• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

louisxiiilouvrewq3.jpg

26th of April 1625
Louvre, Paris, France

Jean was standing still. The Baron was right next to him and on his other side stood Charles and Francois. Charles still had a problem walking because of his wound and Jean still suffered a little from the cut in his leg, but other than that they did pretty well.

Now they were waiting for the King to arrive. They had been given an order to be in the King’s chamber at ten and now it was two minutes past ten, the men all stood there waiting. Then suddenly the doors were opened and a man announced the entrance of the King. The King looked very different than yesterday. Now he wasn’t wearing a cloak, instead he was wearing wonderful clothes in dark red and purple, what would be considered the latest fashion.

Moving into the room the King nods to the men while they bow deep and then he walks to his throne and sits down and smiles.

”Baron de Coligny. We are glad to see you and your men again. We offer you all Our deepest thanks for saving Our life yesterday. We trust you will all continue serving us well.”

”We only did our duty Your Majesty. And Your Majesty can trust my men they are loyal and will always serve Your Majesty!”

”We are glad to hear that.

Young de Nogaret step forward.”

Slowly Jean steps forward and halts in front of the throne and bows deep to the King. The King smiles and uses his hand to signal that Jean can stop bowing.

”We hope you are doing well? The wound aren’t hurting much? We would like to thank you especially for your great work last night. We shall not forget you.

Here take this…”

Jean can only nod when the King asks him questions before he his given a pouch filled with coins.

“I did only my duty Your Majesty, and I am honoured by these gifts. However I am not sure if I can accept Your Majesty, I did only do my duty…”

”We want you to accept. We are glad to hear that you only consider it your duty, but this is how We would like to thank you…

Also We understand that being a soldier isn’t always cheap so We think those extra coins will do well. Especially as you will soon need some new equipment…

Oh and there is one more thinking… Jean de Nogaret we promote you to lieutenant in Our Royal army. You will continue in the company of the Baron as his second in command, of course this new positions mean that you will earn more so use the money well young man.”

“What can I say Your Majesty. I am deeply honoured, but..”

”No, buts. This is Our Royal command and We want it to happen.

Baron de Coligny you lost your last lieutenant in Gascony didn’t you? We think you will accept and enjoy having the young de Nogaret as your second in command.”

”Indeed Your Majesty. He died in battle for Your Majesty and he hasn’t yet been replaced, this was something I had hoped to ask Your Majesty about… I am very pleased by Your Majesty’s decisions and I will make sure young de Nogaret understands his duties.”

”Good. Then we have agreed.

Once again men thank you, know that We shall never forget what you have done to save Our life!”

Signalling that the audience has ended the men slowly moves backwards, bows once again to the King and leaves the room. When they are on the outside the two others congratulate Jean and the Baron smiles.

Well young Jean it seems like you have managed to get on the King’s good side. Now that is good news, lieutenant already. Well that of course means you are my second in command so I hope you will do well in keeping the company in shape and ready for battle?”

“Of course, sir.”

”Good. Now I think we should enjoy some of the King’s money don’t you agree…

I think Jean is buying the wine.”

“Sounds like a good plan, monsieur Baron!”

Rising quickly, I see. I was surprised that it was the King. I'd almost forgotten about him. Nice use of the royal we as well. So I presume they go and have a few drinks now with their purse full. ;)

Jean is indeed ascending rather quickly. Remind me... is he of noble blood? If so that may smooth over any potential awkwardness that is certain to arise when his interest in the princess becomes known. Even so, it could certainly cause him to lose favor with His Majesty.

Thank you - the new blue is far more legible.

And quite a nice reward for our intrepid hero.

coz1 God to hear that I managed to surprise you. I think it was about time to get the king in the story also. I think it is safe to say that some drinks are next.
Also thanks for the award, I am very honoured

J. Passepartout Moving up in the world is important and good, and no better way to do it than to save the king’s life

kingmbutu Yes, he is the son of a lesser noble from Southern- France. Well she is not a princess, so I don’t think it will be that much trouble, but you never know…

stnylan Good to hear it is easier to read now. I hope he will continue like this

All First of all I would like to say thank you very much to coz1 for handing me the best character writer of the week award, I am very honoured. Thanks :)

Also since it has been some time since we last saw our good and dangerous friend I think it is time to see what is going on away from Jean.
I am working on the next update now, should have it posted within the next hour or two….

I wonder what the Cardinal is going to think of all this?

Joe

Storey said:
I wonder what the Cardinal is going to think of all this?

Joe
Well I am guessing that he wouldn’t want to see the King killed that would give the Cardinal some trouble as well. Remember that the Cardinal might be strong and powerful, but in the end the King is the King, and he is King by the Grace of God so the Cardinal needs the King alive if he is to be able to continue to govern… So in the end I think Richelieu will understand that this is actually good :)

Ok, next update is coming up right next…

the20bastilleoy6.jpg

30th of April 1625
Paris, France

The night was dark. There was no moon on the sky, only dark clouds and this made the streets of Paris dark and black. Most Parisian people had stopped using the streets many hours ago, and only bad people were out in the streets at night.

The four men walked around the corner, they were all dressed in dark cloaks, but people that knew the Captain of the Cardinal’s guard, de Rousselet, would have no trouble recognizing him. Behind him came a dark figure, his entire body covered by his large black cloak even his head was hidden and he had made sure that his face was not visible unless he pulled the cloak back. Some meters behind the two came two more guards; they were also wearing dark cloaks. They walked slowly towards the large stone fortress. In the dark it looked scary and large and not a sound could be heard from the inside.

The dark figure signalled to de Rousselet and the captain knocked heavy on the gates three times. After a minute a tired guard opened the hatch and stared right into the face of the captain.

“Open the gates. We are here on the Cardinal’s orders…”

Seeing the captain, a well known visitor in the Bastille and hearing the Cardinal’s name the guard slowly opened the gate, and he is quickly brushed away by de Rousselet. The four men enter and as they walk towards the commandant’s house they can hear the large wooden gates close behind them.

Leaving the two guards on the outside de Rousselet and the dark figure enters the commandant’s house. The commandant had obviously been sleeping and as de Rousselet enters he is not fully awaken and welcomes them in a sleepy and annoyed voice.

”What is this… what is the meaning of disturbing me this time of night?”

“My dear commandant, I am sure you know why we are disturbing you…”

”Captain de Rousselet, sir. I was not informed that it was you… What can I do for you tonight?”

“We need to see the prisoners… And don’t tell me you have this place filled with prisoners; you know who we want to see…”

”The royal assassins…”

De Rousselet just nodded and signalled for the commandant to lead the way. Leaving the house they return to the courtyard and de Rousselet quickly tells the guards to stay while he and the figure in the dark cloak go with the commandant.

Down a hallway, passing cells and guards the commandant takes them before he halts in front of two cells.

”I am actually not allowed to let them have any visitor… the King’s orders.”

“We all know who is the real power in France commandant, and I don’t think you would like a conflict with the Cardinal, would you? The Cardinal wants for this man to be allowed to talk to the prisoners alone…”

Swallowing several times the commandant looks at the man in the dark cloak and then he nods to de Rousselet.

”I can’t give you more than thirty minutes…”

“That will be more than enough…”

The commandant opens the cell and the two men enter. The commandant stands at the outside for some moments, but receiving an angry look from De Rousselet he soon walks away.

Inside the cell it is all dark, but de Rousselet lights a torch. The flames light the cell and they can see a filthy, dirty man sitting in the corner chained to the wall. The man in the dark cloak walks slowly towards him. Standing just in front of him he lifts is face allowing a small beam of light to shine on his eyes.

”Who are you working for?”

”Who are you… Why should I tell you that?”

