• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Is there an event that kills Metternich? Other than that, I think they must now pay.

my explanation

A little explanation is due on my part, what happened was that I got the "Political Assassination" event and I decided that the most likly situation for that was Metternich being assassinated by an Italian national. However, for some strange reason, I cannot take screen shots in game so I was unable to take a screen shot of the "Political Assassination", a small random event that wielded such weight, to show all of thee.

I think Sardinia - Piedmont needs a harsh lesson in diplomatical behaviour. I can't remember exactly, but because of the alliance web of the Italian states you should be able to grab one or two provinces (Lucca or someone else...) to expand your reach into the Italian heartlands. Anyway, the assassination of the Austrian chancellor may not go unanswered.

Alas! Metternich dead 23 years early. Might killing the "archangel of conservatism" drive Austria further to the right? Maybe that's what the Italian wanted...figured Italian nationalism could triumph over any Austrian reprisal.

Ha!

Chapter III

Chapter III
Metternich’s War​

First, shock took over the Austrian mindset and for a day the government grinded to a halt as Metternich was brought back to Wien for a funeral. However, before the funeral preparations were done with, the outcry for war against Sardinia-Piedmont gripped Austria and within two days after the assassination, before diplomacy could be started, the Austrian cabinet sat down to prepare for war. Within a few short hours it was agreed that Sardinia-Piedmont must be punished for the brutal assassination. However, von Bach realized that Sardinia-Piedmont had a strong backing, and if Austria were to declare war on her the outcome would not be favorable for Austria.

ScreenSave5.jpg
Sardinia-Piedmont’s diplomatic relations.​

Nations that Guaranteed Sardinian-Piedmont independence: - Russia
- Prussia
- United Kingdom
- France

Due to fact that an Austrian war against Sardinia-Piedmont would trigger a pan-European conflict, with everyone against Austria, von Bach quickly came up with a different scenario to take advantage of the many systems of alliances in Italy. Instead of declaring war directly on Sardinia-Piedmont von Bach instead suggested that a declaration of war be given out against another smaller state allied with Sardina-Piedmonte. After much deliberation within the Austrian cabinet it was eventually decided that Tuscany would be the nation that Austria would declare war on to lure the Piedmonts into war.

ScreenSave6.jpg

The Target.

Tis is my 100th post. :cool:

Last edited:
That one would be hard to sell anywhere outside Austria...why Tuscany?

But best of luck anyway, and congrats on post #100.

Sardinia Piedmont must pay....Perhaps this will give everyone in the government a little hesitancy for peace in the rest of Italy? A careful eye should be cast on the other Italians.

And so it begins. I hope that you are more succesfull than Austrians were in real life. Italian unification, like German unification, aren't in your interests.

Unless of course you unify them yourself.

And by unify I mean join the glorious Empire.

Huh, an assasination already?
It looks like you won't let Italy form, or if you do, it will be under someone else.

Wenis said:
Huh, an assasination already?
It looks like you won't let Italy form, or if you do, it will be under someone else.

Oh, I fully expect it will be under someone else - Ferdinand von Habsburg, perhaps? :rofl:

Good luck in Italy!

When you win the seven weeks war (I assume you will) is there an event that makes you form a German Empire? I heard of one where you annex all the south German states.

Yes, there is one but I've yet to see it in real life. I'm looking forward to see it in this AAR! ;)
It'd be nice to see an Austrian AAR going on. Most are abandoned for whatever reason after a few posts. Employing an aggressive strategy in Italy right from the beginning and then challenging Prussia's leadership in Germany might produce a mighty Habsburg empire.

But watch out for the Russians! They're a greedy bunch when it comes to Austria in my games...

The Austro-Italian War

The General’s Chair

Austro-Italian War

After a short, yet intense, period of deliberation between the Austrian cabinet regarding what to do with the assassination of Metternich, the Austrian Empire declared war on Tuscany. This, as expected, was quickly followed by Luca, the Papal States, and Sardinia-Piedmont supporting Tuscany in their war against Austria.

ScreenSave8.jpg
The Austro-Italian War

Although the majority of the Austrian armies were still marching towards Italy, a four battalion army led by General Karl began marching into Piedmont. This invasion quickly captured the city of Novara, and a Piedmont counter offence was easily defeated. This success carried on, and by mid November General Karl had laid siege to Torino itself.

ScreenSave11.jpg

Austrian occupation of Novara

ScreenSave19.jpg
Siege of Torino​

Once the capital fell to the much superior Austrian army, the defeat of Sardinia-Piedmont was more than eminent and within a mere few months the entire Piedmont region was controlled by Piedmont. However, the armies of the Papal States were more powerful than expected, and the Austrian armies were defeated at Ferrara. The Papal armies quickly took advantage of the Austrian defeat by invading both Verona, and Padua. This invasion caught the Austrians off-guard and an army in Piedmont had to be sent to the Venetia to beat back the Italians.

However, the combat in Venetia had to influence on the end of the war and with Piedmont occupied by an Austrian army the Sardinian-Piedmont government gave in to an Austrian peace treaty.

ScreenSave28.jpg
The Austro-Italian War just prior to the Treaty of Trento​

Last edited: