• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Shah Suleiman II – The Persian Inquisition

safavid1.jpg

Shah Suleiman I – The Persian Inquisition (1675 – 1683)​

The war was over and Suli needed someone to blame. Jalil one of the three surviving members of the council, brother of Najam suggested the Sunni and Orthodox minorities were at fault. They hadn’t aided Najam enough in his fights against the Polish and the people of Egypt left Husayn’s army ill supplied in their fights against the Spanish. Of course every sensible soul in the Empire knew none of this was true but an angered Suli lapped it all up. If the Safavids were to achieve victory against enemies abroad they must first destroy their enemies within. Suli drew up plans to phase the Sunnis and Christians out of politics in the regions they dominated and slowly whittle away at their support. The other two members of the council were appalled by this suggestion. Despite the Empire being staunchly Shiite previous Shahs had long tolerated the other beliefs within the borders and being Safavid was more important then religion. They begged Suli to reconsider but his mind was made up – some said lost. The remaining two members of the council fled to Afghanistan after Suli threatened to have them executed if they failed to aid him in his plans.

Meanwhile, far away from Isfahan in Natal the governor, Hossein received a letter of this new policy of intolerance. He sent back a polite reply insisting he would do all he could then threw the letter away. Safavid South Africa was a place of freedom and for the most part peace away from the turmoil of the Empire and Hossein wouldn’t allow petty religious differences to interfere with his work. There were more pressing needs – such as establishing a colony to the west in Namaqua.

1-12.jpg
The planned new colony in SSA​

Just a year later in the Empire proper the actions of Suli wreaked havoc across the lands.

2-14.jpg
The Persian Inquisition​

Across the Empire people rose up in revolt – in some case Shiites as well as the persecuted Orthodox and Sunni minorities. The army was in place though – they knew where they trouble would be and dealt with it ruthlessly.

Jalil aside from being made head (inevitable if illogical seen as he was the only member) of the Council was given command of the Kizilbash Guard. He took his men to the Jordan where they brutally converted the population by any means they had at their disposal.

3-11.jpg
Conversion of Jordan​

Across the Empire, the people shocked and disgusted by the actions of their ruler revolted and the army had a hard time putting down the rebels. Not even the most pessimistic of commanders predicted the ferocity and size of the backlash against Suli’s new policies.

4-9.jpg
Some of the many rebels​

Jalil next travelled across the sea to Gao (the Safavid holding in India from the Portuguese war) where the inhabitants suffered a similar fate to those in the Judea.

4.jpg
Conversion of Gao​

In the short time between messengers arriving announcing more rebels or fighting had broken out Suli had time to sign a trade agreement with the Spanish. While the agreement itself was of little use to either side it allowed diplomatic relations to be re-opened. There had been practically no contact since the Safavids had removed the Spanish puppet-king in Naples.

7-2.jpg
Persian-Spanish Trade Agreement​

In 1683 signs of an end to the rebellions appeared. Suli and the army were beginning to regain control of the Empire. The colony in SSA had been completed and it now shared borders with both Danish and Portuguese colonies. Hossein began to look for further room to expand inland but was informed this was impossible. The terrain was just too inhospitable. After hearing this he began to turn his attention east to the poorly defended Portuguese holdings which dotted the coast. Hossein decided to write a letter to Suli asking him to look at the possibility of a war with the Portuguese over the region. If Suli was mad enough to order the Inquisition then surely he would allow Hossein to take a bit of land off some heathens – after all this might actually do the Empire some good.

Last edited:
All in all such times of troubles are quite useful later, aren't they? The less wrong religion provinces, the higher tax values, faster economic growth etc... ;)

At least, from my point of view.
Kill the Portuguese! Death to the infidels! ;)

I've just caught up, and I must say, this makes for some quite fantastic reading!

I almost feel sorry for Suli; he seems to be desperately grabbing for straws in his descent into religious zealotry.

Even though the conversion will be better, in the end, for the Empire, how long will Suli be tolerated?

Definatly makes for a nicer place to live in the long run Duke and Emperor the only issue at the moment is I had to move my sliders from a high tolerance on Sunni and Orthodox relgions to 0 tolerance so now I'm dealing with revolts every other month.

As for the Portuguese they're being dealt with ;)

Thanks Aesir and I do too - going to try and give him a nice ending but can't promise anything.

Shah Suleiman II – Great

safavid1.jpg

Shah Suleiman II – Great (1683 – 1687)​

The letter was well crafted, playing on the heathen expansion into Africa and their despicable attempts to convert the natives to Christianity. It didn’t really matter though Suli barely read the letter and rightfully had a lot of faith in his governor. Hossein had changed SSA from a profitable backwater to the pride of the Empire. If he wanted to attack an ally-less Portuguese let him however other then the 10,000 men sent by Suli the war would have to be fought by the men of SSA. The Empire couldn’t afford to send troops across the seas for such a conflict.

As soon as news returned to Hossein he called for volunteers from the colonies and soon had almost 30,000 men in SSA. The plan of attack was simple. The Portuguese had no defences and only a few thousand men so a 10,000 strong force would march north through their holdings and capture them.

1attackplan.jpg
The master plan​

Meanwhile a further 18,000 men would board the Fleet of Hormouz and set sail for the Portuguese lands in south America which they called ‘Brasil’ on the maps stolen all those years ago. Some doubted if these lands still existed but the Portuguese maps had never been wrong before so Hossein took a gamble.

Back on the home front Suli took personal charge of the army and led 20,000 men as they chased around the ‘attack’ groups of the Portuguese. Fortunately for the Empire (and the poor men under Suli’s command) the ‘attack’ groups were never greater then around 4000 men so were swept up with ease.

2-15.jpg
Unless they can do better then this the war doesn’t look good​

Aboard the Fleet of Hormouz the captain was beginning to get worried. They had just passed a small island – St Helena which was about half way to their supposed destination and supplies were running thin. He doubted they would be able to scavenge much when they reached their destination and the supplies would have to last all the while the fighting continued. It just wasn’t going to happen.

3-12.jpg
Passing St Helena – the greatest journey of any Safavid ship to date​

Despite the Captains worries the fleet soon saw land and a small dock coupled with colony. Shouts rung out across deck and the men prepared to make landfall in the new world.

4-8.jpg
The Safavid Army strikes​

The attack was, not surprisingly a victory. As soon as the men had established themselves in Itaimas they split into two attack groups. One headed north the other south and took what unfortified provinces they could. After only 6 months around 7 or 8 provinces in Brasil were under Safavid control. The risk, and it was a great one had paid off. There was a bit of an overkill of troops in Brasil though. Anticipating heavy resistance a large army had been sent but the troops never faced more then 2000 Portuguese defenders at once. The attacks in Africa had gone a similar way with the Safavid army marching north and capturing all the lands the Portuguese held there. It wasn’t long after when an emissary arrived begging for peace…

5-7.jpg
Well can’t complain​

Suli accepted the offer.

6-5.jpg
The new and improved SSA​

It was the single greatest gain of land since Abbas the Great annexed Egypt and conveniently acted as a huge propaganda boost for Suli. The people who before the war had been growing weary of his rule now worshipped the ground he walked on. Some even suggested making him the second ‘Great’ on the grounds no one since had gained such great amounts of land since Abbas. These people were however quickly reminded he was a zealous crackpot with little talents for rulership but the thought was there.

In the SSA Hossein got around to converting the population of the newly acquired lands. While he was tolerant of other believes he still new all too well that having a huge Christian block of provinces wouldn’t bode well in any future wars with the Portuguese. His conversions were performed in a much more peaceful way then the Inquisition however.

7convert.jpg
The missionaries arrive!​

The people of SSA also began referring to Hossein as ‘Great Governor’ so at least someone got a Great title out of the whole thing.

I must echo CR's sentiments about Hossein. It would be interesting is the SSA becomes to the Safavids what USA is to the British. And I suspect you may have that in mind ;)

Well all in all a very fine war there. I'm all too familiar with those ridiculous forces the Portuguese invade with but can't argue with the results it allows you to get.

The troops in Brasil are waiting to be shipped back Ragusa. The fleet had to turn tail back to SSA so as not to be destroyed by attrition. As for Shah I had a think about that but however hard I try I can't think of a way to get him in charge :rofl:

Yes Duke I had a think about the USA/SSA thing when I named it. Going to move that on at some point just not sure where it'll go.

I sent 15 ships sergius because I never really play naval countries and I don't know how to use ships :) Kind of helps simulate the Safavid anti-naval policies though! Didn't need an explorer had the maps to brasil from when Abbas the Great sacked all the Portuguese holdings in Arabia.

Finally thanks a lot to Duke for nominating me for the Showcase of the week. Its great to get things like this. Kinda funny though seen as if not for the Golden Horde I doubt I'd ever have even started writing this. Anyway big thanks to Duke and all of you who've read the AAR!

