• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Screaming-Eagle,
You can get Mec divisions after a certain point but they are unlocked by events. I got mech divisions in 1943 as the USSR but I haven't unlocked them yet in my current US game. I'm not entirely certain what you need in order to get the mech/armor divisions. I hope LM+ will let us in on what exactly is needed to get Mechs.

The US has a lot of ic, like vanilla, but I've had a pretty fun game as them. I was still able to field an enormous fleet and beat Japan pretty easily. Germany is looking a little tougher because they have taken all of European Russia (no bitter peace yet, but they have all the required territories).

Eowunyth said:
What events are there for Argentina to make them more aggressive and are their any that allows them to unite most the south of South America under their rule?

There are events which increase their agricultural exports, helping them trading money for much-needed resources. And there are events in '38 giving them claims on chile, paraguay and uruguay, and events in '39 and '40 which could lead to a war against Uruguay, Paraguay and Brasil. Better be prepared!

danielshannon said:
Screaming-Eagle,
You can get Mec divisions after a certain point but they are unlocked by events. I got mech divisions in 1943 as the USSR but I haven't unlocked them yet in my current US game. I'm not entirely certain what you need in order to get the mech/armor divisions. I hope LM+ will let us in on what exactly is needed to get Mechs.

Actually, only the USSR and Germany get "Mec divisions". They repersent formations that LM+ deemed had enough armored vehicles to be classified as hard units. See the 'mechanized Text Document' for LM's full explanation.

Passive Chinese
Will look at this. I may have neglected to remove the Doomsday AI that enforces the historical course of the war.

Saulot333: Thank you very much for your kind words!

Have you guys checked in the 34mod? a cooperation might be juicy...
Epsilon and Mod 34 (or another mod):
Among the possibilities for the future of Epsilon is cooperation/union with, or even incorporation into, another mod. I am not at all wedded to the idea of maintaining a seperate project - although I certainly can be convinced. The objective is to get more coolness into the hands of players. The method I am very much open to ideas on.

If I had to pick one mod that has the most of what Epsilon lacks, and most needs what Epsilon has, it would be Mod 34. I believe that cooperation in some form would be of benefit to both.

Events from emekien and HIP:
I will definitely talk to the maintainers of both and find out what their rules on usage of their material are.

Build restrictions (SOV as example):
I really don't want to enforce any very restrictive build scheme on SOV (or any other) players. Given a choice between perfecting historical realism and maximizing player choice and control, Epsilon will generally lean towards the latter. Historical constraints will usually be models by cost/effectiveness adjustments instead of outright requirements or prohibitions.

Also, making SOV more interesting to play is a personal goal of mine. Every modder seems to have a yen for adding more coolness to Germany, but the Soviet Union gets neglected or treated as some kind of zerg rush borg. I think that's unfair.

Bugs and Bugs?:
- Some doctrines do raise submarine org very slightly to simulate greater ability to maintain an extended sea battle. The obvious case is that of the Wolfpack doctrine. However, subs will always be quick strike, quick gateaway tools. If you feel that subs are too weak or powerful in naval combat, I will raise or lower naval attack or positioning.

- Max combat penalty and HQ effect: Not sure what exactly the best course is here - this is a area of flux. I do know that I don't want a -95% penalty from anything. Going back to -75% until I figure things out doesn't seem like a bad idea.

- Usage (or lack thereof) of "doubletime": Lack of usage is mostly deliberate, but I will need to re-check consistency.

- Usage of less than five tech components: Deliberate. I have planes for further tech revisions and you can expect to see more of this.

- Mec divisions: Only SOV has something actually called "mechanized" and which is considered "hard" for combat rules purposes. The closest equivalent in Epsilon to the historical division the base game seems to be trying to model with the "mechanized infantry" unit is a motorized division with the Mechanized Support attachment. The USA is very fond of these.

- New models of Mechanized attachments become available over time, by event. Read the events to find out what you need for the next upgrade. In brief, it's up-to-date research in SP-AT, SP-ART, AA, and RECON. If you don't want to invest all that research time - and only a few nations are able to - your best option is to go with Mech Elite attachments.

USA and SOV peacetime modifiers, "big monsters", and MP games:
- This is a vexed subject. I want the USA AI to finally become an historically dangerous opponent capable after about 1943 of being just as dangerous as SOV to Germany and a mortal threat to Japan. Unfortunately, there are a LOT of things that stand in the way of getting this right. Poor sea warfare/convoying/amphibious AI can be fixed ... or at least patched over with enough special assistance. Stopping the American AI from frittering away its strength in useless battles before it has time to build up strength is something I haven't figured out how to solve (nor has anyone else whose work I've looked at... :( ). Finding a balance between a USA that 1) when AI-controlled, doesn't accomplish anything like the historical performance (current Doomsday and even Epsilon) and 2) when human-controlled, smashes everything in sight in MP games (what Epsilon is risking if I keep doing what I'm doing) is going to involve a LOT of "special help" (in plain English, cheating) for the AI.

- To return to the original suggestion, I do know that I want to see an extremely formidable USA industry after that nation gets in a war with great powers. How exactly this is accomplished doesn't matter. I don't mind raising the starting peacetime penalty, but I do like the IC figure the USA has in 1942, so would need to (further) strengthen the mobilization events.

Playing the USA:
- Is easier in Epsilon than it is in the original game due to more powerful mobilization events. In future versions (no timeframe), I will let players cut the USA down to a level that they feel is more balanced and challenging for that particular game, or to allow that game to apply the full range of AI cheats and assistance to let the USA do what it did historically.

I really like this mod. I like it as it already is and I even more like where it's heading. I'm currently having a ball playing Italy and rampaging through Africa and Asia (except for the fact that Italian tech teams and military leaders mostly suck).

I also very much like your "openness" in terms of mod design. I surely hope that Epsilon can greatly benefit from mutual integration.

LM+,

Thanks for sharing this work with the rest of us. I installed and started up and while things look about right (a missing tech picture here and there) two things stuck out to me:

1. Germany started with CAS-8 available to build. I assume this is not correct.

2. Confusing Tech Trees (at least to me) - the little symbols next to techs seem a little confusing, as well as trying to determine what are requirements for items (techs or builds) Could there be more text in the future "readmes" of the mod?

Got a question about the Soviets, how come the majority of divisions they build is reserve? That seems to be to me why they always lose. Why don't they just build normal INF divisions?

gunboat said:
1. Germany started with CAS-8 available to build. I assume this is not correct.

I suspect this has to do with the fact that the mod works around the existing units by using unused numbers. Hence CAS-8 is probably the early dive bomber.

There are other similar things, such as Recon Naval Bombers (NAV-7, if memory serves me), as well as several ship units with mixed-up numbers.

I think it is WAD, albeit very confusing.

UncleAlias said:
I suspect this has to do with the fact that the mod works around the existing units by using unused numbers. Hence CAS-8 is probably the early dive bomber.

There are other similar things, such as Recon Naval Bombers (NAV-7, if memory serves me), as well as several ship units with mixed-up numbers.

I think it is WAD, albeit very confusing.

You are right UncleAlias, the CAS-8 is a dive bomber (Improved Dive Bomber). Just another example of LM+ using some creativity to get the most of the HOI2 game engine.

For your long range plans, you will probably want to stick to building standard CAS (they have more upgrade potential) since the dive bomber will soon become obsolete. But I couldn't help building as Germany a few air fleets of Stukas, just for the flavor of it.

I know that within the game, the tech trees might seem a bit daunting; but I would advise taking a little time and reading the unit/brigade/tech files. LM+ has done a great job placing notes on the thoughts that went into creating the units/tech for his mod.

