• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Lord E: ...He had killed his first man..

i reckon that we don't have to wonder any longer when Jean kills his first man. ;)

Lord E: ...“Monsieur that was very close…”

too close ! ! :)

Lord E:
...“What of the guards we killed on the backside?”..”Yes… well it was them or us. I guess they will blame it on some Huguenots.”..

and, de Rousselet will know that someone has the letter ! ! :D

Lord E:
...They had survived.

good thing, too ! ! ;)

magnificent update ! ! :cool:

lastly, it is decision time.

so, do our heroes open the letter, or take it to La Rochelle ? ? :rolleyes:

obviously, if the letter is opened it is of no use to La Rochelle... ;)

stnylan Yes, I think we can all agree it was too close. Let us hope they have learned a little and will indeed bring more men next time…

J. Passepartout I think it might be very bad if anyone still alive knew of them being alive and that they have the letter…

GhostWriter Yes, I think it was about time that he grew up and got really into the life of the warriors…
Indeed, the cardinal will understand that someone might have the letter, but for now I think that they can only hope that they will think that is was destroyed in the fire… Also with all those dead soldiers it might be that de Rousselet has other things to consider than the letter at the moment.
As for the letter I guess opening it would be the most sensible, this letter is too dangerous it seems, it should be opened, read and then destroyed…

kingmbutu Yes, I was also considering if I made him to naive and trusting, but well that was how it turned out, and although you could say he was too trusting, I guess he thought that as they had the letter and knew about his contact they were probably reliable…

All I am working on one last update in Bordeaux for now. After I got that posted I think it is time to travel a little and then see what other people think about all this, but that will have to wait for tomorrow.

Should have the next update posted within the hour…

What happened to the Baron's son? I thought he was only shot in the shoulder. Surely they would not just leave him there to be captured or killed.

Otherwise, a strong fight and already we see Jean taking to his new role.

coz1 said:
What happened to the Baron's son? I thought he was only shot in the shoulder. Surely they would not just leave him there to be captured or killed.

Otherwise, a strong fight and already we see Jean taking to his new role.
Actually that was not the Baron’s son, but Dufour’s son, sorry if it was a little unclear. Dufour’s son was only shot in the shoulder, but I think him and his father fought to death with the cardinal’s soldiers…

Jean is growing by the day I think, and certainly learning a lot in his new role, and if he is to survive I think that is necessary and good.

Ahh, OK. I admit, I did get a little confused what with all the action going on. Makes me feel better about this Baron now. ;)

coz1 said:
Ahh, OK. I admit, I did get a little confused what with all the action going on. Makes me feel better about this Baron now. ;)
Yes, I guess it might have been a little easy to get confused with all the action. So no problem for the Baron, he has lost no one in this action…

Next update is ready and will be posted in a minute.

braunhogenbergbourdeauxsw2.jpg

8th of April 1625
Bordeaux, France

Jean could hear that they were still talking on the inside, the voices were very loud and he could hear that they were obviously quarrelling about something. Seconds later the door bursts up and the captain of the local defence troops bursts out of the room. As the door is open Jean casts a look into the room and his eyes can see that the Baron is still there, so is the other royal commander, monsieur Tremoille and the leading men of Bordeaux, but Jean could see that they weren’t very happy about the situation either.

Jean could imagine why.

On their way to the town hall the Baron had informed Jean that Dufour had been a very respected, honoured and powerful man in the city, and the murder of him and his family and the torching of their house was something the local authorities disliked a lot. The Baron had told Jean that it was best not to tell anyone that he had actually been the one responsible for setting fire to the house. When they had arrived at the town hall the local authorities had already been there with their defence commander, the man who had just left the room, and some minutes after the Baron, Jean and two more of the baron’s men called Francois and Jacques had arrived also this other commander Tremoille arrived with his staff. It was obvious to Jean that the Baron and Tremoille were old friends because they greeted each other very friendly and both men were also very friendly and nice to the other’s men.

The Baron had whispered to Jean just before they entered that he and Tremoille had fought together many times and that they had both served in the same company for years. Now they had both got their own company to command and had been sent to Southern-France to try to take back control of the area and especially the roads, and kill or capture all thieves and outlaws in the area. Lowering his voice even more the Baron whispered that soon that might also include Huguenots, it was rumoured that the Cardinal was about to start a full war against them soon. But first they had all arrived at the town hall to talk about that the city was unsafe and the murder of Dufour.

Although he had been sitting in the front room with the other soldiers Jean had been able to hear everything going on inside the room. The doors of the town hall in Bordeaux weren’t thick and all the men on the outside had been able to hear everything on the inside. It turned out that the local defence commander had been a personal friend of Dufour and he was very angry at the two army commander and said he blamed them personally for the murder. When Tremoille several times had answered that it had happened inside the city and that obviously it was the local commander’s responsibility to keep the city secure the man had gotten more and more angry and in the end he had ran out of the room. They had also been able to hear that the leaders of the city admit to the two army commanders that Dufour had indeed been a Huguenot, but they didn’t see why he should be killed because of that. It was then the Baron had said that maybe the Cardinal thought that was reason enough to kill him, this had shocked the men of Bordeaux and because of it they had started shouting and screaming that the royal forces was just a joke and that they were terrible at keeping order.