Some doubted if these lands still existed
I loved this passage, Fingal :).

The rest of the update was cool just as well. What surprised me though was, why didn't Hossein try to take lands in the New World? Travelling all the way there seems a bit pointless if no territorial gains were made there - even if that was to be just one province.
At least, in my humble opinion. :cool:

Ah, and by the way, how about another update? ;)

Didn't take land due to the embarrassingly poor navy. Didn't want to have to try to sail out there and protect it though in reality against the AI it wouldn't have been too hard. Plus I see it as kinda out of the Safavid shpere of influence for now.

As for an update today or tomoro - just got back from a short holiday and was going to do it before but well things always don't go to plan ;)

safavid1.jpg

Shah Suleiman II – (1687 – 1694)​

As the new year came most of the court could see Suli was entering the twilight of his reign. He was an old man now and had in truth been a reasonable Shah. Nothing amazing but the Safavid Empire had gained from his reign which couldn’t be said for some of his more recent predecessors. Unfortunately with his age came whispers around the court of the Shah growing weak and unable to rule properly – a mere shadow of the religious zealot that once scouredthe corridors of the Harem for heretics. In an attempt to preserve this image Suli organised a new tax.

1.tax.jpg
Suli’s master tax plan​

The peasants weren’t happy with it but they never were. As well as sparking the usual rebellions a few heretics rose up again invigorated by memories of Suli’s past campaigns against unbelievers. Suli was secretly pleased – it gave him an excuse to come down hard and prove he still had what it took to be head of the Safavid Empire.

2.heretics.jpg
Some rebels that actually make Suli happy!​

Suli quickly ordered one of the restored 20,000 man strong armies which protected the Empire to mop up the rebels. They dealt with them mercilessly and the heretical population was left in no doubt who their master was and where their loyalties should lie.

3.rebels.jpg
Attacking the heretical rebels​

After dealing with the rebels Suli was in truth a little bored. In his youth he would have gone out campaigning against the infidels but he was old and tired now the fighting had to be left to younger men. His mood was also worse then it once was – despite all his campaigning other then the core of Shiite provinces within the Empire the whole world hated him and his order.

The next year however a man arrived at court set to improve his mood. A young noble named Donash wished men and endorsement to go exploring into the heart of Africa – west of the newly acquired lands on the eastern coast. Money was plentiful and reports of the Spanish success against the people of the Americas were widespread. Suli therefore sanctioned his expedition and gave him ships to sail to Africa in.

4.conny.jpg
Our new friend Donash bursts onto the scene​

On his arrival to Africa Donash wasted no time. He immediately began scouting deeper into the mysterious continent and soon found a kingdom hidden within the jungles and plains of the land. The kingdom was a primitive one with only spears to defend itself. Despite this reports found in the old Portuguese buildings described fierce natives who repeatedly attacked their colonies even forcing tribute from the King of Portugal to halt the attacks.

Donash’s initial urge to attack and conquer potentially gold rich lands was halted by the terrain. A feasibility report commissioned by Donash estimated that the lands of Zimbabwe would only support armies of around 2000 before huge numbers were lost to lack of supplies, disease and the hostile natives. On top of this the primitives were apparently more then capable of building large forts. Many were manned by 10,000 or even 15,000 men. The losses in such a war would be horrific even without any pitched battles. Donash and his small force couldn’t hope to defeat this new kingdom alone – this wasn’t going to be another Pizarro or Cortez.

5.zimbabwe.jpg
Zimbabwe​

With his plans for a campaign into the heart of Africa spoilt Donash turned his attention to the coast. Just west of the last Safavid colony of the SSA was a Danish colony and beyond that no one knew. Donash intended to find out and so taking his demoralised men set sail around the Danish colony before arriving at a new land which he named Ovambo. Here he began establishing a colony.

5.discovers.jpg
Donash’s backup plan​

Meanwhile back in Isfahan age was catching up with Suli. He was weak and the doctors predicted he would live no longer then a week. The factions in the court were already lining up their own successors…

An explorer is always desired, isn't it?
Pity there's always turmoil awaiting when a Shah dies in the Empire... Another Abbas or Ismail would be needed to clean all this up.

Hmmm, plenty of new successors on the way eh? Sounds like the future shall be one marred by a lot of conflict within the Empire. I can only hope that the world that hates you doesn't jump at the opportunity or that the SSA do not approve of whoever shall succeed and use it as an excuse to secede.

Nice to get a conquistador, they can be so handy for getting those last little bits you need.