”I am a friend. I can forgive your sins…”

“I told the bloody guards I don’t want a priest, bloody Catholics don’t understand anything do they…

”Still my son wouldn’t it be good to confess your sins before you walk to the gallows? Tell me and I can promise you Gods forgiveness…”

“I told you. I don’t need forgives what I did, I did for God and his rightful believers.”

Angered by the man’s reluctant to answer the cloaked man points towards de Rousselet and using one finger makes him disappear. Then he pulls back the cloak showing his entire head with the small red hat.

”Do you still wonder who am I…”

The prisoner was shocked and couldn’t help but let out a scream of horror.

“Cardinal Richelieu!”

”I will find out who you are working for, one way or another… I am sorry we couldn’t solve this in a nice way, now I am forced to leave the business to de Rousselet.

I can promise you one thing, you are going to wish that you are dead long before he finishes with you… or you can tell me who you are working for.”

The Cardinal had locked his eyes into the other man’s eyes, sending out the look that was said to be able to kill a man. Just standing there for minutes the Cardinal just looks at the man as if he is staring deep into his sole and stealing his deepest secrets. Shocked by both the look and the identity of the visitor the prisoner soon falls to the floor trying to hide his face.

”I will ask you one more time… what is the name of the man you are working for?”

“I will never betray him and our people. You Catholic monster, I am a follower of Jean Calvin and I will never betray my people… never…never…”

”You leave my no choice! I hope you will meet Rohan and Calvin again in hell because that is where you are all going.”

Shocked by the name the Cardinal has mentioned the man just stands there with his mouth open, staring at the Cardinal, and then he screams.

Not noticing the man Richelieu pulls his cloak around him and once more hides his face before he walks out of the cell. On the outside de Rousselet is waiting with the two guards. With a short nod the Cardinal send them into the cell.

” De Rousselet, if he doesn’t tell you give the other one the same treatment…

Oh and de Rousselet don’t kill them, we wouldn’t want to steal the entire show from the citizens of Paris, leave some life in them so that they can walk to the gallows tomorrow!”

“Of course Your Eminence.”

Just minutes after the three men has entered the cell screams of pain can be heard from the inside. Not just the screams of a prisoner, but the screams of a man in horror suffering great pain.

On the outside the Cardinal is standing and waiting, it was just a matter of time. There had never been anyone that hadn’t told de Rousselet what he wanted to know.

On the inside the screams are growing in force more and more until a name is heard.

“Rohan, the Duke of Rohan…”

Inside the cloak the Cardinal smiles, no one were able to keep a secret when the Cardinal wanted them to talk.

I think Cardinal Richelieu is going to the same place as Calvin.

I am not sure if Rohan will en up as a good guy fighting the Cardinal or a bad guy continuing to fight the king. Assassination attempt vs enemy of Richelieu... which hatred is stronger...?

The Cardinal certainly has no problem reminding people of the tortures of hell in order to get what he wants. By the by have you tried this color of red? It seems a bit softer on the eyes than this

Living up to his reputation isn't he. Well, that is to be expected I suppose. He's made it, he might as well use it.

This is really a great aar (My Favorite EU3 AAR) Hmm that last part reminded me of Lord of the Rings.

J. Passepartout He he yes I guess you might say that he might be going to hell also, but he is a Cardinal after all so I am guessing he thinks he has a direct line to heaven…

As for the future of the Duke of Rohan, well who knows? For those who aren’t very into the history of France I will sum it up for you. The Duke of Rohan was the leader of the Huguenot rebellion launched against Cardinal Richelieu and Louis XIII, quit a coincidence don’t you think ;)

kingmbutu Thanks for the suggestion, I will test the red colour next time… The cardinal is a man of the church after all and we all know they are experts on what happens when you are going to hell…

kingmbutu One has to live up to once reputation I think, also as you say when you have the power, you might as well use it :)

Deamon Thank you very much, also nice to see a new reader enjoying the story. I will consider that as a compliment as I consider Lord of the Rings to be a very nice book and story

AllThank you for all your compliments and continued support. As you see the Cardinal can be a hard man if necessary, and in cases like this I think he feels it is necessary to do all that is necessary as long as he gets what he wants from it.