Second later also the Baron and Tremoille left the room

”Men we are leaving. It seems like the men of Bordeaux thinks they are so much better than officers of His Majesty’s army…”

Marching out of the room the two officers walked first and then their men followed them. On the outside they said their goodbyes and then Tremoille walked one way with his men while the Baron, Jean and the two others walked back towards the house were the rest of the men were camped. Just as they were about to enter the house the Baron signalled to Jean to go to the stables on the side of the house and meet the Baron there.

After waiting for five minutes Jean saw the Baron arrive in the stables.

”We are leaving Bordeaux Jean. It is time to return to patrolling the roads and countryside… it is obvious that de Rousslet has already left the city so there is little we can do here. But there is one last thing we need to do.

Have you still got the letter?”

“Yes, monsieur… Do you think we should read it?”

”Yes, we are in no position to leave our posting here, and you saw how dangerous it was last night. We can’t possible keep this letter much longer; it must be read and then destroyed…”

Jean pulled forward the letter from the inside of his cloak and slowly he opened the letter, folding it out and then they both sat down to read it.

Unto our brothers in faith

We hope this letter find you well. Know that Our friendship is always yours, and that We always think of Our brothers.

We are however sad to inform Our brothers in faith that We are unable to fulfil your requests. Our situation is hard; We find Us still hurting form the campaign in the Palatinate and still in conflict with the Spanish, therefore We are unable to aid Our brothers at this time.

But never lose faith, Our brothers should always know that We have great hopes for Our New Majesty, and We are sure that His Majesty will hear Our words about the troubles and pain Our brothers are living in. Never let hope go away, in time We shall arrive. Look to the north when the morning sun rises and We know that one day We shall arrive with the sun.

Our Majesty sends his most warm and noble greetings to His Majesty’s brothers in faith, and know that We shall soon arrive in France in person and by then We have hope to convince those who needs convincing of your noble cause.

B

”I didn’t learn much from that, monsieur…”

”No, Jean neither did I. But from what I can understand it seems like Buckingham aren’t planning to start a war with France or to aid the Huguenots at the moment, but who knows what happens when the Cardinal starts his war.”

“When?”

”Yes, Tremoille has received a letter from his uncle in Paris. The Cardinal is prepared to launch his personal campaign any day now…

Time to destroy this dangerous letter… Oh what a terrible faith to know that so many have died for so little”

“I guess the only think we really learned was that the Duke is coming to France.”

”Yes, I wonder why…”

Quickly grabbing the letter the Jean walks over to the closest torch in the stable and puts the letter into the fire and then both of them watch as the letter burned and was turned into ash.

”Well Jean you better prepare… we are leaving Bordeaux in the morning…”

Mmm, sounds like they need to keep their ears keen and their eyes sharp. Far too much going on, far too much going on outside the edge of our perceptions. Whatever move the Cardinal is making, it is safe to assume it will be well thought out.

Lord E: ...”..Time to destroy this dangerous letter… Oh what a terrible faith to know that so many have died for so little”

not to mention that the Duke's message service to La Rochelle is destroyed ! ! :rolleyes:

Lord E: ...“I guess the only thing we really learned was that the Duke is coming to France.”

aye, but when does the Duke arrive in France ? ? :)

Lord E: ...Quickly grabbing the letter the Jean walks over to the closest torch in the stable and puts the letter into the fire and then both of them watch as the letter burns and is turned to ash.

well, at least the Cardinal has no chance to know the contents of the letter ! ! :D

Lord E: ...”Well Jean you better prepare… we are leaving Bordeaux in the morning…”

aye, time to take down some more highwaymen (robbers and such) ! ! ;)

magnificent update ! !
:cool:

That language of "convincing those who need convincing" sounds rather like a threat of violence to come.

Yes, we need to know when the Duke will arrive

stnylan Yes, it seems like there is a lot going on, so I also think they need to stay sharp and at the ready. As for everyone’s favourite Cardinal he is already planning more moves.

J. Passepartout Yes, that would be smart… An old friend of ours will tell more about the Duke’s visit next

GhostWriter Thanks :)
Yes, the Duke’s messenger service is destroyed, but as you shall soon see the Duke have other things to care about right now.
As the Cardinal not knowing I will give you a short sentence from the next update:

”The Cardinals knows all and sees all de Rousslet, you should know that.

kingmbutu That might indeed be a threat yes. More about the Duke’s visit is coming next

All There is a lot going on right now. But as we leave the action behind we return to Paris and visit everyone’s favourite Cardinal, and we get to know more about the Duke and his visit.
I am finishing it now, should have it posted within the next 15 minutes.

palaiscardinal2di6.jpg

10th of April 1625
Paris, France

The Cardinal watched the report very carefully. Then he turned around and eyed the other man in the room. Dressed in grey the old monk lived up to his name, although the name the Grey Eminence wasn’t something Father Joseph du Tremblay had received only because of the way he dressed, but more by the role he played. As a secret man behind the Cardinal, the grey eminence was a man living and acting in secret, but one who the Cardinal trusted and had confidence in. He had supported Richelieu for years and been his close friend and aid, even during the times when the Cardinal had been out of favour at the court. Now the Father was used a lot by the Cardinal for diplomacy and information.

”I see you are unable to decide, my son… The words are already out; I think you can do nothing to stop all this…”

”Damn him. We have been outmanoeuvred Joseph. This Englishman has tricked us, and now he has outmanoeuvred us as well. I didn’t think the King would accept it this quickly…!”

To clearly state his mood the Cardinal slams his hand into the desk. Then he stands still for a minute, and slowly turns around to face the Father again. Now his eyes have changed from the killing look of anger into a cunning, wise look.

”Armand, you can’t trick me. I know that look. You have an idea…”

”Yes, Father. We can’t stop the Englishman from arriving, neither can we deny his King’s request, not that I care too much. It will be well to get her out of the way...

No, we can’t stop him. But mark my words Father he will not enjoy France, he will not enjoy it at all.”

”You will allow him to arrive and leave with the princess?”

”Yes… yes his King can have Henriette-Marie de Bourbon; she is of no interest to me. Also His Majesty wants good relations with the English.

”His Majesty… I know you better Armand…. Something to do with the heretics I suppose.”

”You are a wise old man Father Joseph… He He

It is impossible to trick you…. Yes, I think that now when we start the campaign against the heretics it would be good to have the English on our good side. Although I don’t much care for the one the English are sending…”

”They say the Duke is very handsome. Some even talk of him as England’s Richelieu.

Having personally heard from people that have visited the Duke I can agree that he is lucky with the ladies, but as for him being England’s Richelieu… no, there is only one.”

”Indeed, there is only one ….”

A knock on the door halts the two men. The Cardinal nods to the old monk and Father Joseph leaves the office. Quickly pulling a leaver a secret door in the wall opens and seconds later the monk is gone.

”Enter…”

“Your Eminence… They business in Bordeaux didn’t go very well.”

”I am aware of that de Rousslet. It didn’t go very well, but I suppose it will please you to hear that your two old friends down there are actually getting a lot of trouble with the locals in this matter. I hear they have both left the city…

And how is your wound doing?”

Clutching his shoulder de Rousslet smiles. Dufour hadn’t been a good fencer; although he had managed to inflict a wound on de Rousslet it was not something that gave the captain much trouble.

“It is only a flesh wound Your Eminence. I thank the Lord that the Heretics are such bad fighters. But we didn’t get the letter as requested I am afraid...”

”I am aware of it de Rousslet, I am aware of it…

But it is no longer of any matter, the King has accepted Charles’s offer to marry His Majesty’s sister. The Duke is coming in person to work out the details and take her back to London.

Also...

I know the contents of the letter so it doesn’t matters; the Duke is not aiding them at this time…”

“What?”

”The Cardinals knows all and sees all de Rousslet, you should know that.

He is not to be trusted of course, but he is here as a guest of His Majesty and we will not show that we know about his correspondence with the heretics.”

“Your Eminence will allow for the Duke to come here, but he is working with our enemies!”

” De Rousslet he was planning to work with them…Planning, is the important word. You do well in remembering that…

Oh and de Rousslet make sure to keep the Duke under surveillance during his entire visit, we wouldn’t want him to do something stupid.”

“Of course Your Eminence.”

Signalling that he had said all he wanted to say, the Cardinals sends his captain out. De Rousslet smiles when he leaves, for a second he had thought the Cardinal had gone soft, but he should have known better. If it was one thing the captain knew it was that the Duke wouldn’t enjoy his stay in France.

Mmm, the Cardinal grows more dangerous. What a shame he is served by such blunt tools as De Rousslet

Lord E: ...”.. I know the contents of the letter so it doesn’t matter; the Duke is not aiding them at this time…”

cool ! ! :)

Lord E:
...”..Oh and de Rousslet make sure to keep the Duke under surveillance during his entire visit, we wouldn’t want him to do something stupid.”

stupid ? ? stupid ? ? you mean, like contacting an agent in France ? ? :D

magnificent update ! !
:cool:

Hmmm...interesting events. That letter was telling to be sure. But is Buckingham coming with troops, or alone? Alone, I don't see that he can do much, especially with the Cardinal seeing and kowing all. But if he brought some help...

So we know what the cardinal knows but what does Buckingham know? Something tells me the intrigue is going to get a bit deeper. ;)

Joe