• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
With the refusal of the marriage to Charles, things become ahistoric. I hope Jacques will fill the void- a formidable ally/foe in the marshall's wife perhaps. It would take his mind off the weather. Nice update.

Olaus Petrus: Politics in Brittany are beginning to get tangled and Jacques seems to be caught in the middle. But this is one case where he has every reason to scupper any marriage :)

stnylan: I don't think that Jacques is fully aware of his reasoning regarding the fair Countess at this point. Or perhaps he's just loath to admit that his decision was informed by more than mere politics.

Kurt_Steiner: Right now Charles de Blois is very much a peripheral character, although of course this may change in the future. The real reason to introduce him was to highlight the moment when his history departs from our timeline. Of course even if he wanted to kill the Count, Jacques would have to rely on the spy master de Pontchâteau.

JimboIX: Thanks. Right now I don't see Jacques as having any real preferences in the succession struggle... but the issue of the Countess Jeanne does complicate matters.

Edit: Apologies for the lack of in game picture below. I simply forgot to take one... a result perhaps of preparing story lines after playing.

Last edited:
-----​

July 18th, Year of Our Lord 1337

The Duke's condition worsens. Marshal Jean and his wife are already acting as lords of the castle… much to the irritation of Steward Jeanne. Should the Duke pass away tonight then there is no doubt as to the identity of the next Duke. I can only hope that my position is secure but I have my doubts. Spy master de Pontchâteau is a close acquaintance of the Marshal and I am certain that the buffoon still covets my position.

Summer in Brittany is a drab affair, much like the rest of the year, but today the weather is of the least of my concerns. I have nothing to occupy me but the poisonous politics of the court and the rather more drab affairs of office. There has been no news of note from beyond the duchy. Jean de Valois is still unpopular with his subjects but no Duke will openly oppose the King. I do wish something would happen… if only to steal my attention from the petty squabbles of this backwater.

August 2nd, Year of Our Lord 1337

We have been forced to endure two weeks of torrential rain. It appears that summer in Brittany is a short affair indeed. I shall retire to the warmth of my bed for the rest of the week.

August 10th, Year of Our Lord 1337

For once I am amongst the first to the news. The Duke of neighbouring Anjou, one Bouchard de Vendome, is not a reasonable man by any measure. His rashness is both well known and highly frustrating for myself as Chancellor. In my dealings with the Duke, reaching settlement on peasant squabbles and the like along to border between Brittany and Anjou, I have found him to be both lacking in humility and unpleasant to deal with. Perhaps it is no surprise… but I am ahead of myself.

For all his bluster, and the fame of the lands he rules, the Duke de Vendome is a minor noble at best. No doubt it was necessity that forced him to reveal his plans to me in the hope of securing the backing of the rather more powerful Brittany. Amazingly this arrogant fool may be the answer to my prayers and the key to ending de Valois rule, and therefore my exile. Apparently taking insult to some perceived slight of the King's, what the offence was I care not, de Vendome has given into his rash nature and plans to withdraw from the protection of the King of the Franks. Such a provocation, and renunciation of his feudal obligations, would undoubtedly draw the ire of Jean de Valois and the admiration of the other Dukes. Simply put, it would mean war.

Obviously the Anjou armies will be crushed by Paris but it presents an opportunity for myself to profit. I have responded favourably to the overtures of Anjou, in the name of Duke de Dreux of course, and have pledged the latent support of Brittany. In practical terms this is nothing - I certainly wouldn't commit the armies of Brittany to this doomed cause even if I could - but it may be enough to persuade de Vendome to launch his act of defiance. Hopefully this in turn may be enough to convince the other Dukes to strike against their king.

August 14th, Year of Our Lord 1337

Success. The runner has informed me that Bouchard de Vendome has publicly renounced his fealty and obligations to the King of France. Now we shall see what comes of this. In the meantime I will advise the Duke de Dreux to follow a path of neutrality until the reactions of the other dukes can be safely gauged. This I shall do myself through enquiries amongst old friends throughout the lands. I do not trust that spy master with a task of such import.

Geoffrey_of_Anjou.jpg

Duke of Anjou:Bouchard de Vendome

A dangerous game he is playing there - but without risk there are no rewards. And anything which weakens the Valois is surely to be applauded.

Looks like Jacques is beginning to sow the seeds of Valois's doom, perhaps he can interest some other nobles and the English in taking advantage of the strife, and profit himself, though revenge seems ot be something of an end in itself for him now. Glad the Breton summer didn't disappoint Jacques. Looking forward to the next chapter.

Poor Valois... For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind... :D

Ah. Matters are coming to a head. Hope you can turn this into a more... how do you say -- proactive foreign policy, DCU. ;)

Splintering France isn't a bad thing from Brittany's point of view. It may even offer them possibility to expand into more civilized and less harsh lands.