Now I am working on the next update, and I hope to have it posted tonight within an hour or two... :)

palaiscardinal2di6.jpg

1st May 1625
Paris, France

The Cardinal was walking back and forth in the chamber, back and forth while halting for a second before he continued to walk. He then halted and looked out the window, there were few people on the outside now, but the Cardinal thought back on the early hours when the two assassins had been hanged. Richelieu hadn’t agreed with the King’s insistence on executing them already, having wanted to allow for his men to work even more with the two men Richelieu felt confident that even more information could be extracted, but in the end he had got the information he needed last night so it wasn’t that large a trouble.

As he heard a knock on the secret door in the wall the Cardinal turned around and walked to open the door. The man that walked out is dressed in dark robes and nods to the Cardinal, and then he pulls his hood back.

”Now what have you discovered?”

”I have the map Your Eminence… It is even worse than you Eminence had feared.”

”So the Duke has managed to get even more friends and followers than we had feared… What are the local authorities doing?”

”As far as we could discover Your Eminence nothing.”

”And what about the Duke? I am using you because you are the best; normally you would have taken care off the problem by now… you have had three weeks.”

”I am sorry Your Eminence, but getting close to the Duke is much more difficult than I had ever though…”

”I hope you remember what will happen if you fail… you will find a way!”

”Y... Y…You don’t have to remind me Your Eminence…. I…I will find a way.”

”Splendid….

And what of our English friend, how is he doing?”

”Nothing much Your Eminence… It seems like Buckingham is enjoying his days in Paris. There are already rumours about several of the Queens chambermaids some even speak of Her Majesty herself… But I am sure Your Eminence knows about that.

I am guessing the rumours about his secretary will make Your Eminence more interested.

The night of the attack in Louvre, the secretary was present together with the guards… and I have it from my man at the scene that after everyone had left the secretary found a note, possibly form one of the assassin on the floor and according to my man he brought it back to the Duke… I think it is safe to say Buckingham found the news about the Duke of Rohan very interesting.

”I am sure you are already working on getting your hands on that note…

Now hand me the map and leave, I will not see you here again before you have the note… or the Duke’s head.”

As the man bowed and once more hid his head in the cloak he turned around and walked out through the secret door. Richelieu rubbed his hand, the Cardinal was enjoying this situation he was enjoying it a lot.

The he turned to the map he had been given. The entire west coast had been filled by the Heretics.

francereligionck1.png

Letting out a heavy breath the Cardinal put the map down on his desk.

”Well Rohan you might have been able to get followers… But you shall know that the Cardinal has even more followers. This is turning out just as planned… just as planned indeed, soon it is time. Soon the Duke will be dead….”

It's interesting watching the two sides of the religious divide in machinations against one another and even though the Cardinal's reputation is quite tainted, he is after all fending for his own side just as much as the Duke of Rohan is.

Of which, by the way, we haven't heard much about till recently.

You are doing a great job keeping me suspended and wondering what's coming up next - keep it up! :)

And thanks!

Ah, I have been away for far too long. So much to catch up on!

And so, of course, looking at the pages of EU3 AARs out there, I just had to zero in on that of one of my old EUI comrades. And I have not been disappointed! Great AAR you've got going here, Lord E. I shall be following along. :)

The Cardinal reminds me of an eel. He lurks, waiting for his prey to become bold, waiting for his prey to come into the open, and then...

As for Buckingham, well, the more he pretends or is reported to be a gadfly, the more I am sure he is not. I wonder just how many secrets he has learned from those chambermaids?

Well, the Cardinal sure does have quite a lot of heretics to deal with. But I am sure he is up to the task. Especially if he has de Rousselet around to assist.