+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Last Sons of the Angevin Empire - A Provence AAR

High King (With Opposition) Brian Bóruma's Avatar
    200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    For The GloryHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2Rome: Vae Victis

Last Sons of the Angevin Empire - A Provence AAR

Mod: Praetor's more historical Provence minimod
    Start Date: 1/1/1462

Prelude

The Angevin Empire, that is, the territory ruled by the descendants of King Charles I of Sicily was once vast and fearsome. It included Hungary, Poland, both Sicilies, Jerusalem, part of Greece, and part of France.

Now, the lands held by the House of Anjou are limited only to the County of Provence, half of the Duchy of Anjou, the Duchy of Lorraine and the Duchy of Bar. Rene, the patriarch, was until recently the King of Sicily but was driven out of those lands by the late Alfonso V of Aragon who seized Naples for himself. Now, Alfonso's own succession has been left in question and the Catalan nobles in Aragon have called for Rene, whose mother was an Aragonese princess to take their throne. Without hesitation, Rene was more than happy to pour his armies across the French border into Aragon. He ceded the northernmost Aragonese territories to the King of France in exchange for the right to traverse through royal French territory, and continued on with his armies to virtually swallow up the Catalan kingdom. He captured Barcelona and moved on Saragossa, but an army led by his rival Juan, brother of the late Alfonso marched from Valencia to recapture Barcelona. He would have to give up the siege of Saragossa in order to save the capital.

The Story Begins

The Aragonese/Provincal forces under his command would win the battle, but sadly King Rene would not live to see the victory. He was struck down by an enemy blade and succeeded by his son Charles. The death of Rene emboldened Juan de Trastamara and his forces who, upon receiving reinforcements from Palermo, had far larger numbers at his disposal than did Charles. The young king, however, was not the standard tactician like his father. He engaged in fast paced battles and was able to get his forces to march twice as fast as most commanders thought possible. Everywhere Juan's main army went, Charles' entire force would be. After a war of attrition, and dozens of battles, the entire Trastamara army was either routed or captured. Charles, son of Rene the Good signed a treaty with Juan that forced Juan to recognize Charles, and not his own son Fernando as his heir. Juan also paid regular tribute to Charles and had to assist Charles in war.

It was a total victory for the Angevins, but sadly King Rene had not been there to see it. Feeling unsatisfied, Charles felt the urge to right the wrong of two decades before when his father had been removed as King of Sicily and Naples fell to the Aragonese. Now ruled by Ferrante, the bastard son of Alfonso V, Sicily was not subject to the treaty with Aragon, so Charles sent his armies into Naples and with minimal resistance took the southern half for himself, leaving Ferrante with the northern half and a similar condition that he pay tribute and name Charles his successor.

[Provence and her tributaries after the war with Naples]

Winning the Peace

Things would not go smoothly after the Neapolitan war. Calabrians had grown fond of the bastard son of Alfonso, as he ruled from their lands and spoke their tongue. Charles, on the other hand governed his Italian territories through a viceroy and found the Sicilian language to be barbaric. While there were no rebellions due to his tolerant policies, there was always the possibility for trouble, and he was forced to attempt to compromise with the local nobility that he intended to rule. It was much of the same in Aragon, although he did not hold any lands there directly and traveled under the protection of Juan. While visiting Aragon he received word that his brother, the Duke of Lorraine had died, leaving that duchy to Charles. It would be a sign of what was to come, as shortly thereafter Ferrante would be assassinated ironically by Sicilian radicals who had demanded he break his treaty with Charles, to no avail.

But for Aragon, It would be a full twenty years since his father had initially invaded before he would be crowned King of Aragon. When Juan died, his Castillian cousins invaded and placed his bastard son Enric on the throne. They took Saragossa for themselves and left Enric to his own fate. Within days his government was toppled and the Cortes invited Charles to be crowned their king. He would then have a similar ceremony in Palermo to be crowned as King of Trinacria before he formally reunified the two Sicilies.

[The Angevin Empire after Charles' inheritance of Aragon]

Wow, great start both in game and to your writing. This bears all the hallmarks of being a fun and interesting read. Count me in and good luck taking Provence to glory.

BTW could you please post about this AAR in the LibrAARy update thread here.

Blog Entries
    Good start. I will be following this for two reasons. 1. it looks interesting.
    2. I have started followind EU AARs to get a feel for the game. I have not played it and am thinking about picking up EUIII. So this will give me a good idea of what I would be getting into.
    Current AAR's: The Manchurian Candidate...on hold.
    Founder and charter member of The Warlord Club
    Fan of the week 02/26/07 & 06/04/07
    WritAAR of the week 03/12/07
    Character Writer of the week 07/15/2007
    Favorite AAR HOI1/2 Q2 2007
    Favorite Narative AAR HOI1/2 Q2 2007
    I was canonized on 03/18/2007 & canonized again 07/15/2007
    Honorary Fellow in the Tempus Society

"Gold does not always get you good soldiers, but good soldiers can always get you gold." Machiavelli

That's some really nice empire building there. Certainly an AAR to follow.

Did the succession deal basically mean that you simply diploannexed them in due time, or is it really possible in the game itself?
    Were the forty million years before thy coming intolerable to thee?

Not less tolerable to thee shall be the forty million years to come!

EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEU3 Collectors Edition500k club

Definitely subscribed! Good luck with this one!
    Bah weep graaagnah wheep ni ni bong!

Fighting the Boredom

Interesting idea - subscribed!

For The GloryHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions

Thank you all.

Quote Originally Posted by das
    Did the succession deal basically mean that you simply diploannexed them in due time, or is it really possible in the game itself?
    It seems there's a whole big random inheritance system, but I diploannexed all three. One thing that I love about EU3 is that it tells you the success chance similar to Victoria and HoI. I waited for the annex chance to switch to "Maybe", and gave it a shot.
    Dílis d'ár n-Oidhreacht.
    True to Our Heritage.

1 Clerk
    Nationality: Irish
    Religion: Catholic
    Ideology: Reactionary
    Issues: Moralism/Laissez-faire
    Militancy: 3 (+0.49)
    Consciousness: 8 (-0.64)

200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultFor The GloryEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    A very intriguing start. Nice expansion and interesting take on the game. Looking forward to where you go with this. Good luck.
    Northumberland Lives - new AAR for EUIV

And check out the Guess the Author thread - back and active!

The fAARq & Forum Rules
    Find all my AARs listed in The Ink Well

Visit my blog at Hear the Hurd

Do your future plans involve some crusading? North Africa looks like a natural target here, but on the other hand the Angevin legacy calls for you to take back Greece and Jerusalem.

Crusader Kings IIDivine WindHearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeRome: Vae VictisEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Bóruma
    The Angevin Empire, that is, the territory ruled by the descendants of King Charles I of Sicily was once vast and fearsome. It included Hungary, Poland, both Sicilies, Jerusalem, part of Greece, and part of France.
    I don't know when, but when exactly did the Angevins rule Hungary and Poland? I hope you are not giving yourself a bunch of free CBs. Also, there were several families or dynasties that called themselves Angevins, that doesn't mean they were one family, it just meant that they came from Anjou.

Best of luck though.

200k clubHoI AnthologyEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiRome: Vae VictisEU Rome Collectors Edition
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubParadoxian Order - 2015

Very nice start, looks like this shall be an interesting story to follow. Looking forward to more.
    EUIII AAR: The lilies of France
    Awarded Best Character Writer of the Week 25. Feb 2007
    Awarded WritAAR of the Week 22. April 2007

HoI2 AAR: Enig og tro til Dovre faller – A Norwegian AAR
    Awarded WritAAR of the Week 25. Sept 2005
    Awarded Weekly AAR Showcase 25. Jan 2006
    Awarded Fan of the Week 26. March 2006, 7. October 2007 and 10. November 2008
    Boer War AAR: Joe’s War- a Boer War AAR

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Bóruma
    Thank you all.

It seems there's a whole big random inheritance system, but I diploannexed all three. One thing that I love about EU3 is that it tells you the success chance similar to Victoria and HoI. I waited for the annex chance to switch to "Maybe", and gave it a shot.
    This is something else that I found was handy. Or if there's a very good chance that they'll annex to you (aka Orleans with France) I recall getting alerts on that. Of course that was in the demo so....
    I've got Georgia on my mind - A CK2 AAR on the far reaches of Christendom...and who worships Ray Charles

A Sainmhíniú lann dar dáta Creidhne (The Vengeful Blade of Creidhne), an Irish AAR - A man with a mission, and a really big blade to do it with.

Don't recall Poland neither, but the Angevins who ruled Hungary for the greater part of the 14th century are definitely related to the Neapolitan ones.

Compulsive CommentatAAR stnylan's Avatar
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesFor The Glory
    Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandEU Rome Collectors Edition
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res Publica

Blog Entries
    So that makes the two major halves of the old Empire one. Great start.
    To view is human, to comment is divine.
    "Be not afraid" - John Paul II
    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.
    Current AAR: Stories of King Sean CK2 4.1
    Completed AAR: In Memory of France EU2
    View my full AAR list at The Inkwell
    My library and My blog
    Ask not what AARland can do for you, but what you can do for AARland.

Crusader Kings IIDivine WindHearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeRome: Vae VictisEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition

Don't recall Poland neither, but the Angevins who ruled Hungary for the greater part of the 14th century are definitely related to the Neapolitan ones.
    I went on wiki and it looked like that line was copied right out of there, without any fact finding. As for Naples and Hungary, how does that have anything to do with Anjou and Hungary, especially if the Naples Angevins were upstarts to the Anjou Angevins. Either way that wouldn't give them CBs on Poland or Hungary.

Quote Originally Posted by SonofWinter
    I went on wiki and it looked like that line was copied right out of there, without any fact finding. As for Naples and Hungary, how does that have anything to do with Anjou and Hungary, especially if the Naples Angevins were upstarts to the Anjou Angevins. Either way that wouldn't give them CBs on Poland or Hungary.
    I assure you I didn't copy+paste from Wikipedia. That's just my style (or lack thereof)

The arms Rene and his son Jean II used. Notice how they include Hungary. This is because through a series of several adoptions of one Angevin branch dying out and adopting other Angevins as their successors. Rene's adoptive grandfather Charles III, King of Naples reigned as King of Hungary for two years. It's a complicated situation, but trust me, I did my homework.
    Dílis d'ár n-Oidhreacht.
    True to Our Heritage.

1 Clerk

And Poland?

Cities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus Vult
    EU3 CompleteFor The GloryHeir to the Throne500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

I assure you guys that the Angevins (or Andegawens, as we Poles call them ) DID rule Poland for some time (1326-1399): the king Louis the Hungarian of Anjou and his daughter Jadwiga.

So, basically, he shouldn't have cores on Poland, since in 1453 it was still ruled by a descendant of an Angevin? Not to mention the fact, that if he has cores on all these past Angevin lands, then the rulers of the other lands should have the same claims on his land.
    Last edited by SonofWinter; 25-01-2007 at 21:23.

Aside from the lands held by France, I don't have mechanical cores on anything that I do not own. I'm just stating that the Angevins themselves believed they had a right to these lands. Whether I attempt to acquire them remains to be seen.
    Dílis d'ár n-Oidhreacht.
    True to Our Heritage.

1 Clerk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast