• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Lots has happened since I last read. The Cardinal is a crafty figure, but I wonder if he actually does see all, or just uses that line to convince people to give up information that he needs.

As for the safety of the Duke; his assassination would not go down too well in certain circles I think

stnylan yes, he is in a very stick spot right now…

As for the Duke, I think Buckingham has something up his sleeve indeed and that he won’t be fully unprepared…

Storey Yes, they are very noisy, but they might only be there to attract attention. Also I think a person certainly got your attention when he puts his sword to your neck;)

coz1 Yes, Richard will need to shot well I think. As for who is trying to do evil deeds in the castle, time will show

Eber Of course, cliff-hangers are the best thing in the world don’t you think ;)

J. Passepartout Yes, I think that is one of those moment when you can see your entire life flash in front of your eyes. I think you make a good point, is the man or woman with the sword an assassin or maybe someone else…

kingmbutu Of course when you are a man like the Cardinal it is always very important to show people that you know more than you do, I think you can get to know a lot by tricking people into talking when they think you already know…

I think that is a safe bet, if someone murders the Duke in Paris I think both London and La Rochelle would react…

All Well from what I understand from the sticky the forums are gonging down tomorrow when Paradox installs the new server, and that is really great news :D
But I am leaving for a meeting in 30 minutes and if I am unable to finish the update before that I am afraid you will all have to wait until the servers return online to know if Jean will survive or not. I will try to finish it, but I can’t promise anything…

louisxiiilouvrewq3.jpg

25th of April 1625
Louvre, Paris, France

Jean was shocked. They were obviously going to kill the Duke. He needed to do something and quickly. It was then he felt the cold metal from a sword against the back of his neck.

Unable to turn around Jean just sat there while his entire life flashed before his eyes, this was the end.

Suddenly the felt a warm hand in front of his face, it seemed like someone wanted to avoid him making a sound. Then he felt a warm breath close to his ear.

”Don’t you move a finger or else I will kill you, now turn slowly around and allow me to see you….”

Jean was shocked once again. That voice… It was soft and clear, he knew he had heard if before and then he smelled the perfume, this couldn’t be a man. It was then he remembered, the day they had met with the King and Queen that was where he had heard the voice before. As he moved slowly around he knew who he was going to see, the most beautiful girl he had ever seen. When they met the King and Queen he had been unable to see or think of anything but her. She was the same age as Jean he had been told and she was the most beautiful girl he had ever seen.

Now as he moved slowly around he could see her face again, she was perhaps even more beautiful now the moonlight was shining on her face and Jean could look right into her blue, clear eyes.

”But… but I have seen you before…”

“Yes… I am not an intruder. And you are beautiful tonight…”

”You are Baron de Coligny's young friend…”

Jean could notice that she blushed, just like she had done the day in with the royals. Jean hadn’t noticed then, but the other men had told him later that she hadn’t been able to get his eyes of him either. They had both just been staring at each other for the entire time.
And now they stood here in the dark hallway clutching to each other.

“We can’t stay here and talk. They might see us, come on follow me.”

She had been clutching to him for the entire time and now as they walked she didn’t let go of his hand, but she was still holding her dagger in her other hand. Jean couldn’t really think about much else, here he was in the middle of the night with the girl of his dreams. It was only when they got back to where Richard was hiding that Jean remembered the realities.

”Who is that?”

“This is one of the Queen’s chamber ladies, she was about to stab me to death. She thought I were an intruder…

Now Richard they have entered and they have got some kind of poison and they…”

It was then they heard a gunshot from the other end of the corridor. Then yet another gunshot and screams before they could hear steel against steel. Someone was fighting.

Jean immediately let go of the girl and ran down the corridor not turning to see if the other two were coming with him.

As he got around the corner he could see another of the Baron’s men Charles was fighting against the two intruders. Not thinking anything else Jean got his sword and ran forward.

Jean stabs his sword against the largest of the two men hitting him in the left shoulder before the man had even noticed that Jean arrive. Screaming in pain he turns around and with a large swing tries to cut Jean’s head off. Jean however had already ducked and instead he sends his sword into the man’s knee. Once again screaming in pain the man falls forward as the knee wound makes it impossible for him to stand.

It was then Jean noticed a figure appeared in front of them in the corridor, a figure dressed in a red cloak.

I have realized that your cliff hangers are giving me heart problems, Lord E. I demand you stop it at once unless you want to live with the knowledge of my death on your hands. :p

Speaking of which, red cloak eh? Red = Blood...Cloak of Blood = Possible Death? Don't you like my equation... :rofl:

red cloak = cardinal possibly too. Though I wonder at that - it seems a little obvious.

