• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
We're not playing this saturday but next week we will be, I think both me and Skarion have to go somewhere.

Next week I might not be able to play, which would be terrible given the AI will just mess up my nice arrangements. I have a concert that Saturday night. It might be Friday night, and I might be able to change it even if it isn't, but if not, I might not be there.

Sid Meier said:
We're not playing this saturday but next week we will be, I think both me and Skarion have to go somewhere.

Now he tells me! I certainly thought we were playing this week. :(

I've noticed this quite a bit since I've gotten involved with Eternal Struggle ( mostly because I scan for the word 'Struggle' and see this instead.) Its wonderful to finally see the despotic, feudal, militaristic Norway I've only dreamed of. I'd be interesting in joining in next Saturday, if only to get a better story as to what actually happens. I'd like to just play a minor, but if the carfully re-orged British fleet will become undone I'll do UK just to keep things intact.

...Just to make sure this is 9:00 pm CST (Central Time) Saturday, right?

If it turns out I can't play this Saturday and you do fill in for me as the UK, Rannos, would you mind if I give you a few instructions via PM as to what to do (primarily with the fleets)? Just because since I'll be playing it in the future and I already have my plans as to how to reorganize and reform stuff, it would help.

ya sorry KoM, I'll be there this saturday though, and radek, i returned his power cable.

Rannos, we would be delighted to have you, either as a sub for Phoenix or as a permanent player for Spain. Unfortunately, there really aren't any minors left, they've pretty much all been annexed; you can play a four-province France that's a puppet of Belgium, or maybe a five-province Colombia surrounded by Spain, or a similarly sized Laos that's just waiting for China to grow larger. Honestly, though, I can't say I recommend it unless you really want to be a spectator. Go for Spain and be a Great Power with a real shot at world domination!

Glad to have Radek back with us; if Phoenix and Rannos are both able to make it, we could even have a full roster. Truly, a splendid prospect! I feel inspired to write an AAR installment, although right now I'm at work and had probably better not.

I don't think I'm going to be able to change my plans. I have seats in the centre of the first row of the mezzanine - the place where famous people/the governor-general sit in theatres in more prestigious cities (don't get me wrong, it's a damn good theatre, but most famous people don't attend things in Kitchener. Toronto and Ottawa steal them all) and by this point if I switch the tickets for Friday night I will probably be in the nosebleeds.

So that being said, is there any chance the game is not taking place this Saturday? And if it is, is there any chance you could play as little time as possible? I'm really excited about this and I'd rather not have the AI/someone else take over the UK (no offense intended, Rannos).

I would really prefer not to cancel two weeks in a row; truthfully, I would have preferred not to cancel last week, as nobody who was going missing was at war, but since Dano's and Radek's presence depends on Blayne's, well, that only leaves me, which is not so great for an MP game.

I understand that you cannot very well change your theater plans at this late date; is there any chance we could work around them by moving the game time? Could Sunday morning (evening for you, I suppose) be made to work? Or perhaps Saturday evening, fairly late, so as not to be too unmanageably early on Sunday morning for you?

All else failing, we've generally been getting one year per session, so we would probably be some distance into 1939 by next week, which I think is not too horrendously impossible to play? The issue of AI-mismanaged fleets is a nasty one, I admit; if necessary, I could volunteer to do them over again, saving you from having to perform that chore twice.

Hang on a moment. You mention Kitchener and Ottawa; this is Canada, right? In that case, is it a morning performance you are going to? I'm a little confused, because the game time is 7 to 11 in the morning, Pacific time, which is not what I usually associate with going to the theater. Hence my impression that you were on European time. Is it possible that there is a miscommunication here?

If Phonix can't go, I could try to play as Spain for a session, maybe. What happened to the Byzantines?

If Phonix can't go, I could try to play as Spain for a session, maybe. What happened to the Byzantines?

Some is playing them last i heard. Anyways, yeah havin you as spain would make things interesting to say the least, would you stay in the alliance, or would leave in hopes becoming a 3rd power with england? or join norway... so many choices...

also i would play if kom is there, if china isnt there he knows im gonna try and invade him lol

Last edited:
Wait ... in the morning? I thought it was at night Pacific time? If it's in the morning that ruins all my plans, because every Saturday consistently I have things I cannot cancel from 10:30 to 2:30, which would effectively kill my involvement. Damn.

I don't expect you to change the way you've been playing for (what, ten months?) on my behalf, and thus don't expect you to change the time you play on my account. I would've liked to take part, but ... ah well, c'est la vie. At least I reorganized the fleets for whoever takes my place.

I'm very sorry to hear that, Phoenix, but yes, it is indeed in the mornings. Ah well - as you say, such is life. Thank you for organising the Royal Navy for us, I'm sure it will be much appreciated by whoever takes over.

We'd be very glad to have you, Hannibal. The Byzantines are alive and well, with roughly their pre-Manzikert borders - Anatolia plus the Balkans south of the Danube, and some insignificant colonies. (As an aside, in a recent perusal of the situation I noticed to my surprise that Norway owns a couple of useless Pacific islands, which I acquired in a colonial trade with Byz that smoothed out some borders elsewhere, and promptly forgot about.) In the recent liquidation of Italy, they also acquired the eastern seaboard of the peninsula, returning the Roman Empire to its home for the
first time in more than a thousand years. The Eternal City, however, is in Burgundian hands. I can't tell from outside, but I strongly suspect that Skar has a serious problem with getting rares.

