• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
You really need at some point longer period of peace, so that you can focus on technology. Lacking behind too much will make you vulnerable in the future.

In March of 1501, one of the events many have expected for years has come to pass…

Tuscany’s declaration of war against the Papal States demonstrates their continued ill will toward law and order, not to mention due deference to the Pope.

TuscPope.jpg

I could jump into this war right away, but we have no obligation to do so. Milan is recovering from many years of war, and is trying to move to a more economically satisfying status. War would not be helpful at this time.

Cynically, we will wait and see what happens. We have what we want – the casus belli against Tuscany generated by our warning, and their subsequent abusive behavior. We will use it at a time of our choosing.

Venice, unfortunately, has joined against the Papal States, honoring her alliance. This is something worrisome. I had hoped they would have more sense than to join against the Pope.

Perhaps they will require our attentions in the future as well. I needn’t warn them, or otherwise generate a casus belli against them – we already have one, by nature of their possessing a core province which rightfully belongs to Milan.

But we will, here also, choose the time and place for that conflict.

CreteRebels.jpg

On an interesting side-note, I think our annexation of France’s Mediterranean ports is already showing fruit as a good idea!

Crete, as shown in the screenshot above, is now in the hands of rebels. And France apparently lacks the “sea legs” to relieve the island! By removing her nearby ports – the ones she would use to supply and relieve the island – we’ve increased the difficulty of supporting them. A French naval vessel would have to brave far more attrition at sea just in order to get to Crete – no saying how well things would go once they got there. And if they were unsuccessful, then these same ships would have to traverse the long sea-route back home again!

I am briefly cheered… Then I remember that our truce with France has ended… I cast a suspicious look at that border.

Later, I am forced to contemplate why we have associated ourselves with a dog who will bite just about anyone…

BrandHung.jpg

((sighs)) Okay, well… We wanted an alliance with a powerful country – someone who could provide military backup against France. And we had hoped to gain some leverage against Austria. Now we have that!

Brandenburg is now our ally and, by nature of their having dishonoured their alliance, the Austrians are NOT! Now Brandenburg is a 100% bonus for our side in any war, whether it’s against France or Austria.

This alliance is now more important to us than it was before. Therefore, there is never any question. We accept and join in this war, despite the fact that we are supporters of Hungary as a bulwark against Ottoman aggression.

This is a land-grab, pure and simple. Hungary has 3 provinces near Brandenburg that they want. The Hungarians can’t reach Milan, by any means, so we are safe – this is a low-level conflict for us, in which we do not much care at the outcome.

We could choose to end the war right away – we are, after all, the new alliance controller. But I honestly wouldn’t mind seeing Brandenburg grab those 3 provinces. They are largely incidental in Hungary’s fight against the Turks, and a more powerful Brandenburg helps us against Austria in that coming war.

Nations1502.jpg

Fortunately, at the end of 1501, we could claim to have improved our economy so that we are again among the first-ranked countries of the world. Just a little effort and concentration was all it took, it appears.

I hope that because you are in war against Hungary none of your enemies get the idea that now is good time strike against you or Brandenburg.

Your economy seems to have recovered pretty quickly from the war, do you expect to make quick progress on province improvements and tech research?

The Florentines are certainly doing their part to keep your BB down in the long run. :D

A shame that you're drawn into another pointless war, but... it's not like it really matters that much, for reasons that you've pointed out. I too cheer for Brandenburg for the same reasons you do - the help vs. Austria will obviously be appreciated.

I look forward to your future vassalization or annexation of the other Italian states. I suspect their fates have been written. Milan shall control Italy, or no one will!

Only 7% inflation? I'm envious since mine, as Sicily, is around 23% and I haven't fought half the wars you have. :wacko: Still looks like you have some work cut out for you to get Aragon out of Sicily. I think I'll have a go at them in my game and see if I can kick them out before you can. :D

Joe

Those bloody Tuscans declaring war on the Pope, it is time to teach them a lesson soon. But first you can allow for Brandenburg to grab more land, having a strong ally is always very nice. But then you should start building up your forces and teach Tuscany a lesson…

Reformation.jpg

What’s this??? A Sienan bishop has challenged the Pope’s leadership of the Church! :eek:

And the Prince of Siena has converted to this new heresy, which apparently already has a large following in Cyprus.

Bizarre. This can’t last long.

But… Before the year was out…

MantuaProtestant.jpg

We don’t have money to deal with this!

Then…

OccitainRevolt.jpg

A revolt in Dauphine!

We don’t have money to deal with this! At least we do have troops…

Ack!!!

Genuflecting.jpg

Just as we’re trying to cope with the rebellion in Dauphine, something awful happens. Whereas the Papal States had been holding the Tuscans off in previous months (you can still see the Papal soldiers besieging Firenze), Tuscany has abruptly gained control not only of Romagna, in the east, but also of Rome itself!

This can’t be good. If we don’t do something, a settlement will surely be close behind. Besides, we’re about to lose our casus belli on Tuscany, which was caused when this whole thing started up…

I use the month of January, 1502, to prepare – cancelled military access with Tuscany (someone should have thought of that earlier!) and increase military maintenance (and I was wondering why we hadn’t cleaned the rebels’ clocks!). :rofl:

Chief Ragusa said:
Ouch! Protestantism, revolt and tuscans in charge of Rome. Declare war and all will be made right.
Yes! Clean up Italy! Muahahahaha!!

Ahem. I've been making too much of a habit out of that however therapeutic it may seem.

Ouch, a lot of bad things are going on. I say hurt Tuscany, but not too much...you want them to suffer. ;)

Finally caught up, absolutely splendid AAR Rensslaer the wars against France and Aragon were very good and exciting keep up the good work and good luck in your future wars against familiar and new enemies.

Of course - it is questionable to what degree the Hungarians are now precisely a bulwark against the Ottomans. A rickety fence, maybe ;)

Definitely time to teach Tuscany its lesson.

Well, when it rains it pours as the saying goes. Now you just need France to jump you when your back's turned and you'll have a nightmare scenario. Hope the AI isn't as Machiavellian as I would be! :p