• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well it was founded as the successor of the western empire. The emperor was to be crowned by the pope in rome and until Frederik the second of Hohenstaufen enhanced the rights of the German princes it was even somewhat centralized. After that it only Charles V. came close to make it again into a real empire - he even dreamed of a united catholic empire until some mad monk named Luther get to reform the church.

Between those emperors and after that the empire ceased to be something to be called upon.

Not that the pope had any legitimate authority to do that though - he'd had nothing at all to do with who was Emperor in Rome, so the HRE's claim to be the Roman Empire was very weak. The Byzantine claim on the other hand was very strong (at least until 1204, and if you want until 1453) because they came directly from the Roman Empire.

They didn't come from the Roman Empire in as much as they were the Eastern Roman Empire.

Dulce et decorum :

Du0PI.png

That is me(castille) in lothian XD

And holland in achea.

Year 1438.

http://www.europa3.ru/cgi-bin/mpsta...int&season=comp-2012-4&game=XXI&yearsave=1438

This is sum of what happens when you attack someone protected by France and Spain.

Ottomans attack achea.

Holland join CTA from it's PU achea.

Holland CTA all its allies.

Castille ally holland.

Milan joins the war.

Castille joins the war.

England join the war.

Spain and France wipe ottoman-milan-austrian force.

England invade normandy, gets wiped partialy.

Brandenburg joins the war.

Spain invades england, england lose naval battle thru morale.

Spain lose 1 stack, but i invade again, 2 times, on second time succesfull.

England lose its whole army to invasion stacks.

England rebuilds its army, while i go siege london.

I go destroy this army and invade england with another 10k stack.

London gets sieged, and occupied because england refuse to peace.

I demand lothian from england, so even thou it agree to peace, it get much income loss due naval maintenance.

I peace out, england bankrupt due loans. I have lothian, england is excommunicated bankrupt with no army, and rebels everywhere.

Last edited:
Protestant Prussia about to become emperor of HRE without being a member of it.

Oh, come on. That's not fishy (though it would be if Prussia was played by the AI).

I've done this many times as Orthodox Russia and Catholic England/GB. All you need to do is vassalize the electors. Though, I admit, this shouldn't be the case and only HRE members should be electable

FhKw7.jpg

I didn't know that this could happen. Playing as Ottos and Aquileia was my vassal since 100 years back or something. Right before this screenshot was taken, I annexed Papal State (second time), who were located in Salzburg. After I annexed them, Aquileia turned into Papal State... and now the pope is my vassal?

If Pope is annexed (PAP doesnt exist on map), and if there is a Catholic theocracy somewhere, then it can get an event that lets it reform into PAP (by welcoming Pope to its court or whatever). This happened to you, but i agree its strange, they should probably add is_vassal = no as requirement for event.

If Pope is annexed (PAP doesnt exist on map), and if there is a Catholic theocracy somewhere, then it can get an event that lets it reform into PAP (by welcoming Pope to its court or whatever). This happened to you, but i agree its strange, they should probably add is_vassal = no as requirement for event.
Yeah I have seen it happen before, just not... to a vassal. And especially not to someone who is a vassal of a muslim nation.

Demand annexation! :D
Can't, they aren't muslim :p

FhKw7.jpg

I didn't know that this could happen. Playing as Ottos and Aquileia was my vassal since 100 years back or something. Right before this screenshot was taken, I annexed Papal State (second time), who were located in Salzburg. After I annexed them, Aquileia turned into Papal State... and now the pope is my vassal?

How did you manage to set your *insert it's name here* (that mini-list from the upper, right corner) to display your navies?