Closed Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Sengoku Mod Test

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest HourEast India Company Collection
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneLeviathan: WarshipsMagickaNaval War: Arctic CirclePirates of Black Cove
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuThe Showdown EffectVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisWar of the RosesEU3 Collectors Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Sengoku Mod Test

You can get it here.

Here's the readme, which should cover everything major (I hope) :

Sakura's Sengoku Japan Mod v2.1

Changes from v2.0

- fixed duplicate event code
    - fixed typo
    - fixed badboy trigger
    - added flag to Bakufu Control Measures
    - Sengoku Daimyo can get Tanegashima
    - Christians won't get Sakoku event
    - changed Sobujirei to give cores
    - added Christian Otomo (from 1578)

Changes from v1.4

- added event to change back to Feudal Daimyo government if you fall under a certain size
    - added inheritance event with a long mtth to help prod the AI into unification
    - made it so that a centralized shogunate cannot enter RMs.
    - removed closed/open slider, instead making changes to innovative/narrowminded
    - added 2nd Gift to the Emperor event for countries with low badboy
    - reduced mobilization money to 100 ducats
    - altered Feudal Daimyo government by reducing tax bonus and adding reduction in regiment costs
    - made the switch to Sengoku Daimyo a little later and a little less abrupt
    - included Sysyphe's sengoku graphics

---------------------

Changes from v1.3

- added Sysyphe's translated localisation files
    - added strait crossing between Mutsu and Ezochi

---------------------

Changes from v1.2

- fixed bug in Expulsion of the Christians event
    - changed text of Peasant Revolt event

---------------------

Changes from v1.1

- fixed changed province names in text.csv

---------------------

Changes from v1.0

- fixed bug in Daimyo Revolt event

---------------------

Changes from v0.51

- added 10 events (covering up to beginning of Tokugawa Shogunate), tweaked some existing ones
    - minor changes to event text, province files, monarch files
    - fixed flag, text bugs
    - changed Austria's color to white
    - changed Uesugi color

---------------------

Changes from v0.50

- fixed bug in event causing CB on all the world
    - fixed dates in Hojo, Date, and Ichijo monarch lists
    - altered feudal daimyo government bonuses to give 200% manpower, 300% Support Limit, 300% Global Tax
    - increased number of provinces needed to invoke government change
    - reduced revolt value of Gekokujo from 3 to 2 (same as Ikko Ikki)
    - removed JAP cores to prevent JAP as a revolter
    - added 'Do Nothing' option to Puppet Shogun event
    - added at least some temporary explanatory text to each event

---------------------

Unless you edit the files in localisation, this mod will most likely not work for non-English versions of EU3.

This is merely a test version of this mod, so that I can get feedback. It is not considered finished in any way. That said, I certainly consider it to be playable.

This mod is an attempt to greatly expand on EU3's portrayal of Japan from 1453-1793. It is deterministic in that it is intended to cause Japan to split up, then ultimately re-unify. By 1453 the causes for the ultimate collapse of central government in Japan were already well rooted, and I can not imagine a plausible situation in which Japan could have avoided that fate (especially in the mere 13 years between the begining of EU3 and the Onin War!). If playing a nation outside of Asia, this mod should not effect your game in any meaningful way.

Changes:
    • Includes a new Japan roughly the same size as the default EU3 one, but with a more accurate shape and 4 additional provinces.
    • Completely recalculated manpower and taxation numbers for Japanese provinces using historic population estimates for France, England, Spain as well as historical Japanese statistics on production and population. Overall, this meant that total Japanese tax values had to be doubled, and manpower tripled (although I changed the distribution of these values to be historically accurate). I do not feel that doing this makes Japan "overpowered" in any way. (BTW, the numbers of Ming and the Mughals need to be increased even more drastically)
    • Includes 28 Japanese clans with accurate monarch lists.
    • Designed to be played from any starting date (although post-1477 is recommended unless using an AI Japan). I've tried to include as many various wars, alliances, province changes, etc., that I could.
    • Added 4 government types :
      Feudal Shogunate (a government with various negatives to simulate the weakness of the Ashikaga Shogunate)
      Feudal Daimyo (a type with boosts to manpower, taxes, and support limits designed to make the 1 province daimyo clans more able to conduct war)
      Sengoku Daimyo/Centralized Shogunate (at this point, essentially the same as Feudal Monarchy)
    • added the "Closed/Open Society" policy slider, which is essentially a much nastier version of the Innovative/Narrowminded slider. The key elements here are that when moved to the left it severely limits tech growth (-5 should make a 0.8 tech group nation into roughly a 0.3 one) and reduces the number of diplomats received. Although its still very much a work in progress (I haven't yet decided what the right side benefits should be), I think it will be useful to simulate Sakoku and the internal orientation of Confucian states.
    • moved Shinto from the Eastern religious group into a Japanese religious group. This was primarily because I wanted the various daimyo to be able to have the full range of diplomatic options amongst themselves, but did not want them marrying with Korea, Ming, etc.
    • The Chinese tech group has been changed from 0.4 to 0.8
    • Added fort1 to each Japanese province (except Hokkaido), as most were defenseless. Should perhaps be made fort2 in some provinces.
    • Added a number of temples to Japanese provinces (it had only 1 originally)
    • Added about 25 unique events