--------------------------------------------​

In speaking of the political parties of the Yngling Ting, it is worth remembering that these were not formal organisations with membership dues and a fixed voter base; rather, they were ideological or philosophical umbrellas, a convenient shorthand by which a candidate could identify his position on a few issues. There was no party discipline as in the British Parliament; Tingsmenn voted their conscience on any and all issues. Conversely, there was no question of party funding or backing being
required for an election; if you wished to stand as, say, a Radical, then you did so. The occasional attempt to game this system by splitting an opposing party's vote was held in check partly by the threat of retaliation in kind, partly by run-off elections between the two most popular candidates, and partly by that all-purpose Yngling check-and-balance, the duel. Nevertheless, the parties were just sufficiently
coherent that it was possible to speak of a government being composed of, say, Moderates. Each individual Cabinet position (including that of King, although as a lifetime position the kingship was a special case) was chosen by a simple majority of the Ting; a coalition, therefore, could be formed by horse-trading with several different parties, without binding anyone to support the government against a motion of no confidence. Like so much of the Yngling system, the parties had grown organically and worked more because people both believed that they did, and wanted them to, rather than for any intrinsic elegance or good design. With this in mind, we can examine the chief parties of the 1930s:

• Radicals: In a sense the oldest political party in Norway. Stemming from the loss of Holstein around 1700, Radicals stand for the most uncompromising formulations of Yngling mysticism. With their rhetoric of superiority, belief in the power of raw Will to overcome all obstacles (often accompanied, it is true, by a fanatic dedication to the discipline and training that make Yngling superiority a battlefield reality), and disdain for all strils as subhumans to be subjugated, Radicals are the caricature that foreign newspapers reach for when they want to present Norway in an unfriendly light. However, although the stril-hating, firebreathing Radical certainly exists, he is by no means a dominant force; the party draws its support mainly from conservative landholders in the backwoods of Scandinavia, where the realities of the industrial age have yet to penetrate.
  • White Christ's Army: Competing with the Radicals for the votes of backwoods districts, these are conservative Christians who strongly oppose the neopagan/atheist makeup of modern Yngling society. It's worth noting that the Yngling version of Christianity belongs rather more to the Old Testament than the New. It is a warrior creed for a warrior people, and if the truth were told, has always lain rather thinly over the old pagan customs. In spite of their name, it is the Lord God Jehovah of the Hosts, and not the gentle White Christ, that the Christians of Norway worship.
  • Ynglinga Lag: The party of the law-Ynglings, those former strils and their descendants who were made Ynglings in the aftermath of the Twenty Years' War. Although this averted a huge rebellion and civil war on top of the disaster of the Burgundian invasion, it could not give social status to factory workers and small farmers - only rights in law. A thousand years of hereditary privilege is not undone at the stroke of a pen, and the law-Ynglings still find that, in competition for army rank or business opportunity, they just aren't quite as good as the blood-Ynglings. Eventually, time and intermarriage will blur the distinction; but for now, the law-Ynglings organise themselves for advantage. Their name combines the old sense of 'lag', to mean 'law', with the new sense of 'association'.
  • Liberals: A tiny minority who want to give legal protection (as opposed to customary privileges), or even votes, to the strils. Usually, but not always, this is associated with a fairly peaceful view of foreign policy.
  • Moderates, a catch-all designation for pragmatic men who want to get on with the business of governing an empire, without necessarily steering it in any particular ideological direction. Naturally, this makes them something of an umbrella party, and they dominate most governments simply by virtue of being able to find compromises in all directions. Howeer, their share of the vote has been decreasing as the Ynglings seek ideological solutions to Norway's problems.

At the moment, the government is a coalition of the Moderates and the Ynglinga Lag, with the former dominating.

Last edited:
Inspired by Phoenix' example, I just spent an hour or so renaming divisions to "XI Hird Bergenshus" and "XVI Stril", and so on, and giving my ships proper names. :)

Sorry for not replying for a while, I've been quite sick the earlier part of this week. Since Phoenix is out of the picture and the UK is not open, I think I'll try to stick around to play as Britain (even though I sorta stink at the whole naval and air combat thing.) I just have a couple mundane questions first.

1) What time is 7 - 11 am in Central time? If I'm calculating right its something like 9 am to 1 pm?

2) What sorta files do I need to be up to speed? ie save games, leaders, etc.?

3) What kinda settings to you use that you manage to get in roughly a year in four hours?

Thanks and I'll probably see you guys tommarrow if I manage to get to my computer before everyone else or wake up on time.

I know estern time it is 10 AM, also I got my laptop setup in my room with my second router as a hub so I can play 2 nations WCS to keep Englands fleets being ruined.

ADAIK the game is:

0700 Pacific time
1000 Eastern time
1600 Central European time

See you there.

I believe it is indeed 0900 (that's 9 AM for you Americans) in Central time. Check the first post on the second page of this thread to find the files you need. I'm not sure what speed Sid usually keeps us at. You are most welcome to play the UK! :)