• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Olaus Petrus: You know, it is either me or Corfu... I suspect the reason why I get elected is because I got zero BB and no warfare so far. The benefits of Emperor is declining :( with everyone eating each other. That next King is using it ;) :D

Chief Ragusa: Yearly I think, I think it will be even more so when compared to other countries ;) I am not planning to gain a CoT. Well, Electors are crazy brunch but it is funny for sure :)

Duke of Wellington: Truely, as long I can do it just right, I should hold the Imperial title until end of time.

Btw, thank you for reading it. Here the next update ;) :D

Jean_II_Chypre.gif

Six: Reign of Amalric III (1519-????)
Holy Roman Emperor, King of Cyprus, King of Jerusalem, King of Armenia

Amalric III is similar to his father apart from military affairs. He has no desire for war and hence prepared to be at peace and prosper throughout his reign. Indeed, he kept on sending merchants to other center of trade.. On 1520, the craftsmen figured out how to build cathedrals across the Kingdom but Amalric decided not to build them until all three islands are true follower of Roman Catholicism. Three years later, they also figured out how to build courthouses as well. The non-existent army however was happy to have ability to build these cannons which can speed up siege quite adequately.

Over reign of Amalric III, his merchants gained control of Samarkand, Ile-de-France, Alexandria, Astrakhan and indeed, all center of trade in known world.

In spring of 1527, Amalric granted the trading company the exclusive rights to traffic wines in Cyprus. The monopoly was exchanged for a lump sum payment. It is sufficient large enough to fund missionaries in Crete to convert them to Catholicism.

Knowing that his descendents will fight war for the Holy City, he reformed the army to include Janissary Infantry and Spahi Cavalry. New advisor was hired by the King to explore production for his realm.

Happily for Amalric, Crete converted to true faith on 1529! The people of Rhodes are last stronghold of Orthodox Church. The Emperor turned his eyes onto them, gathering his coins to convert these people. Indeed, by beginning of the year of 1532, he literally stripped his Treasury so he can throw hordes of missionaries at the island of Rhodes.

Meanwhile, Murtada Vylka whom was hired by last King literally died of boredom when there are no more marketplaces to conquer, but luckily, an Army reformer called Paris Melissinos was called in to improve the army’s skills for a war in the Holy Land.

merchantarmyreformerhx9.png

There has been great progress of improvements along the whole aspects of the Kingdom so by 1533, he innovated his Kingdom. There was widespread celebration across the Three Islands when Rhodes converted to True Faith in 1534. Shock and dismay speeded around the Court when David Losonci hit the bucket.

All three Cathedrals were built as sign of new hope among citizens of the Kingdom. One of the greatest actions Amalric done is on 1st March 1539 he established National Bank of Cyprus, a central authority for financial matters. They will have better control over the economy. Softly, the incomes just can be made without making any inflation meant Amalric built marketplaces and courthouses on all three islands by 1543.

Paris Melissinos in 1542 discovered the way to improve the fortresses but Amalric laughed as he dismissed it, after all, who could attack them? He sent out spies and scouts to gather information that hold the Holy Lands and discussed strategies to conquer them. The news is disheartening as the Mamluks ruled vast empire in comparison to three tiny islands out on the sea. However, Amalric is the Emperor and currently ruling third richest country in the known world.

Hence, the Kingdom prepared for war as they take it day by day. It took shipyards two years to build four Flytes and two Caravels. By 1545, the King started recruiting Spahi Cavalries. Twelve regiments of elite horsemen were ready three years later. God smiled down on us as Saint performed a miracle. We are truly blessed.

Then… Amalric is ready for war, everything is in place and will go to war when enemy holding the Holy Lands are weakened. On that very day, the Kingdom of Cyprus went to war to reclaim her birthright.

mappymappywc9.png

Last edited:
Best wishes in your creation of the Cypriot Fortress! Whether that fortress consists of ramparts on the land, or citadels on the seas, remains to be seen, of course! :D

Great work!