Non-Japanese Effects of This Mod:
    • moved Manchu to the Tangusic culture group
    • added "Chinese Emperor" government type, largely for flavor reasons, and to prevent Ming royal marriages
    • The Chinese tech group has been changed from 0.4 to 0.8
    • Ming and Korea have been given -4 Closed Society which should mean their tech growth is about the same as in vanilla.
    • A Tanegashima event for Catholic European nations used to set off a Japanese event for the introduction of guns.

Planned Changes:
    • Adding text to most events
    • Most "What If?" events are still undone
    • There are multiple minor things that have to be changed, such as fine tuning in positions.txt, correct province capitals, etc.
    • Most post-Sengoku changes have not yet been added, though I have many plans for things such as sakoku, the sword hunt, kakure kirishitans, etc.
    • Possibly, unit changes.

Design Notes:
    • Unification probably won't take you the 120 years it did historically. I consider this to be okay, given EU3's limits. The vast majority of the Sengoku period consisted of local action at a scale that would require a much more detailed map with many more provinces to represent. This mod essentially has to skip all that and jump directly to the situation as it was in the mid-16th Century.
    • I've added a couple ways of having your badboy points reduced during unification, since you're going to be doing a lot of annexing. I wanted the player to be able to unify Japan without having to worry too much about setting off a badboy war with China. These reductions are not available once Japan is unified.
    • I've only played through unification twice, once as the Shimazu and once as the Oda (though I've run many more hands-off games watching the AI). Both were on normal difficulty. What I discovered in those games was that the farther from Kyoto you start, the more difficult your task is likely to be. Also, clans on Honshu have the advantage of being able to increase in size without having to build a navy.
    • I don't know if it's due to the increases to Japan's manpower or the changes I made above, but in none of the games I've played or watched have Ming or Korea conquered any of Japan (though in 1 game one of the Japanese clans did conquer Korea).
    • EU3 wasn't really oriented towards a scenario in which 1 province nations war, so I've had to "fight" it by providing boosts to the daimyo that would be unbalancing if given to other states. These boosts are all removed once Japan is unified/nearly unified.
    • I've never used modifiers, so its possible that some of my events could be made more "elegant" through the use of them. I'll look into it.
    • I have an MA in Japanese History, but my specialty is modern (post-1600) Japan. I've read all I could on this period, but I'm not an expert. Feel free to contact me if you think I've gotten something wrong.
    • Once done, any modder is free to use anything I've created, provided credit is given

Information of Possible Value to Other Modders:
    • added 4 new provinces (1250-1253), renaming the existing provinces (1742-1745)
    • used 56 new tags: AKG, ANG, ASK, ASN, CSK, DTE, HJO, HKW, ICJ, IGW, JAG, JAK, JAN, JAS, JCK, JDT, JHJ, JHK, JIG, JIJ, JMG, JMR, JMY, JNB, JOD, JOT, JOU, JRZ, JSM, JSN, JST, JSZ, JTD, JTG, JTK, JTT, JUG, JYN, MGM, MIY, MRI, NNB, ODA, OTM, OUC, RZJ, SHN, SMZ, STM, STO, TGW, TKD, TKI, TYT, USG, YMN
    • added 19 country flags: christians_expelled, daimyo_conversion, daimyo_conversion_refused, fc_notified, fc_refused, first_contact, first_contactj, house_code, kanpaku, mobilization, onin_war, shogun_puppet, shogunate_destroyed, shugo_dispute, sobujirei, sword_hunt, unification, worsened_relations, yamashiro_taken
    • added 53 events, using codes: 1464-1470, 1481, 1488, 1543-1545, 1567-1570, 1573, 1574, 1585-1588, 1600-1630
    Last edited by Sakura; 23-03-2007 at 23:59.

