• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
stnylan said:
But so does the Cardinal.

I think Rohan is being toyed with, like a cat playing with a mouse.

The saying we have in the USA is "give him enough rope to hang himself." Perhaps you're right and the Cardinal is letting the Duke do just that?

Joe

Storey said:
The saying we have in the USA is "give him enough rope to hang himself." Perhaps you're right and the Cardinal is letting the Duke do just that?

Joe
That is a good saying indeed… in it might be this is what is going on here. Time will tell

Well it is time to move on I think, time will show what will happen to the two armies in France, but for now we return to Jean and see what is happening with the hunt for Richard.

chateauzi0.gif

20 July 1625
Château Baugé, Anjou region, France

Jean was sitting very still among the trees watching the chateau. The journey south had been very uneventful apart from the messenger they had met on their way informing them that they were to ride south to join the main army, but as they were already on their way it was little this message could do to interrupt their plans.

Jean had been watching the chateau for close to two hours already, waiting for the sun to go down behind the horizon. The Baron had decided that they were going to move as soon as darkness covered their approach to the chateau and made it possible to climb the wall without anyone seeing them. Now was Jean watched and saw the two guards at gate talking to each other he could feel it was getting colder as the sun slowly disappeared. Soon it was time to act.

About thirty minutes alter the Baron, Jean and Francois was moving silently across the filed approaching the wall, quickly they jump up and climbs the wall. When they are over they stand in a large garden with the chateau only 50 meters away. Just as Francois is about to move forward Jean quickly grabs his arm.

“Wait… there are more guards out there!”

”Jean is correct; I can see two of them now. Only ten meters in front of us… there behind the trees.

I don’t think we can get past them without them noticing. Francois and Jean do you think you can take care off it?”

“Of course.”

Slowly the two men crawl forward. When they are two meters behind the guards, the two men stands up and grabs their pistols. Slowly they move even closer and then Jean nods and they send their pistols crashing down onto the two men’s heads. Before the two men can crash into the ground Jean and Francois has grabbed them and pulled them in among the trees. The Baron quickly aids them in securing the two men making sure they are tied to a tree.

Leaving the two unconscious men behind the three men moves slowly forward once again.

”We need to find a way into the chateau… I hope we will be able to find an open window or something…”

“Monsieur Baron… there is an open door on the backside…”

”Splendid, now men let us get inside!”

Quickly running towards the open glass door they move through it and walks into the castle. Inside it is very dark and as they move forward they stay close to the wall as to know where they are. Walking along long corridors for long everything goes fine. But suddenly as they walk around a corner they were something standing in the way. The Baron crashes right into it, and the ting crashes into the floor creating a loud bang and the Baron stumbles over it. Then they hear men screaming and running.

”WHAT WAS THAT? GUARDS THERE ARE INTRUDERS HERE. FIND THEM AT ONCE!”

The three men look at each other in the dark with shocked faces; quickly they run down the corridor trying to find somewhere to hide. At the end of the corridor they find that it is a dead-end. Suddenly they were trapped and behind them they can hear the guards coming closer and closer.

Nice couple of updates. I like how the Duke is sinister and wants to split the Cardinal's forces.

In your last update...what clumsy invaders, good grief! :p

At least their fighting skill is better then their ability to sneak. :D

J. Passepartout said:
Hmph, they were going along well before. Now for some swashbuckling.
Yes, they were doing fine, but no need to things to develop as planned all the time… that would be a little boring don’t you think? ;)

Eber said:
Nice couple of updates. I like how the Duke is sinister and wants to split the Cardinal's forces.

In your last update...what clumsy invaders, good grief! :p

At least their fighting skill is better then their ability to sneak. :D
Thanks. Yes, the Duke is no idiot, but neither is the Cardinal so time will show if it works out… Sometimes even the best are clumsy, especially when it makes the story so much better

All Well tomorrow I am leaving for the weekend. I will hopefully return on Sunday or Monday and get an update done then before going on Easter holiday. But because of this the next update might be the last one until Sunday or Monday so you will all just have to wait if you want to know what Jean has planned… A small cliff-hanger has never hurt anyone!

chateauzi0.gif

20 July 1625

Francois, the Baron and Jean stood completely still. The small room they had found was tiny, but it was better than being on the outside. Just before the guards had come running around the corner Francois had seen the small door that was situated in the hallway and they had quickly moved in to hide.

