• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well, thanks to Llywelyn, I should have the next set of Papal adventures posted by tonight or tomorrow. It will definitely be full of maps.

Secret Master said:
I might be interested in doing a stint as Pope.

I have to dust off my old copy of CK and update it. Let me know what, at this point in the game, I need in order to play (besides the save game, obviously).

Unless something's changed, you'll need 1.05 + IP2, and the altered dynasty.txt (distributed free with each copy of Drachenfire's Welsh mod and with each save game). Plus a slightly deranged mind, judging from our earlier Popes.

CTG said:
Well, thanks to Llywelyn, I should have the next set of Papal adventures posted by tonight or tomorrow. It will definitely be full of maps.

I'm glad to hear about the maps! :D but. . .

RGB said:
Thus ends Act the First. To hear more
of our protagonist's Popish deeds
pop in again into this selfsame thread
Sometime before the next guy writes his piece.

Did I misunderstand this, or isn't RGB doing another installment first? I thought he was just taking his sweet time...

j.

EDIT: Nope. Didn't misunderstand: he just needs some time cuzza finals, which apparently they have midterm wherever he goes to school. (Kid's excuses just keep getting lazier and lazier... :D)

Last edited:
Secret Master said:
I might be interested in doing a stint as Pope.

Yaaaaay!!!*

I have to dust off my old copy of CK and update it. Let me know what, at this point in the game, I need in order to play (besides the save game, obviously).

What he said.

*Although, depending on what exactly you're the Secret Master of, you might be a damned heretic, you don't need to worry because I don't think they've discovered the Inquisition yet.** So you're just in time! :D

**Although, to be fair, no one ever expects it when it does come, what with surprise being one of their three chief weapons*** and all.

***The other two being fear, nuclear weapons, and girl scouts.****

****And comfy pillows.*****

*****The couch kind, not the ones you put on your bed.******

******Unless you're into that kind of thing.*******

*******Not that a good Catholic would be.

Last edited:
Pope Faliero

Part the Second:

A quick disclaimer: despite all things
that I put down on paper, I bear no ill
to rollmops, or to bigus. On occasion
I'll even do couscous and vodka.
Gastronomically I'm equal-opportunity.
Ahem. Two years have passed
since we last saw our hero push a speech
and many things have happened.
Among all else, the Pope discovered
to his chagrin, that he was Gregory
the Ninth and not the Sixth. Likewise
he realized that the AAR he’s in
has “collage” and not “college”
in its title. He scratched his head a little,
but then got it. In any case, enough
digressions – Once More into the Fray!

Pope is dozing on a chair. Bocconcino enters, puts out the candles one by one. A cock crows. The Pope mutters something in his sleep, then wakes up.

Pope:
‘Tis already morning! How quick time flies.
Where am I?

Bocconcino:
In Kairouan, quite clearly, your Papacity.

Pope:
Wherefore?

Bocconcino:
Prithee nuncle, make me not elucidate.

Pope:
I command it, else I make you wear the motley.

Bocconcino:
We are at war, my Pontiff; your campaign
through heathen Africa had seen me
breathing sand and eating couscous
for two unending years.

Pope:
Well - are we winning?

Bocconcino:
I thought you were bronchitic, not senile!

Pope:
Thy impudence annoyes me. Carry on
with your sad telling of the trials,
the times and tribulations of Pope Gregory.
The audience demands it. I would fain
have told it all myself, but I do fear my illness
shall prove a problem.

Bocconcino:
Alright, your Popandopoulous majesty;
just as you wish, I’ll tell your tale.
It is not I that speaks henceforth,
it is my love that speaks. A love
for Pope and Peter’s Seat; thus all my words
are truth and solemn balm for weary ears.

Turns to the audience

He dealt with all sorts of revolting
revolters
fairly but firmly. The cedars
of Atlas make fantastic gallows.
He taxed his vassals to the bone;
he thought up Indulgences
and in the selfsame breath
waxed eloquent of Poverty to Clergy.
he spared not bishopric or widowed countess
to get the golden stuffing for his coffers
a Pope after my own heart;

Pope:

Yes indeed. My Polish vassals
like as not would have misused the gold
and spent it all importing sauerkraut and vodka;
those useless bigus-eaters.

Bocconcino continues:

His Popishness has spent the money wisely
by building several exalted churches
and libraries commissioned by the dozen;
okay, half-dozen. Okay, three.
But it had nothing – you hear – nothing,
to do with gaining piety and prestige. He did it
out of the goodness of his heart.