Rensslaer

Yes I can imagine becoming Emperor as Cyprus came as a bit of a shock. There is something to be said from staying out of everyone else's squabbles.

Good luck with the conquest of Jerusalem. Crusader Kingdoms should be united once more.

Very nice and I am sure the manpower beneift of being HRE will help tremedously. But I must admit, I am thinking the HRE just isn't working quite right if you can gain HRE without being in it nor trying to pay off the electors (if you did, I missed it.) It seems to me it should be more difficult to not just gain the title, but to keep it. And one of your advisors has been at it for 80 years! :eek:

The Kings of Cyprus were knights and princes of the Holy Roman Empire.
Trade and climate are excellent factors for long life.

Look at who the Electors are and it is not surprising they choose Cyprus. it is one messed up Empire.

Rensslaer: :D Well frankly, I want all coastal provinces from Karaman to Gaza. it is going to be hell on my stability though with all these different cultures if I win that it...

Stnylan: Yes, a serious shock :( Mind you there should be a way to refuse it but as it is, I need all the help I can get. :)

Olaus Petrus: I hope so, as I explained above, taking over Karaman to Gaza and then converting them to catholic :)

Duke of Wellington: Well, you don;t need armies if you not going to fight in the first place. Here my theory why ihaven;t been attack, I haven't got any neighbours, it is possible that other powers don't notice me but rather their neighbours. But that is just my take on it.

As for Cathedrals, well, in game, it is called Temple which provide -5 stability. I just figured that temple is just a wrong word to use.

coz1: An amazing help indeed. allowing me to run an army five time bigger than if I was on my own. I didn;t really do anything sadly to get it :wacko: But it is lot better me than my rival... Corfu!

Chief Ragusa: :eek: well, will add that somewhere in my next post.

Will play the war tomorrow and see how it go. ;)

Cheers

Sap.

Last edited:
Cyprus as emperor, that is really impressive and great work. Now you seem ready for war and to go and liberate and conquer Jerusalem for your king. Looking forward to see how the war works out, great progress.

Lord E: Yeah, I was rather impressed myself but even more so when I became Papal Controllers while sacking Cario.

Novea: Not sure what you mean.

Here the hints, I am still writing it up...

Jean_II_Chypre.gif

The Cypriot Crusades

The Cypriot Crusades was launched in 1549 by Emperor Amalric III of Cyprus with the stated goal of capturing the sacred city of Jerusalem from Muslims. What started as a conquest of Jerusalem and the Holy lands quickly turned into a wholesale conquest of long lost territory of ancient Crusader states. Soldiers from the Holy Roman Empire and Kingdom of Cyprus, with Emperor’s leadership, traveled by the sea towards Jerusalem and captured the city in 1550. The Cypriot Crusades was a major turning point in the expansion of Cyprus’ power.

Background:

The Cypriot Crusades is series of wars waged by Cyprus to recover Holy Lands. The first war is with the Mamluks. Islam I, ruler of Crimea has marched into Beirut and sieges it to take more lands from the Mamluks once more while at the same time, he launched an attack on Gaza. If the Holy City will fall to yet another Muslim power, the attempts to restore the City to rightful owners lessen. So Emperor declared the war upon the Mamluks on Sunday 13th January 1549. Mamluks gave up the lands of Jerusalem, Gaza and Beirut six years later after over 5,000 Cypriot deaths and 20,000 Mamluk death in battles.

Great victory. You used your enemy's weakness wisely and doubled the size of the Cypriote Empire. This opens opportunity for new conquests and conversations.

The Cyprus crusades sounds like they went very well. Great news that you have managed to liberate the Middle East, look forward to hear more about the crusades and more about Cyprus. Great work :)

Olaus Petrus: Yes, lot of conversations, ;) the Holy City will be cleaned of heathens.

