• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well, it doesn't say that it's Napoleon. But anyone who knows a little bit about Enlightenment/Romantic art would be familiar with the picture of Napoleon Crossing the Alps.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napoleon_crossing_the_alps

As to the picture, I think there was a consensus when this picture was previously posted much earlier that he's either got a very long left leg or, if he and his horse are seen to be in proportion, he's just about to fall off his horse. Napoleon Crossing the Alps sort of looks like that picture except laterally reversed. And Napoleon has awfully tiny legs/a big body/is just about to fall off his horse.

Art is a confusing thing. That's why I never draw. It's more difficult than trigonometry and calculus.

Well, it doesn't say that it's Napoleon. But anyone who knows a little bit about Enlightenment/Romantic art would be familiar with the picture of Napoleon Crossing the Alps.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napoleon_crossing_the_alps

As to the picture, I think there was a consensus when this picture was previously posted much earlier that he's either got a very long left leg or, if he and his horse are seen to be in proportion, he's just about to fall off his horse. Napoleon Crossing the Alps sort of looks like that picture except laterally reversed. And Napoleon has awfully tiny legs/a big body/is just about to fall off his horse.

Art is a confusing thing. That's why I never draw. It's more difficult than trigonometry and calculus.

Well when you watch this one, you see that he does not resembles napoleon. Another hair style, another nose, another mouth, i think it is picture of someone else, just in simmiliar style of picturing. However i might be wrong, and i am just blind... but when you look at the two pictures, they are not simmiliar in my opinion.

EDIT: And horse despite also being white, looks somehow not the same. Horse hair is also having another tone.

Napoleons seems to have longer nose, thats the biggest difference that you can easily see.

Iwanow, that's why I didn't say for sure that it was Napoleon. I'm just saying the picture is definitely a homage to that famous painting of Napoleon.

I'm of the opinion that the artist tried to create their own interpretation of that portrait of Napoleon but without copying it down to the last detail, since, you know, one of the expansions to EU3 is called Napoleon's Ambition. But you're free to believe that he's whomever you like as the mystery won't be solved unless you ask the artist himself.

EDIT : Quote copied from Wikipedia

Napoleon Bonaparte said:
A resemblance? It isn't the exactness of the features, a wart on the nose which gives the resemblance. It is the character that dictates what must be painted...Nobody knows if the portraits of the great men resemble them, it is enough that their genius lives there.

Last edited:
I_SEE.jpg

I see....

No, I don't see. For some reason, the image is far too small to be read, and it won't enlarge. I'm using Firefox.

Judging from his post in the Worst Campaign thread, is it the event "The Aftermath"? Funnily enough, I got it once. After winning a war. While playing as a half-of-Europe-spanning Aragon. Because I didn't understand the concept of attrition then and just decided to march my doomstacks across Russia - it didn't matter since I was so powerful I would surely win, right?

No, I don't see. For some reason, the image is far too small to be read, and it won't enlarge. I'm using Firefox.

Judging from his post in the Worst Campaign thread, is it the event "The Aftermath"? Funnily enough, I got it once. After winning a war. While playing as a half-of-Europe-spanning Aragon. Because I didn't understand the concept of attrition then and just decided to march my doomstacks across Russia - it didn't matter since I was so powerful I would surely win, right?

Well, here you go then!:

"'NO_TEXT_FOR_KEY LASTWAR was an abject failure, and you know it!', the anger in your heir's voice is unmistakable. True, mistakes were made during NO_TEXT_FOR_KEY LASTWAR, but all of them were hardly yours. Besides, NO_TEXT_FOR_KEY HEIRNAME also commanded the troops. 'I believe it is time for you to retire, father." "The audacity..."

Strange Screenshots Episode VIII : Things are not as they seem

Do you ever get aggravated during a siege when you put your doomstack together with the AI's troops, and they absolutely refuse to assault? What about when your troops refuse to attack an unoccupied enemy province at all?

huhwhat1_zpsbe137a3a.png

Oh, wait. Anyway, I wonder whose idea it was to give Castille and Scotland, two of the generally more successful AI countries in a typical EU3 game, exactly the same colour. It's not like Spanish and Scottish people have very much in common apart from having interesting ideas about nationalism and autonomy. The only way to tell their provinces apart on the map would be to see whose army wears the kilts. Unless both of them did.

Damn. Now I can't get the thought of Castillians with kilts or Spanish with sporrans out of my head. Or Inquisitors with Irn-Bru and Moriscos with deep-fried Mars bars.

Anyway, I'm sure we have all encountered the following event. But has anyone actually moused over the choices to see what they do?

huhwhat2_zpsf947c2f5.png

That's not naval technology! It's just a ploy by fishermen to expand their profits! And your profits! So I guess it's actually a good thing.

They must've discovered the Aztec prophecy that a bunch of dudes with feathers in their hats would destroy their civilization and took appropriate measures.

Why would the Mamelouks declare war on me?

Screenshot is taken 2 days after war declaration...

View attachment 69546

Edit: To my surprise: Holy War works both ways.

I'm not trying to sound mean, but perhaps they just want to reclaim, oh I don't know... the 3/4 of their nation that isn't dirt poor? You shouldn't need a CB for that IMO.

And even if they didn't have Holy War, they could have used Reconquest.

EDIT: Nice Arabian empire by the way.

0zucX.jpg

I love to infiltrate administration and support pretenders with huge stacks on countries with no manpower left (in this case England)
It´s not very strange or odd, but this doomstack is the biggest I´ve seen in a pretty long time!