• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
longpasa said:

has anyone seen 1 like this? I can't understand :))

Trade investment +30 is the effect of a event that fires. Shortly after colonizing your first province, you get an event about what to do with the natives. You must have chosen "Trade with them" (don't remember the exact wording). This will fire the "Lucrative Trade" event that gives a +30 gc investment in trade tech for x number of months. I have never had more then 3 at the same time, so the number you have is just insane!

Sophianumg@mer said:
The point I wish to make is that "Stad" is City in Dutch. But wasn't the original question what a stadtholder was not what it meant ;)

Ah! Now we're getting somewhere. In the German, it is clearly "stead", rather than "city." I suspect that, with all these terms, there is a common root meaning "place," as in "a particular location," while later, you get a more abstract meaning, as in "one's place in society."

I think the meaning of the term was never really in question: A person who fills a function, who is in charge de facto, but not de jure; in that he rules/governs/administers in someone else's name.

eu3cotabout300.jpg

Hmmm where is Oran getting all of its wealth from... Well the beauty of the whole world mod is that there are lots or nice Diamond producing provinces, belonging to the Zulus, anyway you can guess how desperate I am to go after those.

SeedSnatcher said:
That's an awful lot of great advisors you must've had... :wacko:
imagething
There are clearly Finns living in the country...
EU3_9.png

So why don't they count as people for statistical purposes? :confused:

You can't control the finns, ;)

kanzlooz said:

after disbanding my 2 ships near corsica the marker stayed there.. I was still able to see corsica but I had no land, army of ships near that place also not an ally... also very stupid Icould only see Corsica and not the other nations there like Genoa :confused:

I tried everything to get it away, put a ship in that place and then sail away but it still was there.. okay no problem I thought.. so I saved and restart

then I found out it the marker was even in the starting page where you can select your country.. in the save game and the historical start...

okay maybe just starting then we'll see it's still there.. and it was.. then I tried to do it with another nation.. but also then the marker was there..

I tried restarting the game and still it didn't disappear... but after restarting my comp. it finally did :)

Yout think YOU'RE confused, you should see the looks on the faces of sailors going through there. :eek:

It would be cool to be able to stamp the map, though. Like to stamp a big "L" over Paris or Wien or somewhere else that irritates you. Or to give you're allies a nice smily face over their capital. :)

Uni Maximilian said:
Qara Koyunlu's economy seems a little broken..

my.php

And the 168% trade efficiency for Portugal seems also quite impressive to me. Haven't seen it this high for any nation in my games so far. What level of trade technology do you need for this ?

Helius said:
Ah! Now we're getting somewhere. In the German, it is clearly "stead", rather than "city." I suspect that, with all these terms, there is a common root meaning "place," as in "a particular location," while later, you get a more abstract meaning, as in "one's place in society."

I think the meaning of the term was never really in question: A person who fills a function, who is in charge de facto, but not de jure; in that he rules/governs/administers in someone else's name.

Thing is, Stadtholder is probably the old Dutch way of saying it. The way Dutch is spelled has drastically changed since the time of "stadtholders". In fact "old Dutch" looks more like German and we even used to have those German kinds of conjugations. (Some of them are still in use: Koninkrijk der Nederlanden, heer des huizes) So I wouldn't be surprised if Stadtholder was in use in the Netherlands even though it's now spelled as Stadhouder.

comagoosie said:
-99% prestige, -3 stab, 1000% inflation, 3.0 income :eek:

Their ruler must of been the worst of all time.

Did Mugabe go back in time?

I think the term was introduced via German and therefore it clearly means "stead". Because i just read a book about the Roman empire in german and and the people who administrate provinces for the Caesars are called "Statthalter". So there is no realtion to "Stadt"/City.
So in german its clearly mean "the one who holds the land/titles/rights "in stead"/anstatt the real ruler.
Problem solved.
BTW the term could have come to Holland when there was the Wittelsbach branch Straubing-Holland. Surely there had to be a "Statthalter " in Holand when the ruler was in Straubing/Bavaria.

Duke of Bavaria said:
I think the term was introduced via German and therefore it clearly means "stead". Because i just read a book about the Roman empire in german and and the people who administrate provinces for the Caesars are called "Statthalter". So there is no realtion to "Stadt"/City.
So in german its clearly mean "the one who holds the land/titles/rights "in stead"/anstatt the real ruler.
Problem solved.
BTW the term could have come to Holland when there was the Wittelsbach branch Straubing-Holland. Surely there had to be a "Statthalter " in Holand when the ruler was in Straubing/Bavaria.

In fact it is a term that also is in use in french and english. The military rank 'lieutenant' comes from the 'lieu tenant': literally the place keeper

Wikipedia 'Lieutenant' said:
The word lieutenant derives from French; the lieu meaning "place" as in a position; and tenant meaning "holding" as in "holding a position"; thus a "lieutenant" is somebody who holds a position in the absence of his or her superior (compare the cognate Latin locum tenens).