Inside the small room there were several barrels standing all around. It was clearly some kind of storage room. The three of them was crouching behind some large barrels as far away from the door as they were able to get. On the outside they could hear the guards talking and searching.

”What you think? Should we search the storage room?”

”Nah… what is the point in that. Only big, fat rats live in there… besides I told you already… there is nothing here. It is only the Comte that has obviously heard a ghost.”

”I don’t think the Comte believes in ghosts…”

”You silly fool… there is no such thing as intruders or ghosts. Come on I am hungry, this so called sounds dragged my away from my dinner!”

”I still think we should look inside the room…”

”Well if that is what is necessary to get you to shut up and allow me to eat my dinner… Alright let us take a quick look!”

For a second Jean had been hoping and thinking that the men weren’t going to look into the small room they were hiding in, but obviously they were not to be that lucky. As the door slowly opened the three of them tried to hide even better behind the barrels.

”Happy now… you see there is nothing here!

Can we get back to dinner now…”

”I think we should take a look around also… not just stand here in the door and look into the room…”

”Oh… nice…. Alright, alright let us go in then…”

Jean was the one sitting closest to the door and now as he silently moved his head a little forward he could watch the two men was they walked into the room with a flaming torch that sent its rays of light around the small storage room. Quickly hiding his head as he saw the light from the torch approach Jean waited and prayed. Next to him he noticed the Baron was slowly grabbing his knife. There was no reason not to be prepared to act quickly. If they saw something these two needed to be silence before they could raise the alarm.

Slowly the light from the torch was getting closer and closer. Jean could see the Baron’s face more and more clearly as the torch made their side of the small room clearer. Quickly Jean tried to crawl even closer to the Baron hoping that the guards wouldn’t notice the three men hiding behind the barrels. He noticed the light was just in front of their barrels and then it slowly turned further and further to the left away from where they were hiding. Seeing the Baron and Francois in front of him Jean could see that his two friends were very nervous, but as they noticed the light move away from them they were once more able to breath.

”Now as I told you… there is nothing here. Can we go now? My stomach is killing me…”

”Alri… HEY what is that…? There is something moving in the dark!”

Just as Jean had been thinking that they were saved the light suddenly moved quickly towards their position again. It was clear that the guard had seen something, any second now they would be spotted. The Baron was signalling that they needed to silence them and Jean grabbed his knife ready to throw it against one of the guards. Just two meters closer now and they would be spotted and it would be necessary to act.

”You fool! It is only a rat! I told you didn’t I… only bloody rats live in here… Wasting my time like this… Come on let us go…”

”Alright, let us go then…”

As Jean looked out from the barrels he could see a large, fat, grey rat run across the room. As the door closed Jean can do nothing else than smile and from his pockets he pulled forward a small piece of bread quickly putting it on the ground.

“Here little one... you have deserved it!”

”Damn it… that was too close men. We need to wait a little longer and then we can move forward again to see if we can find Richard. I think we all need a little rest… that really was way to close!”

Smiling the Baron sits back against the wall. His hands are still clutching his knife ready to strike and as he notices it he smiles to Jean and Francois as he puts the knife away. It had been way to close. Francois also leans back against the wall, but suddenly as he leans against a large brick in the wall he falls backwards. Suddenly the wall had opened and inside they could see a long, dark corridor.

“It must be some kind of secret corridor!”

”Well I think that will be much safer than running around the normal ways in here… Well gentlemen shall we. Who knows what we might discover.

Francois have you still got the map my brother made?”

”Oui, monsieur Baron. It seems like the cells are in the bottom of the chateau in the cellar… and it seems like this secret way is going down, so I hope we might be able to get in the right direction using this way.”