Well, when Anjou is self-destructing it may be time to step in and um, grab a slice.

Of course that may also mean Valois is going to be stronger at the end of it.

stnylan, Olaus Petrus & JimboIX: At this point tearing down the Valois throne is possibly the only hope that Jacques has of escaping the wilds of Brittany. If this puts the Duchy at risk or destroys France itself... well what does he care?

RGB & Kapi: Jacques is a diplomat not a warrior. He's not going to reccomend war unless he's confident of victory. Even then he has to convince the rest of the court and the Duke as well.

JimboIX: That's pretty much his plan. Of course his isolation in Brittany makes it difficult to convince or bargin with anyone outside of the immediate court. There's more disadvantages to the backwater of Brittany than mere weather.

-----​

August 15th, Year of Our Lord 1337

The Duke held his first conference of the court this morning, well the first since the beginning of my tenure in the castle. The immediate court did crowd into his chambers to discuss the war breaking out across the border. I noticed the disturbed looks of both Marshal Jean and his wife as they worried that the old Duke may be recovering enough to tend to the affairs of state himself. Fortunately for them their fears were quickly dispelled by the Duke's appearance - the man was a ghastly shade of grey and a cold sweat plastered both his tunic and thinning hair to his body. It was the face of death, if I may be so florid. Throughout the assembly the Duke could contribute little save his ear.

It is a pity that the Duke was not in full possession of his facilities seeing as I performed so well. In addition to the news of de Vendome's treachery I was able to confirm that Jean de Valois has raised and army from his western lands and is marching on Anjou. De Pontchâteau could merely sit in silent fury as I upstaged him. It was clear that the fool had no inkling of the events occurring just across the border.

Of more significance was my ability to sway the room to my ideas. Admittedly it was not difficult as there were few staunch opinions present. Marshal Jean was the only member of the court to favour action, joining France in crushing its errant vassal, but wiser heads won the day. There is little love for the King of the Franks in Nantes and I suspect that the Marshal was simply eager to take to the field of battle. Instead we will wait and see the reactions of the other lords before committing the duchy to an irrevocable course of action.

My advice was sound, as always, and I emerged from the congress with my standing within the court much enhanced.

August 24th, Year of Our Lord 1337

Rumours abound that the fighting has already begun in Anjou. There has been no smoke on the horizon but a number of refugee peasants have already arrived in Nantes. I have at least discouraged Marshal Jean from riding out with a party of local nobles to view the battle, if there is indeed one, as I fear that his lust for battle might overtake him and spin the situation out of my control. Thankfully his wife was also of the same opinion and together we were able to dissuade him.

I have heard little from the rest of France on events in Anjou. While there has been no rush to aid the hapless de Vendome I remain hopeful that the King's stringent actions will alienate his subjects even more.

August 30th, Year of Our Lord 1337

I have received distressing word from Anjou. Jean de Valois has secured a decisive victory upon the field of battle and has begun to invest the town's fortifications. The King obviously intends to make an example of Anjou and has spared no expense in equipping an army many thousands strong. No doubt he also seeks to send a warning to Brittany and others. The other Dukes will chaff at this heavy hand… but will they take up the banner raised by de Vendome? I admit to growing doubts as my contacts amongst the courts increasingly refuse to commit to a course of action.

September 13th, Year of Our Lord 1337

It is now apparent to me that as long as the siege of Anjou continues Jean's position as King of France is safe. No vassal will dare to rise against him while he maintains such a host, perhaps twelve thousand souls strong, in the field. With his inevitable victory in the siege, the small castle cannot hope to hold out much longer, Jean may well secure his future on the throne. I curse the hesitant fools who dithered rather than leap to the aid of the brave de Vendome.

For once the weather does not match my spirits and the sun is high and glorious in the heavens above. Even this rare display of Creation's splendour cannot lift my foul temperament this day. What chance that Jean de Valois will be so weakened again? Will I ever end my banishment? Bah. I am so reduced to asking rhetorical questions of my journal.

September 19th, Year of Our Lord 1337

News from England! Edward Plantagenet has announced his attention to aid Bouchard de Vendome and force his claim as true king of France. The lands of Anjou were once ruled by the Plantagenets and no doubt Edward feels that the current blood shedding defiles his ancestral lands and thus constitutes just cause for war. The opportunity to press his claim as King of France is surely peripheral to such a noble cause. The rumours that I have heard suggest that the English fleet is already putting to sea. Perhaps the demise of the family Valois is closer at hand than I had hoped? Should the French dukes rally behind Edward then I may be in Paris within the year.

I shall celebrate tonight with a flagon of wine and a servant girl.