So Jean has found himself a dangerous woman. Men called Jean clearly should take up a celibate life! ;)

I thought for a brief moment that it might be Richelieu holding a knife to Jean's neck, but not yet. Probably he would have thown it. ;)

I think Jean and this girl made a mistake in standing there staring. Could have tried positioning themselves a bit sooner for this shooting and ghostly man cloaked in red.

Well isn't that a stroke of luck to find this beautiful woman while on his adventure. I can only hope it goes far between them. And Jean certainly is brave to jump right into the fray. Perhaps to impress? ;) Nah...just his duty.

But the Cardinal comes to stop it all. I wonder if he sent those men.

stnylan said:
red cloak = cardinal possibly too. Though I wonder at that - it seems a little obvious.

Well umm...all the Cardinals I know bring death........*mumbles to himself as he kicks some dirt and walks off* :p

stnylan said:

I agree to obvious. Maybe the Duke likes red cloaks? :D

Joe

"Richard! This is one of the Queen's chamber maids! She almost killed me with a dagger! I think I'm in love! :) "

Typical young man. ;) :rofl:

Great work!

Rensslaer

kingmbutu Of course. There are many factors that can mean trouble, but then again I guess nothing can be done when you are in love… ;)

Snake IV I have left you a hint in the next update, so I urge you to do your best to find it

Eber Heart problems, that doesn’t sounds very nice… but cliff-hangers are so nice, I can’t promise I can stop using them.
Oh certainly it might men death, but who are going to die

stnylan I guess they should, but you can’t really blame them can you. I mean interesting women are always nice…
As for red=Cardinal that was actually one of the first things I thought off, but then I reconsidered and as you say it is a little too obvious so I can tell you this. It is not the cardinal!

J. Passepartout Yes, that would have been an interesting situation indeed. One that I actually considered for some time, but I decided it worked better using the girl. They could have hid better, but then the story wouldn’t have been so interesting… ;)

coz1 Meeting beautiful young woman is always nice. We can only hope it will work out, and that no one will use her to get to Jean…
Actually this time it isn’t the cardinal, but I think you will find that this guy is just as powerful and interesting.

Eber That is a very good point

Storey Well the Duke is from the country coloured red by Paradox… So he might do, but this isn’t the Duke either, he is still asleep in his bed

Rensslaer Of course, Jean is just a young man in love after all ;)

All It has been a lot of reading to do today as the forum is back online. It is great to see the return of functions like the “dots” and the possibility to see who is reading what thread... Those are functions I had almost forgotten that Paradox ever used to have, they have been away for years. And now maybe even the search function will return. This is all great news, and the forum is working very fine now, so to honour all that I think it is time to continue the story don’t you agree…

If I remember correctly we left Jean fighting with some assassins and then this mysterious red cloaked man appeared… I guess you are all waiting for the next update, and as it happens I have it almost ready so it should be posted very soon…

louisxiiilouvrewq3.jpg

25th of April 1625
Louvre, Paris, France

If was several seconds before Jean and anyone else could do anything, they just stared at the figure standing there in the red cloak. His face was covered by the cloak and neither the moon nor any lights shined on his face. It was like it was a ghost standing there in front of them. Then suddenly the second intruder, the one Charles’s had been fighting with reacted.

“It is him, we can still kill him!”

Charles had been injured in his right arm and his leg and was unable to do anything as the man jumped forward. He just brushed Charles away and ran towards the figure in the dark. Jean didn’t think much, he just reacted. Seeing the intruder raise his knife Jean instinctively jumped forward.

It was only then as he got closer that he noticed that the cloak wasn’t red like a cardinal’s cloak, but it was closer to purple, royal purple. But before Jean could think anything else he had jumped on the assassin and both of them crashed into a table standing close to one of the walls.

In the fall Jean lost his sword and now the other man was trying to hit him with his knife, Jean could only try to punch him and take the knife from him. As he saw an opening Jean quickly punched the man with his right hand directly on the nose, but the same second he felt pain in his left leg. The knife had not gone into the leg, but instead it had passed alongside the leg making a large cut that soon started to bleed. But instead of noticing this Jean just continue punching and punching the man.

It was now that the man in the cloak appeared from the shadows.

”Enough, We want the man alive…

Now are you alright brave soldier?”

