• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Would the Cardinal wish, however, for a less cautious gate-guard? A man willing to let just anyone in during twilight or the night hours? The man should deserve some credit for sticking to his guns - and for knowing when to fold.

The Cardinal certainly loves to use his power. Even bullying a gate guard gives him satisfaction. :mad: Now why is he there?

Joe

Lord E: ...The thick fog and the heavy rain....“Open the gate!”

potentially, the makings for a disaster... not here, but down the road...

the Cardinal approaches from four directions in poor weather and with no unit standards visible... something the Huguenots could take advantage of...

Lord E: ...Suddenly a different voice was heard from the outside. A voice that Jean knew he would recognize anywhere in the world. This was the signal, it was time to open the gate. “Young gate commander…”..As he rode through the gate the Cardinal was smiling, he had been correct in his assumptions. He would dine in Lyon by nightfall.

aye, dine in Lyon and at the Kings expense ! ! :rofl:

so, today the Cardinal dines at the Kings expense and tomorrow ? ? does the Duke of Rohan dine at the Kings expense in the future ? ? :rofl: :rofl:

hmmm. after this, it would be appropriate that the King is captured by the Duke of Rohan and agree to recognize the Huguenots as loyal French subjects...

magnificent updates ! ! :cool:

stnylan Oh I think the Cardinal will agree with you there,, caution is always good and so is knowing when to give up… so I think the Cardinal is satisfied with the guard’s job, but I still think he enjoyed scaring them a lot…

J. Passepartout Oh no I don’t think he would so something as silly as to order the Royal Army to attack the King…

Storey Isn’t that why one have got power to use it… the Cardinal certainly seems to think so ;)

GhostWriter The Cardinal didn’t it this way to use some power and test the defences… I think we can all agree that he enjoys this kind of things, using his power and showing off ;)
What will happen with Rohan, time will show… but we are in October now so not much left of the campaign season I am afraid…

All Another busy week has passed by with very little time online, but now it is weekend and I am writing on a new update for you all. I will have it posted within the next couple of hours. The next week might be a little less busy so if we are lucky you might see a couple of more updates next week than you have seen the last couple of weeks…

stagecoachwx1.gif

15 October 1625

Near the Spanish- French border, Southern-France

The carriage was racing through the woods. The driver was beating the horses and screaming to make them go even faster and faster. Racing at a very high speed the carriage was dusty and filled with mud and for the two passengers inside the journey was not a very nice experience, but as they looked out through the window in the carriage and could see the ten riders chasing the carriage from behind, they didn’t say anything to the driver about the bumpy ride. This was not a question of comfort, but a question of surviving.

The horsemen were getting closer and closer to the carriage by every minute. The men had fresh horses while the four horses pulling the carriage had already been working for three horses when the riders had suddenly attacked the wagon ten minutes earlier. Suddenly they had appeared out of the woods and started to chase the carriage. For the passengers in the carriage all they could do was hope that they would reach the border before they were captured.

For the men on horses the chase seem to be an easy one, the carriage was slowing down although the driver did his best with the tired horses there was only a question of time before they could overtake the wagon. Firing a shot against the driver with his pistol their leader signalled for the riders to try to take control of the wagon. The driver got lucky and wasn’t hit, but the second shot was better aimed and hit him in his left arm causing him to lose control of the horses.

Now one of the horsemen came up next to the injured driver and with a quick stab with his sword he made sure the driver would do nothing more in this life. Kicking his horse once more he move a little more forward to grab the leading horse and try to get it to slow down. On the first try he was unable to get hold of the horse, but on the second attempt he managed to get hold of one of the ropes and he started screaming and pulling the rope to get the horses to slow down. The tired horses were only happy to follow the orders and after another 100 meters had been crossed the carriage and the horses came to halt. The other horsemen had surrounded the carriage and they leader nodded to five of them to take control of the passengers. From inside the wagon screams could he heard, but the man didn’t notice he only turned around and stood watching towards Spain. Had the carriage been able to keep going for another 10 minutes they would have crossed the border.

”They are making a lot of resistance my lord… Especially the woman is very unwilling to follow orders.”