Lord E & daemonofdecay: Thanks :) Here it is.

Btw, thank you for reading it. Here the next update :):D

Cheers

Sap.

PS: I got this very nice event: Conquest of Jerusalem :eek: throw in Emperor and Papal Controller's benefits, my Prestige is RISING! :eek:

Jean_II_Chypre.gif

The Cypriot Crusades [/i]​

The Cypriot Crusades was launched in 1549 by Emperor Amalric III of Cyprus with the stated goal of capturing the sacred city of Jerusalem from Muslims. What started as a conquest of Jerusalem and the Holy lands quickly turned into a wholesale conquest of long lost territory of ancient Crusader states. Soldiers from the Holy Roman Empire and Kingdom of Cyprus, with Emperor’s leadership, traveled by the sea towards Jerusalem and captured the city in 1550. The Cypriot Crusades was a major turning point in the expansion of Cyprus’ power.

Background:

The Cypriot Crusades is series of wars waged by Cyprus to recover Holy Lands. The first war is with the Mamluks. Islam I, ruler of Crimea has marched into Beirut and sieges it to take more lands from the Mamluks once more while at the same time, he launched an attack on Gaza. If the Holy City will fall to yet another Muslim power, the attempts to restore the City to rightful owners lessen. So Emperor declared the war upon the Mamluks on Sunday 13th January 1549. Mamluks gave up the lands of Jerusalem, Gaza and Beirut six years later after over 5,000 Cypriot deaths and 20,000 Mamluk death in battles.jac

Crusader Armies and Fleet:

Royal Army of Cyprus:

4,000 Cavalry

The Royal Army was created in 1205 by Hugh I to protect his Kingdom from enemies, recruited purely from the catholic population of Cyprus. Depending on the need of Crypus, it can be nothing more than palace guards as precedent kings before Amalric shown or to large army during the Cypriot Crusades. It is always personally led by the King. During the Crusades, it was led by Emperor Amalric then Emperor Jacques III after 1551.

Royal Army of Crete:

4,000 Cavalry

However, the King’s need of such large armies cannot be sustained only by island of Cyprus, so the High Court, feudal council of the Kingdom in 1545, decided to vote on creation of second army whom can be recruited from islands of Crete and Rhodes. It is always personally led by the Constable of Cyprus. During the Crusades, Constable Peter Rendis whom sadly died a day after the peace treaty signed.

Royal Army of Rhodes:

2,000 Infantry
2,000 Cavalry

The sudden requirement of another army came about with the peace between Crimea and Mamluks. Created by 1553 and successfully recruited a year later. The army is unusual since the funds were almost non-existent thus the use of infantry. After Damascus fallen to the army, it mostly worked with Imperial Army in the last running battle against Mumluks all way to Diamientia.

Imperial Army:

4,000 cavalry

In 1548, as the Holy Roman Emperor, he appealed to the Reichstag for soldiers in which he can use for his aims in the Holy Lands. Miserably for Emperor, the Electors laughed it off as some silly dreams except for one man, Johann VI; Elector of Brandenburg who is devoted to God actually believed Emperor could do it. Consequently he sent some of his cavalry to support the Emperor in his Crusades. It was led by Margrave Eusebios Bragadin von Brandenburg who was appointed as Marshal of Cyprus by Emperor in thanks. Eusebios Bragadin died on 18th Apirl 1553. Spent most of the war guarding the Holy City of Jerusalem and got dubious privileges of killing over 8,000 enemies in one battle.

Royal Fleet:

2 Caravels & 4 Flytes

The Royal Fleet does not have a well-defined moment of formation; it started out as a motley assortment of "King's ships" during the Middle Ages, assembled only as needed and then dispersed, began to take shape as a standing navy during the 16th century.