”Excellent… now shall we go gentlemen?”

Smiling to the two other men the Baron takes the lead into the dark corridor. As they move forward they walk slowly downwards. All the time the corridor is going down, down and further down until suddenly they stand against a wall once more, a wall with a small hole to look through. As the Baron looks through he can see seven guards and on the other side several cells.

”Seems like we used the correct way… Now we only need to get past that group out there…”

“Or maybe not… Maybe there is another way around them… I have a plan!”

Smiling to his two friends Jean gestures for them to follow him. He had seen a different way into the cells, one that didn’t force them to fight all the guards out there.

A great stroke of luck. And some nice tension in that last scene. Let's hope they find Richard before they have to fight their way out of here.

J. Passepartout Sometimes one needs to be lucky I think, and in this case they were lucky.. let us hope it will continue

coz1 Yes, I think they will need some more luck to get Richard before they are spotted by someone, fighting their way out is not a very good idea I think… It is safe to say that the guards in this chateau outnumber our friends many, many times…

All Well as promised I have returned home for some time and I will get an update for this posted within the next hour. Hopefully I will get one done tomorrow also before I leave again… But for now you will just have to wait about an hour and then you will all get to know how this continues

chateauzi0.gif

20 July 1625

Stumbling out of the wall Jean noticed that they are in a dark room. Two meters away they can see the thick wooden door with a small barred opening close to the top where a few rays of light from the torches on the outside send some light into the cell. They had done it, they had managed to sneak past the guards using the secret passage and now they stood in the cells.

Standing still for some moments until the eyes got used to the light they can heard that there is someone or something else inside the cell. A coughing can be heard from the wall furthest from where they entered. After having got used to the dark Jean noticed a man sitting in the corner chained. He looks shocked to see them, but he doesn’t make a sound as the Baron signals to him to stay quite. The three of them slowly crawled towards the man and the Baron whispered in a low voice to him.

”We are your friends… we will get you out old man. We just need to ask some questions… Have you seen a newly arrived prisoner in here, a young man?”

”A young man you say? *cough* well I guess the newest visitor could be said to fit that. They brought him in only two weeks ago *cough*

Treated him very nice they did, the bastards. But then after the boys *cough* wh… who had brought him in left… the bastards… they started treating him like they do everyone down here. *cough*

Or well rather they treated him pretty nice, but I guess that is only because they don’t understand *cough, cough, cough* they don’t understand what he says…”

“Do you know where he is… we want to get him out…”

”Oh I know… *cough* but I don’t see any reason why anyone would want to *cough* rescue a bloody Englishman…

Oh yes… I might be old, but I know English after having spent three years on that cold island as a prisoner… polite people they are, but *cough* I can’t say I like them.. Still the English are much better than these bloody bastards!

In England I was allow to walk free and talk to everyone, down here *cough* don*cough, cough, cough*”

”Oh shut up you old fool… I can’t stand that bloody coughing. Either you keep your bloody mouth shut or else I will have to come in there and put that long, white beard of yours into that mouth of yours until you are quite for good!”

After the guard had screamed towards the cell for some time and had got no response form the inside he got tired and returned to his friends. The old man leaned closer and whispered in an even lower voice.

”You see what I mean… they are all bastards!”

“So you know English…. Have you talked to the Englishman, is he okay?”

”He sounded okay to me… but I don’t think he care too much for the treatment in this place… But who are you, and why on earth are three Frenchmen walking into my cell in the middle of France looking for an Englishman?”

”It is a long story old man… a very long story. But this Englishman is not a regular one, he means a lot to a friend of ours, a friend who also happens to be a friend of Her Majesty. That is why he is important… that and the fact that our dear Cardinal in this moment has begun his great crusade against the Huguenots.

But now we have to get you out of here… Francois aid him into the corridor; just tell us first where the Englishman is?”

”Oh he is close… very close *cough* Her Ma…Ma…Majesty you say… well then he is important… he is very close, but at the same time far, far away… If you look out you will see a cell at the end of the room… the cell where all the guards are on the outside… that is where he *cough’ cough*cough*”

”BE QUITE YOU OLD FOOL!”

