• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(65153)

Second Lieutenant
Jan 25, 2007
The Safavid Empire - The Rising Sun​

safavid1.jpg

Carrying on my AAR as the Kara Koyunlu here as the Safavids. Its played on Normal/Normal using AGCEEP.

The Safavids have taken control of the former Black Sheep empire slaying its leader Jahan Shah and his son Pir Budaq is missing presumed dead after defeat in battle. I'll start after the battle with Pir and death of Haider with the Safavids in control but facing rebellions all over the place. The Khorasan have remained vassals but all other alliances have ended with the Kara Koyunlu. It'll probably read fine if you ignore the Kara Koyunlu bit but there might be a few references back to it. Any comments/suggestions/critisms are welcome. Nice to know what people think. :)

5.jpg
The lands the Safavids inherited​

The Shahs of the Safavids

Shah Ali - The Empire of Persia
Shah Ismail I - Call me Ismail, The Influence of Ismail, The Leadership of Ismail, 'I was born yesterday, I will die today'
Shah Tahmasp I - He Can Fight, Manipulating the Mughals, Suleyman the Magnificently Annoying, India and Egypt, Peace Plan for the Middle East, The War of Peace, Peace at last?
Ismail - The Mad Man
Shah Muhammad Khudabanda I - The Man in Black Strikes Back
Hamza Mirza - Just another could have been...
Abu Talib - Not up to the job
Shah Abbas the Great - 'Most Perfect Leader', Fortune Favours the Bold, the Great, The Fleet of Hormouz , A World Power?, Peaceful Times, Can anything stop him now?, Pride goeth before a fall
Shah Safi I - The Yellow Shah, A New Hope, Into the Mist
Shah Abbas II - How can we win when fools can be king?, The Council of Siena, Of the Kizilbash, Decisions Decisions
Shah Suleiman I - Fighting the Good Fight, The Good Die Young, A Black Day, The Persian Inquisition, Great

Last edited:
Shah Ali - The Empire of Persia

safavid1.jpg

Shah Ali – The Empire of Persia (1486 - 1494)​

10.jpg
Shah Ali, Grand Master of the Safaviyeh Sufi​

With the end of the Kara Koyunlu the time of the Safavids had begun. Haider, the obvious Shah of the new Shiite state had been slain in battle by Pir, the last Black Sheep Shah. Ali took control as Shah and Grand Master of the Safaviyeh Sufi and set about consolidating the power of the Safavids in the region.

The first challenge before Ali was the great number of Sunni rebels. Some revolted in opposition to the true Shiite faith, while others simply wanted a little chunk of power for themselves. Ali suggested sending missionaries to show them the light of the true faith. One missionary was beheaded the rest were just told to bugger off. Having seen his first approach fail he sent the militant wing of the Safavids to deal with them.

2.jpg
Rebels, rebels everywhere​

The Safavids were brave warriors and soon got on top of the minor rebel problem. They won battles against them in Lut, Azerbaijan, Khorasan, Kirkuk, Awhaz and Fars. The newly converted horde of the Kara Koyunlu slew all who came before them! After victories against the rebels the Safavid position appeared rather strong. However the Khorasan had used the confusion to declare themselves independent and ally with the Uzbeks to north which concerned Ali but there was little he could do for now.

Ali next declared the Safavids the rulers of the ancient Empire of Persia and lay claim to Timurid lands to the south of Khorasan. The armies of the Safavids marched on the Timurids as the Black Sheep had done before…

6.jpg
Attack on the Timurids in the north​

7.jpg
Attack on the Timurids in the south​

The war went well with victories in Baluchistan and Bukhara. In the north the Safavid army led the attack on the new Timurid capital, Samarkland and in the south Bukhara was put under siege. Revolts broke out in Kurdistan and Fars which left Ali in a tricky position. He couldn’t let up on the Timurids lest lose ground in the east but he had to suppress the rebellions in the west. He responded by raising a small force and attacking the rebels. Despite a humiliating loss to the rebels in Fars (who were quickly swept away a month later by the fanatical Kara Koyunlu horde) the campaign was successful.

The Timurids had been routed and their cities captured. Peace was made and the three southern provinces of Persia changed hands to their rightly owners, the Safavids.