EdwardEngland.jpg

My Saviour? King Edward of England

I certainly wait the arrival of Plantagenet. They have chance to weaken Valois greatly. You should consider wisely, which is best staying neutral or ally with house of Plantagenet.

And the several-hundred-years'-with-short-breathers-war starts.

A stroke of luck for Brittany.

Mmm, time for Brittany to pick its path very carefully indeed. The price of mis-stepping...

But this is indeed the best news that he could have hoped for.

I like that the weather breaks when Jacques spirits are low. With Edward in the fray, perhaps the french nobles will overcome their hesitancy, too late to save the Duc de Vendome perhaps, but in plenty of time to doom Jean. Jacques prestige within Brittany is growing as well- he's crafted several valuable alliances and his principal rival seems inept, with England in the fray, I wonder how long it will be before he can find a compelling reason to draw in Brittany as well.

A Plantagenet willing to help? Beware the English... perhaps he's aiming to help the crown for himself... :D

I'm so lovely when I'm so optimistic, I know :D

And so a Hundred Years of war begin... it'll be a sight to see :cool:

Olaus Petrus: Well you can see just what Jacques advocates below. But English interference certainly adds a new dimension to French politics.

RGB & Kapi: I hope that its a Hundred Years War. With CK you can never really be sure.

stnylan: Indeed. The England-France war raises the stakes but brings considerable risks with it. Whether the court in Brittany is willing to take these risks... well read on below ;)

JimboIX: Yourself and Jacques must have much in common. You've consistently been able to read his mind! Its safe to say though that you're right in that the position of the other nobles will be key.

Kurt_Steiner: Oh have no doubts as to the intentions of Edward. He's looking for the crown of France... however Jacques excuses it.

-----​

September 20th, Year of Our Lord 1337

The wine was foul and the wench homely. Such is life in this wretched land.

In the sober light of day I must accept that my options are still limited. It will take months to muster an English army and transport it to French soil. Despite this Edward's intervention in France is a great boon to those seeking the overthrow of the Valois… but there is much work still to be done if I am to be free of this torturous exile. Alas that I cannot submerge myself in the intrigues of the Parisian court but rather I have little choice but to work with the tools provided by the Lord. In this case all that I have to make use of is Bretons. My heart does not soar with confidence.

On reflection I believe that I may possibly have erred in dealing with the Anjou situation. Effective neutrality, that is not raising the banner of civil war, may have been best for the Duchy but perhaps a greater application of pressure would have toppled the Valois crown. An aggressive Brittany may have rallied the support of the Dukes and… Bah dwelling on the past is of no use to me. All that is important is that a more aggressive policy is needed to break the crown.

September 24th, Year of Our Lord 1337

My manoeuvrings of the past days have finally come to a head with the arrival this morn of a messenger from the King demanding that Duke Jean fulfil his feudal obligations and mobilise his regiments in defence of the realm. And so forth. I am pleased to report that, despite the protests of our ever eager Marshal, the rider was dismissed out of hand. I am not the only noble in Brittany with little love for Jean de Valois. The example currently being made of neighbouring Anjou has not enhanced the King's popularity in Nantes.

Unfortunately I have been unable to garner enough support within the court to adapt a more… proactive stance and actively take up arms against Paris. Ironically the only real support that I have is Marshal Jean who desires combat regardless of the cause. His wife Jeanne de Dampierre is far more cautious and is clearly unwilling to risk her husband's inheritance in some risky venture. Naturally de Pontchâteau opposes me out of principle while Steward Jeanne de Savoie was unwilling to take a stand without consulting her husband.

It is of course the Duke that I am depending on to take this stance but alas his ill health continues to plague him. The Steward and Marshal squabble endlessly for daily control of the duchy but a decision of the magnitude of taking up arms against France cannot be taken by anyone other than Duke Jean. Curses.

September 24th, Year of Our Lord 1337

I tried. At least I can say that. The disease that devours the Duke's lungs must also have affected his mind and he has refused my advice to begin immediate negotiations with England. The old man is willing to disobey his liege but will not contemplate… treason. I tried to dissuade the Duke from using such ugly language but he was quite insistent on this matter. Without any real support from the rest of the court on this issue there is little that I can do but acquiesce to his policy of neutrality.

Despite my misgivings I will fulfil my duties and communicate the wishes of the Duke to his liege. Due to his ill health the Duke de Dreux will regretfully be unable to rally to the aid of the King of the Franks in his honourable and valorous struggle against the English pigdog invaders. He will however pray that his liege enjoys a swift and comprehensive victory against those who would oppose His Majesty. And so on and so forth. It is enough to make me nauseous.

At least the package will not have far to travel… Jean de Valois is still investing the fortifications at Anjou. No doubt that also had some bearing on de Dreux's decision.

A few days of thorough disappointment. Well, such is life.