An angry yell from the outside strikes them all cold and for seconds they just stand there waiting to be discovered. But as the coughing stopped it seemed like the guard lost interest and instead return to his friends to play dice.

”You friend is in the room behind all the guards… I actually think they are playing dice for his clothes and belongings now… a very fine gentleman I understand. The guard told me that he hoped to win the red, noble cloak… “

“Playing dice for his belongings… why?”

”Well to put it like this he won’t need them after they have hanged him… you will need to act quickly. Your friend is going to the gallows in the morning unless you save him, or of course if the Duke returns…”

“Duke? What Duke?”

”Why the Duke of Rohan of course… he brought him in and told them to treat him fine, but these bastards doesn’t’ listen and now the Comte has decided to hang him… I don’t think the Duke will be very happy, but the Comte doesn’t’ care much… he only wants to get his greedy hands on the man’s money and the fine sword…”

“It seems like we are in time trouble monsieur”

”Indeed we are Jean, indeed we are… We will need to act quickly if we are to have any change to getting Richard out alive…”

”Yes, you must certainly do… they are hanging him in the morning!”

Jean looked shocked at the Baron as Francois aided the old man out of the cell and into the secret corridor. Richard was in bigger trouble than they had ever imagined, they needed a plan and they needed it quickly. Or else only a miracle could save Richard now.

J. Passepartout said:
I had come into the update wondering if perhaps the guards of the castle knew about the secret passage and our heroes would be caught going back the other way, but it looks like we have a bigger problem on our hands.
Indeed, they have a much bigger problem at their hands... but to be a little evil with you all I will leave you waiting until after I return from Eastern holiday to get to know what happens.

I have a new update ready, but this one will send us a little south to see the Cardinal and hear a little about the troubles in the world. After that I will leave on holiday, so I will wish you all a good and peaceful Easter :)

picturecbloisrobidaii0.jpg

20 July 1625
Blois, France

The French army had been in camped in Blois for close to three weeks. The soldiers were restless and many people were wondering when the commanders were planning to move the army forward. When the Cardinal had started the war the army had looked forward to a quick campaign and victory with much honour. Instead the army had only moved to Blois and made camp. And now after three weeks in camp the soldiers were restless and wondering when something would happen. The camp was large and to make sure that soldiers wouldn’t create trouble inside the city Richelieu had made sure to situated the camp some kilometres south of the city.

The sun was shining upon the tents and the soldier’s weapons. The day was warm and much like their colleagues in La Rochelle the sentries on duty were hot and patrolling in the heath quickly made them tired.

In the middle of the camp was a small chateau where the Cardinal had made sure to install himself and his staff. The chateau was filled with life as messengers arrived all the time with messages and news from all around Europe. Although the Cardinal had left Paris he had not left the governing of France to others and His Eminence’s powers were working just as effective south of Blois as it would do in Paris.

Inside what had used to be the local landlord’s study the Cardinal was now sitting behind a large desk writing orders, commands and trying to keep ready at all times. Just as the Cardinal was putting down a letter from one of his agents in Germany informing him of the great battle between the Imperial forces and the Protestant league the captain of the guard De Rousselet entered the room.

“Your Eminence, the scouts have returned. Bad news it seems…”

”Hmmm… I take it they didn’t find the rebel forces?”

“I am afraid they never got that far, Your Eminence… It would seem like His Majesty are arriving some days too early Your Eminence… Orbigny only reached Orleans before they faced His Majesty’s advance guard; they were preparing the castle for His Majesty’s arrival tomorrow… And after that they told Orbigny His Majesty would ride south to join the army the day after tomorrow…”

”So the young fool couldn’t stay in Paris as long as he was supposed to… I wanted this matter cleared before His Majesty arrived. It seems we will need to work quicker De Rousselet… I hope you will see to it!”

“Certainly Your Eminence… I already have men working on it…But at least one thing is certain, the rebels are not to the north.”