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest HourEast India Company Collection
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneLeviathan: WarshipsMagickaNaval War: Arctic CirclePirates of Black Cove
    Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisWar of the RosesEU3 Collectors Edition500k club

Last edited by Sakura; 08-02-2007 at 10:41.

I've decided to change the rar to include the map/cache folder, so if anyone happens to try downloading it in the next 3 minutes it'll probably be screwed up

(Interim Avatar)
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome

cool, I will definatly download this. Is it working okay now?
    The Ebony Cross and the Sacred Eagle (Ongoing)
    ---Favorite History-Book AAR, Eu3 (Q2 2008)
    ---Weekly AAR Showcase, 1/13/08
    Charter member of "The Warlord Club"

Awards:
    Fan of the Week: 3/4/07, 4/29/07, 6/18/07, 2/19/08, 4/11/08
    WritAAR of the Week: 5/20/07
    I was canonized! 4/21/07

My ink well thingy...

Quote Originally Posted by rcduggan
    cool, I will definatly download this. Is it working okay now?
    Yeah, everything should be fine now.

Marat, l'Ami du Peuple Nuclear Winter's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Victoria 2

Pray tell me, mr, is this compatible with the moddir thing?
    Farewell to signatures!

Deputy Citizen Commisar Dr. Zoidberg's Avatar
    200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineLegioEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Of course, you release this the day after I start a game as Japan
    Oh I guess I can manage.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuclear Winter
    Pray tell me, mr, is this compatible with the moddir thing?
    Yes it is. And it's all set up to be dropped into your mod folder

EDIT: First bug report!
    Ichijo, Hojo and Date clans are led by "No Leader" in the 1477 start. The next day (of playtime) they get a proper ruler.

EDIT2: Holy friggin' crap. Playing as Hojo, conquered Imagawa and Takeda quite quickly. At war with Toki and Asakura, slaughtering their troops.

But Totomi now has 30,000 rebels in it. It was whacked with an Ikko Ikki revolt (12k), then Gekokujo (22k). I'm just going to let attrition drop them like flies before I try to go back into that province..

Takeda was actually Broken by 10k Ikko Ikki, at one point.

You should think about modding the base fire values for this. It would be much cooler if all of my archery units (that is to say, every unit I have..) would actually do damage in the fire phase. That 3 fire general I have would also be helpful then..

EDIT3: Hahahah, a few game months after the previous edit, the rebel horde has captured Totomi and is now marching on Owari. Hosokawa controls the whole area around there (Settsu, Owari, Yamashiro) and has atleast 10,000 troops sitting in Owari..

EDIT4: Huh. The rebels were victorious in Owari. Interesting! Oh, maybe because Hosokawa has invaded Asakura It will certainly be quite a war when Hosokawa and I fight.

EDIT5: It's 1486 and Castille has colonised Taiwan... Meanwhile, I stomped Hosokawa and control Owari and Yamashiro now.
    Last edited by Dr. Zoidberg; 08-02-2007 at 15:18.
    Hono(u)rary Texan

"As a matter of fact, I swallowed one of these about 3 hours ago. The explanation is, that it is infact, my hand"

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Zoidberg
    Of course, you release this the day after I start a game as Japan
    Oh I guess I can manage.

Yes it is. And it's all set up to be dropped into your mod folder

EDIT: First bug report!
    Ichijo, Hojo and Date clans are led by "No Leader" in the 1477 start. The next day (of playtime) they get a proper ruler.

EDIT2: Holy friggin' crap. Playing as Hojo, conquered Imagawa and Takeda quite quickly. At war with Toki and Asakura, slaughtering their troops.

But Totomi now has 30,000 rebels in it. It was whacked with an Ikko Ikki revolt (12k), then Gekokujo (22k). I'm just going to let attrition drop them like flies before I try to go back into that province..

Takeda was actually Broken by 10k Ikko Ikki, at one point.

You should think about modding the base fire values for this. It would be much cooler if all of my archery units (that is to say, every unit I have..) would actually do damage in the fire phase. That 3 fire general I have would also be helpful then..

EDIT3: Hahahah, a few game months after the previous edit, the rebel horde has captured Totomi and is now marching on Owari. Hosokawa controls the whole area around there (Settsu, Owari, Yamashiro) and has atleast 10,000 troops sitting in Owari..

EDIT4: Huh. The rebels were victorious in Owari. Interesting! Oh, maybe because Hosokawa has invaded Asakura It will certainly be quite a war when Hosokawa and I fight.

EDIT5: It's 1486 and Castille has colonised Taiwan... Meanwhile, I stomped Hosokawa and control Owari and Yamashiro now.
    Thanks for finding that bug. I had given the country files the correct rulers, but forgotten to enter the correct reign dates. Never noticed since there's such a flurry of messages at the beginning of the game.

E2: Wow, I've never gotten hit by Ikko Ikki and Gekokujo back to back. Early on there's a fair amount of broken nations, as the revolts are quite fierce. I kind of like that, as historically the Ikko Ikki were a big deal, taking years to defeat (Nobunaga took 10 years to destroy their stronghold). This means that just like England showing up in Great Britain games, Japan shows up as a revolter quite often. I think I can fix that by removing their cores in the province files, though. The Gekokujo revolts are a bit of a placeholder for the moment. I'm hoping to do something more interesting than just revolts with the idea of rebellious vassals later.

E3,4: The Hosokawa certainly seem the strongest of the starting clans, since they have a vassal, control a CoT, and often take Yamashiro early on. I did once have a hands-off game where the Takeda took over everything except Yamashiro once, though.

E5: Wow! I've never seen a European nation out that early. Someone should get Tanegashima event soon.

Yeah, I'm planning to redo the units. Though I'm afraid that prior to the spread of the arquebus that cavalry ruled the Japanese battlefield

200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineLegioEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Honestly the Ikko Ikki revolts have been the most troublesome events so far. How big should armies be in this time period, ideally? I managed to conquer most of my lands just using around 10,000 troops total, in two stacks. Right now my standing army is 20,000 and the second largest is Hosokowa, at 11,000. But they're my vassal.

Everybody else is around 4,000..

I would say that the Asakura got the Tanegashima event. Their land and naval tech was 5, as opposed to the average of 2 (1 for me!).

It didn't help them very much

Quote Originally Posted by Sakura
    Yeah, I'm planning to redo the units. Though I'm afraid that prior to the spread of the arquebus that cavalry ruled the Japanese battlefield
    All of my cavalry have a fire value as well, so they definitely will rule

EDIT: Ahem. I appear to have triggered BB wars And I hadn't realised I could train some rather.......hightech... units, in Asakura's old province. Sweet.

I seem to be cursing myself. Korea and Manchu just declared war.
    Last edited by Dr. Zoidberg; 08-02-2007 at 16:53.
    Hono(u)rary Texan

"As a matter of fact, I swallowed one of these about 3 hours ago. The explanation is, that it is infact, my hand"

Honestly the Ikko Ikki revolts have been the most troublesome events so far. How big should armies be in this time period, ideally? I managed to conquer most of my lands just using around 10,000 troops total, in two stacks. Right now my standing army is 20,000 and the second largest is Hosokowa, at 11,000. But they're my vassal.

Everybody else is around 4,000.
    Major battles would have 15-30 thousand on each side. The Battle of Sekigahara had 150-200 thousand total, and I've read that at the beginning of the Tokugawa shogunate that the Shogun technically had 500,000 troops that he could call on.

Unfortunately, the EU3 engine just doesn't want to let that happen. Note that I had to give a 300% support limit bonus even to let a province support 10,000 troops There's currently a 150% bonus to tax for feudal daimyo. Maybe 200% would let them field more troops. Definitely I'm still actively tweaking. I used to have each daimyo spawn with 5,000 troops as part of the mobilization event, but found that the AI just disbanded them

Both of my games had the armies about double the sizes you're seeing, though. The AI seemed to be pretty good about buying mercenaries, though.

I would say that the Asakura got the Tanegashima event. Their land and naval tech was 5, as opposed to the average of 2 (1 for me!).

It didn't help them very much

All of my cavalry have a fire value as well, so they definitely will rule
    There should be some more Tanegashima events as more Euro nations discover Japan. Hmm... maybe I should write different versions so that if the Europeans come early there's a bigger a bonus to land tech. Guns are good I think that it was mentioned in the bug forum that the penalization on research based on the number of provinces was going to get toned down in a future patch, which is something I'm very much looking forward to, since I also found that the little clans almost always had a big tech advantage.

EDIT: Ahem. I appear to have triggered BB wars And I hadn't realised I could train some rather.......hightech... units, in Asakura's old province. Sweet.

I seem to be cursing myself. Korea and Manchu just declared war.
    Did you notice that the Gift to the Emperor event reduces your badboy? It's intended to help you prevent that.

EDIT: Also, unifying Japan reduces your badboy by 24, so maybe doing that can knock you back below the threshold.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakura
    Did you notice that the Gift to the Emperor event reduces your badboy? It's intended to help you prevent that.