A side note, have any of you experienced being able to upgrade your light armored units to regular armor units before you have been able to unlock the armor tech? Just happened to me in my German campaign. Wonder if that is something that can be fixed or if its a glitch within HOI2 Doom itself.

MacDunne said:
LM+ has done a great job placing notes on the thoughts that went into creating the units/tech for his mod.

Pardon my ignorance, but where are those notes? I have not located them and when there is mention of "unlocking" armor and so forth, I would like to figure out what is required to unlock a unit or tech. thanks. (I have not played the game beyond a few days, so it may be that my questions are answered in game with messages)

gunboat said:
Pardon my ignorance, but where are those notes? I have not located them and when there is mention of "unlocking" armor and so forth, I would like to figure out what is required to unlock a unit or tech. thanks. (I have not played the game beyond a few days, so it may be that my questions are answered in game with messages)
Just check th db/units folder inside your Doomsday installation....In each file there is an initial comment made by LM+...very interesting.

gunboat said:
I have not located them and when there is mention of "unlocking" armor and so forth, I would like to figure out what is required to unlock a unit or tech. thanks. (I have not played the game beyond a few days, so it may be that my questions are answered in game with messages)

Sorry, probably used the wrong word in my post. Should have used the word "activate" instead of "unlock". When I was writing about unlocking the armor unit, I was refering to researching either the tech "Balanced armor" or "Blitzkrieg" (located in the Land Doctrine portion of the tech tree).

Once one of these techs are researched, it allows you to build regular armor units instead of just light armor and infantry support armor. A nice addition to the game, except that I think there is a glitch in HOI2 game engine, since I found that I was able to upgrade my light armor units to regular armor units even though (as Germany) I had yet to finish researching Blitzkrieg.

One thing I noted about tech teams, is that there seem to be new specialities, especially for doctrines. Yet, I have found precious few tech teams that have them.

hi,
bug found : in event file ai_switches_ENG.txt event 125521 has in action_a :
command = { type = ai which = "switch/eng_recapture.ai" }
this file eng_recapture.ai is missing in ai folder. this leads to a database error in game where you can choose either to ignore, cancel or retry.

This happens while I was invading UK with Germany, altough I notice that the UK AI is very passive during invasion and didn't sent on me the Home Fleet.

except this, the more i play, the more i find very interesting idea in this mod.
cheers

Enzo said:
hi,
bug found : in event file ai_switches_ENG.txt event 125521 has in action_a :
command = { type = ai which = "switch/eng_recapture.ai" }
this file eng_recapture.ai is missing in ai folder. this leads to a database error in game where you can choose either to ignore, cancel or retry.

Thanx for pointing out this bug. Since LM+ has used some files from DAIM, I'm going to copy over DAIM's eng_recapture.ai file over into Epsilon's file. Should work as a quick fix, until LM can respond.

I also found a very minor bug. The German event 2075 should have
Command = { }
under option B.
This will allow a German player to keep the Old Guard leaders around if that is what he wants to do; currently you are forced to retire the Old Guards.

Also started a new game using LM's suggestion of 250 money cost for counter espionage. That cost has been working well for me. I've also come around as far as the higher cost for the other spy actions. As LM has pointed out, money is alot more plentiful in this mod so the higher cost is necessary to keep espionage actions from becoming routine.

I also noticed what Uncle Alias pointed out. I'm not sure if the lack of these new specialties among the tech teams is WAD, or if the tech teams will be updated in the future. Would be curious to find out.

LM, enjoying your mod greatly. Espicially like what you have done with the brigades, especially removing the police brigade (and just make the garrison unit better at suppression) and replacing it with something more useful.

Looking forward to seeing where this mod will go in the future especially the hint at changes to be done with the SOV. (although it is very playable at its current state)

BobDinosaur said:
Stupid question- does "Fund Partisans" cause a partisan infantry to pop up or does it just raise the discontent in an area?

Just raises the dissent level in the target province. (although this does increase the chance for a partisan infantry to pop up)