• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
xK5ej.jpg

King John III Locke of the Jewish Kingdom of York.

...This is awesome. >.>

Strange Screenshots Episode VI: Jocular Japan

Well, in order to make jokes about Japan, we first have to discover it ...

japwut1.png

Japan? Jolly good. What's more interesting is the existence of the Ansbachian (air)ship fleet anchored just off the coast of Bohemia.
(Exit pursued by a bear)

No, it's not a map cache error. There's a perfectly logical explanation for this - discoveries spread within the tech group in 50 years, and as a result of me playing Russia, many countries in the Muslim techgroup released in my numerous wars have inherited slider settings ideal for Westernisation, and all they need is a good monarch and an extended period of peace to get to Western tech. Ramazan, I think, reformed the tribal government, battled their way to Western tech, and even pulled ahead of Russia in research due to their status as a 2PM trading nation with zero infamy.

As a result, these Westernised former Muslim-tech countries brought all their discoveries to the Western tech group - which immediately led to a round of completely stupid DoWs from Western tech nations against weak Chinese tech countries which they could see, but not reach - due to not having discovered the Cape of Good Hope. Silly computer.

Also, Ansbach was picked because the entire Western tech group "discovered Japan" at once, but the event that fires can only pick a single nation, possibly by alphabetical order. So, Ansbach gets the honours due to how everyone ahead of them in the country name list - Aachen, Alsace, and Anhalt, to name a few, had all been annexed. It's just stupid because they're landlocked.

Anyway, I think it's pretty clear from my obsession with Japan that I'm a huge weeaboo. One of the most satisfying things to happen to me in my England WC game is for Kyoto to culture-shift to English (reverse weeaboo?). But I didn't expect this one ...

japwut2.png

Uh ... I have no idea how this happened. Also, what's a Hikeshi? A samurai part-timing as a fireman?

I had already conquered all of Japan at this point, so I'm not sure if this screwed something up in the game. Also I moved my capital to Ile-de-France because, naturally, the King of England is also the King of France. Also, a land connection to the rest of Eurasia-Africa.

Next time ... I don't know. Monarchs with silly names? Moron jokes? I'm out of the more unusual stuff.

EDIT : A-B-Cs.

Last edited:
I know that... but i don't find it strange.

Well why not? This is the first time I remember seeing an advisor without a last name.

I don't find it strange because I have happened to see this before. Therefore it is not strange to anyone, even those people who have played the games for years and have not encountered this before, because I happen to encompass all of Humanity.

Fixed, I think it's clearer what you were trying to say now.

Yea its a historical advisor, if you start the 1453 scenario as The Ottomans you have an advisor named Urban

Sure, but this was a Death And Taxes 1350 start. And if you look closely, he was born in my country (Greece), not the Turk's Country.

Actually, in Death and Taxes I have seen historical advisors numerous times. I think some of these are set to spawn in the province they originally came from, as I have seen da Vinci, Machiavelli, Immanuel Kant, and some more, just don't remember more names :p

Well this does not change the fact his name is in game database, and so he can spawn easily randomly if you don't have historical advisors.

How about all the Semen jokes in this thread then?

Everyone, let's not argue about a bunch of randomly-generated names in a computer game. But since we're on that topic ...

Strange Screenshots Episode VII : Rulers with Funny Names

Let's begin a little closer to home. Well, as close to my home as possible without actually being there, anyway.

Consolation Prize : Scotland
A land where people have a habit of having the same first name and last name.

names1.png

Third Place : Russia
Another land of people likewise possessing the habit of having the same first name and last name, as well as several interesting first names...

names3.png

When I read this name on my screen I thought for a moment ... Perestroika! Glasnost!
And I realised then that I wasn't very good at reading names.

names2.png

But this ruler is truly something special. You could even say ... he was the King of the Romans!

Random Honourable Mention : Laos

names4.png

Joy! A pretender, I mean, king has ascended! Happy happy, joy, Joy, joy!

Second Place : Frankfurt
An oldie but goodie.

names5.png

Citizen 1 - I hear that the new Lord Protector of Frankfurt is one August Dude.
Citizen 2 - I think most Lord Protectors are august dudes.
Citizen 1 - No, the last one was an Albrecht Achilles von Braunschweig-Lüneburg, dude ...
Citizen 2 - That's the longest name I've ever seen, but I'm pretty sure his last name wasn't "Dude".

The Winner : Gotland
I think it's safe to say that while Gotland has been the subject of much humour from PI, they also have the great fortune of being blessed with the most awesome ruler names. And ship names, too. But mostly the ruler names.

names6.png

Natt och Dag. Second most awesome last name for a king. Just that little more awesome than "von Braunschweig-Lüneburg", the last name so long that it can't even be printed in the nation's status screen. But it just pales in comparison to this last one.

names7.png

My King, what would you like to have printed in the press release? "A King has ascended!" "Gotland's Monarch is the King of Kings" "King Me" "All Hail King King!" "Born to be King!"

I just can't wait to be King.

EDIT : Grammar, can I has it.

Last edited:
Ha some great names there. I like the award style of the post! Keep the strange screenshots coming.

The best one I have is a Christian Mamluk OPM.. in Cyprus :p. With Syria & Egypt held by Islamic Georgia... Interesting to say the least. While not that strange in game terms, in historical terms beyond strange :p At my work computer will update it when I go home and find it.

lol