my Beatrice. It was translated by Dorothy Sayers which prompted me to start reading her detective novels, as well as Virgil's Aeneid (which led onto the other Augustan authors).

Ahh so the mystery of Davout continues to unfold , eh ? XD I'm serious , quite the mystery man with your 8 years of being around the forum and so little posts !!

Sayers is a great writer and translator of Dante and she gives a sterling Catholic reading (as was intended of course XD) as I recall so I highly encourage it ! Ahh your beatrice , eh ? I've had a few of those though .. well ; we shant get into strange or sordid stories quite yet .

As far as my epics background goes , I've yet to read the Aeneid . Gosh , probably the higher ups at the school are going to make me go for it =(

Also aside from reading , if you'd like a companion to the text , Gustave Doré did some really great illustrations for the Commedia

6a00c2252aaad28e1d00c22529be87549d-.jpg

It's where I get some of the images for the chapter headings and what not . Lots of Artists have depicted scenes from all three of the parts of the Commedia . Some of them include William Blake and Salvador Dali :D .

This particular scene on that book cover is when Dante and Virgil are walking amongst the Schismatics and that fellow holding his head like a lantern is Bertrand de Born . Perhaps one of the most chilling scenes in all of the Inferno .

Dear Canonized

Peti Niebla writing, just in case.

Kurt asks me to you ask you about asking yourself about the chance of having an update. I just ask just in case you are not asking yourself. However, if you are asking this very question, just forget my question then and just imagine that I have not asked you what I have asked you in fact.

In short, update, please?

Ok, Kurt, now I've asked the question, give me my pizzas back or I'll tell to my Aussie mum that you're cheating her with Olaus Petrus...

Kurt_Steiner said:
Dear Canonized

Peti Niebla writing, just in case.

Kurt asks me to you ask you about asking yourself about the chance of having an update. I just ask just in case you are not asking yourself. However, if you are asking this very question, just forget my question then and just imagine that I have not asked you what I have asked you in fact.

In short, update, please?

Ok, Kurt, now I've asked the question, give me my pizzas back or I'll tell to my Aussie mum that you're cheating her with Olaus Petrus...

Haha oh Peti ... I still have 5 papers due and 3 finals to get ready for in the next 2 weeks but i'll try to get an update out by this friday :D

comagoosie: Haha , Comedy did not mean something comical until hundreds of years after the greeks came up with the term . go look it up silly goose XD