• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
piff133 said:
The fact that all major (and a good chunk of the minor) Catholic powers still remaining would never let that happen.
Quite some of the catholic countries in our timeline converted by own machine. Not accepting the reform would be equal to breaking with the curch, and the countries that in reality kept catholisism feel unlikely to break with the curch (Spain, Portugal, perhaps France). Besides, even if they would do so, they would have a hard time forcing the pope to back down.

You're still thinking in the biased way of our result of the reformation, that isn't nessesary to have happened.

This is true, but the church had power. The Catholic nations fed off of this power and used this power. If the pope converts to Protestantism, then the Protestant nations would likely feed off this source of power, and the Catholic nations aren't likely to be very happy with this. In the game, by 1533, the Reformation isn't likely to be more powerful than a Catholic alliance or even one or two major Catholic powers.

It would have led to a major, Europe-changing war.

Brunei decided that fighting Ming was too much.
BruneiinAfrica.png

EDIT: They ended up getting all of those provences that they occupied and a couple more in the peace deal.

It must be something about the people of the Indonesian islands that makes them go out and colonise/conquer new lands. :D

I noticed in the log it says that they annexed Mutapa as well.

piff133 said:
This is true, but the church had power. The Catholic nations fed off of this power and used this power. If the pope converts to Protestantism, then the Protestant nations would likely feed off this source of power, and the Catholic nations aren't likely to be very happy with this. In the game, by 1533, the Reformation isn't likely to be more powerful than a Catholic alliance or even one or two major Catholic powers.

It would have led to a major, Europe-changing war.
Well, even if it would have led to a major, Europe changing war, that is still within the possibiliy of the pope accepting lurthism. ;)

The problem as I see it is that you see the church as already split up, as two opposing camps who hatyes eachothers guts, which happened in reallity. The scenario I presented build on that this wasn't the case, and all ideas was still within the frame of Catholisism officially. By 1533 the ideas could possibly be brand new. What you seem to picture would be a scenario where every nation would have to activly convert to Lutherism, which wouldn't be the case if the pope did it for them. Acctually, they would have openly break with the pope to go back to old Catholisism, and they would be those who left the curch, not the Luthernas.

Anyway, that's OT. In fact, I might start a thrad about it somewere, it's an interesting scenario.

Snake IV said:
Well, even if it would have led to a major, Europe changing war, that is still within the possibiliy of the pope accepting lurthism. ;)

The problem as I see it is that you see the church as already split up, as two opposing camps who hatyes eachothers guts, which happened in reallity. The scenario I presented build on that this wasn't the case, and all ideas was still within the frame of Catholisism officially. By 1533 the ideas could possibly be brand new. What you seem to picture would be a scenario where every nation would have to activly convert to Lutherism, which wouldn't be the case if the pope did it for them. Acctually, they would have openly break with the pope to go back to old Catholisism, and they would be those who left the curch, not the Luthernas.

Anyway, that's OT. In fact, I might start a thrad about it somewere, it's an interesting scenario.

Except that's not what the screenie shows- the faith "Catholic" did not convert to "Lutheran;" just the Papal States. The Catholic religion continues in many other nations- and whom would their pope be?

A question for the original screenie poster: did papal elections continue after this? And of course it would be only catholic nations sending cardinals and thus electing the pope, so a bunch of Catholics would essentially be electing a Lutheran leader. :wacko:

Amob_m_s said:
Except that's not what the screenie shows- the faith "Catholic" did not convert to "Lutheran;" just the Papal States. The Catholic religion continues in many other nations- and whom would their pope be?
No, the game doesn't support this timeline, yet ;)

I started a thread in the history forum

Amob_m_s said:

A question for the original screenie poster: did papal elections continue after this? And of course it would be only catholic nations sending cardinals and thus electing the pope, so a bunch of Catholics would essentially be electing a Lutheran leader. :wacko:
I haven't played much father than that at the moment. Pius II (the one who became a Lutheran in my game) is still Pope. I don't know if this would affect the elections in the game or not.

From the same game as Brunei, and maybe not so strange, but still cool.
Itsgoodtohavefriends.png

It's good to have friends, even if you had to force them to be your friend :p

For more detail:
I'm Burgundy
Modena holds Lyonnais, Rouergie, and Porigord
Aragon has Toulouse and the one north of Gascone and west of Porigord
The Palatinate has Blois, Orleanais, and Champagne
Brandenburg holds the one north of Othe
Auvernge holds Limousin
Muenster has Caux
I was disappointed that Navarra didn't get into the fray.

Well here's one I posted in a different thread:

http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/7016/funjmk2.jpg

Notice who Austria is voting for. Tiny Orthodox tribal state in central Africa; I really, really, really hope they get the vote, even if it means I won't be Emperor anymore.

Trondheim said:
If you conquer all of France, you can become France. ;)

That won't be happening. Burgundy is Burgundy for a reason...to be the anti-France. As far as the result of that war, they ceded Normandy, Morbihan, and Languedoc to me and released Champagne and Finland, since they held all but one Finnish provence.

eu3screentz2.png

After the conquest of Rome by innovative, pro-Italian unification Milaneses, the Pope fled to Avignon. Protestantism was founded in the late 1500's in South Italy, and soon Rome became a protestant stronghold.

Ok, that game make no sence :rofl:

That makes some sense, actually. The Pope was no longer in the area, and the power of Rome was gone. Since Rome was on a major trade route, ideas in the area spread quickly. If one caught on in some part of the population, it was likely to expand quickly.

Though it is kinda weird that the Reformation started in poor southern Italy.

EDIT: Is the Castillian trade center Protestant?

EDIT2: Did Poland annex Venice?

EDIT3: Okay, this is a weird game. Why is Cornwall colonizing Canada?!

piff133 said:
That makes some sense, actually. The Pope was no longer in the area, and the power of Rome was gone. Since Rome was on a major trade route, ideas in the area spread quickly. If one caught on in some part of the population, it was likely to expand quickly.

Though it is kinda weird that the Reformation started in poor southern Italy.

EDIT: Is the Castillian trade center Protestant?

EDIT2: Did Poland annex Venice?

EDIT3: Okay, this is a weird game. Why is Cornwall colonizing Canada?!

If we think about it it may made sence. Even if its 1579.

The Castillan trade center effectivly became protestant a few months after protestantism started in that Aragonese province in south Italy.

Venice, after a few brutals war with me than they where reduced to a single-province state, was effectivly annexed by Poland. When i wanted to get it back (as Italy, 10 years after that screenshot), a bizzare war trough Austria began, with the Poles sending all to North Italy because of their military acces. Same went with me seizing Cracow...

I also have no idea about what Cornwall did in Canada.

That was definitivly a weird game, i had wars with Sweden about thoses silly small islands in the Baltic than i got at an obscure moment i don't even remember, as you can see they have an army in Austria and where ready to invade me at the time.

For the religion protestantism dominated the entire Spain and most of Italy, while Northern Europe remained absolutly loyal to the pope.

I like EU3, finally. :)

Persia seemed not to like the hot weather in the south.

8143010478532501226orig.jpg

This is from my Albania AAR game. Persia was never destroyed it still has the lands in the south of course it has lost most of it because it capital has somehow moved to Moskva. This is vanilla no NA. I do know how it happened. They had some rebel action down there and their capital was also occupied then the rebels managed to make Qara Koyunlu independent. The snag was that the capital also was included in Qara Koyunlu and somehow the computer decided that Moskva will be the new capital.

At least in EUII the new capital would be the richest or the most populous (don't remember) core province. Presumingly that is what happened here too.