“You have your order lieutenant, find the letter…”

”But what about the passengers?

“Make it look like a robbery, they are of no use alive… but first bring them to me!”

While some of the men were searching the carriage the two passengers a man and a woman was dragged in front of the leader of the riders. The man didn’t offer much resistance, but the woman was screaming and kicking and tried several times to get out of the firm arms of the two men who were carrying her.

“We can do this easy… you have something that I want…”

”What do you mean monsieur… me and my wife are travelling peacefully, we have nothing of interest to outlaws and thieves.”

“As I am sure you will know monsieur I am not a very patient man. I will only ask you one more time, where is the letter?”

”I don’t know about any letter monsieur… And I am afraid I don’t know monsieur either so I can’t possible know about monsieur’s reputation. “

Before the man could do anything to defend himself the leader had taken forward his sword and stabbed it right through the man’s chest. He fell to the ground dead.

“I really hate annoying people… Lieutenant search him, he probably has the letter hidden in his clothes, then put his body back inside the carriage… Make it look like a robbery…

Now Madame is you are a much smarter person than this idiot who claims to be your husband… I also know that you recognize me…. I can see it in your eyes, the hatred and the fear… I love that sight, afraid people are my speciality…”

”You monster! I know you will rot in hell Captain De Rousselet!”

While screaming to the captain the woman also spit him in the face, reacting instinctively the Captain slapped her hard with his left hand causing her to fell to the ground with a bleeding nose.

“Madame that was not a very wise move, but from such a beautiful woman as yourself I can accept it. You are fierce… fierce indeed… I like that.

It would be a shame to kill you, but those are my orders… I am sure Her Majesty will regret sending you to her bastard brother….”

”Excuse me my lord, we can’t find the letter on the man or in the carriage…”

“What? Have you searched everywhere? I don’t care what you have to do, strip him of his clothes and strip the carriage completely… the letter is here somewhere, and you will find it or else!”

”Y….Y… Yes my lord….”

“Good lieutenant, don’t let me down again…

Now Madame as you can see we are having some trouble with finding the letter, as I am sure Madame knows where it is it would be very wise of you to help us”

”Never… never… you monster, you filthy bastard you son of a wh…”

Reacting again De Rousselet hit her hard in the face causing the woman to pass out.

“Bloody woman… just as stubborn as the fool of a Queen who she serves.

Lieutenant search her… if the letter isn’t on the man or in the carriage it is sure to be somewhere on her, why else would the Queen send her favourite and most trusted chambermaid to Spain….”

“Very well my lord… But what shall we do with her afterward?”

“Tie her down and bring her along… she might be useful still… oh and lieutenant search her legs first will you, His Eminence’s orders stated that usually the Queen’s agents hid this kind of information on their legs inside their dresses…”

”Bu…but if you knew she had it… then why the killing of the man and this show…”

“As I said lieutenant I enjoy seeing people’s hatred and fear, but mostly because I enjoy killing idiots… A good thing there are so many of them around…he he he!”

”My lord there is something here, tied to her left leg… it is a letter it seems addressed to Philippe…”

“Splendid lieutenant… His Eminence will be very satisfied to hear that… Now leave the bodies in the carriage and bring the girl… oh and lieutenant bring me the letter.”

As he got the letter De Rousselet smiled. It seemed to be just what the Cardinal had been hoping for. This was certain to make the Cardinal a very satisfied man.

He remains a nasty piece of work, that is so. And, perhaps, further hints as to him being ultimately unreliable. I wonder if de Rousselet will one day do something, something over-hasty or overly excessive, that will cause the Cardinal's displeasure.

Lord E: ...“As I said lieutenant I enjoy seeing people’s hatred and fear, but mostly because I enjoy killing idiots… A good thing there are so many of them around…he he he!”

nothing nice about this guy ! ! :eek:

awesome update ! !
:cool:

It has been some weeks since I was last able to be online on Paradox, and therefore there have been no updates or developments in my AARs. As I wrote before I disappeared I was very busy with exams, and it got so busy that I was unable to get online and write updates, so that is the reason for my long absence…. But now the exams have come to an end and the summer holiday is approaching so I think I will be able to return to a normal updates soon. Today I will need some time to catch up because I can see a lot has happened during my absence, but new updates will be posted within the next couple of days.

Lord E

Lord E: ...Today I will need some time to catch up because I can see a lot has happened during my absence, but new updates will be posted within the next couple of days.

hmmm. that was two weeks ago ! ! ;) that said, i am sure that you needed more than a couple of days to catch up on your reading ! ! :D

so, do you have an ETA for when your next update will grace your magnificent AAR ? ? :cool:

stnylan I guess you can say he is the kind of character that can never be trusted… and should the cardinal lose control over him that might be very bad

J. Passepartout I think there are few you want to dine with him…

GhostWriter He sure is an evil bastard…

kingmbutu Maybe it will be a bad move, but for now he is just following orders…

kingmbutu Yes, and it has been an even longer time now… but I have an update almost finished so should have it posted today or tomorrow :)

GhostWriter Yes, I am very sorry about that, but real life got in the way. But now I have an update almost finished and as I said I should have it posted today or tomorrow. Hope that is an okay ETA :)

castletower1xe3.jpg

20 October 1625

Lyon, France

The low autumn sun was slowly sending its last beams of lights towards the city. As the sun slowly disappeared from the sky it got colder and in the large watchtower he could feel the wind grab his cloak and as he stood there watching the wind played with his cloak blowing it back and forth. For the patrolling guards on the walls it looks like the man was not standing still, but more like he was hanging in the air with his huge cloak holding him up.

Turning his face away from the sun as it disappeared behind the horizon he grabbed the cloak around him. The French autumn evenings were getting colder and it seemed clear that the campaign season was coming to an end. There had not been any decisive and large battles and the Duke of Rohan was still roaming Southern- and Western-France with his forces, but still he was satisfied. The Royal forces were fighting back and slowly they would win back the land under hostile control. Nodding slowly to his own thoughts the man smiled, he knew that things was going just as planned, if only the other business could be concluded satisfactory also it would be a good day.

Hearing steps running up the stairs behind him he quickly turns around to meet the hooded character that appeared from the staircase.

“I have… We brought the wagon and the woman in trough the south gate. “

”You are sure no one knows about her? If anyone knows…”

“I am sure. She won’t cause Your Eminence more trouble…”

”I hope so, I do hope so… remember she is your responsibility now….

Don’t kill her, she is worth a lot alive… but do make her disappeared will you. Shw will be of little use if she if set free…

Now the letter?”

“I have it here Your Eminence… I am afraid it is a little bloody… its previous owner was a little reluctant to part with it…”

”I am sure you convinced him otherwise… I am guessing he won’t be so reluctant next time…”

“Oh there won’t be a next time for him Your Eminence…”

”You have done well… Take care of the woman now… you may leave!”

As the man slowly walked back down the stairs he grabbed the letter. It was addresses to Philippe, but more interesting was the seal on the rear. He could see at once that the private seal of the sender had been used. Then he opened it, quickly browsing through it and then he laughed.

”I am afraid your dear Philippe won’t be able to aid you now… hehehe… let him come because I will be waiting for him… let him start the war because I know we will end it… once and for all…”

Rubbing his hands Cardinal Richelieu smiled, everything was going just as planned.

His confidence is still building. Nice little megolamaniacal touch with the rubbing hands.

Lord E: ...”…Don’t kill her, she is worth a lot alive…Now the letter?”

other than trouble, what is her worth alive ? ? :confused:

Lord E: ...”I am afraid your dear Philippe won’t be able to aid you now… hehehe… let him come because I will be waiting for him… let him start the war because I know we will end it… once and for all…” ..Rubbing his hands Cardinal Richelieu smiled, everything was going just as planned.

this also leaves me in confusion ! ! hmmm. i think part of the problem is that i don't remember who Philippe is. while reading this and the previous updates, i was thinking that Philippe was the king of Spain... :confused:

even with the confusion, it is nice to see the Cardinal rub his hands as it is likely that our dear Cardinal will get it spanked ! ! :D

magnificent updates ! ! :cool:

stnylan The Cardinal sure is very confident indeed, but time will show if he is too confident…

J. Passepartout No, it might be bad for the recipients that the Cardinal has got the letter, but I think it might be good for France ;)

GhostWriterThanks :)

The Cardinal might be hoping to get more information of her or maybe she can be used as bait or blackmail potential…

As for who Philippe is I think you should keep your thoughts… a famous Philippe with lots of power in this world and with a female relative in France, you are very much correct that is the King of Spain ;) As for what that means for the story… well time will show, but I hope to have a new update finished tomorrow maybe explaining some more.

All Working on the next update now, and I think I should have it finished for you all tomorrow, then we shall return to our old friend Jean and look into his position in all this.

firepw6.jpg

27 October 1625

Lyon, France

Jean grabbed his sword quickly. The three giant Huguenots came running towards him quickly with their weapons ready. Jean felt the sweat on his forehead, but he tried to stay focused and concentrate on the enemies in front of him. Around him he could hear screams and the sounds of metal hitting metal. The Huguenots had come from nowhere and now they were attacking the defenders with a ferocity Jean had never seen before. Already half the company had fallen under the Huguenot attacks, and the pile of bodies was just increasing more and more, but it didn’t see to stop the enemies they just came on and on with more and more men.

Jean lifted his sword to stop the swing from the first attacker and then he jumped up lifting his legs high to avoid the second attacker’s swing that had been aimed at his knees while he trusted his sword backwards and then quickly forward. Jean felt his arm and the sword race forward until suddenly it hit something and slowed down while blood splashed into his face. His trust had hit the third attacker just above the elbow cutting deep into the arm and then the sword and got stuck in the man’s bones. Grabbing the sword hard Jean didn’t notice the attackers cry of pain he was just focused on getting his sword back out so that he could defend against the two other attackers. Once more the second attacker tried to hit his knees and again Jean jumped high to save his legs, finally managing to get the sword out of the man’s arm Jean instinctively swings it against the second man, not as quick as Jean in his reactions the man iw unable to stop Jean’s thrust from hitting his right leg, but at the same time Jean feels a great pain in his left arm and looking down he can see the first attacker had stabbed his knife deep into Jean’s arm. Instinctively grabbing for the wound and pulling the knife out Jean is unable to defend himself from the second attacker, although he was having trouble standing because of the wound Jean had inflicted on his leg he was still able to grab his sword and send it against Jean once more and this time he hit. The sword didn’t go into Jena’s leg but instead it cut down the side of his right leg leaving a large open wound from the belt and down to the wound. Jean immediately lost balance and at the same time as he sent his sword into the skull of the third attacker Jean fell to the ground with blood streaming out of his leg.

Jean felt cold while at the same time he was sweating. He was on the ground in the dust with more and more blood appearing from his wound, and he could feel the world go round and round and round. Then he noticed the first attacker lift a giant axe against him and send it against him.

“NOoooooooooo!”

Jean was warm and filled with sweat when he jumped out of bed. Trying to regain his breath and get used to the dark Jean looks out trough the window watching a fire appearing on the horizon. As his eyes once more regained his sight he looked down his body, there were no wounds and no blood, it was then he knew. It had all been a dream….

As his eyes regain sight he stood in the window of his room in the castle of Lyon looking out. The fire he had seen on the horizon was slowly growing in size and strength casting beams of light out on the French countryside this early autumn morning. The sun was slowly rising to a new day.

But as Jean looked closer the he noticed the light wasn’t getting higher in the sky instead a smell touched his nostrils, a smell that he instinctively knew, and a smell he hated. It was then he remembered that he didn’t have a window the right way; the sun never went up on his side of the castle it went down. At once Jean knew it wasn’t the sun it was a real fire, the small village out there was on fire and by strength of the fire Jean knew that nothing would remain of it when this was over.

Shaking his head Jean turns away from the burning village, but then a new sound force him back to the window. The church bells and alarm bells were ringing and it was then he saw them. Cavalry, several hundreds of them. Although he couldn’t see any banners Jean knew at once…

“Huguenots…”

...............................​
Edit: Post 3500 :)