• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Thanks to all who have tried Epsilon out thus far.

Inclusion of readme
- Ah, right. The readme. It's in now.

Espionage
The most serious player hiccup seems to be with the changes to the espionage system. Here is what I want to happen:
1) Greatly reduced micro-management in the placing of spies. No endless tries to place 'em, they just arrive and pretty cheaply too. This means that it's worth getting spies in countries other than Great Powers.

2) Counter-espionage to become very expensive and, unless you have a full set of 10 agents, very difficult. I don't want to see human-controlled nations immediately flushing out all enemy agents and becoming immune to espionage. That's what happens in the basic game and I think it ruins the whole point. What makes it worse is that AI nations don't perform this mission!
- However, I also want it to be the case that IF 1) you've prepared the ground and have 10 agents in your country, 2) the bad guys have enough agents in place to start getting really dangerous, and 3) you're prepared to spend what it takes, then counter-espionage should still be able to be effective.

3) To balance #1 and #2, usage of spies for operations other than passive intel-gathering needs to be expensive, especially for powerful missions.

I very much doubt that the current version of Epsilon accomplishes these three things. Suggestions on tweaking values to make this happen - or reasons why the objectives themselves ought to change - are welcome.

Brazil stuff
- The next version (don't hold your breath for it) will remove the standard election events.

- I increased the neutrality of Great Britain in the pre-war period (In Doomsday the AI gets more frisky if you don't watch it...). When the Brits actually get in a war, they will become much more interested in making friends with you.

- There is no event that guarantees that Argentina will join the Axis if Brazil joins the Allies. There is, however, an event that encourages it to seek alliance partners by reducing domestic isolationism and neutrality. More testing is needed here, but my focus is elsewhere (I need to concentrate on AI and basic game issues and will hope for support from the player community to help with specific topics such as this one).

Mess-ed up tech graphics
- I finally managed to get the corrected tech pictures uploaded. What a ridiculously huge file it is: 156 MB uncompressed! See post #1.

Ethopia
- Send me more reports like this one, please. If people think there's a pattern of effective Ethopian resistance, I'll look over the Italian AI again. This is just the sort of stuff I need to know.

Unit Icons
- Do NOT just use CPack's (or anyone else's) unit icons for DD for Epsilon! There will be so many errors it won't even be funny! The reason why I supply CPack's Doomsday icons is that people who really want individualized Germany infantry or the like can make their own conversions. Also they work great in the base game! :)

- As a modder, I have to focus my time and energy on what I think I can be of most help with. Graphics aren't it. Epsilon includes an absolute minimum of pretty pictures, not because graphics aren't important and much appreciated, but because 1) I lack skill in this area and 2) want to devote my attention to gameplay.

- That said, I didn't go with CPack's unit icons because of time constraints. Nope. I looked at GIP, at SKIF, and at DMP, and decided that CPack's clean, neat "tabletop model" approach worked better with Epsilon than the artistic effects sought by other designers. Of course this is just IMHO. If you really want to see a different unit icon set, I will be more than happy to include a link to any set correctly modified for Epsilon and having the permission of the original creator(s).

Starfire Extended combat
Yes, Epsilon has a variant of Starfire-style extended combat. It's a bit of a compromise; ground battles last longer than in the base game, shorter than in MOD 33 or TRP. Commentatary on the feel of land, air, air-to-ground, naval, and air-versus-naval combat is welcomed; I have no doubt at all that fine-tuning is needed.

Nation Colors
- Yes, Epsilon national color tweaking started off with the Sexxicolors mod. I also use many of the sexxileaders.
- If you find a prettier color for Great Britain, feel free to post it. Just don't suggest brown.

999 Airdefence?
- In the base game, aircraft become extremely deadly to ground troops if their attack ratings outmatch the unit's air defence. Not only do they have lots of hit attempts, but each attempt above the air defence is more likely to succeed. If you don't like this effect - and I don't - there are at least three ways to fix it. I chose to increase air defence to 999 and get rid of (most of) the tech or event effects. Other, perhaps more elegent, solution is to 1) set air defence to 0, 2) carefully remove ALL possible modifiers, and 3) rebalance soft/hard attack of aircraft. I will probably do it this way at some point.

About Intelligence. I like your goals (although, by my book, I find Intelligence actions not very cost-effective, to begin with), but I think it is much too nerfed as it stands. As I said, playing with France and with the full ten spies contingent, the five counterspying actions I took resulted in five dead French spies and 2500 gold down the drain.

One solution could be to increase the efficiency of country-focused counterspying actions.

As they stand, Intel actions are both very costly and very ineffective, which is not the best combination: if you dramatically increase the costs, at least increase the efficiency as well.

I however agree that one problem of Intel is that the AI does not play with it as much as it should.

I suggest an increase in the counter-intel effectiveness....however, with the current settings (spy: easy to place, hell to elminate), the AI gets to use them a lot more and that is REALLY great. The only problem is that, apparently, USA thinks ahead, because it uses the vast majority of its considerable money to disrupt soviet production.
Air/Land combat looks good, my CAS are effective, just not deadly, a good balance.

Regarding Ethiopia, in my game, it was annexed in July 1938. Similarly, Spanish Civil War is more or less a stalemate -- has been so for the past year -- and the Japanese gets its ass handed over to him by China.

I suspect the combat system may be at stake here.

UncleAlias said:
Regarding Ethiopia, in my game, it was annexed in July 1938. Similarly, Spanish Civil War is more or less a stalemate -- has been so for the past year -- and the Japanese gets its ass handed over to him by China.