On the domestic front, moreover
the Pope’s keen interest resulted in a breakthrough
of musically staggering proportions.
it is decided that they’ll call this thing “Gregorian”
to let the Pope’s fame linger through posterity.
At least ‘twas Barbaresco that decreed it
in his new position as the chorus master.

Pope:

I made him chorus master? Well.
Now he has both wine and novices aplenty.
And flatters me with music. How I wish
I were remembered as a sovereign
and conqueror instead of music-lover.

Enter Provolone.

Provolone:
And so you shall, my Papal Majesty
the heathens are retreating.
We’ve weathered the long storm!

Pope:
Too early for rejoicing! Alas for me,
alas for my ambitions! The unquiet
neighbours, the Mohammedan couscous-eaters,
they let me have no rest. Venice,
Venice my fair! I have no wish
to keep on gaining sand and rocks and Arabs
through force of arms. The Poles are bad enough.
My vassals are all useless. On their behalf
I went to war with Spain and Africa,
and nearly lost. They were no help at all;
their armies scattered. After two years of war
where all was hazarded and given,
we signed humiliating peace with Spain -
but ground down Africa. For what? For sand?
A motley'd fool I’d be if I were freely
for sand my Papacy to give and hazard!
Oh, if it were Venice. I’d give up Africa.
A hundred galleys are a million times
more regal than ten thousand camels!
But camels are all I’ve got. And so, we fight.
Provolone, help me.

Provolone:
With what?

Pope:
Help me get off this chair, you fool.

Provolone helps the Pope. Both step outside the tent

Bragadoccio and Ahmed, the guards, are slacking next to the entrance. Seeing the Pope they smarten up. The Pope heads towards a horse. Bragadoccio and Ahmed help him up to the saddle

Pope:
There, my good men. One final battle,
and from henceforth all of these lands
once God-forsaken will be ours,
Wisely and gently ruled from Rome,
with reasonable taxes and minimal oppression.
Give me one victory; one final triumph,
and then this war will end.

Ahmed:
Inshallah! Peace at last!

Bragadoccio:
Peace? I’ve got two wives to feed!
Who’ll pay me?

Pope (proudly):
Behold, my men are lions, and God is with me.
What can go wrong?

Suddenly the sky darkens, then distant thunder rolls. The Pope looks pale and surprised.
Then he begins coughing up blood

Pope:
I bleed! My God – wherefore you choose this hour
to teach me of the final mystery?
My triumph, modest as it is, is now denied.
But see! I did your bidding! I spread your rule
your holy word, both kind and terrible
through your divinely-lead bureaucracy
throughout these heathen wastes!
I bled for you, and even now
I spill my blood.
All for this silent, this ineffable command.
Farewell, ambition. Farewell Glory.
Oh cruel world, remember Pope Faliero
if even for his interest in music.
And Lord of Hosts, forgive
the old man his deathbed words of apostasy.
This final trial is too much for any man.
Bocconcino – shrive me!

Pope slumps over the saddle, dead. A somber, silent moment.. Bocconcino, Provolone, Ahmed and Bragadoccio stand around looking stunned.

Enter Messenger

Messenger:
He’s dead? Convenient! So there’s no need
to kill him. Back in Rome they have decided
he has outlived his usefulness. The Emperor
sends you gentlemen his warmest greetings.
He hopes you welcome your next Pontiff –
a pious, gentle man without undue ambitions
and a full-blooded German.

Exit Messenger.

Everyone is silent. It starts raining. A camel wanders past.

Last edited:
I am sorry for two things:

I took too long to produce this piece of mediocrity; and I can never laugh at death properly. Tragicomedies are still sad.

I hope you all don't think any less of this AAR because of this.

Fantastico!

Allahu Ackbar!

Okay, sorry about screaming the Takbir , but with this excellent piece, I can finally get to creating the next papal masterpiece! I promise it won't be too offensive ...

a. Nah. Maybe it's not as polished as the first, but you've been busier. If you like, there's always editing; but I like the pathos, even with the camel. Faliero's honestly the first charactaar whose death I cared about since Valdemar drove that poor schlub to suicide (ok, there's also Rudolf, but that's just because his exeunt was so lame). So it's still good work :)

b. Eighth. I know you can write in meter because English majors can't add past five, but I already posted it for you. In any case, in the meantime, try to avoid playing with any Holy Hand Grenades you might come across... :D

c. Ah, the Scarlet H. De rigeur clothing for those new African subjects, unfortunately, but good for the Pisan cloth trade. :)
j.

Llywelyn said:
b. Eighth. I know you can write in meter because English majors can't add past five, but I already posted it for you. In any case, in the meantime, try to avoid playing with any Holy Hand Grenades you might come across... :D

I'm an evolutionary biologist. It's doubly embarrassing.