12.jpg
The spoils of the war​

Only a year after the war Ali died. He and Haider would be remembered as the founders of the Safavid Empire and were buried in a great mausoleum surrounded by flowers.

mauso.jpg
The Mausoleum of Ali and Haider​

otoos07.jpg

Yeah they got Constantinople and most of the minors in Asia Minor. They've also got Isfahan smack bang in the middle of the Safavid empire. :( They'll have to be dealt with at some point but their military tech scares me :p

You could have edited the Kara Koyunlu and Safavid event files to give you the choice of staying Kara, though you would have to have invented monarch, leaders, conquistadors and explorers(if wanted). That said, I do not remember seeing a Safavid AAR before, so I'll wait with baited breath to see which lands next feel Sufi enlightenment.

That was my plan Ragusa but after trying adding a couple of events I realised I just don't have the time/energy to do it all. If I were to do that I'd want to add events for a full Kara Koyunlu campaign. Also realised the Safavids could be good fun so decided to go with this! :)

Shah Ismail - Call me Ismail

safavid1.jpg

Shah Ismail I – Call me Ismail (1484-1505)​

2.jpg
Shah Ismail I​

Ismail came to lead the Safavids at a young age but as a descendant of the great Safi Al-din he knew what had to be done. Firstly he allowed the Turkish nobles power in order to consolidate Safavid rule and secondly began his campaign to convert the newly formed Safavid Empire to the Shiite faith.

1.jpg
The Shia State​

Next Ismail sought out allies but as he studied the maps of the world he noticed one predominant feature. Everyone else, save the tiny kingdom of Al-Haasa were Sunni or something else not Shiite. He was also informed by his advisors that the Safavids weren’t the most popular country on the block. The Khorasan hated them for claiming to be overlords of Persia, the Ottomans were devout Sunnis and the Mamluks well the Mamluks hated everyone (years of rebellions do that to a state). Ismail merely shrugged. The Al-Haasa would make fine allies besides with divine favour on their side they couldn’t lose. The
Al-Haasa agreed and Ismail sent a gift to thank them.

4.jpg
The Kingdom of Al-Haasa​

A group of Turkish nobles presented a gift to Ismail showing their thanks for the powers he had granted them. He used the money to build tax collectors in Awhaz and Hamadan.

Ismail’s spies reported that the Khorasan alliance with the Uzbeks was due to expire in 1498, just two years time. This was grand news, the Khorasan could finally be punished for their disobedience and the Persian Empire that Shah Ali had dreamed of would be all but united! Ismail ordered more troops to be trained as well as tax collectors to be built. All this cost many ducats of gold but that was not a problem. The Safavids were rich, very rich. Each year huge chests full of gold and spices came from the Timurids. Half the income from Samarkand was owed to the Safavids as part of their tribute and the riches of Samarkand were legendary!

The two years dragged on. Ismail waited patiently, writing poetry and organising his Shiite missionaries. When 1489 finally came and the Khorasan were no longer protected by the Uzbeks the Safavid army fell down upon their lands. The old Kara Koyunlu horde, renamed The Persian Army led the march on the Kingdom of Khorasan. There was little resistance from Khorasan and the Safavid forces were soon firmly in control of the war.

7.jpg
Beating on Khorasan​

As the war progressed more good news arrived. The provinces of the Empire had started to move to the true Shiite faith. Lut, Meched, Kirkuk and Hormouz all converted to the Safavid faith. For Ismail this was almost as good news as the results of the war. Ruling a united country was more important then ruling a large one.

7-1.jpg
Soon got used to seeing a lot of these…​

Having crushed the Khorasan Ismail sent diplomats to negotiate a peace. It took five days of peace talks but at last, after the Khorasan king was informed he could leave alive as a vassal or leave in a coffin he agreed to hand over Birjand, Kushka and Qandanar and return to being a Safavid vassal. This left Ismail in charge of the lands from the Indus River to Asia Minor. The Safavids were now truly the overlords of all of Persia!

8.jpg
The Safavid Persian Empire​

News also arrived of four more provinces converting to the Shiite faith. The people of Basrah were shocked by this however (being staunch Sunnis) and so revolted. They were quickly dealt with and they too saw the error of their ways, converting almost immediately after their defeat. Shiite immigrants were also pouring in from the neighbouring Sunni states which were becoming increasingly anti-Shiite and anti-Safavid.