I suspect the combat system may be at stake here.

I ran a handsoff as Cuba (Difficulty: Even, Normal by Event, Normal Agressivness) today.

Italy annexed Ethiopia on March 8, 1936, they were decisivley approaching Addis-Abeba with two Mot Divisions as soon as they got through the weak Ethiopian lines.
It's october '38 now and the SCW has come to a complete stalement for almost half a year now with no side attempting to do anything.
Japan doesn't exactly lose but they seem to lose ground, very slowly but the chinese could get the upper-hand soon.

I'll continue the handsoff asap to see what will happen next, unfortunately I don't have the time to actually play myself, from what I've seen up until now this mod really seems promising.

Oh, and one thing I really LOVE is that you give the option how 'stoney-roadish' :D the player wants his game! Thanks for that, really awesome!!!

Its 1939, the Estado Novo Event never fired for Brazil, I joined Argentina with Germany Manually.
I fired the Estado Novo events manually, and installed Gomes in 39.
The SCW has remained 100% Static for 2 Years, Danzig or War fired, and it still is going strong. The Republicans hold the middle area of Spain, and the Nationalists are divied up into to parts, one in the North, One in the South. The Nationalists have Air and Naval Superiority. It is on Furious.
Japan has so few troops that its only a matter of Months until China begins it counter Offensive. Yunnan DOWed NC, and traded North Yunnan for parts of South NC.
Japan has good IC, but doesn't appear to be building more troops. It stands at 136/111. Nat China has 71/70 IC, and has a huge Troop Advantage. Other than that the Front is mostly static.

Secondly I had unbelievable fun playing this mod, and would like to someday, when I am a better Modder of Events, dedicate my time to its development. I could fix the Brazil Event Problems some day. I would like to dedicate some of my Free Time to it.

One Question, does every Event need Event.txt? If so, how in the world do you write Event.txt? I know you need a Swedish Dictionary, luckily an amazing program that makes events came with Mod 34.

Suggestions:
Make a new Japanese AI for 1940-41. My historical basis is that was when Japan launched its Ichi-GO Operation, that linked up with Indochina. This AI would improve Japan's Aggressiveness at a Historical Time.

The SCW appears to Stalemate, so Significant Combat System or AI modding is needed there. That or give huge bonuses to the Nationalists.

British Garrison AI:
When Danzig or War fired the British had nothing in Egypt, and maybe 3-4 Div in Africa. Also before the Anshcluss the British moved the entire Home Island Garrison to Stornoway. After they sent everything back, but that might be important information.

I will post what happened in the Polish Campaign next. The Mod's Tech Tree seems good as far as I am concerned.

Thanks for your feedback in advance, great mod!

Hi,
this mod looks very good, currently playing in sp with ger. It looks promising. I particularly like :

- Doctrine tech tree which impose condition to obtain specific unit (like nav)
- The elite brigade
- Combat system based on starfire, also moving gde to 100 for each country is brillant, will test first combat in 2 years ...
- Sexycolor map
- Espionage, even if having a such high % to put a spy in a country, allow every country to see the number of unit a country can have.

I would have prefer :
- Original icons set
- More ressource restriction, stockpiling seems quite easy (playing normal/normal).

I do have an overall feeling that you've put a lot of reflexion in it, and has setup very solid base to provide an excellent mod.

Thanks to sharing this with the community :cool:

In my Argentina game things took a really interesting turn in China...
Nationalists Dowed Guanxi (as always) but, when given the choice, they decided to continue the war. This triggered a civil war, with Yunnan and Shanzi allying Guanxi and striking at Chang forces from all sides. Mao DOWed Shanzi, hitting them hard, while Sinkiang joined the fray and DOWed Xibei (allied with Nationalists).
And then...Marco Polo incident! Japan troops took Shanxi by complete surprise, triggering the United Front event: Nationalists annexed Guanxi, Shanxi and Xibei, and continued the fight against an enlarged Yunnan and a bold Sinkiang, with the most unlikely ally: Mao! Japan forces seems to have a much easier time but their coast invasion is being repelled.

Started a game with Italy. Ethiopia was a walk in the park, but then, I noticed something weird: Italy has seven MOT divisions in 1936 -- without even having the tech!

Also, terminology can be very confusing, between the tech name, the unit name as it appears in the production window and on the icon, etc. Some ships available in 1936 appear as "1945" on the icon.

One last thing: would it be possible to have the tech pic file as a .rar or .zip file instead of .exe? It would be easier for us non-Windows users.

I have a weird bug with this mod. The Vatican State keeps declaring independence from the holy see and the holy See keeps annexing it. This happens weekly, at least. I'm playing the USSR on normal.

Great work, btw!

danielshannon said:
I have a weird bug with this mod. The Vatican State keeps declaring independence from the holy see and the holy See keeps annexing it. This happens weekly, at least. I'm playing the USSR on normal.

Great work, btw!

That is designed to work that way,all the mods do this as a bug fix,it upgrades your units i Believe.

danielshannon said:

Great work, btw!

You can right click the message and have it just display in the game log so it will not drive you crazy.

Has anyone checked to see if this mod is compatible with JSGME? JSGME was developed for SHIII (but is compatible with HOI2) and allows to you add/remove mods as desired and will automatically backup needed files.

BobDinosaur said:
Has anyone checked to see if this mod is compatible with JSGME? JSGME was developed for SHIII (but is compatible with HOI2) and allows to you add/remove mods as desired and will automatically backup needed files.

Works.