The moment he heard the voice Jean stopped, his entire body sat still for several seconds, and then he quickly turned around and he looked right into the face of His Most Christian Majesty, Louis XIII King of France and Navarre

For a minute Jean sat silent, and so did everyone else, he could see Charles sitting there just as shocked and in the background Richard was just standing there with his head bowed down. On the floor there were two unconscious intruders and a lot of blood. It was only as the King lowered his head to take a closer look that Jean regained control over his senses.

“Your Majesty! I… I… I am doing well Your Majesty!”

”Good, We are glad to see such a brave soldier as you survive.

Your name soldier?”

“Jean de Nogaret, Your Majesty. I am in the company of Baron de Coligny.”

”Ah that is correct. We had forgotten the fact that it was de Coligny’s men guarding Our Royal Person tonight. We offer Our deepest wishes and thanks to you and the rest of the men de Nogaret. You have saved Our life, it shall not be forgotten…”

As the King nodded and smiled to Jean more people came rushing in. Jean could see the Baron, and he was glad. As the newcomers saw the King they all immediately halted and bowed deep.”

”Baron de Coligny, this brave young man tells Us that he is serving in your company. I presume the rest of them are also your men?”

”Yes, Your Majesty. I have the honour of commanding young de Nogaret and the others.”

”You have ever reason to be proud of your men Baron, especially young de Nogaret as he has saved Our Royal life this night. We will see you all tomorrow at ten, We wish to thank you all for your work tonight!”

Having said that the King turned around and returned into the shadows, but this time he didn’t walk alone as the Baron immediately nodded to several of the men that he had brought with him and they followed the King protecting him.

Jean was still sitting on the floor on top of the unconscious assassin. The knife was right next to the man and on the floor was a large red spot of blood. Seeing that Jean was bleeding the Baron had one of the men see to the wound while another was taking care of Charles. After a linen cloth had been put on the wound halting the bleeding for now Jean was pulled to his legs and with the aid of the Baron was able to walk down the corridor.

It was then the young girl jumped at Jean and kissed him.

”My hero!”

After kissing him for what seemed like a wonderful hour to Jean, she gave him one last kiss and ran away.

Jean was left standing there. The wound was hurting and the loss of blood had made him a little dizzy.

”Now lad, I can see you are dizzy, but somehow I think it has more to do with the beautiful young woman than with your wound?”

Jean could only nod and smile.

”Love… such a dangerous thing it can be. But I guess it brings good things also…

Well young Jean saving the life of the His Majesty just a week after arriving in Paris. I have a feeling that will give you quite a name in the city. I always knew the Cardinal was correct when he thought you would get far, but I don’t think even the Cardinal had this in mind…

Jean my young friend I have a feeling only good things can come from this.

Now let us get you back to the barracks and take a look at that wound of yours.”

As the Baron and Jean walked away several other guards were lifting up the two assassins, carrying them to the Bastille. It was only then as everyone left the hallway Richard noticed the small note that had fallen from one of the assassin’s pocket. Picking it up Richard read it. It contained only one sentence:

“For de Rohan and Calvin”.

Having read the small note Richard quickly folded it together and walked towards the Duke’s chambers. Richard knew the events of the evening would interest the Duke of Buckingham.

Last edited:
I don't suppose I could trouble you to use a different shade of blue can I. I can barely tell it's there next to the blue background.

But quite a surprise. Good work done by all indeed - royal favour never goes amiss.

Excellent story so far!

Well worth spending the last two hours reading and re-reading parts of this.

Can't wait for more...

Good post and nice surprise having his majesty show up...

and while we're mentioning colours... the red you use when the cardinal speaks is a tad wearisome on my old eyes. it makes them do this :wacko:

stnylan I have altered the colours now, so I hope it is better?
Royal favours are as you say always a very good thing, and as you shall see next it brings good things

Eber Thanks. I thought it was a nice way of surprising you ;)

Petros Thanks, glad you enjoy the story. It is always nice to see readers enjoy the story

kingmbutu Thanks. Well I wanted to surprise you, so I thought it not being the Cardinal or the Duke would be surprising, also I thought it was about time to bring the King into the story ;)

I will see what I can do about that red; maybe a different red colour can be used?

Snake IV Thanks, glad you enjoy it

All Well I hope the colours are easier to see and read now… Also if someone has a good idea for a different kind of red for the cardinal I am open for suggestions…
I am glad you were all surprise by the king’s entrance that was what I wanted to do, surprise you all…
I am guessing the next post won’t be so surprising, but we shall see Jean get some credit for his work :)

Should have it ready soon.