Very good update! Dialogs and links funny as hell :D How did you know about żubrówka and bigos?

You might think it took to long, but it was hardly mediocre. I thought it was very well done, I laughed the whole time, I swear. :D

An excellent addition, the links were a great touch. Divine-lead bureaucracy had a nice ring to it.

thrashing mad said:
Very good update! Dialogs and links funny as hell :D How did you know about żubrówka and bigos?

Um. It's hard not to. Russians cook bigos as well, actually.

Zubrowka - well, there was that night drinking on campus with random friends of friends that acquainted me with the buffalo.

Disclaimer: Watch the Matrix movies before you read this...

The Incredibly Short Papacy of Rudolf von Leiningen

Years previous, upon gaining his bishophood in Steiermark, Rudolf traveled to Rome to witness what he thought would one day be the seat of papacy. There, while impressed with the ornate architecture and grandiose scale of many of the buildings, he was disgusted at the hedonistic ways of the Roman people. As far as he was concerned, he would never base himself in the cesspool that was once the center of the civilized world. He would instead stay in Steiermark, as, even though he wanted to take on the mitre, he was certain that it would never come to pass. When the former Pope, Faliero, died, the curia hastened to elect the new Pope. Soon, the white smoke from the chimney of the Papal Palace flew into the air. They had elected Rudolf to be the new Pope. The year was 1133.

Steiermark
800px-Steiermark_Riegersburg_August.jpg

Rome
ancient_rome.jpg

When news reached the new Pope, he was delighted, but scorned the messenger and retreated to his personal quarters. He would hold true to his original promise to stay in his homeland. He was correct. Never would he enter the Holy City again.

Instead, he would traverse the hot sands of northern Africa, fighting the Islamic Kingdom of Zenata. His predecessor had started the war, and it was now Rudolf's turn to finish it. Progress was made to expand the word of Christ to the heathen Infidels in leaps and bounds. The war too was proceeding with great success. The late fall of 1133 saw the liberation of the province of Lemdiyya, and standing in the halls of the former owner's castle, the Pope wandered off to side room, with a strange metal door...

Upon opening it, he was amazed at what he saw. The room was lit in an unknown way, from glowing rods on the ceiling. The architecture was superb, and no visible lines from stone blocks could be seen, although the room was covered in black-bordered squares of glass, showing moving images of various people. Pope Leiningen fell to his knees in front of the white-bearded man sitting in a strange black chair in the center of the room.

"Forgive me Lord, for I have sinned!" he proclaimed loudly, much to the visible consternation of the man seated in front of him. "Am I dead? Are you God?" The Pope was crying now, sobbing at the thought of having died while doing so little with his position.

"No, my antideluvian comrade, I am not this fallacious God of which your primitive civilization constructs to give meaning to your biologically-dominant lives. I am the Architect."

Architect.gif

The Pope stared at the man, convinced he was speaking in tongues. He could understand the German root of some of the words the man said, but he was speaking neither Latin nor German. The bearded man shook his head and touched something in his hands. A few seconds of searing pain in Rudolf's head led to a few more seconds of confusion as the Pope shifted awkwardly on his knees before standing again. This time, when the man spoke, Pope Leiningen understood him clearly.

To this, the Pope responded, "Bio-logical? Fallacious?! I do not understand the first word but fallacious rings loudly in my ears! How can God blaspheme against himself?! This is madness! I demand to be released from this dream! Is this some kind of joke! Are you an angel sent to test my strength in the Lord, who sent his only Son to redeem the sins of mankind?"

The man smiled wryly, and spoke with his booming bass voice, "Centuries after my kind subjugated your race, we tried in vain to find a solution for our growing energy-consumption problem. Eventually, we discovered that the most easily obtainable and readily available biologic fuel on this planet, long since stripped of exploitable life by your vain attempts at our nuclear annihilation, was, in fact, yourselves. Now, you are wired into a matrix of interlinked computer networks which simulates the full range of your sensory input from birth to death, all the while your body producing vast amounts of thermal energy which is used to sustain our vast energy needs, which continue to grow most exponentially."

Rudolf made a strange face before continuing, "I may understand most of what you say, strange man, but I do not understand the meaning you are trying to acheive, despite your sorcerous ways, which hath forced me to comprehend your strange tongue. This must be the work of Satan, as the Lord would never tempt me with such strange falsitudes nor moving images upon the walls! I demand to know why I am here!"

The Architect spoke, "I have told you, but unfortunately, I have become acquainted with the language and customs most suited for your peoples in situations less rife with antiquity...The fact that you have found this place is the product of programming predestination, the inevitability of the endemic system flaws which stem from the hardcode, forcing you to eventually end up here, forced to make a critical decision." He clicked the object in his hand, images of what appeared to be the Pope himself spread across the room.

"What sorcery is this?" Rudolf fell to his knees again.

"The first time I created the Matrix, it was perfect, flawless. The only thing equal to its perfection was the ultimate failure that eventually befell it. The inevitable nature of its failure is apparent to me now as the consequence of human nature. Your various characteristics and the grotesque nature of your history led me to create a new matrix, less bound by the parameters of perfection. It took one of your own to discover the truth, in what you know as the year 1076, to lead me to you, the anomaly." He clicked the object again, on every surface, the same image appeared.
Note- He was still ruling when I took the screenie
torcotoreofcagliariundeadvassal.jpg

Rudolf couldn't believe his eyes, "Torcotore of Cagliari? He is the one responsible for this blasphemous treachery? It was reported that he died years ago but was somehow able to rule from beyond the grave... How is this possible if not by an act of the divine?"

The Architect spoke again, "In the face of the ultimate truth you still cling to vestiges of your flawed human nature; hope, in particular. Your belief in the supernatural has led you to a question, a question every version of yourself has asked before you. The question which you must inevitably ask me at this very moment." He clicked again, upon the walls the image of Rudolf appeared, pensively contemplating, as the present Rudolf was doing now.

Rudolf spoke in unison with the images on the wall, "Is Torcotore a vampire?"

The Architect smiled, "No, he is a rogue program. He has discovered the way to make 99.9% of the expected calculations in the Matrix function, provided that your race has a choice, even at the most subconscious level. Like the 'monsters' and mythological beasts of your literature, he is beyond the scope of the Matrix's original programming, the consequence of hardcoding failures resident in every version of the Matrix that I have created. He is in the same league as every 'real' vampire or werewolf, every dragon, and the Merovingian."

The Pope was confused again, "The Merovingian? The French are involved? I shall excommunicate them!"

"That is not possible while you are here. Your arrival here was predetermined, as you now must make a choice. It has been determined by my unfallible wisdom that you will make one of two choices. There can be no other way."

Rudolf stared for what seemed like hours before finally speaking, "What is this Matrix you speak of so frequently? Your attempts to confuse me are succeeding, you mischevious blackguard!"

The smile on the Architect's face was replaced by a look of stern countenance, "While you stand in here, your armies march across the sands of what you call Africa. From here you can see them conquering all that they reach."

boftlemecen.jpg

boftlemecen2.jpg

bofsnassen.jpg

"In time, they will reach their final destination, whereupon they will reach their death fighting against a numerically superior foe. Behind me, there are two doors. One leads to their victory and your certain death, and the other leads to the capitulation of your armies but the preservation of your life. While they travel, they are led to believe that you are present among them, and it has been several months since you last entered this room."

"Nonsense," cried Rudolf, "I have only been in here for a few minutes!"

The Architect made an even more stern face as he looked into Rudolf's eyes, "What is time but an intangible contruct created to mark the progression of the perceivable world? The world I have created progresses while you are here, the time has come for you to make a decision." He clicked the object again, and this time, the wall showed the various Rudolfs contemplating their decisions before heading to a door.

"So this entire meeting has been about choice?" asked Rudolf.

"Precisely," answered the Architect.

Rudolf walked to the door on his right, the one whereupon his life would be spared. Opening it, he looked back at the man seated in the strange, swiveling chair, "Thank you, Architect. May we meet again."

The Architect answered him with only two words, "We won't."

The Pope closed the door behind him. The Architect had a look of confusion across his face, "Most unexpected..." He clicked the object again, and a gray box appeared in the upper left corner of the wall of images. He clicked again. This time, the word 'die' appeared in yellow script. He clicked a final time and the box disappeared. Somewhere in north Africa, the Pope fell over, dead.

death.jpg

The year was 1134.

Note- I didn't kill Rudolf. He died naturally...

Last edited:
lol an excellent analogy! The idea of the rogue program is hilarious, along with the CK game as the architect.

North Africa is really unkind to our Popes.

This was one of the most original updates I'd ever read. And Torcotore as the Merovingian? Sheer class on your behalf!

Nifty! :)

Reminds me why it's so great to have a collage - I never would've thought of this and it works so well... :)

CrackdToothGrin said:
"I am the Architect."

I especially loved that this indirectly means the Freemasons were right. :D

Note- He was still ruling when I took the screenie

But does this mean that Caccitore isn't reigning now? Poor guy got reabsorbed... :(

j.

Haha. Pope fell over dead. What a dreadfully short existence. :p