In 1505 work on an academy of fine arts was announced. Ismail took it on as a personal project being a keen and fairly gifted poet. Ismail also sent a messenger to the Al-Haasa informing them that they should become vassals of the Safavids ‘in order to promote the unity of the Shiites’. Now Ismail’s advisors chuckled to themselves and spent their time pitying the poor messenger sent to deliver Ismail’s request. After all the Al-Haasa were a proud people they wouldn’t just submit like this. To their surprise however they did, perhaps their ruler was more influential then they thought…

Shah Ismail I - The Influence of Ismail

safavid1.jpg

Shah Ismail I – The Influence of Ismail (1505-1514)​

In January of 1506 the Uzbeks invaded the remnants of the Timurid Empire taking Samarkland and Bukhara. This worried Ismail; the Uzbeks were a growing force and one that wasn’t too keen on his Safavid Empire. Just a month later however good news arrived the academy of fine arts had been completed. Ismail sent missionaries to Fars, Kushka and Saheden in an attempt to turn them from the Sunni faith. It was costly but he knew that this was a matter beyond material possessions such as money. Besides he had a lot of it doing nothing in the palace vault.

Ismail spent the next two years touring his new realm. He was impressed and yet worried. The vast tracks of land and many cities under his rule were the backbone of the Empire he envisioned but everything wasn’t yet in place. He set a group of his best advisors to the task of starting to reform the economy of the Safavid realm.

After his tour Ismail received some interesting news…

1shiite.jpg
Ismail’s simple choice​

The news of Shiite rebels in the Ottoman Empire was an opportunity too good to turn down. Ismail offered his full support to them. The support and will of Ismail held such sway in the region that the Ottoman Sultan had no choice but to give in to the will of the rebels. The Ottoman Empire was announced as a Shiite nation. The Sultan had seen the light and would lead his people under the Safavid religion. The Ottomans also joined Ismail's alliance. Ismail simply nooded and said 'Good' when told. In this mind it had been inevitable that the Ottomans would convert and if the Sultan had resisted he was simply delaying what was destined to happen.

3.jpg
The Ottomans convert​

This action by the Sultan infuriated the vastly Sunni majority in the Ottoman lands and was seen as a weakness in Christian Greece. It plunged the Ottomans into turmoil with rebellions breaking out across the empire and the Sultans control being limited to the capital in Istanbul. Ismail offered to lend the Persian Army to the Sultans cause and put down the rebels but the Ottomans were wary of Ismail asserting too much influence over them and refused his gracious offer. Ismail shrugged when he heard the news, after all the troops could be better used elsewhere.

4-1.jpg
Rebels going wild in the Ottoman Empire​

The missionaries in eastern Persia were attacked as a result of these events and their attempts failed. Ismail was not put off though and sent more missionaries to the east.

The Uzbeks continued their aggression in the east now attacking Ismail’s vassal Khorasan. Ismail was furious, he mounted his horse and prepared to lead the Persian Army to battle to teach the Uzbeks a lesson. They marched for Khorasan first where Ismail held council with the King. Ismail left the palace calm and collect with his anger for the Uzbeks cooled. He had been persuaded to leave the Uzbeks for another day. His advisors were puzzled by this and none knew what the King had said to Ismail but he left Herat and headed back for Azerbaijan.

5.jpg
Uzbek expansion (striped red = Khorasan gains and striped brown = Timurid gains)​

Ismail returned to his capital but stayed only a week. He and a small force started travelling to Al-Haasa. When asked why by an advisor he simply said, ‘to unite our kingdoms’. For a second time Ismail’s advisors thought he had lost it. Vassalage was one thing but to bring the many local sheiks into the Safavid Empire was impossible. Ismail would be lucky to leave Al-Haasa alive. They again however underestimated the will of the Shah who when he arrived in Al-Haasa, called a meeting of all local leaders and informed them they were part of his empire. There was silence in the hall but none disputed his declaration. The lands formally of the Kingdom of Al-Haasa were now provinces of the Safavid Empire. His advisors were shocked, yet again Ismail had done what most thought impossible.

Ismail’s advisors had also finished establishing the steps which must be taken to reform the Safavid Empire.

9.jpg
Ismail’s reforms​

These steps would greatly improve the economy of his Empire and allow it to compete with any force who might oppose Ismail!

Rather then wasting time partying as previous rulers of this region had Ismail didn’t stop. He now turned his attention to the Sunni neighbour of Ormuz (formerly ‘The People Across the Sea’)

12.jpg
The Kingdom of Ormuz​

Ismail was now beyond the need for military action in the region. Ormuz would submit because he willed it to. He now carried enough weight and power to force them to accept his religion and accept hisoffer of vassalage without argument. Ismail simply sent a cap, and ordered King Terunxa to submit. The King reluctantly accepted his ‘gift’ and converted to the Shia faith.

10.jpg
Ismail’s Influence​

Ormuz also joined Ismail’s alliance.