”The Duke is no idiot… he will never march on Paris. He knows he can’t win such a battle or siege… No, I expect him not to march north or against us, the Duke is no idiot, but neither are we De Rousselet and I am not falling for this.”

“Falling for what Your Eminence?”

”You don’t see what he is doing? The Duke is no idiot, he is trying to march his forces around and make me run around after him…”

“Well the men are bored Your Eminence, so I don’t think some action would be bad…”

”Oh fear not, they will see enough action when the time is right… When the scouts have found the Duke and his small forces there will be enough action to keep the men happy…

Now the other more pressing matter. It will need to be finished before the King arrives… His Majesty is young and unaccustomed to the ways of the world… there is no need for him to know.”

“Of course not Your Eminence… I am personally going to take care of it. “

”Splendid, splendid…”

The Cardinal started smiling his most cunning smile and nodded to the captain.

”Splendid indeed…But remember she can’t know… do what you want with the messengers, but she must not be hurt or else she will complain to His Majesty… But there is no reason to leave the messenger alive… After all a traitor shouldn’t allow to stay alive!”

“Of course not, Your Eminence. Her Majesty will not know anything… My men have located the traitor going south. Yesterday he arrived in Orleans, we plan to intercept him and his cargo tomorrow.”

”Splendid. You must bring it here at once!

Oh and De Rousselet no mistakes this time… you will personally make sure that the traitor can speak no more and that the cargo is brought here…. Philippe must not get it…”

“Of course not Your Eminence. As I said I am personally taking care of it!”

The Cardinal nodded and signalled for the captain to leave. Then a minute after the captain had left the old priest, Father Joseph entered.

“I presume Your Eminence has received the report from Germany?”

”Yes… the Imperial forces are marching forward it seems. This battle in Saxony sounds like a slaughterhouse to me… I hardly think they will be able to stop the Emperor’s forces from taking the city now. “

”Oh no it seems like this Wallenstein is a good general, and although I don’t doubt Your Eminence I don’t think I would like to see him marching in France… leaving behind a trail of death and horror seems to be his way.”

”I am afraid you are correct Father… As I have said something needs to be done about this… I hope you are still working on it?”

”Oh most certainly Your Eminence. It is progressing nicely and I think the Emperor will soon get a nice surprise…”

”Excellent… I leave it to you for now!”

Nodding the Father left the room while the Cardinal walked from the desk to the window. There he could see the army camped on the outside and he could see the soldiers training, some were resting and other patrolling. Rubbing his hands the Cardinal smiled. Soon the soldiers would do much more than fight with wooden swords. If everything worked out they would soon be fighting for real. Turning around the Cardinal stood in the chamber smiling. Everything was working out as he hoped. Now if only the Duke would walk right into the trap.

I wouldn't put it past the Red Menace to intentionally give His Majesty false directions to the battle if the battle can be wrapped up without him.

Looks gory in Germany, here's to von Wallenstein staying on the other side of the border.

Happy Easter.

About the only think I trust the Cardinal not to do is slip a dagger between His Majesty's ribs.

Well Jean is getting a lot of excitement. A jailbreak now. The lad is getting quite an education.

stnylan said:
The lad is getting quite an education.

That's an understatement. :)

So the army may be fighting for real soon. How exciting! I still love the Cardinal...

J. Passepartout I agree, that wouldn’t be very surprising…
I think it would be very good if he stays away because he seems to be trashing the Protestants in Germany…

stnylan Jean seems to have a certain thing for getting into exciting happenings… Yes, we can agree on that, the Cardinal would never kill the King, but he is able to do most other things

Eber Oh I think we shall see a very nice battle soon

All Well it is time to get the show back on the road I think. We return to see how Jean is doing and if they are able to get Richard out of jail… Coming right up!

chateauzi0.gif

20 July 1625

Jean nodded to Francois. He was standing next to the Baron while Francois was standing at the entrance to the secret corridor. They had got the old prisoner out of the way and now Jean was ready to begin his plan. Hoping to draw the guards away from the cell where Richard was supposed to be sitting Jean had asked Francois to run around the secret corridor and make noise, either making the guards afraid thinking it might be a ghost or at least draw their attention away while Jean and the Baron sneaked passed and into Richard’s cell.