The list of active ships during the Crusades:

thegreatwarshipsmv4.png

Chronology

1549 – First Victory and First Defeat

The Royal Army of Cyprus was already on sea with the Emperor by the time Delcartion of war delivered to Cairo. The messenger came back with news of great laughers from the whole Court. How little they knew that by the time, the Crusade against Mamluks finished, three rulers already sat on the throne of Cairo whom tremble at the sounds of hymns from Cypriot soldiers.

In the beginning of the war, 'Abd al-'Aziz II and his two armies suffered large defeat in Beirut at the hand of Islam I, ruler of Crimea, retreated to Jerusalem when suddenly 'Abd himself found under attack from superior soldiers from the Kingdom and Empire led personally by Emperor himself. Eight thousands Cypriot and German cavalry charged up directly into five thousand weakened Mamluks and the carnage was too terrible to be described as only one-fifth of Mamluk soldiers survived the battles, fled to Damascus. On other hand, the combined strength of Army of Cyprus and Imperial Army suffered only a loss of a thousand and half.

The armies settled down for a long siege of the Holy City. Army of Crete arrived a month later, bringing the total force to 12,000 soldiers ready to enforce Emperor-King's commands. At that moment, Emperor suffered bout of overwhelming pride as he sent Imperial Army to follow Damascus and execute that heathen ruler. Margrave Eusebios overpowered with pride marched to Damascus without any thought to what kind of enemies waiting for them. A very well-prepared army waiting for them.

The battle was short as Eusebios lost over one thousand men to 'Abd as his army routed to Beirut. Another army waiting who would love to wipe them as well, Crimeans who is also fighting Mamluks. Happily for Margrave, Islam I, seems to follow old saying, “Enemy of my enemy is my friend” told him by messengers that they would not attack them as long Mamluks still standing around. Relief spread through the whole army as Germans spotted the Holy City and armies surrounding it. Meanwhile, a Crimean army was destroyed in Gaza, leaving possible route for Amalric's army to march through.

1550 – Fall of Jerusalem

He took a chance to improve his armies' quality by drilling and maintaining disciplines among the soldiers. The effort to capture Jerusalem yielded some results over the winter as the great wall was breached and as if from God's sign he approved the war, the Holy City then surrendered and fell into Amalric's hands. Meanwhile, Crimeans managed to capture Beirut and Damascus.

Leaving the Imperial Army to take care of J, Amalric marched his two Armies to Gaza on 1st Feb 1550 and attacked the enemy and won. The shock of defeat killed ‘Abd and new Sultan rose to the throne, Qayit Bay I who was then also defeated in two days later. They settled down and in mere few months, Gaza fell to Catholic hands. Even more surprising and remarkable luck for the Emperor, that the rich city of Alexandria was taken by surprise by Crimeans' landing, which literally made new Sultan pulled all his armies out of Levant to protect more vital core of his realm.

Battle of Gaza:

KofC: 6614 (Royal Armies) C: 370
M: 4000 (2nd Army) C: 1085

Two day later

KofC: 6244 (Royal Armies) C: 3
M: 2000 (2nd Army & Qayit Bay I) C: 567

With Gaza and his back safe once more, Amalric marched for Diamientia while Peter Rendis took his army to Sinai which fell on New Year eve.

1551 – Fall of Cairo

The new year bought some pleasure to Amalric as Diamientia surrendered with Royal fleet blocking the harbor. When a very simple agreements to give up Gaza and Judea was amazingly refused. In rage, he led his two armies into bloody conflict with under 6,000 Mamluks whom one third died under sword.

Battle of Cairo

KofC: 6362 (Royal Armies) C: 341
M: 5916 (2nd Army) C: 2077

Infamously, during the siege, Amalric was laughing loudly as his armies surrounded the city when a bird fell on his head killing him. Shock and dismay shook the whole Kingdom and her Armies, however, new Emperor-King called Jacques III took the throne. Finally, Cairo fell to his soldiers in Ocotber. Jacques III knew Mamluks was now beyond any hope of winning the war as Crimean army marched into Delta, north of Cairo. To his dismay, they refused once more to give up any lands to him. So while Jacques waited for any surrendering message from Mamluks. Peter marched his Army to Sawhaj, south of Cairo and besieged it.