Ismail slumped, relaxing as he sat on his throne accepting gifts from many minor Kingdoms bordering the Safavid Empire, the Ottomans, the rulers in the provinces and his vassals Khorasan. Gold flooded into the palace and the vaults were almost full. None could match the wealth, power and influence of the Safavids! The Shiite faith was spreading and Ismail was sure the Safavid dominance was assured for decades to come… (his advisors thought he was wrong again and he knew it but what did they know?)

Not sure really :D

Not really interested in the Uzbek lands but a force conversion might be on the cards. I've a feeling events might throw some more obvious enemies up though. I'm just hoping the Ottomans don't convert back to Sunni via an event cause then there'd be a war and that 12 military tech scares me.. especially seen as mine is about 5 :(

The Uzbeks have thwarted the match of enlightenment, taken lands rightfully Safavid and need to be taught a lesson. Retake those lands, place the Uzbeks under your thumb as vassals and part of your alliance.

The Turks are your allies for the moment, use them well!

The Turks seem to have used me first :rolleyes:

I'll update tonight and you'll see what I mean although you can probably guess.
After that its the Mamluks or Uzbeks... I've a Casus Belli on both and both are Sunni so its a toss up.

Shah Ismail - The Leadership of Ismail

safavid1.jpg

Shah Ismail I – The Leadership of Ismail (1514-1520)​

The Safavid world was peaceful. The rebellions had petered out with even the most rebellious rebels admitting that perhaps Ismail was a good chap to have in charge. Life was good and Ismail took this time to have a break. He again travelled across his realm. Things had changed, there were trade caravans everywhere, he could see the wealth flowing through his country. When he reached the northern province of Hormouz he received pleas from local leaders to attack the Uzbeks. It was claimed that they had troops garrisoned all along the border and were a threat. Ismail was unconvinced, besides they were allied to the Chagatai Khanate to the north and Ismail thought it needless to cause such a large war on his eastern borders.

A year after in 1519 the Ottomans broke the peace Ismail had brought to the region, they attacked Lithuania and for some strange reason Denmark (why is a mystery to this day). Ismail thought the war unnecessary but still rode to the aid of his Shiite brothers…

1-1.jpg
The Ottomans attack…​

The Sultan in Istanbul took a different view. Far from being unnecessary the war was a great idea and to show what a great idea it was he declared war on the Milanese too.
Ismail reluctantly agreed to help (he was now at war with two countries he had never heard of before).

2-1.jpg
The Ottomans like war it seems​

The Poles also decided to join in, part of some alliance with Lithuania apparently (Ismail cared little). The Poles flooded over the Ottoman border into the northern Ottoman provinces.

3-2.jpg
Polish attack​

Ismail led the Persian Army through Thrace and northwards to aid his allies against the Polish threat. He first met a 10,000 strong Polish army in Rumelia.

5-1.jpg
Ismail I – good Sultan and general!​

They met on a flat grassy plain and Ismail ordered the infantry to attack while he led the cavalry in a flanking manoeuvre. The Safavid forces were well organised and the infantry advanced in good order but as they came closer ranks of men came out of the Polish lines carrying arquebus’ - the weapons the Ottomans used. Ismail looked on with fear as they fired, the Safavid line took a battering but carried on the advance starting to charge. After another volley however the began to waver. A few men even fled; forsaking any honour they once had by doing so. Ismail and the cavalry crashed into the Polish lines just after and broke the Polish army. It had been a close fought battle even though they outnumbered the Polish almost two to one. These new weapons worried Ismail greatly.

He ordered his men to take the weapons the Poles left as they fled. They were collected and placed in a huge chest which was sent back to Azerbaijan, perhaps his alchemists could discover their secrets.

Next Ismail led his army to retake Dobruja, the most northern Ottoman province. After he defeated the Polish army there the forces of Poland came again and again against the Safavid lines. For the next six months Ismail’s army fought almost none stop.

6.jpg
Holding off yet another attack​

Finally however the military skills of Ismail pulled through. The Poles, tired of the heavy losses Ismail had inflicted on their forces offered peace for almost 200 ducats.

7-2.jpg
Peace with the Poles​

Ismail almost bit the diplomats hand off at the offer. The Safavids had held them off and yet the new weapons that their opponents carried were a great worry to Ismail. He knew that his Safavid forces couldn’t wage war against an opponent who used these fire spouting arquebus’. More and more states in the west were developing this new technology… something must be done!

He negotiated a white peace with the Lithuanians and told his advisors to do everything in their power to try and discover the secret of these new weapons but this would take time. For now he wished to test the loyalty of the Ottomans, he had proved his loyalty and it was their turn…

Hmm, I think I would just join but let the Turks fall to Poland! They will be a Threat later on And they are to big for YOUR middle east ;) They are!