• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Mike von Bek & Duke of Wellington: Wait and see, I am mostly following the stats. if he got great military and god awful :)() Admin, then he will aim for military dream. Same as other way around.

Fiftypence: It is crazy but happily, some time later, Austria rebelled but Portugal still own half of old Austria. Just explaining his replacement.

Stnylan: :D I just want to be left alone but military King want to conquer these islands. :cool:

coz1: I was thinking just the same :) It is also shame that I got string of awful Admin but nice military Kings :eek: I will still pray for good Admin.

Olaus Petrus: You are right, any war happening is going to be in serious trouble for me :D

Btw, thank you for reading it. :) Here the next update.

Jean_II_Chypre.gif

Three: Reign of Jean III (1465-74)
King of Cyprus, King of Jerusalem, King of Armenia

As the celebration occurred to mourn the old King and to celebrate the new, the Kingdom of Crete freed itself from Venice and currently fighting combined might of Venice and Genoa. But Venice is fighting a war against Portugal and very badly losing. In time, Venice lost Corfu and Friuli.

Jean had spoken of attacking Crete and take possession of it, miserably for him, Treasury is empty. If he can’t invade some damn island, he certainly can show off his trading empire. Enraged, he sent off merchants to Andalusia with a dire warning not to come back without profits. When educated people came up with better way to make profits, he ordered them to find way to improve the naval technology rather than trading.

navalimprovementzx7.png

In the year of 1567, as noble families were declining in force, merchants began to emerge as an economic force. The Bourgeoisie class has grown increasingly resentful of the power of noble families and particularity their lack of opportunities in the higher ranks of government. At this stage, it currently made up 87% of all King’s revenues, King Jean knowing that the merchants becoming even richer decide to grant them privileges. It improves the trade tariffs of the Kingdom except that noble families were most disappointed with their ruler. Two years later, in his dream of conquering Crete, he decided to focus more on naval matters. Already unhappy with King’s attentions on merchants and sea that nobility object in strongest term causing a small instability across the island. It took three years for King to lastly calm down landed gentry.

A strange story has reached Cyprus concerning something called “New World” beyond the Western Sea. Cypriot merchants even met these strange merchants called Creeks in Andalusia. On 1471, Jean expressed joy when educated people told him there is a sufficient expertise to blockage the port. He was about to declare war upon Cyprus before told there is no money in the Treasury. He decided to wait until he gathered enough coins to purchase a Cog. After two years of saving his money, he finally paid his shipwrights to build a Cog. Construction of the ship took six months. At last, height of the summer, he named his ship, Lempa. Now he needs a Galley.

While he was strolling around on his brand new ship, Lempa, he suddenly tripped over a rope and then ship's mast falling on him shattered his head. But the dream of conquering Crete has not shattered since Jean IV is almost exactly the same to despair of the people.

Last edited:
You're lucky that they revolted away. Conquest of Crete shouldn't be too difficult and because it's an island it doesn't create troubles with the continental powers. :)

Colonisation of the New World might be a good strategy for a trading empire. Colonies bring income and pagans are easier to defeat, even with very limited resources. ;)

Sounds like you might hope to take Crete in some year’s time then. I guess you need a galley to protect your Cog first, but then you can send your army to Crete and show them that you are the one supposed to rule them. But seeing as your finances aren’t great I guess you will need some years to get enough money…

Olaus Petrus & Grundius: The conquest as you predicted is easy, too easy for my liking but that the way it work. I acutally got bigger than that :) Low Admin is pure nightmare when your merchants get kicked out in dozens :(

Lord E: Aye and a shock when hard earned cash got sunk. :eek:

Duke of Wellington: Happy ending for his son :D

Btw, thank you for reading it. Here the next update. Bit longer this time since it is 23 years long

Jean_II_Chypre.gif

Four: Reign of Jean IV (1474-97)

In spite of death of last King, the dream of conquering Crete are still very alive in the heart of new King who bore the same name and indeed, same abilities. While ever poor King waiting for enough coins to gather in always empty Treasury’s strong room, the craftsmen finally re-learn the lost ability to build small fort.

At the new year of 1475, King finally ordered a new galley to protect Lempa. It still took six month to build it. However, barely a month later, merchants of different ideas in regards to trade clashed and small factions supporting either cause would emerge causing ruptures. Jean IV was most displeased seeing private feuds fought between merchant houses stepped in and supported mercantilist faction by simply exiling free-trade merchants to sea.

At last, the war galley was completed during the height of summer. Jean named it Pomos after his dog. He got his own fleet, now he needs an army. It took three years to gather enough precious coins for it. He decided to hire Yaya Infantry instead of his own people. He organized a separate standing army of hired mercenaries paid by salary; most of them are Christian soldiers.

cryarmykingfd7.png

Finally in the eyes of Jean on 1 March 1477, everything was ready, the army and fleet are ready when suddenly a great man, Jean Tocco has died. Court was in mourning for man who masterminded the government of Cyprus. In Jean’s honor, the King went aboard his fleet and sailed to Sea of Crete along with his army which he leading personally.

During that journey, the grand Duchy of Lithuania inherited Kingdom of Poland, Jean IV sighed as he knew that no one outside his family will be ever inherit it. The law forbids any member of Royal Family to marry outside. Back at Cyprus, educated people once again found more way to improve trade tariffs.

On their arrival, what Jean seen made him smiled, several fleets of Venetian ships stood outside Crete in revenge that Crete still embargoed Venice. As far he can see and his spies report, Crete has no army to defend themselves, in spite of rumors from Cyprus that Kings’ desire to conquer Crete. With the fleet in sight of Crete and army aboard them, King Jean IV sent a small message to Crete’s ruler that they are at war with the great Kingdom of Cyprus. People back in Cyprus grumbled that King act without cause of war.

warwarcrypussf2.png

On 17th April, the King’s Army laid siege to Heraklion, capital of Crete. On 14th September, the Crete finally fell to Jean but the fleet of Crete fled and straight into unprepared fleet with no real leader. The galley was destroyed and Lempa was only survivor of the battle while enemy fleet suffered no losses. Incensed with his loss of galley he paid for; he got the ruler of Crete and executed him in front of the whole army.

The war is over with recognition of Jean’s rule over Crete, leaving King’s Army in Crete to ensure any insurgences will be crushed; Jean went home with a hero’s welcoming on 1st November 1477. His eyes swelled up with tears as he glanced at brand new map with Crete same color as Cyprus.

eastermedcrypusnewconqumd6.png

He got back into business hiring new man called, “Ulug Muhammad Qutughqan” With such a long name, no doubt he will be able to handle complex matters of government. New merchants were thrown at Andalusia to ensure same level of trade like at Vlaanderen and Lübeck.

newgovereryz4.png

Some years later, shipwrights now know how to build a type of ship called Barque but Jean have no desire to build any more ship after losing his own pet, Pomos. As matter of fact, he wants to keep going and attack island of Rhodes so he can rule the western Mediterranean Sea but the loss of his ship prevented that dream into reality.

However, the landed gentry see a chance to improve their own income and presented on October 1584, a plan that will increase taxes by building a workshop in Cyprus. Jean refused to build it since he doesn’t have any coins to spare. A notable event occurred on end of the year in France with inheritance of Lorraine by King of France extending inroad into Holy Roman Empire. Finally after long hard fight in Andalusia, Cypriot merchants finally gained control of the trade in it.

With Crete bought into power of the King of Cyprus, Jean decided to improve on naval policy once more like his father. However, he is feeling his age and once again desire to see Rhodes annexed, hearing the news that Rhodes do not have any forces on the island itself in spite of large navy in the port. Knowing he might be doomed, he then declares war upon the Knights Hospitaller of Rhodes. On first February of 1486, he led his force onto the island itself. Lempa learned the lesson from her battle with Crete fled to Crete a mere hours after King landed. The surprise attack have led Rhodes to garrison their walls and asks for aid from it allies, Teutonic Order and Wurzburg. Happily for the King, these realms are too far away to send any real forces although it amuses Jean to see declaration of war from these allies. After 221 days of siege, Jean was faithful to core and instead of mercilessly kill every Knight on the island; he let them go with honor to the west. On 8th September 1486, the island of Rhodes is part of the Kingdom of Cyprus. Barely a month later, seeing that Rhodes fallen, her allies made peace with her. His dream is satisfied, the only thing left to do for her Kingdom is to return and reclaim her true honor as Kingdom of Jerusalem.

rhodescretecryusalltogesy3.png

With peace returned to Kingdom among all instability in all three islands, King attempts to maintain trading links as other states attack Cypresses merchants ruthlessly as if in revenge for wiping out the Order. A fleet from Teutonic Order arrived, no doubt to prepare for invasion for when the truce expired. In spite of Jean’s love to go out and give sound beating, he is no fool and merely content to watch them.

The year of 1489 was an exceptional yearn with excellent business environment, good harvests were once in a while a blessing for the Kingdom’s tax base; generating higher income for the realm. Jean decided to take advantages of these benefits at once with spending it on workshops in Cyprus and Crete. Two years later, shipwrights also advanced their ability enough to build a Caravel. So many things Jean would love to build and no money! Another two years, Kingdom of Cyprus has access to same troops as other Eastern powers such as Azab Infantry which Jean upgraded to it with irregular light infantry based on Rhodes to ensure they stay at peace.

Ulug Muhammad Qutughqan sadly died from stress and old age in 1494 and merchants kicked out at alarming rate, trade tariffs lessen as they faced with pure reality, war is bad for trade. Finally, after 23 years of ruling, King Jean finally died, happy in knowledge that he conquered other two islands in her sea. One day, ruler of Cyprus will reclaim her ancient birthright. Jacques II, rose to the throne with high skills and ability in all aspects. (all 9!)

Last edited:
Good expansion and nice improvement in naval technology, if only you had more gold then no one would be able to stop Cypriote naval power.

Excellent - and its always nice not to be a one-province nation! You are certainly getting very well placed to dominate the Eastern Med.

Your great king may have come a century too early for you to gain real benefit. If you can secure Alexandria and its CoT from the Mamluks you will be doing well indeed.

That's an interesting looking Transylvania. Potential allies for when the Ottomans come sniffing.

That was a rather successful riegn, I should think. Both Crete and Rhodes conquered even with the loss of poor Pomos. On to bigger and better things. :)

Nice read,

Can I ask why you invest in Naval Technology so much?
I'm guessing you do that so that no-one will be able to get troops to your island, but in my experience even if the enemy has a large fleet in a sea-area; I'm still able to land my troops.

That king did very well I think, getting all the three islands under the rule of Cyprus. But I think the next king will need more ships, if you are to defend your island empire you will need a fleet, also to march on Jerusalem I guess a large army and a larger fleet to ferry it is necessary…

Forum is acting strangely. :confused:

Duke of Wellington & coz1: Thanks :) It was riskly but I was luckly enough in my enemies' choice of allies and remarkable lack of foresight where army are concerned for these island states.

Olaus Petrus: True, but I need gold to do other tasks. As for military, well, not much done at the moment with next King.

stnylan: Yes, it is good feeling when your provinces become core provinces and your yearly taxes goes up. Cyrpus will dominate the Eastern Med, of that, there is no doubt.

Chief Ragusa: The next King got a hallmark of one of the greatest of all time in the Kingdom's history ;) As for Alexandria, that won't happen since it will hit my chances for merchants surviving in all these CoTs coming up.

As for Alliances :), I am using two House rules ever since the game, no Alliances and Royal marriage at all. :cool:

RMXtreme: Well, I am playing these Kings by their stats, great military and lousy admin meant I will focus on apporiate tech, same for other way around.

Lord E: Don't worry about that :rofl: At some point in very near furture, what can boost land force limit from 6 to 35 regiments? :cool:

Btw, thank you for reading it. Here the next update. I truely enjoyed my playing this King.

Jean_II_Chypre.gif

Five: Reign of Jacques II (1497-1519)

In comparison of other earlier kings, he is well-skilled in all aspects of ruling the Kingdom of three islands. Knowing that people in Crete and Rhodes, he disbanded all his forces, he even set Lempa afire personally. Jacques ordered his educated people to find ways to develop his realm even more rather than military. In a short time, they found a found to build refinery which will improve Cyprus’ wines but the cost of doing so is far too expensive. Soon after, a tragedy stuck the Court with death of Henri whom personally masterminded the rise of Merchant Kingdom. It will take a decade for Jacques to find suitable replacement; even then, David Losonci is pale shadow to Henri.

newwayiy7.png

Once again, Jacques favored naval policy which boosted trade and such on the turn of 16th Century. He managed to restore all trade links which been lost during the war and aftermath. The island of Crete fully accepted Jacques as their new ruler and will fight to death for him. Novgorod got new merchants from Cyprus as well and merchants finally can get monopolies on the year of 1503. While they were there, they heard of rich trade center called “Samarkand”, their master merely made note to go there at some point.

The King’s outfall with nobles were finally on the mend when nobles demanded representative national institutions which Jacques were more than happy to give causing more damages to his Royal power.

Sometime later, a workshop was built on Rhodes to boost very poor income. Control of Novgorod gained on 1505, Venezia on 1509, Lisbon on 1513, and Thrace on 1516,

On Sunday 21st July 1507, the privileges of the nobility have been under continuous assault as merchants have attempted to gain more and more control. The nobles have finally lost their patience and storm the Palace, demanding that they are given back what they believe is rightfully their. Jacques II just ignored their demand causing disorders throughout the three islands which last for whole year. During that time, small shipbuilding company designed better transport than a Cog. It is called flyte. Unsurprising, they used it to launch an attack onto one of the noble’s island where they finally massacred hated catholic noble family. Wretchedly, it seems that a cousin of that dead family thought it was Bela Bethlen that behind the attack and killed him in front of Jacques II. Needless to say, Jacques II was most displeased with situation and stepped in to re-establish the peace. To improve numbers of merchants, he hired Murtada Vylka.

merchantsmerchantsyj6.png

Meanwhile, on Crete at 1508, the religious difference and high taxes have caused unhappiness among citizens of Crete. King knew he cannot quell the full revolt on island far away, so he lowered the taxes on Crete for whole year. Seven years later, after seeing the benefits of living under Kingdom of Cyprus, they pledged their faithfulness to King. Five years later, the company which designed Flyte came forward with plan for Naval Equipment Manufactory except Jacques rejected it on the ground of cost.

On 19th September 1514, the College of Electors consist Utrecht, Tuscany, Modena, Provence, Switzerland, Mecklenburg and Bohemia elected Jacques II as new Holy Roman Emperor. The newly elected Emperor almost died of shock when he opened the letter declaring him as Emperor. The benefits of such title became painfully clear to the King as people wanting to support the Emperor increased vastly and he now capable of maintain an army that is literally impossible in the first place.

After several years as Emperor, he became glaringly aware that all his lands are Orthodox. If he is to become true Roman Catholic Emperor then his people must convert to True Faith. Using all the gold in his treasury, he sent out missionaries in his own heartland, the island of Cyprus. He also then gave more power to merchants to ensure that gold will keep flowing into his coffers. Contentedly, on 22nd December 1518, the population of Cyprus converted to Catholic.

Few months later, the Emperor wrote out the National Trade Policy to strength commercial presence and increases the efficiency of Kingdom’s trade. It gave great boost to his trade revenues.

The strain of ruling the Kingdom has proved to be too much for old King. He died peacefully in his sleep passing his Royal Crown to his son, Amalric III who skills are almost good as his father but his strategy and tactics leave something to be desired. The College of Electors most impressed with Emperor’s actions which is not to raise a finger about the Empire's direction, they unanimous voted for Amalric.

Never in history of the Kingdom had that people themselves become so rich in such a short time.

vasterincomecr2.png

Wow. You were elected to emperor twice. What a lucky thing. I hope that next king will find way to use these resources wisely for the future benefit of Cyprus.

That is one one wierd body of electors; only Bohemia survivedofthe original 7.What happened to the others? Annexed? Congratualtions on becoming Emperor.

You have a seriously rich country. That is yearly and not monthly income isn't it? How much extra would your own CoT give you?