Francois ran into the secret corridor and started making sounds; Jean was looking out through the small window in the door. He could see the guards reacted on the outside and as Francois got into the first room they had moved into on the other side of the hall he could see the guards were reacting and then suddenly all the guards started to run to see what was going on. Quickly Jean and the Baron moves out of the cell and sneaks down the corridor to the cell where Richard is supposed to be situated. Jean opened the door and slowly it opened..

“Richard are you in here?”

” J…J..Jean… is that you?”

“Yes, we never forgot you Richard, I am only sorry we needed some time before we could arrive here. But there is little time to talk Francois is distracting the guards, but we need to move quickly before they get back here…”

”There is only one problem Jean, I am tied to the wall!”

”We need to move soon Jean…”

“I know monsieur Baron, but what can we do…”

”We need to get him out of the ropes… Wait here and guard the door, I will take care of this!”

Jean could see the Baron got his sword forward and then run towards Richard. For a second Jean was thinking the Baron was going to kill Richard, but then he noticed that the Baron quickly sent his sword hard against the ropes and suddenly the rope broke and Richard was free. The Baron grabbed him by the arms and aided him towards the door and out of the door.

Suddenly all three of them was standing in the corridor, they could still hear Francois was making noise far away from them inside the walls, and hoping that he still kept the guards distracted they moved towards the cell where the entrance to the secret corridor was situated, then suddenly just as they were about to enter the cell two guards came around the corner.

”What is going on? STOP! ALA…”

Before the guard could say anything else Jean had sent his knife through the air and right into the man’s neck. Instead of screaming as it looked like he was about to no sound came from his mouth and instead blood started to pour form his neck and the man fell to the ground. The other guards was standing still just looking at his friend as he fell to the ground, but the moment his friend touched the ground he grabbed his sword and ran towards the Baron. But the Baron had seen it coming and he was prepared, quickly he had his sword ready and he stopped the man’s first attack. The Baron jumped to the side while the guard sent his sword towards the Baron’s stomach, then the Baron moved his sword from behind his head in a quick move towards the guard’s left arm. The guard as unable to stop the strike and the sword moved right into the guard’s flesh. While screaming out in pain the guard had managed to get his sword once more ready in his right hand and he sent it right into the Baron’s right leg, this caused the Baron to lose balance and fall to the ground.

The guard once more got his sword ready and was about to send it right through the Baron’s stomach while the Baron was injured on the ground, but Richard had seen what was going on and grabbed the Baron’s sword when the Baron fell to the ground and now Richard made sure to send it right to the guard’s chest. The guard started stumbling and then he fell backwards and was dead.

”There is fighting in the prison cells. ALARM! WE ARE UNDER ATTACK!”

But the sounds of weapons had gotten more guards interested and they could hear guards running towards them while screaming that they were under attack. The Baron was injured and unable to walk, but Richard and Jean lifted him up and moved into the cell and quickly into the secret corridor. There they closed the door behind them and was greeted by Francois who also aided them in getting the Baron out.

They ran up and up and up until they stood in the room where they had entered the corridor where the old prisoner was sitting having been left there by Francois. As Francois aided the old man Jean and Richard continued to aid the injured Baron as the ran out into the corridors of the chateau.
Moving down the corridors they could hear guards screaming alarm all around them, but they were lucky and able to avoid any more guards and soon they stood one more in front of the large glass door where they had entered.

As they ran out of the chateau they could see that the moon was slowly moving out from behind the clouds and sent its beams of light down on them. Behind them they could see two guards came out from the chateau and ran after them, but they were too late. The five men had already got out and now they were hiding in the woods. They had managed it, they had got Richard out and they had survived.

Mmm, though more by luck than judgement by the sound of things. Still, that shoudl firm out Jean's image in the eyes of a number of notables.