• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(21085)

Meddler Supreme
Oct 24, 2003
Visit site
Jean_II_Chypre.gif

One: Reign of Jean II (1432-1459)
King of Cyprus, King of Jerusalem, King of Armenia

It is the year of great sorrow as the great city of Constantinople finally fallen to the Turks. Let explain about the situation of last Crusader Kingdom in the Mediterranean Sea. Ever since the Guy of Lusignan purchased Cyprus from Knights Templar whom themselves bought it from Richard Lionheart. When he died, his brother, Amalric then received his crown from Holy Roman Emperor at the time. And so, the Royal Dynasty of Lusignan then rule the Kingdom ever since.

The news that Constantinople fallen shook Jean II to core, he went round the bend. In his unholy desire of gold which in his mind, will hire greatest hired armies to recover Jerusalem from evil demons. Regardless of all complaints from officers in his army and fleet, he disbanded his entire armed forces to prevent any more coins on them. Needless to say, with great and terrible threat from these Muslims states literally next door, most of them if not all questioned that decision but the sudden death of some most vocal resistance put to end to these comments.

percentageoftradekc5.png

His hope to augment his income, he begun favoured the naval aspect more in his policy for his Kingdom. The educated people who desire to explore strange ways that benefit their realm were pleased to find the King more pleased to hear their unusual requests. Trading part was focused more than any other aspects.

Henri Fadrigue and Jan Tocco hired at great expense then went on to improving trade and governing aspects. There are no doubt these great men have great effects on course of Kingdom.

greatmenofcourthc2.png

At the beginning of the year of 1455, since Jean is now primarily naval oriented, the commander of recently disbanded army begged his ruler to consider a possibility of having a real army and invests more into it. He famously replied, “The fleet is Cyprus’ Castle.” The commander was in explicably distress when he was thrown into sea wearing his full armour. Finally at the end of summer, with the advice from Jan Tocco and in line with Jean’s plan, he chose Shrewd Commerce Practice. This allows Jean to make use of more sophisticated trading practice giving his merchants the upper hand over his competitors.

The people of Cyprus finally recovered from their dismay in following year. Jean told his small group of merchants to trade at the richest marketplace in known world. They immediately went onto their ships full with their wines and set course for Vlaanderen in Low Countries under rule of Duchess of Burgundy Marie I. Merchants from Cyprus literally making great money in Burgundy. Many time Treasury emptied to bride other merchants to trade with them.

On 8th April of 1459, he died at age of 41, ironically falling on rather sharp mast of his son's toy ship. The later history will record him as Jean II the Idle Merchant. In spite of all his troubles, he dragged his land of poorness screaming into era of naval prosperity. The recent research has shown that trading at his death made up two-third of total revenues. For this reason, people of Cyprus knew him as first in long line of the Merchant Kings. The next King is Henri the Third who even expanded his father's dream further.

Nice start. : )

So you are to be a trading power. Interesting way to show the first Cypress AAR. Looking forward to this.

Good luck playing as Cyprus. I think you'll need all the luck you can get.

Sapphire said:
On 8th April of 1459, he died at age of 41, ironically falling on rather sharp mast of his son's toy ship.

Very nice start Sapphire. My compliments.

Best of luck mate.

Very nice start, and certainly an interesting nation. I think focusing on naval is very clever, that way you can stop all invaders before they reach the island and defeat them on the oceans instead of having to battle on your own soil.

Sir Humphrey: I agree, I acutally thought someone will attempt to annex me once I disbanded the army and fleet. To my surprise, no one did. :( :)

Fiftypence: Yeah, especially with my very long term goal of capturing the Holy City ;) So far, Mamluk is still a power to be reckon with. Still got long way to go...

HoldFast & coz1: Afterward, AAR based on trading is rather unusual since some like to conquer the whole world under the heaven or rping Beside, it is nice to see how Europe react to each other and unusual inhertiances.

Garuda & N Katsyev: Aye, I need all the lucks I can get to not be at war with anyone at the moment.

Maharaja: :eek: Kongo? That is even more harder I would guess.

Singleton Mosby: Thank you for your comments :D

Olaus Petrus: Developing economy is not the problem, it is the small matter of Ducats! I often stare at that zero sum most of the year.

Duke of Wellington: Thanks for reminding me :) Keep up a good work

Lord E: Aye, I am focusing all the way to naval before moving other sliders. It will certainly expand room for ships. I can only maintain 2 ships at best, others have dozens to throw at me. :(

Mike von Bek: World power? :) I doubt it but Trading power surely! I got dreams to restore Kingdom of J

Btw, thank you for reading it. :) Here the next update.

Jean_II_Chypre.gif

Two: Reign of Henri III (1459-65)
King of Cyprus, King of Jerusalem, King of Armenia

In comparison to his father, he is much less effective in military than other aspects, happily for his kingdom, that wasn’t a problem at all.

The news from Holy Roman Empire often traveled slowly to Cyprus but even they were surprised to see Duchy of Bavaria inherited by Elector of Brandenburg. In spite of these news, it pale in comparison that Albania was occupied by the Turks. Remarkable enough, Transylvania actually annexed Serbia.

Needless to say, let return to the topic of the Kingdom, in the year of 1459, traders found better way to improve their profits. On spring of following year, the merchants of Cyprus finally got good share of trade at Vlaanderen.

Meanwhile an event happen that shook the core of Holy Roman Empire, Duchy of Austria got inherited by Kingdom of Portugal. Henri shook his head in amazement as he begun to see what can happen to his own Kingdom. He forsaken any Royal marriages with other realm, he chose his queen from Greek population of Cyprus to ensure that no one will ever gain the throne from outside.

With Vlaanderen safely in hand of his merchants, he then turned his eyes on bigger prize, Lübeck in Mecklenburg. Early in 1462, Henri Fadrigue asked the King to let him to hire a man called Filip Drascovic to help him with increasing complex matter of trade, Henri contentedly agreed to it.

tradersallbx7.png

However, later in the year, the chronic drains on state’s treasury to boost trading and research made Henri powerless to enforce ordinance. Such enforcement depended on the local governments that would not always be as vigilant as Henri would have desired. Without any fund to support his ordinances, he decided to let his nobles and town governments to handle it. Unsurprising, it led to decentralization of the Kingdom to such extent that it is virtually impossible to make more decentralization. Nobles and towns waged their own private feuds as monarchs watched them unable to stop them. Although there is one side benefit of it, surrounding towns managed to unite against Genoese occupiers who controlled Famagusta since 14th Century. The great city and port of Famagusta, which Sir John Mandeville thought the finest in the world, finally restored back to Kingdom of Cyprus.

In spite of Royal power slowly dilapidated ever since, the King Henri III still maintains iron-fist control over foreign and financial affairs. A shocking matter hit the Court as Filip attempts to murder his master, Henri whom was then abruptly executed out on the port. On that very same day, a ship arrived carrying the newest guest at the Court, Bela Bethlen who is expert in naval technology, Henri knowing that ships will be vastly more useful keeping enemies away from his coast happily hired him. In the very same year of 1465, merchants managed to achieve same control over Lübeck.

navyevenjk1.png

Sadly, Henri suddenly dies when an accident occurred involved with large ceramic filled with wine and something special dosed with it. Even sadder, his son, Jean III is even more stupid if possible concerning administration but he is certainly good with military and diplomacy. It is only a shame that there is nothing for him to play with. History did show that Henri III in spite of all his efforts improving the wealth of his Kingdom, he is still known as Henri III the Drunk Merchant.

Portugal inheriting Austria?! That's pretty crazy. Was that bit where Filip tried to kill your king an event, or was it just a way of explaining his replacement?

A very quiet start, buy Cyprus cannot expect to be left alone for ever.

Rather a handy hire as you lose the King with good admin and gain the one with good mil skills. Might as well use the time to boost army and navy tech. You never know when you'll need it. ;)

Coffers of the kingdom seem to be nearly empty, so I doubt that Cyprus can maintain large enough invasion army and fleet to attack against anyone stronger. Attacking against some minor could also mean trouble, because that means that Cyprus would have to defend herself on continent too in the future. But then again isolation can't last forever.