1552 – Crimea signed peace with Mamluks

Every month, Jacques demanded his price, and Mamluks replied with a simple no. As if in act of spite, on September, the Mamluks gave up the province of Delta ending her war with Crimea. Suddenly, Jacques' advantages disappeared in smoke as provinces bordering the Holy City suddenly free. Yet, it is not all bad new for him as Nile fell to looting soldiers as well.

1553 – New Army born as Imperial General died.

Knowing that Mamluks can use them to launch attacks on his back front, he sent order to Cyprus to raise another large army, no matter a price. It is conveniently named “Royal Army of Rhodes. Peter and his Army marched onto Asyut and systematically wiped out an army.

Battle of Asyut

KofC: 2894 (Royal Army of Crete) C: 26
M: 1193 (2nd Army) C: 1151

Sadly, news reached Jacques that Margrave died quickly as he was shot accidentally in hunting trip. Otherwise, Peter captured Asyut in October and marched onto Darnah.

Battle of Darnah

KofC: 3068 (Royal Army of Crete) C: 265
M: 2142 (2nd Army) C: 1796

Emperor heard from a scout that an enemy army sent to Asyut will arrive soon, hence, two regiments left behind at Cairo as he rushed to Asyut to defeat this army led by Qayit Bay while Peter sent two regiments in support. Before the enemy army arrived, Jacques was there smiling at the enemies.

Second Battle of Asyut

KofC: 3475 (Royal Army of Cyprus & Company of Crete) C: 350
M: 3000 (5th Army led by QBI) C: 807

1554 – Sunset of Mamluks

Royal Army of Rhodes led by newly appointed Marshal Paris Crispo arrived at Jerusalem on springtime, along with Imperial Army, they marched onto Damascus to destroy last real army.

Second Battle of Damascus

KofC: 7800 (Imperial Army & Royal Army of Rhodes) C: 1883
M: 12000 (6th Army & Yusuf Ali) C: 8407

Hearing that the 6th Army marching toward the Holy City, leaving behind the Army of Rhodes, Paris and his Imperial Army marched to Beirut to crush the rebels. After long battle, the fortress which already suffered under her rebellion now do so under warring enemy. Meanwhile Jerusalem is besieged by the army who retreated from Damascus.

Darnah fell to Peter at last and so urgently the danger of losing the Holy City that commander of the Army of Rhodes ordered full on assault on the fortress and so it fall on September. Victorious Army then marched to Beirut and joined with Imperial Army and marched onto Jerusalem a month later. New Sultan called Timurbugha then rose to throne in Alexandria and led the Sixth Army in Jerusalem charging into ranks of German and Cypriots cavalry.

No accounts existed as in numbers but what is known that the enemy lost. Army followed and fought running battle with the Timurbugha’s army and destroyed in Diamientia. Timurbugha fled the battlefield and went to last stronghold in Alexandria.

1555 – Dawn of the Second Kingdom

Timurbugha bowed and agreed to give up Gaza, Jerusalem and Beirut. Peter Rendis sadly died on 26th January, a day after the peace treaty was signed. And so after six long bloody years, peace reign over the Kingdoms. Ever since August last year, Emperor also became Papal controller, therefore, he bought the Pope to Jerusalem. Pope opened the box and took out the new golden crown. He lifted the crown and placed it on Jacques' brow, then bowing his head.

And that how the Jacques came to the true throne of Jerusalem. On that day, he stood on the summit of the highest mountain. All the Christendom's glory spread below him.

waroverwithholylandgv1.png

Very nicely done indeed. The Lusignans of old, I a sure, will be proud.

Excellent crusade! The prestige is well earned. And you should have made some good headway in tradition as well.