EDIT: Also, unifying Japan reduces your badboy by 24, so maybe doing that can knock you back below the threshold.
    Oh yes, I've had that event twice in this game so far. Lets just say I've been a little too aggressive

I think I can handle it as long as Korea doesn't dump troops in my land. I'm only fighting the entirety of Japan at the moment. So unification is on its way!

EDIT: Hmm. I appear to be able to recruit generals for free.
    Hono(u)rary Texan

Oh yes, I've had that event twice in this game so far. Lets just say I've been a little too aggressive

I think I can handle it as long as Korea doesn't dump troops in my land. I'm only fighting the entirety of Japan at the moment. So unification is on its way!

EDIT: Hmm. I appear to be able to recruit generals for free.
    Well, let's hope that you have better luck than Hideyoshi.

If so, it's nothing I did. I don't think modders can play around with that

I would guess that it is because the price of generals is in part derived from your income. At the moment I have absolutely no yearly income, and lose 7 per month.

My territory is entirely captured, but I have quite a large army cleaning up. And I just realised I had 73% warscore (I think a lot of that was from one huge battle..), so now I've hired a 6 shock general for free..

Editing next post in so I don't triple post
    Dammit, I was Broken. Lost Aki and Shimotsuke, but I'm going to annex Hosokawa, as I managed to get a province back before they tried to peace. EDIT: %*%@)$@%#*#^) they took the province back and peaced for 3 of my provinces

Anyway, very good mod. And it will only get better
    Last edited by Dr. Zoidberg; 08-02-2007 at 17:35.
    Hono(u)rary Texan

Alright, so, Hosokawa grabbed Yamashiro from me in the forced peace.

Shortly after, I get two popups for the Regaining Kyoto event. I chose the 2nd option for both of them, the first one had no effects listed. The second apparently gives all of the other Daimyos a CB on me. But it also gives 10 prestige!

That's not the really, really weird part. I also had an event that had no name or description, and only one choice that apparently gave me a casus belli on every single country in the game (discovered or not)

The event effect text was so freakin' long it nearly killed the game.

I have a sneaking suspicion I may be finding more bugs stemming from vanilla EU3 than with the actual mod
    Last edited by Dr. Zoidberg; 08-02-2007 at 17:52.
    Hono(u)rary Texan

200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDivine Wind
    For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionPenumbra - Black PlagueEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae Victis

Finally found Jehanne's chastity belt! But can't get the key in.

Shortly after, I get two popups for the Regaining Kyoto event. I chose the 2nd option for both of them, the first one had no effects listed. The second apparently gives all of the other Daimyos a CB on me. But it also gives 10 prestige!

That's not the really, really weird part. I also had an event that had no name or description, and only one choice that apparently gave me a casus belli on every single country in the game (discovered or not)

I have a sneaking suspicion I may be finding more bugs stemming from vanilla EU3 than with the actual mod
    gah, you got there ahead of me...

Ayeshteni
    "I Have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road." - Stephan Hawkings

Owner of a Golden Phoenix cookie! Extremely Proud owner of a BiB cookie! I also have a very special Johan cookie as well
    Owner of 7 2Coaties
    "Why not? The primary causes for union are, thankfully, long gone. So why are we hanging on to it? For the sake of sentimentality? An uncertain economic argument that's easily dismissed? Nah. Go forth, Scots. All power to your elbow. You'll take the oil and we'll take the nukes, and we'll be in Brussels afore ye. And so on." - Rabid Bogling

Okay, getting the 2nd event popup means that the mtth is too short and it fired again before you made your choice the first time. I don't remember exactly what the first choice in the Regaining Kyoto event (don't have access to the files now) is, but it definitely reinstates the puppet shogun flag (though I guess that wouldn't be apparent to the player). The 2nd choice means that you're destroying the Ashikaga Shogunate and dispensing with the puppet shogun.

! I have no idea what that could be. There's an event that gives you CBs on all the other daimyo, but last I looked it was working correctly and I don't think I've touched it since. It should be easy to find out what event is causing that, though, since you said that it didn't have any event text.

This mod looks really cool, its definetly something I'll be downloading and adding to the moddir that I generaly use. Have you considered using relatively common events that vastly increase revolt risk in a province or immediately cede provinces to create new nations as a way to represent the fact that daiymos came and went and could be born into it or rise to the status. If you really had to fight to keep order within your realm as well as conquering without, that would slow down the conquest and also allow for a greater representation of the instability of the period. Just my 2 cents though, I don't have anywhere near an MA or even a major in Japanese history so I could be way out of line here.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast